Chiang Mai - Macau Direct Flights Planned

WinnieTheKhwai

That would be good, though I am surprised that they would not consider Hong Kong before Macau

Hong Kong is a more expensive place to fly into, so budget airlines often go for Macau. When Air Asia first started flying internationally from BKK they also dud Macau before upgrading to HKG proper.

Anyway I think Macau fits well with leisure travel; Chinese coming here to Golf & Karaoke, Thais going there to gamble & shop..

I really like Macau/Hong Kong, great place for a short getaway. Kids get Disneyland, wife gets to shop, and Dad gets to hit Wanchai. ;)

• Like 2

That would be good, though I am surprised that they would not consider Hong Kong before Macau

Hong Kong is a more expensive place to fly into, so budget airlines often go for Macau. When Air Asia first started flying internationally from BKK they also dud Macau before upgrading to HKG proper.

Anyway I think Macau fits well with leisure travel; Chinese coming here to Golf & Karaoke, Thais going there to gamble & shop..

I really like Macau/Hong Kong, great place for a short getaway. Kids get Disneyland, wife gets to shop, and Dad gets to hit Wanchai. wink.png

good one.

true as well.

Was flying back to Chiang Mai from Singapore on AirAsia a few nights back, asked one of the flight attendants about plans for any new routes from Chiang Mai and she responded "Chiang Mai to Macau in a couple months".

Edited by ovenman

This also should provide HKG to Americas flight alternatives. Maybe involve a stayover, but inviting nevertheless (especially if traveling Air Asia with light baggage). There are quite a few non-stops HKG to N. America, I know.

It says they've applied for licensing to run the route; even Air Asia would want to wait for approval before selling tickets.. Of course it's also possible they apply for loads of routes first, then see what gets approved and makes business sense, then make a choice later. Either way it's good that they're thinking of adding a direct international route from Chiang Mai.

• 3 weeks later...

Just announced!!!

" Great news! Starting 22 May, AirAsia will fly direct daily from Chiang Mai to Macau! And we’re launching this route with fares that start from THB 1490. Just read on and see why we’re flying to amazing Macau! Book now. "

1 New Route

The first and only direct flight from Chiang Mai to Macau in just 2hrs 40mins daily!

2 City breaks Macau - Now fly direct from Chiang Mai. Experience the unique Macanese culture! Hong Kong - From Macau, hop on a 1 hour ferry ride to the superb shopping heaven! nl120322_mfm.jpgnl120322_hkg.jpgnl120322_mix.jpg 3 Awesome Experiences

Just a quick snooze away from Chiang Mai, now you can explore the fusion of Portuguese culture and Chinese tradition, and shop in Hong Kong until you drop! With something for everyone, Macau is definitely the place to go for an exciting getaway with friends or fun filled adventures with your family!

To celebrate the grand launch, fares start from THB 1490 when you book now till 25 March 2012 and travel from 22 May until 31 January 2013. Wait no more! Jumpstart your unique Macau experience now! New direct daily flights from Chiang Mai flight.gif Macau All-In-Fare

from THB 1490

Book now till 25 Mar 2012 | Travel from 22 May 2012 to 31 Jan 2013