Rototiller

khunkeith

Does anyone know where I can find a garden sized Rototiller? I am attempting to make a garden and it's back breaking to dig into the earth and mix the mulch with garden tools. The ones I have seen for sale here are farm sized. I am just trying to make a garden about 50 Sq meters big though, I might increase the size later.

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

post-137554-0-27005800-1330045019_thumb.

I am starting with a small plot but, behind my house, I wil be putting in another plot after the rainy season. I initially broke the ground in the side yard last February and put in a small garden. I am enlarging the size but the ground is hard as concrete. I have used a pick axe to break it up but, now need to mix in compost and some top soil. THe chunks that I broke up with the pick axe are the size of grapefruit. I wanted to break that up and mix it and get ready for the post rainy season planting. The plot in the back will be about 20 meters by 5 meters. I had a few dump truck loads of top soil delivered (dumped in the front yard) and moved it to the back, wheel barrow by wheel barrow. I spread it out and need to break the soil under it and mix it with chicken manure and some 10-10-10 fertilizer.

I lot of it's personal. I like to do my own work and take pride in the fact that I do it myself. I used to have a local guy cut my grass with a weed wacker but, I bought a lawn mower last year and now do it myself and it looks much better.

I am starting with a small plot but, behind my house, I wil be putting in another plot after the rainy season. I initially broke the ground in the side yard last February and put in a small garden. I am enlarging the size but the ground is hard as concrete. I have used a pick axe to break it up but, now need to mix in compost and some top soil. THe chunks that I broke up with the pick axe are the size of grapefruit. I wanted to break that up and mix it and get ready for the post rainy season planting. The plot in the back will be about 20 meters by 5 meters. I had a few dump truck loads of top soil delivered (dumped in the front yard) and moved it to the back, wheel barrow by wheel barrow. I spread it out and need to break the soil under it and mix it with chicken manure and some 10-10-10 fertilizer.

I lot of it's personal. I like to do my own work and take pride in the fact that I do it myself. I used to have a local guy cut my grass with a weed wacker but, I bought a lawn mower last year and now do it myself and it looks much better.

Wait till the rains start, the soil will then break up and mix easily

In the dry season it sets almost as hard as concrete

I will just keep plugging away. Keeps me busy and it's good exercise. Just a rototiller would make things simpler. But, I do get comments from my neighbors (all Thai) that I am not the typical 'lazy' farang they are used too. I live in northern Thailand, not far from Laos. There are a few other farangs in my town that seem to have a reputation for being lazy as they hire local Thai's to do the most mundane of chores. My wife told me that the people in town see me working in the yard and admire her for not having a 'lazy' husband. She said she has big face from it. I have to admit, I like having that sort of reputation. :-)

Wait till the rains start, the soil will then break up and mix easily

In the dry season it sets almost as hard as concrete

No need to wait for the rain, you have a small garden, just water the ground until it get soft.

I agree with the other poster. For a very small amount of money, you can get somebody who is VERY willing to help you. Good for them, good for you. I've found if I don't use my equipment on a regular basis, it just rusts. And ends up costing me way more than if I had just hired somebody to do the manual work. Labor is cheap here. Though, like you, I use to do everything myself back home.

Rather than putting this in General, how about we move this over to the farming forum. Maybe somebody there could also help out with this.

I had a small rotary cultivator as pictured in Australia

They are OK when the soil is soft and cultivated but on new ground

they are hard to use, they tend to go forward instead of digging in you

have to push the steel spike into the ground to stop this happening

The type with the engine in front and gear driven wheels is much better

although more expensive, they have various drive speeds and you push

down on the handles to cultivate new ground,