Poll: Favorite Pattaya Area Place For Mexican Food

Jingthing

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So Mikes is beating Sunrise? Yes, I am a bit surprised. I'm not surprised that the top votes are those two though.

Just my opinion, but I think if it was only Americans voting (the nationality here with the most experience of Mexican food excepting the rare Mexican), Sunrise would win.

And once again the spin starts for sunrise - how predictable, you'd make a great politician Jingthing !!

Edited by LennyW

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Mikes is beating Sunrise? Yes, I am a bit surprised. I'm not surprised that the top votes are those two though.

Just my opinion, but I think if it was only Americans voting (the nationality here with the most experience of Mexican food excepting the rare Mexican), Sunrise would win.

I think your wrong.jap.gif IMHO

• Like 2

And once again the spin starts for sunrise - how predictable, you'd make a great politician Jingthing !!

Umm, thank you.unsure.png

I just don't think a Mexican place featuring antijitos type Mexican food (including tacos, quesadillas, burritos, etc.) that doesn't do salsas well can even begin to rate as half decent. It's not as vital for dishes like enchiladas and main course dishes like mole.

I get the vibe my opinions about this aren't particularly welcome. I could care less. You can express your opinions, too. This isn't a political election, just an unscientific poll for entertainment purposes on a web forum.

Edited by Jingthing

As a Californian with 30 years restaurant experience I have to give a "no way" vote as Sunrise being Americans favorite. Very disappointed by the dry monotony of the food, couldn't tell a burrito from an enchilada. Also, they have birra on the menu, but it's beef. Sacrilege. And the price ++ is BS. Haven't tried Mike's (promise to soon) but I like Tequila Reef, reminds me of the "Mexican" restaurants my parents took me to in the 50's and 60's. Greasy and cheesy, great. Sam's chicken enchiladas stack up to my favorites in So Cal.

Kitchen staff (20+ strong, I was the last white guy in the kitchen, and yes, their papers were good) could make what they wanted, enchiladas one day, albondigas the next, burritos another. Never deep fried anything. Birthdays, soccer parties, etc. were always birra - goat. Out of this world.

And they never drank Corona.

• Like 1

Why? Has Mike's introduced decent salsas?

I just came back from another all you can eat taco feast from Sunrise. The wifey loves the guacamole so she was happy to eat that with chips while I downed 6 tacos. The salsa bar does make that spot for sure.

• Like 1

As a Californian with 30 years restaurant experience I have to give a "no way" vote as Sunrise being Americans favorite. Very disappointed by the dry monotony of the food, couldn't tell a burrito from an enchilada. Also, they have birra on the menu, but it's beef. Sacrilege. And the price ++ is BS. Haven't tried Mike's (promise to soon) but I like Tequila Reef, reminds me of the "Mexican" restaurants my parents took me to in the 50's and 60's. Greasy and cheesy, great. Sam's chicken enchiladas stack up to my favorites in So Cal.

Kitchen staff (20+ strong, I was the last white guy in the kitchen, and yes, their papers were good) could make what they wanted, enchiladas one day, albondigas the next, burritos another. Never deep fried anything. Birthdays, soccer parties, etc. were always birra - goat. Out of this world.

I agree I have never seen birria made with beef anywhere but Sunrise. However, to my knowledge Sunrise is the only Mexican place in Thailand doing ANY version of birria. And have you actually tasted the birria at Sunrise? I'm asking because the meat in it is EXCELLENT. I agree Sunrise's food in general tends to be on the dry side, but can be helped along quite well with choices from their massive SALSA BAR. This isn't about a restaurant in Pattaya that competes with good Mexican places in the U.S. or Mexico. That does not exist here. Edited by Jingthing

The ++ pricing at sunrise is my biggest complaint.

Just this last week I ate at Tequila reef as I had a 200thb coupon from freeplayo. Went with a sandwich cause I didn't want to be disappointed with the mex food. Perhaps I should try some of the dishes recommended here with my next coupon.

The ++ pricing at sunrise is my biggest complaint.

Just this last week I ate at Tequila reef as I had a 200thb coupon from freeplayo. Went with a sandwich cause I didn't want to be disappointed with the mex food. Perhaps I should try some of the dishes recommended here with my next coupon.

I agree the plus plus takes some of the pleasure out of eating at Sunrise. I definitely go less than I would if they didn't have that policy.
  • Like 1

Why? Has Mike's introduced decent salsas?

Nope, last time still had carrots in salsa, unless the recipe has changed. Mikes cheese per gringo ratios far exceed sunrises by a long shot. Ambience, hands down Mikes. Sunrise is a "Roll Out", concept which means there on par with a Taco Bueno type restaurant in IMHO. Even have 2 touch screens. When i went the salsas were not fresh but we went around 12:30 pm and the containers were only 20% full. Very disappointing. No cheese in quesadilla with stewed chicken meat, ai carramba!Take a look at Chipotles concept, it's going gangbusters in the states. Might work well here.

Chipotles has world class meats but they use white rice, not Mexican rice. They also don't have a salsa bar. In some ways Sunrise is actually better than Chipotles. As far as cheese, authentic Mexican tacos have NO cheese. If you got served a quesadilla with no cheese that was obviously a mistake where a send it back would be totally justified.

In my view, a U.S. chain that does a much better job of delivering California style burritos than Chipotle is Qdoba. Though no chain can beat Chipotle's meat.shock1.gif

Edited by Jingthing

The rice most commonly used in Mexico is a long-grain with a fleck of the germ left on. When cooked the rice expands to 4 x's its volume. The long grain rice found in the U.S. is really not the same.

BONUS

Yes, their meat is grade A quality but at slower times I've heard they tend to let their meat loaf.crying.gif

Never heard of Qboda but will give it a shot.jap.gif Abuellos is a good one as well.

Edited by FOODLOVER

By Mexican rice, I meant the spice preparation. Chipotle serves plain white rice. Most Mexican restaurants at least offer a version of Mexican spiced rice which tends to have some color to it, like the lovely people of Mexico.

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing's posts on food are very valuable to many members. Please keep up the good work oh hungry one.

I agree with this.. I could start a whole thread about all the great restaurants that JT has turned me on to. As of yet, he has not steered me wrong not once. I fully appreciate any thread that JT starts or posts in about local food as I'm always looking for some more variety and just don't have the will to go around testing a bunch of new places blindly.

Keep it up JT!

• Like 1

Off topic dig at the OP removed also a quoted reply.

As my colleague says: don't want to read food reviews then just mark the posts as read. That is surely more preferable than an enforced holiday for off topic flaming. .

By Mexican rice, I meant the spice preparation. Chipotle serves plain white rice. Most Mexican restaurants at least offer a version of Mexican spiced rice which tends to have some color to it, like the lovely people of Mexico.

We always pan fried the rice to give it an amber color and then added spices to lightly toast and then wet ingredients. Can even use a deep fryer and sieve if your in a hurry. Adds a nutty flavor as well. Love the food postings! Thanks!

We always pan fried the rice to give it an amber color and then added spices to lightly toast and then wet ingredients. Can even use a deep fryer and sieve if your in a hurry. Adds a nutty flavor as well. Love the food postings! Thanks!

Yes, that is the best method, IMHO. It has a nutty (sort of) taste.......toasted and some color (usually from cumin and chicken broth). The worst Mexican rice, to me, is that tomato-based type.....yuuuucckkk.

For me Sunrise beats Mike's purely for the Taco promotionon Tuesday and Friday (2-7pm). The crispy/hard tacos at Sunrise are tasty, have good variety and are of great value. I've been to both places and have realized I'm not a fan of any dish that is enclosed in a soft taco (Sunrise: Tacos, Mikes: Burrito/Enchilada). I can also care less about a salsa bar, but I can appreciate that a restaurant (Sunrise) having such a feature will get many votes.

For me Sunrise beats Mike's purely for the Taco promotionon Tuesday and Friday (2-7pm). The crispy/hard tacos at Sunrise are tasty, have good variety and are of great value. I've been to both places and have realized I'm not a fan of any dish that is enclosed in a soft taco (Sunrise: Tacos, Mikes: Burrito/Enchilada). I can also care less about a salsa bar, but I can appreciate that a restaurant (Sunrise) having such a feature will get many votes.

ac

Sorry to bug you, but can you tell me what the taco promotion is? I didn't see it on their webpage. Thx!!

ac

Sorry to bug you, but can you tell me what the taco promotion is? I didn't see it on their webpage. Thx!!

Here you go:

http://www.sunriseta...tuesdaymenu.pdf

(Tuesday and Friday only, 2 - 7 p.m. only)

In addition to what it says on the menu, you are free to order any of the fillings including on the promotion days (and times) with any taco style you prefer (soft corn, crispy corn, or soft flour). You keep ordering new tacos until you are satisfied and then there is even pie included for dessert.

Edited by Jingthing

Another not so well known thing about the Sunrise menu is the CUSTOMIZED burrito and taco menu. Especially for the burritos. There you can choose from any of the Sunrise meats (except birria), choose a bean style (refried, whole, black), and totally customize all of the contents. This is a similar experience to a real California burrito joint but there you are actually looking at the food in trays and pointing to what you want. At Sunrise, you simply fill out a paper form instead. Is anyone else in town doing a completely customized burrito menu?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I am so glad there is no shameless promoting to skewer the poll results!!! giggle.gif

Whatever. In any case, the poll and results are for entertainment purposes only.

BTW, congratulations to Mike's Mexican as the probable winner of this poll. Maybe some people who haven't tried it before will try it. Heck, I may even give Tequila Reef another try for their chile con carne dishes. cowboy.gif Hope springs eternal.

That said, I still suggest y'all check out the CUSTOMIZED burrito option at Sunrise.

Edited by Jingthing

I am so glad there is no shameless promoting to skewer the poll results!!! giggle.gif

Whatever. In any case, the poll and results are for entertainment purposes only.

BTW, congratulations to Mike's Mexican as the probable winner of this poll. Maybe some people who haven't tried it before will try it. Heck, I may even give Tequila Reef another try for their chile con carne dishes. cowboy.gif Hope springs eternal.

That said, I still suggest y'all check out the CUSTOMIZED burrito option at Sunrise.

Kinda confirmed the shameless promoting aspect JT!!!! clap2.gif

• Like 2