Ftth Available In Bangkok

mortem

http://www.thaivisa....speed-internet/

There are various ultra-high-speed broadband initiatives here in Thailand including some xTTH trials and deployments.

http://www.thaivisa....d-at-1499-baht/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/490057-fiber-to-the-home-in-pattaya-anyone-have-this-yet/

Edited by lomatopo

Thank you for the links, lomatopo.

Unfortunately none of those links tells if the FTTH is available or not.

Right now, I use the Ultra High Speed Internet from True (this is basicaly a FTTB solution using vDSL v2) but - whatever the solution works fine exept when the line cut 1-2 days long - I would like a solution with symetric bandwidth (and if possible a static IP). a system of 30/30 or more would be great

I checked ftth.co.th, tot and cat, but I did not find a single website showing the price and geographic availability of FTTH solution.

If anyone is using FTTH or as more info, it would be great.

Thank you

PM

A quick search of threads here, and related articles, seems to indicate that any FTTH deployments are by CAT or TOT, and limited to specific locales like Phuket, or custom Moo Bans. There are some threads here re: the service in Phuket.

It doesn't appear to me that there are any consumer, commercial deployments in Bangkok at present. You may want to contact TOT and CAT to inquire about their plans?

Any line can be subject to service interruption due to a variety of issues, including FTTH. The VDSL and DOCIS solutions from True Online seem like the best available currently?

Edited by lomatopo

Again I think there is some FTTH deployments, like Phuket, but the market is probably just not there for the types of services you are looking for, and/or can be addressed with VDSL or DOCSIS?

My neighborhood in metro-Boston was the first to get FiOS (Verizon) so FTTH; they started stringing fiber in 2005. (We also got the first cable modems ~ 1999, Roadrunner.) Even their plans might not meet your needs? 15/5, 25/25, 50/20. http://www22.verizon...internet/#plans The True Online Ultra VDSL 50/20 and DOCSIS 100/10 seems pretty good?

You may want to contact TOT (Fiber 2U) and CAT to inquire and/or express your interest?

Edited by lomatopo

Seems the few posts on FTTH indicated they had to contact the head sales office to get info/find out if it's available in their area/sign up. Partically no-to-little FTTH sales info on ISPs websites or in advertisements. And if I remember right the FTTH speeds to international websites were really no better than cable or ADSL plans. Basically, FTTH just deals with the "final mile" of the whole network...while you may get 50Mb download speeds to in-country servers...the international speeds were still in the 3-6Mb ballpark since after that final mile a person was still surfing on the same network/national gateways/international gateways as everyone else was.

Hi All,

thanks for your answers.

For the True Online Ultra VDSL 50/20, I never heard about it. Where can I have some details because I cannot find it on their website. Also, do you have an idea of the price? me now, I am using the 30/3 package of their Ultra High Speed Internet and the UL is a bit low for my needs.

For the DL, I was able to saturate it 1-2 times only, so I don't think I need more than 30, but for the UL, as I have VPN with my friends in France, to have something line 10 would be great smile.png

Also, I know that True is the only provider with a real International Bandwidth, so of course I would prefer them.

Thank you

PM

Edited by mortem

http://www.trueonlin...tra_hispeed.php

Maybe best for you to ring True, on 1686, as you are a customer? I assumed you had vDSL already, based on your post, so thought you could up to 50/20? I think the vDSL deployments were premises only, and limited to certain higher-end properties.

You could also look to network integrators who could maybe get you the service you require?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/463724-true-vdsl/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/395541-50mb-true-vdsl2/

Many more, search for True VDSL site:thaivisa.com

Edited by lomatopo

My goodness...it appears TOT has just started installing a fiber optic trunk line in my western Bangkok moobaan. Up until True installed/went operational with their cable TV and internet capability in my moobaan in Jun 11 a person's choice for internet service was TOT, TOT, or TOT with a maximum ADSL speed of 6Mb. When True went operational with their 7Mb to 100Mb download speed cable internet service I think most everyone in the moobaan who had internet service left TOT and went to True. So, I expect TOT has decided to try to win back some of its lost internet customers by installing Fiber To Home lines...plus, TOT is suppose to come out with an IPTV service. I'll kickback and see what happens...it took True around 9 months to install its cable TV/internet trunk line in my approx 750 home moobaan...I'm sure TOT can take as long or longer.

Edited by Pib

My goodness...it appears TOT has just started installing a fiber optic trunk line in my western Bangkok moobaan. Up until True installed/went operational with their cable TV and internet capability in my moobaan in Jun 11 a person's choice for internet service was TOT, TOT, or TOT with a maximum ADSL speed of 6Mb. When True went operational with their 7Mb to 100Mb download speed cable internet service I think most everyone in the moobaan who had internet service left TOT and went to True. So, I expect TOT has decided to try to win back some of its lost internet customers by installing Fiber To Home lines...plus, TOT is suppose to come out with an IPTV service. I'll kickback and see what happens...it took True around 9 months to install its cable TV/internet trunk line in my approx 750 home moobaan...I'm sure TOT can take as long or longer.

Yeap, TOT is stringing fiber optic cable in my moobaan...here's a link showing the type of fiber being strung on the poles. Link. The thumb size in diameter black trunk line looks like similar sized phone wire strung on the poles unless you are able to look at the part number information on the cable and/or seeing fiber optics sticking out on a cut/unfinished end of the cable.

Gosh, from starting off with TOT 2Mb ADSL max in my moobaan less than 4 years ago, TOT slowly upgrading my moobaan to 4Mb and then 6MB ADSL, then True coming in and installing a 7Mb to 100Mb cable internet/TV system which probably took most of TOT's internet customers in my moobaan, to TOT fiber internet now coming to my moobaan....but I don't know how long it will take them to go operational. But at least over a few years I have went from slow-ass, flakey 2MB TOT ADSL (although to be fair their 4Mb & 6Mb ADSL plans worked OK) to high speed True cable internet...and sometime in the near future I will have another high speed choice in TOT FTTH.

Will have to wait and see what speeds and prices TOT offers; True cable internet has been working just fine for me so TOT will have to have some very good pricing to get me to switch....but I will sure give TOT serious consideration. Here's a 2 year old Phuket Post article saying the TOT FTTH will have speeds from 10Mb to 100Mb. Link And here's a link to a Phuket web site which slows speed results for various internet plans to include the TOT FTTH. Link. I just hope we can start seeing more current TOT FTTH customers posting some reviews/opinions.

Edited by Pib

FTTH is a gimmick, don't bother with it.

It will give you slightly faster speeds to the exchange followed by exactly the same speed nationwide.

Most of the FTTH that is offered here in Thailand is actually a Fibre-Coaxial Hybrid, meaning they run fibre to the box on the street and then standard copper cable.

Pretty much every broadband provider is offering exactly this, but the people claiming "FTTH" just have a slightly shorter length of copper, others may have a mile or so of copper.

Fibre to the street followed by copper can easily support 50-100Mbps+

Thai international connections cannot.

Until the international infrastructure is improved FTTH will mean nothing except a higher bill for the name.

I hear you about the international connections regardless of Thai ISP. The DSLReports.com speedtester results (to L.A.) reflected by the many different people in Phuket on many different Thai ISPs clearly show that....A person can search by the ISP/Plan he has at Link.

And the DSLReports speedtester is one of those testers that is not often fooled by cache servers so the results tell it like it is for single-threaded operations like browsing, streaming video, speed testing, etc. Of course if using a download manager/torrent program/etc a person can do multi-threaded file downloading and many times max out their connection like if on a 20Mb plan can pull down 20Mbps (2.5MBps). I noticed the True cable plans of equal speed generally had faster international speeds than the TOT Fiber plans and I sure that all boils down to True having a more robust international gateway server than TOT (at least for now).

FTTH is a gimmick, don't bother with it.

It will give you slightly faster speeds to the exchange followed by exactly the same speed nationwide.

Most of the FTTH that is offered here in Thailand is actually a Fibre-Coaxial Hybrid, meaning they run fibre to the box on the street and then standard copper cable.

Pretty much every broadband provider is offering exactly this, but the people claiming "FTTH" just have a slightly shorter length of copper, others may have a mile or so of copper.

Fibre to the street followed by copper can easily support 50-100Mbps+

Thai international connections cannot.

Until the international infrastructure is improved FTTH will mean nothing except a higher bill for the name.

You sure TOT runs copper to your home from a nearby fiber junction box? This Link indicates TOT ran fiber all the way to the home, hooked into a Optical Network Unit (ONU) which basically converts the fiber optics signal to a Ethernet output signal, the Ethernet output runs to a router, and then the router feeds your computers. Now the link don't give above level of connection detail but that's how fiber to home works on systems like Verizion FIOS in the States.

Anyway, the TOT contractor continues to string the fiber trunk cable in my moobaan and today even installed one of the main fiber junction boxes...fortunately the junction box is high on the pole...any future flood waters would have to get over 5 meters deep to reach the box compared to the telephone/ADSL junction boxes which are only about 1 foot above the sidewalk level.

Hi Pib,

A little of topic, but how long were stuck with TOT before your moonbaan let True come in?

Hi Pib,

A little of topic, but how long were stuck with TOT before your moonbaan let True come in?

Well, the moobaan is around 17 years old and to the best of my knowledge for about the first 16 years TOT had total control/ownership of phone and internet lines to the moobaan. Then True cable TV & internet came in and went operational last June....but True can't provide landline service to the moobaan since TOT still retains that sole right plus I doubt True wants to string a bunch of cable telephone lines just for a monthly 107 baht monthly telephone fee.

I've lived in the moobaan for 3.5 years...so I was basically stuck with TOT (or JINET who had a internet concession on TOT lines) for 2.5 years...and during that time I started off at 2Mb speed (fastest speed to moobaan)...then TOT upgraded to 4Mb max...then about 1 year later to 6Mb max. And now they appear to be making a big jump to 100Mb max by installing the FTTH, but I'll probably stick with True cable/DOCSIS internet unless TOT offers me a plan/price I can't refuse.

You sure TOT runs copper to your home from a nearby fiber junction box? This Link indicates TOT ran fiber all the way to the home, hooked into a Optical Network Unit (ONU) which basically converts the fiber optics signal to a Ethernet output signal, the Ethernet output runs to a router, and then the router feeds your computers. Now the link don't give above level of connection detail but that's how fiber to home works on systems like Verizion FIOS in the States.

Anyway, the TOT contractor continues to string the fiber trunk cable in my moobaan and today even installed one of the main fiber junction boxes...fortunately the junction box is high on the pole...any future flood waters would have to get over 5 meters deep to reach the box compared to the telephone/ADSL junction boxes which are only about 1 foot above the sidewalk level.

Cant say for sure about TOT, but I know that at least some of whats offered as FTTH is actually just to the street.

But regardless, I stand by my first line, it is just a gimmick at this time.

Until ISP's in Thailand can provide 50Mbps+ Internationally there will be no benefit from FTTH.

They are starting to offer beyond the realms of ADSL, speeds which fibre to the street can handle fine, but this is all domestic only.

Kind of like racing an F1 car round an off road circuit, with a 20m straight of perfect road to build speed before you grind to a halt again.

Yeap, agree, Thailand's international bandwidth is still an issue.

I could easily see where an ISP could install a hybrid type system where fiber optics feed a couple new fiber optics junction boxes in the moobaan; then from that junction box to the homes it's the current copper phone wires possibly carrying an ADSL signal. This would overcome the reoccurring distance problem of the residence being located too far from the central station, where usually the DSLAMs are located, to get a good/high speed ADSL connection up to around 20Mb...and it would also help to reduce installation costs. Will just have to wait and see what the final system looks like.