Poll: Favorite Pattaya Area Place For Mexican Food

Jingthing

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am so glad there is no shameless promoting to skewer the poll results!!! giggle.gif

Whatever. In any case, the poll and results are for entertainment purposes only.

BTW, congratulations to Mike's Mexican as the probable winner of this poll. Maybe some people who haven't tried it before will try it. Heck, I may even give Tequila Reef another try for their chile con carne dishes. cowboy.gif Hope springs eternal.

That said, I still suggest y'all check out the CUSTOMIZED burrito option at Sunrise.

Kinda confirmed the shameless promoting aspect JT!!!! clap2.gif

Umm, so what? It's no secret that I think Sunrise Tacos is the best Mexican restaurant in town. Not anywhere near perfect, and the competition isn't stiff, but again, no secret.

Some things about it would even be remarkable if they were competing in a really competitive Mexican food market:

-- the vast salsa bar including ones made from fresh mango and fresh pineapple

-- the distinctive in-house made tortilla chips

-- the distinctive in-house made soft corn tortillas

-- the taco promotion days

-- the beef birria, it ain't authentic to use beef instead of goat, but it IS different

-- the American pie menu (not my thing at all but it is different)

No, honestly, I wouldn't eat there (or any local choices) in a big American city, but still I think they are doing great things ... for being in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so glad there is no shameless promoting to skewer the poll results!!! giggle.gif

Whatever. In any case, the poll and results are for entertainment purposes only.

BTW, congratulations to Mike's Mexican as the probable winner of this poll. Maybe some people who haven't tried it before will try it. Heck, I may even give Tequila Reef another try for their chile con carne dishes. cowboy.gif Hope springs eternal.

That said, I still suggest y'all check out the CUSTOMIZED burrito option at Sunrise.

Kinda confirmed the shameless promoting aspect JT!!!! clap2.gif

Umm, so what? It's no secret that I think Sunrise Tacos is the best Mexican restaurant in town. Not anywhere near perfect, and the competition isn't stiff, but again, no secret.

Some things about it would even be remarkable if they were competing in a really competitive Mexican food market:

-- the vast salsa bar including ones made from fresh mango and fresh pineapple

-- the distinctive in-house made tortilla chips

-- the distinctive in-house made soft corn tortillas

-- the taco promotion days

-- the beef birria, it ain't authentic to use beef instead of goat, but it IS different

-- the American pie menu (not my thing at all but it is different)

No, honestly, I wouldn't eat there (or any local choices) in a big American city, but still I think they are doing great things ... for being in Thailand.

Sorry JT - you are too funny!!!

• Like 1

ok.. it seems there are still those reading this thread that need to hear more about the salsa bar at Sunrise Taco. Perhaps it would be a good idea to discuss each one we like.

Personally I like the green one that is a bit thick and it's the 2nd one on the top row. The one right below it is also green but a bit thinner and is also good for putting on the tacos and such. I'm not a big fan of the sweet salsas with fruit in them. Of course, I always appreciate having the bin full of jalapenos since I cover my food in those. Other places like mike's I remember being charged extra when I requested some.

For me Sunrise beats Mike's purely for the Taco promotionon Tuesday and Friday (2-7pm). The crispy/hard tacos at Sunrise are tasty, have good variety and are of great value. I've been to both places and have realized I'm not a fan of any dish that is enclosed in a soft taco (Sunrise: Tacos, Mikes: Burrito/Enchilada). I can also care less about a salsa bar, but I can appreciate that a restaurant (Sunrise) having such a feature will get many votes.

So for cost you choose Sunrise but for food Mike's?

For me Sunrise beats Mike's purely for the Taco promotionon Tuesday and Friday (2-7pm). The crispy/hard tacos at Sunrise are tasty, have good variety and are of great value. I've been to both places and have realized I'm not a fan of any dish that is enclosed in a soft taco (Sunrise: Tacos, Mikes: Burrito/Enchilada). I can also care less about a salsa bar, but I can appreciate that a restaurant (Sunrise) having such a feature will get many votes.

I used to enjoy Mikes but had a very bad incident there that involved violence and the police and after that swore I'd never go back. They lost a regular for sure that day. For me when I found sunrise it was a god send since after I put Mike's on the blacklist I had nothing to replace it with.

edit: let me add that all the smokers in there while I'm trying to enjoy my food is another HUGE turnoff. Even Mike sits in the middle of the restaurant smoking. There is no place to sit and avoid smoke which for me has always been a HUGE negative for any restaurant. I have filled out the customer survey cards they have and said such but I could see mike in the corner reading it while smoking. They don't care. Definitely not a business run for the benefit of the paying customers.

Edited by Jayman

I will only speak about hard tacos for that is what I enjoy.

Both restaurants had very different versions. Sunrise's were mini-sized, maybe 30% smaller than a standard taco shell. Mikes's were large and irregularily shaped (barrel shaped as opposed to the usual 'U'), maybe 30% bigger than a standard taco shell. Sunrise had the standard ground beef (Sirloin) for it's beef taco whereas Mike's had a very unusual pulled pork style of beef within.

Mikes wins for inventiveness/originality but Sunrise wins for Value (Taco Tuesday/Friday). Taste-wise they were very different but equally good.

Overall, Sunrise wins only on Tuesday and Friday from 2-7pm, the other days & times they are about equal.

Ground beef in a taco (and other antijitos) is a Tex-Mex thing. Sunrise offers three kinds of beef choices for their tacos and burritos:

Ground beef

Grilled beef (carne asada)

Barbacoa (BBQ shredded beef)

On taco promotion days, only ground beef is offered of the beef choices.

Taco promotion days have a good choice of taco fillings, but definitely not ALL of the possible choices from their menu.

Look at the regular menu and the CUSTOMIZED tacos and burrito forms for all the kinds of meat options.

Serving shredded beef in Mexican food is not by any stretch of the imagination "original".

I realize lots of people who grew up with Tex-Mex ground beef prefer it but you don't see that in Mexico.

Edited by Jingthing

Ground beef in a taco (and other antijitos) is a Tex-Mex thing. Sunrise offers three kinds of beef choices for their tacos and burritos:

Ground beef

Grilled beef (carne asada)

Barbacoa (BBQ shredded beef)

On taco promotion days, only ground beef is offered of the beef choices.

Taco promotion days have a good choice of taco fillings, but definitely not ALL of the possible choices from their menu.

Look at the regular menu and the CUSTOMIZED tacos and burrito forms for all the kinds of meat options.

Serving shredded beef in Mexican food is not by any stretch of the imagination "original".

I realize lots of people who grew up with Tex-Mex ground beef prefer it but you don't see that in Mexico.

On all you can eat taco days you can get 2 types of pork. 1 is the carnitas and the other is the pulled pork style. I usually just eat pork tacos on tuesdays/fridays. The ground beef is just kinda eh. Honestly I've never even tried the chicken cause I heard so many not so great things about it.

The two choices of pork on taco days are carnitas (shredded and/or chunked and fried) and sliced off al pastor (derived from Middle east Shwarma rotating spit style). I have no idea if Sunrise actually uses the traditional rotating spit for their al pastor but it served in slices as if it is. Those are the sum of the pork choices on their full menu as well. Taco days also offer Baja fish tacos and "grilled" chicken tacos. Shredded chicken is offered on the full menu.

Edited by Jingthing

The two choices of pork on taco days are carnitas (shredded and/or chunked and fried) and sliced off al pastor (derived from Middle east Shwarma rotating spit style). I have no idea if Sunrise actually uses the traditional rotating spit for their al pastor but it served in slices as if it is. Those are the sum of the pork choices on their full menu as well. Taco days also offer Baja fish tacos and "grilled" chicken tacos. Shredded chicken is offered on the full menu.

Yes.. I just pulled my pocket menu out.. it's carnitas (pulled style) and al pastor. I seem to prefer the carnitas style.

JT, I gave you the perfect setup on the salsa bar... Did you miss my post? I was hoping you'd jump in and comment on the variety of salsa's. I started with my preference for the 2 green ones (can't remember either name)

JT, I gave you the perfect setup on the salsa bar... Did you miss my post? I was hoping you'd jump in and comment on the variety of salsa's. I started with my preference for the 2 green ones (can't remember either name)

I wouldn't want anyone to think I am a shill for Sunrise Tacos! So, folks, check Sunrise Tacos out for yourself. Don't listen to me. Don't forget to look at the vast salsa bar, something no other Mexican place in town offers.

BTW, now Mike's is beating Sunrise by a 2 to 1 ratio. So what's good for y'all there?

Edited by Jingthing

I wouldn't want anyone to think I am a shill for Sunrise Tacos! So, folks, check Sunrise Tacos out for yourself. Don't listen to me. Don't forget to look at the vast salsa bar, something no other Mexican place in town offers.

BTW, now Mike's is beating Sunrise by a 2 to 1 ratio. So what's good for y'all there?

Actually, each delicious salsa at Sunrise Tacos salsa bar deserves it's own thread.

BTW, now Mike's is beating Sunrise by a 2 to 1 ratio.

So what's good for y'all there?

you're not going to be there.........

Edited by timekeeper
  • Like 2

I used to enjoy Mikes but had a very bad incident there that involved violence and the police and after that swore I'd never go back. They lost a regular for sure that day. For me when I found sunrise it was a god send since after I put Mike's on the blacklist I had nothing to replace it with.

edit: let me add that all the smokers in there while I'm trying to enjoy my food is another HUGE turnoff. Even Mike sits in the middle of the restaurant smoking. There is no place to sit and avoid smoke which for me has always been a HUGE negative for any restaurant. I have filled out the customer survey cards they have and said such but I could see mike in the corner reading it while smoking. They don't care. Definitely not a business run for the benefit of the paying customers.

I can't say that I knew Mike smokes although he's always in there when I go, but not sitting in the middle of the restaurant, but in the corner as you correctly state later.

Never noticed others smoking in Mike's either to be honest as smoking while eating bothers me also.

Actually, each delicious salsa at Sunrise Tacos salsa bar deserves it's own thread.

Don't encourage him!!!!!! Salsa bars I'm not so bothered about since I only want 1.

The missus loves the chimichanga in Mike's and prefers it over the one she tried in ST.

Edited by PattayaParent

I can't say that I knew Mike smokes although he's always in there when I go, but not sitting in the middle of the restaurant, but in the corner as you correctly state later.

Never noticed others smoking in Mike's either to be honest as smoking while eating bothers me also.

Maybe you and I can discern where in the restaurant Mike sits but his smoke sure doesn't. Can we agree that he sits inside the restaurant just opposite the kitchen? Maybe he finally got the hint about the smoking but I will not be going back there to find out.

Went to Sunrise Tacos the other day to compare it with Mikes.

Didn't like to because they laced my fajitas with coriander and the chicken wasn't as fresh. post-52293-0-12552400-1330326482_thumb.j

The Corona was slightly more expensive too. Overall wasn't really impressed.

I'll stick to Mikes.

Jayman - the times I have eaten at Mikes he usually sits on at the elevated table right near the road using his computer? It may be coincidental I have never noticed him smoking either. I talked with him a few times about his touch screen computer so I know I got the right guy. I enjoy the garden setting, seating and service in that restaurant as opposed to a fast food type of arrangement.

Maybe you and I can discern where in the restaurant Mike sits but his smoke sure doesn't. Can we agree that he sits inside the restaurant just opposite the kitchen? Maybe he finally got the hint about the smoking but I will not be going back there to find out.

He usually sits on the big wooden bench that he brought from his old place that's right at the front and partly outside in the corner on the left as you enter.

Unless I get there before him then he sits in the corner at the bar where the notebook and tablet computers are which is on the opposite side but not directly opposite the kitchen.

But as I never realised he smokes I wouldn't know where his smoke goes. It's certainly not near me.

He usually sits on the big wooden bench that he brought from his old place that's right at the front and partly outside in the corner on the left as you enter.

Unless I get there before him then he sits in the corner at the bar where the notebook and tablet computers are which is on the opposite side but not directly opposite the kitchen.

But as I never realised he smokes I wouldn't know where his smoke goes. It's certainly not near me.

Ok.. since you seem to be an expert in the layout.. what would you consider the bar being directly opposite of if not the kitchen?

Also, since I haven't been in there for about a year now, maybe he quit smoking since him and his wife had a baby. Maybe that has changed his whole policy on smoking. That would be wonderful but still won't get me back in there.

Edited by Jayman

Ok.. since you seem to be an expert in the layout.. what would you consider the bar being directly opposite of if not the kitchen?

Also, since I haven't been in there for about a year now, maybe he quit smoking since him and his wife had a baby. Maybe that has changed his whole policy on smoking. That would be wonderful but still won't get me back in there.

Part of the bar is opposite the kitchen (i.e. on the opposite wall) , but not the end of it where the notebook computer is located.

and he sits there occassionally when the front seat is taken by a customer.

Edited by PattayaParent

Part of the bar is opposite the kitchen (i.e. on the opposite wall) , but not the end of it where the notebook computer is located.

and he sits there occassionally when the front seat is taken by a customer.

Just so I'm clear what we are going back and forth on.. are you doubting that I am telling the truth about seeing Mike smoking inside the restaurant? Or are you trying to change the focus over to where you have seen Mike sitting in the restaurant?