Refused Visitor Visa For Partner

Pretty weak reasons for refusal.

What type of ECO doesn't know how to spell "absence" and "evidence"? (If the OP hasn't mis-spelt?wai.gif )

Contact the ECM and point out you included a photocopy of your passport with Thai visa stamp and add a short covering letter.

I don't know what some posters are on about when they say you have to "prove" how the funds were accrued...it's none of the ECO's business.

RAZZ

Of course it`s their business when having to make a decision who can and who cannot enter the United Kingdom, especially today with the increasing threats of terrorism, floods of economic refugees and criminals from third world countries. There are more than enough in Britain already. The same applies in Thailand, no one wants economic refugees or possible criminals entering the country and also has too many. The job of ECO holds a huge amount of responsibility. Do you truly believe that any foreigner outside of the EEC and especially from those that are renowned for abusing the Immigration process in the past should be admitted into Britain on some flimsy documentation or hearsay that they are genuine nice people?

Here is something that many UK visa applicants fail to understand.

The Thai girlfriend/partner or whatever she is, has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that her incentives to return to Thailand are greater than those to remain in the United Kingdom, for obvious reasons that I cannot be bothered explaining, but anyone with a few brain cells should understand.

When dealing with officialdoms you must play they’re games and ensure that everything is in order prior to submitting an application. It`s that simple.

That is actually wrong. Nobody has to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt in immigration law.

If you can't be bothered to explain anything, then why are you bothering to be here ? People come here for advice, not to be told that they only have a few brain cells.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai girlfriend/partner or whatever she is, has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that her incentives to return to Thailand are greater than those to remain in the United Kingdom, for obvious reasons that I cannot be bothered explaining, but anyone with a few brain cells should understand.

Without wishing to split hairs, the burden of proof required is the balance of probabilities not beyond reasonable doubt. The balance of probabilities is the standard used in civil matters where a person is trying to pursued that the evidence supplied is accurate, it requires a much lower level of proof, beyond reasonable doubt is used in criminal matters where a much higher burden of proof is required to convict.

I personally think the application is pretty sound, though as a number of posters have said it would have been better to provide a covering letter from the OP as the sponsor summerising the evidence, all the evidence is there but, in my view, ECO's sometimes need leading by the hand and have the evidence pointed out to them.

VP seems to have seen a number of these bizarre refusals, I do agree that a well written letter to the ECM pointing out the evidence previously supplied that you live together here in Thailand might get her to overturn the decision, however they don't act with haste and a further application might be the quicker way forward.

Disclaimer: I have very little experience of visas.

But .... in trying to be helpful to the OP and reading the 'evidence' he has presented here, I have a couple of observations.

Firstly, the letter of your support is the main thing missing. The officials told you that. They, I am sure, have boxes to tick first before they assess all the evidence, and this is one box that wasn't ticked. The lack of evidence of residency sounds strange, but perhaps your confirmation of that in the letter together with paperwork will hopefully cover that issue.

The other observation, based on the discussions here, is, what are her reasons to return? You state she has no job, but has money. Where did that money come from, was it deposited by you? Yes, she has a child which she is leaving behind, but I am sure it would not be the first time kids have been left behind with relatives, in the hope of collecting them later.

On paper, you are a relatively wealthy man who can pay for her quite easily. It would appear by your past travels that you already have done so. Maybe the officials think that she will just stay in the UK, looked after by you, and perhaps in the future try to get the child back? Looked at that way, she may as well give up her little bit of land and money and child in exchange for a life of luxury with you.

Devils advocate here, so apologies to the OP. Just trying to see it from the officials point of view. And trying to be helpful.wai.gif

• Like 2

...The other observation, based on the discussions here, is, what are her reasons to return? You state she has no job, but has money. Where did that money come from, was it deposited by you? Yes, she has a child which she is leaving behind, but I am sure it would not be the first time kids have been left behind with relatives, in the hope of collecting them later.

On paper, you are a relatively wealthy man who can pay for her quite easily. It would appear by your past travels that you already have done so. Maybe the officials think that she will just stay in the UK, looked after by you, and perhaps in the future try to get the child back? Looked at that way, she may as well give up her little bit of land and money and child in exchange for a life of luxury with you.

Devils advocate here, so apologies to the OP. Just trying to see it from the officials point of view. And trying to be helpful.wai.gif

Hence, presumably, their request for evidence of the OP's residency status in Thailand; on the assumption that if he is likely to come back to Thailand she is also likely to come back. Again, not to say that a longer visa wouldn't be granted to the lady to live with the OP in Thailand, but to make sure that the correct visa is being applied for, and not some attempt to short-cut the system.

SC

They've already told you the key thing they require and that you failed to provide - a supporting letter from you. How much more explicit can they be?

Agree with you. As far as the officer in charge of approving the application is concerned, it is possible that the lady made the application without the consent or even the knowledge of her partner.

Spot on. That is exactly my point.

How do the embassy know that the lady isn't running away from the hubby without his knowledge, consent etc, and is going to get to the UK, footloose and fancy free and empty her bank account while she was there?

By not 'engaging'with the process by making the simple effort of writing a sponsor letter, the OP has done the damage to the application himself.

It's not rocket science.

What type of ECO doesn't know how to spell "absence" and "evidence"? (If the OP hasn't mis-spelt?wai.gif )

Contact the ECM and point out you included a photocopy of your passport with Thai visa stamp and add a short covering letter.

I don't know what some posters are on about when they say you have to "prove" how the funds were accrued...it's none of the ECO's business.

RAZZ

Of course it`s their business when having to make a decision who can and who cannot enter the United Kingdom, especially today with the increasing threats of terrorism, floods of economic refugees and criminals from third world countries. There are more than enough in Britain already. The same applies in Thailand, no one wants economic refugees or possible criminals entering the country and also has too many. The job of ECO holds a huge amount of responsibility. Do you truly believe that any foreigner outside of the EEC and especially from those that are renowned for abusing the Immigration process in the past should be admitted into Britain on some flimsy documentation or hearsay that they are genuine nice people?

When dealing with officialdoms you must play they’re games and ensure that everything is in order prior to submitting an application. It`s that simple.

That is actually wrong. Nobody has to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt in immigration law.

If you can't be bothered to explain anything, then why are you bothering to be here ? People come here for advice, not to be told that they only have a few brain cells.

And yet she got refused, because the OP couldn't be arsed to write a covering letter.

You can pontificate all you like but at the end of the day, the refusal happened, so I'm more inclined to follow Beetlejuice's line, rather than your purist approach.

Given you seem to do this for a living - based solely on your profile - remind me not to seek professional help from you. I would want realistic pragmatic advice, not the dogma you have provided here.

Without wishing to split hairs, the burden of proof required is the balance of probabilities not beyond reasonable doubt. The balance of probabilities is the standard used in civil matters where a person is trying to pursued that the evidence supplied is accurate, it requires a much lower level of proof, beyond reasonable doubt is used in criminal matters where a much higher burden of proof is required to convict.

I personally think the application is pretty sound, though as a number of posters have said it would have been better to provide a covering letter from the OP as the sponsor summerising the evidence, all the evidence is there but, in my view, ECO's sometimes need leading by the hand and have the evidence pointed out to them.

VP seems to have seen a number of these bizarre refusals, I do agree that a well written letter to the ECM pointing out the evidence previously supplied that you live together here in Thailand might get her to overturn the decision, however they don't act with haste and a further application might be the quicker way forward.

All well said ! The OP is apparently constrained by time. He, and his partner, hope to attend a function in the UK in April. I also think that he has a good chance of getting this decision overturned, but it might take the whole 20 working days that UKBA need to answer queries ( The Earth was created in 7 days, but it seems that UKBA need slightly longer to answer simple questions). As stated previously, I am waiting for the Embassy to respond on one similar complaint, and that was submitted to them on the 4th Feb, so that is 15 working days so far ! I have told the OP that making a new application should get the visa in good time for his partner to travel.

RAZZ

And yet she got refused, because the OP couldn't be arsed to write a covering letter.

You can pontificate all you like but at the end of the day, the refusal happened, so I'm more inclined to follow Beetlejuice's line, rather than your purist approach.

Given you seem to do this for a living - based solely on your profile - remind me not to seek professional help from you. I would want realistic pragmatic advice, not the dogma you have provided here.

Dogma ?

... for obvious reasons that I cannot be bothered explaining, but anyone with a few brain cells should understand.

Dogma ?

Can I hold your jackets?

SC

EDIT:

Maybe the Mods could move this over to the 'Step Outside for a Square Go' forum?

Edited by StreetCowboy

I thought Dogma played for Chelsea until I looked it up on Wikipedia.

Sorry to hear that the OP's visa was refused. I'm pretty stressed out at the moment waiting to hear if my missus has got her visa or not.

Hope that he can get an appeal sorted. Good luck

PS. Sorry I can't offer anything constructive.

Edited by Ungabunga

RAZZ

Let's get things in perspective. I don't do this for a living. I don't work at Visas Plus for a living. I do it because I want to, not because I need to work. People like you, however, make me wonder why I bother. You are entitled not to come to us for advice, and that makes me very happy. But, I think it only fair to say that in the 2 years that I have worked for Visas Plus I have had a 100% success rate in UK visa applications. Now , if you think that is a poor track record, the result of dogma, pontification or whatever, then you are free to think so, but I have the right to defend myself, and the results speak for themselves.. The OP was given realistic pragmatic advice, in private, and I'm sure he would confirm that, if asked. You are entitled to your views, but that doesn't mean that you are right.

It would seem prudent, in the covering letter, to provide reference to any specific events that the visit is intended to coincide with - I assume it is the Edinburgh-Toulouse Heineken Cup Quarter-Final.

Copies of tickets, or pictures of the couple at another rugby match might come in handy to show a sustained interest in such events.

SC

• Like 1

The neighbours karma ran over my dogma.

Good luck to the OP on his partner's resubmission WITH the all important covering letter. Don't be tempted to pour scorn on the earlier decision to refuse the application by mentioning it as the same myopic <deleted> may be reviewing the new application! Keep it simple, honest and succinct and there should be no worries. I am married to my Thai partner and we have family and land and money (and dogs and chickens) but she still got a letter from me to include with her application; a fresh one for each of her two successful UK visa applications.

OK, I have been through the exact same rejection process and just got up an reapplied and was successful.

I assume your g/f has not been to the UK before, it is easier the second time round.

I fully financially support my wife, she has no money in the bank and no assets.

She was rejected at the beginning of 2010.

What you have to supply is more information. In addition to what you have already supplied you need to do a nice letter from yourself explaining that you have no intention of assisting her with any unlawful activity and your reason is simply to visit your mother/brother or whoever.

Give them copies to prove your residential address, telephone bills, credit card statements. Give at least six months history of everything.

The primary reason for us to visit the UK was to see my mother who was 88. She will be 90 this year.

When I reapplied I supplied a copy of my mother's passport, deeds to her property, telephone bill and local council tax notice.

This was in addition to a mountain of photos of the two of us together, my bank account, copy of my passport(picture page and pages with entries.)

She needs to do a letter as well explaining the reasons for the visit and her explanation that she intends to return to Thailand.

Also, supply a copy of her blue book with her address.

Give them anything and everything you can to show your relationship is genuine.

BTW, the tourist visa, when issued, is valid for six months, multi entry. Even if you want to go for ten days, you still get six months. You can get them post dated, otherwise it is valid from date of issue.

We went to Antigua for a reunion on the first visa, and two visits to the UK in the six months.

She entered the UK three times in six months.

In 2011 applied again with 17 year old daughter travelling with us. Visa was issued in one week. You need to supply all the same information every time as if it were your first application.

Wife has now entered the UK on four occasions. The more you visit the more brownie points you seem to accrue.

We are off to Bangkok again next month to apply again to travel in April/May. I am going to try for a two year visa, can still only stay maximum six months. The two year will just be more convenient, will not have to keep travelling to Bangkok as often, we live in Ubon Ratchathani. Also, if Mum has any problems we can just go anytime.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

If you don't succeed the first time try try again.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

God gave man a penis and a brain, unfortunately, did not give sufficient blood supply to run both at the same time.

• Like 1

I don't have enough brain cells to even understand his point

Considering that you are a sponsor and before the Mods begin deleting my posts, not that I have made any attacks on you, whatsoever, than I totally agree with everything you say and concede to your opinions.

This thread is now all yours.

RAZZ

IF may memory is correct, I supplied on the application form, my contact details,why din't they ring me.

Spoke with two friends earlier today,who informed me that when the visited the UK with their g/f, they did not submitt supporting letters, applications approved.

Just spoken with a chap,who came to Thailand for the first time last October, met a girl in a bar before Xmas and now because he's quickly running out of money has decided to return to the UK, hopefully get work on the building sites. Wishing to take the new love of his life back with him, he submitted a visa application on her behalf, along with a short letter saying he would support her. He was quite open and honest about it to me, he does't have two pennies to rub together, application approved.

...IF may memory is correct, I supplied on the application form, my contact details,why din't they ring me.

Spoke with two friends earlier today,who informed me that when the visited the UK with their g/f, they did not submitt supporting letters, applications approved.

Just spoken with a chap,who came to Thailand for the first time last October, met a girl in a bar before Xmas and now because he's quickly running out of money has decided to return to the UK, hopefully get work on the building sites. Wishing to take the new love of his life back with him, he submitted a visa application on her behalf, along with a short letter saying he would support her. He was quite open and honest about it to me, he does't have two pennies to rub together, application approved.

Working yourself into a jealous frenzy and whinging about the unfairness of it all won't help.

Presenting an easy-to-read, well-formatted letter that leads the immigration officer through the various criteria that they have, showing how your evidence satisfies each criterion, will help.

Or you could rely on luck. Two out of three ain't bad; its a pity yours was the third one, but better luck next time...

SC

Many of the above responses are pretty unhelpful. In my opinion you had a reasonable application, and the grounds for refusal are fairly weak. I am currently dealing with a couple of similar refusals. In one of those cases I have had the decision overturned. In the other, I have made written representations to the Visa section at the British Embassy, and I am waiting for their response. In those two cases the same ECO was involved. I am wondering if the ECO who refused your partner's application is the same one. If you would like to PM me the initials of the refusing ECO on the refusal form (GV51), I will let you know if it is the same ECO. Alternatively, it will be fairly easy to overcome those refusal reasons, but that means paying for another application !

I agree the decision is pretty harsh. A quick phone call from the ECO asking for a little more information would have saved a lot of hassle.

It will be easy to correct in a further application but I would suggest a letter of complaint is in order. If time is pressing put in a further application (and fee!) but don't leave it at that.

The applicant has shown plenty of reason to return, funds availability etc so this refusal seems out of line. Some pointless posts/rants, very unhelpful IMO. This is a visit visa for a specific event, not someone trying to sneak into the UK to live illegally.

• Like 1

Many of the above responses are pretty unhelpful. In my opinion you had a reasonable application, and the grounds for refusal are fairly weak. I am currently dealing with a couple of similar refusals. In one of those cases I have had the decision overturned. In the other, I have made written representations to the Visa section at the British Embassy, and I am waiting for their response. In those two cases the same ECO was involved. I am wondering if the ECO who refused your partner's application is the same one. If you would like to PM me the initials of the refusing ECO on the refusal form (GV51), I will let you know if it is the same ECO. Alternatively, it will be fairly easy to overcome those refusal reasons, but that means paying for another application !

I agree the decision is pretty harsh. A quick phone call from the ECO asking for a little more information would have saved a lot of hassle.

It will be easy to correct in a further application but I would suggest a letter of complaint is in order. If time is pressing put in a further application (and fee!) but don't leave it at that.

The applicant has shown plenty of reason to return, funds availability etc so this refusal seems out of line. Some pointless posts/rants, very unhelpful IMO. This is a visit visa for a specific event, not someone trying to sneak into the UK to live illegally.

We only have the OP's word for that, and if he, as an honest and upstanding Crown Citizen had said as much in a covering letter to the embassy, according to our nation's servant there, the visa could have been issued.

I can understand the frustration at the rejection, rather than a request for more information, right enough.

SC

Don't dwell on it, officer was having a bad hair day, just reapply.

Don't ruffle their feathers does not help the cause. Read the "Right of Appeal" on the bottom of the reject letter. Waste of time appealing.

We only have the OP's word for that, and if he, as an honest and upstanding Crown Citizen had said as much in a covering letter to the embassy, according to our nation's servant there, the visa could have been issued.

I can understand the frustration at the rejection, rather than a request for more information, right enough.

SC

I assume (as a starting point) that what people say in their posts is truthful. If they are economical with the truth they cannot expect a useful answer.

The ECO is supposed to be a professional and as such is not allowed to have 'bad hair day's'.

I too would suspect a new application covering the points listed is going to be much quicker and probably cheaper.

the letter states exactly where you went wrong

note, in particular, that you have not provided a supporting letter from your partner- or any evidence of his residency in Thailand.

granted you provided a tabien baan, but i have received visas by providing little more than a decent letter of intent.

Most importantly every successful visa i have received for a partner (Canada, US, UK) has clearly showed she is gainfully employed in Thailand, either in a career/professional capacity or as a legitimate business owner (noodle stall doesn't cut it)

Edited by tinfoilhat

the letter states exactly where you went wrong

note, in particular, that you have not provided a supporting letter from your partner- or any evidence of his residency in Thailand.

granted you provided a tabien baan, but i have received visas by providing little more than a decent letter of intent.

Most importantly every successful visa i have received for a partner (Canada, US, UK) has clearly showed she is gainfully employed in Thailand, either in a career/professional capacity or as a legitimate business owner (noodle stall doesn't cut it)

She had already stated to them that she does not work,she is a full time housewife/mother.

...IF may memory is correct, I supplied on the application form, my contact details,why din't they ring me.

Working yourself into a jealous frenzy and whinging about the unfairness of it all won't help.

Presenting an easy-to-read, well-formatted letter that leads the immigration officer through the various criteria that they have, showing how your evidence satisfies each criterion, will help.

Or you could rely on luck. Two out of three ain't bad; its a pity yours was the third one, but better luck next time...

SC

NO i was't being jealous or whinging, just trying to show a couple of people that a letter of support is not as important as they think, or at least it sould not be.

Just filling in the new application, I notice on the GUIDE TO SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS by the uk border agency,that they do not even suggest a supporting letter from me, They do suggest a supporting letter from friends or sponsor IN the uk, which in this case is not relevant, as I live in the Thailand,registered with the embassy in bkk, and shall be accompanied her to the uk and then BACK to Thailand

SC

NO i was't being jealous or whinging, just trying to show a couple of people that a letter of support is not as important as they think, or at least it sould not be.

Just filling in the new application, I notice on the GUIDE TO SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS by the uk border agency,that they do not even suggest a supporting letter from me, They do suggest a supporting letter from friends or sponsor IN the uk, which in this case is not relevant, as I live in the Thailand,registered with the embassy in bkk, and shall be accompanied her to the uk and then BACK to Thailand

Having already been accused of pontificating, or whatever, I'll try to keep this short. ECOs often ask for documentation which is not required. In many cases such documentation can help the application, But, they should not refuse an application on the grounds that documentation, which is not required under the immigration rules, has not been produced. Similarly, there is no requirement under the immigration rules to prove a claimed relationship ( such as yours) but you can see that proving it might be a good idea. I still think your application should have been successful, as the evidence that you produced seems to be sufficient to prove the relationship, etc, and I agree with one of the other posters that you write a letter of complaint. If nobody complains, then they will continue to refuse applications where there is no come-back ( no right of appeal).

Edited by VisasPlus

Believe me the sponsor letter is extremely important, been there done that. It cost me the same as it is costing you now.

Did you read my advice?

When they tighten up the system, things change. Not everybody that has offered advice has been through the system recently, I have.