Why So Cynical?

invogue

In which case the countries you have visited will require no laws but live by their social values.......unless as I have previously stated those that can afford to carry social values........perhaps your comment woud indicate that also on the edge of survival maybe there is no option but to adhere to the common theme.....Thus in Thailand the Thai adhere to their way too, tea money is their way of supporting their own hospitality, as they accept this structure there is no question of integrity or honour........ It is the cynic that cannot accept the Thai way as a social norm that has the issue

Actually this is true of all societies.

Walk around the shopping mall, take a stroll through town, look around the work place. Extremely small numbers of people break the law. The vast majority do not. They adhere to the common values which bind societies.

You have of course observed this during your own wide and varied travels.

Try to spend as little time as possible in shopping malls!! If you require a flavour of diversity on honesty and integrity as a common theme, perhaps read the thread where the Swedish guy is in Jail for overstay........as I say.......as it suits

Your comments do however bring us full circle to the fact that there are too many cynics who generalise according to the media sensationalism they access

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m so proud to have been given the Toscar Profound Question of the Year Award

I conclude that-

1. Some expats have become disgruntled by the amount of corruption and swindling that is outright in Thailand.

2. There are a number of bitter and twisted farangs who came to Thailand with idealistic dreams which were too far-fetched and unattainable. Hence they have become resentful and cynical about Thailand on a number of levels and now have resorted to sharing their non-rose tinted opinion on this website.

3. People ask stupid questions in this forum which might result in frustration and cynical retorts from other members

Weeeell. it's a start.

I conclude that-

1. Some expats have become disgruntled by the amount of corruption and swindling that is outright in Thailand.

2. There are a number of bitter and twisted farangs who came to Thailand with idealistic dreams which were too far-fetched and unattainable. Hence they have become resentful and cynical about Thailand on a number of levels and now have resorted to sharing their non-rose tinted opinion on this website.

3. People ask stupid questions in this forum which might result in frustration and cynical retorts from other members

Weeeell. it's a start.

Isn't it funny when you read Thai Visa and anytime someone mentions their gf/wife/personal situation they must first, right at the beginning, clarlify that she wasn't a prostitute?

Speaks volumes about the perception of Thailand, even among those with a vested interest in the country and her people.

I conclude that-

Weeeell. it's a start.

1) Are these disgruntled expats not smart enough to figure out how things work before they move? Everywhere in the world you negotiate a price, if you are not happy you walk away

Example: A friend of sees an icecream seller in the UK charge a foreign tourist 4.50 GBP for an ice cream, he tells the seller he wants an ice cream but not at that price...he pays 2.00 GBP...he asks seller why.....because they will pay........sound familiar?

2) Expectations too high, not the fault of Thailand, but why not adjust and move on concentrating on the positive

There are plenty of examples in the history of this forum and far from all have become embittered

3) There are no stupid questions only stupid answers.......isn't that what is said? I see no harm in highlighting the more 'diverse' areas of Thai life, but why try to paint all Thai with the same broad brush, what does the moaning achieve

Thailand is corrupt the land of scams......and?....well it is not right........appears to be accepted by most Thai.......that doesn't make it right.......maybe they are not so easily suckered?

Its all the people who won't let me form my opinion that make me cynical, telling me what I should think, what kind of opinion I can have. I'd be quite happy if I could just be my usual sardonic, cynical self. Surely that's all that we all want?

I get a bit fed up with people asking so many stupid questions, as well. You're not bloody Magnus Magnusson, and you never will be. Anyway, I'm not a mastermind, so I think I'll pass on this question...

And another thing. Look at these shoes. They cost me six times what I paid for the last pair, so they'd better last more than a few months. Anyway, you can't go wrong with shoes from Nottingham, even if they were made in Vietnam

SC

Surely cobblers in Northampton would be better ?

You're quite right, but as I found out, they're from Somerset in any case.

Read - Learn - Post is better than

Post - Learn - Edit...

SC

Edit: Just goes to show - I don't know cobblers...

Whilst we're talking cobblers, as I was following up the research on my previous post, I happened to notice that Dr Martens are made in Thailand, and that they have also resumed production in Northampton, for all the cynics that say British manufacturing is dead... and that made me pine wistfully for my ten-hole cherry reds that I wore when I was much younger than I am today. Used to take longer to lace them up than to cycle down to the paper shop, except in the winter when I would fall off my bike on the ice at the cross-roads at the foot of the hill. The joys of being up before the gritters...

Reading this made me remember that a couple of weeks ago I noticed my Reeboks were made in Thailand. Just thought I'd take your advice and check first and was surprised to find "Made in Indonesia" marked on them. Further investigation revealed that my old Reeboks which I use for work are from Thailand but the newer ones are from Indonesia. My Samsung cooker in the UK is from LOS as well.

Just remembered my gf is also made in Thailand and very well put together she is as well except for the dodgy eyesight which makes her think I'm good looking. Still mustn't grumble.

The way I see it, in this age of information, people who come to live in Thailand should know what problems they can encounter, they should know they can't own land, know they have to obey Thailands visa laws, know that when they come here they are very restricted in the employment stakes. ( though many work illegally when they could work legally in their own countries and many other countries in the world, but still they stay in Thailand and complain about the lack of employment opportunities, it's unbelievable !! )

I don't know many financially secure Farangs in Thailand who are genuinely unhappy, but they have the choice of moving on if they don't like it, simple as that.

The cynical, bitter and twisted farangs are generally here because they have done all their money in and stay here cos they can't afford to go anywhere else and start again, trapped in a loveless marriage, living in a hot house in what used to be a ricefield surrounded by people who they can't communicate with and who eat strange smelly food, breeds cynicism perhaps ?

Bad preperation, poor planning, ridiculous financial management ? Don't blame Thailand, blame yourselves.

If I was as cynical about Thailand as many on ThaiVisa appear to be, I'd be gone in a heartbeat, then again, I do have a choice and CHOOSE not to. wai.gif

Farangs make the really big leap of leaving their own countries where they have rights and privilages they can never have in Thailand, why the @#@# do they do it when all they do is sit in front of a PC all day complaining about the place they chose to come to, and can leave anytime they like !!!!!

Cynical, Bitter genuinely unhappy miserable Farangs can be found all over The Kingdom, why they still remain in their own personal nightmare if they have the choice to leave, utterly amazes me.

Although I like much about Thailand there are many things that annoy and even disgust me. The reason I visit and will hopefully move to Thailand is because that's where my gf is so I don't have complete choice. Also some things I don't like she dislikes as well.

whilst the general forum on here can be a bit harsh to some especially to those who ask very silly questions I find many of the other forums very useful personally...if you are easily offended by others opinions and are seeking people to agree with you rather than voice what they think then perhaps the internet and these forums are not really your bag

You nailed it. The specific forums are very informative and worthwhile.

Most everyone comes to the general forum to wind each other up. I do. I like being a smart-ass to people. I do it with my family and they shun me.

Everyone comes to the GF to unwind, let it out, give some-take some, then back at it. Everyone here has a choice. We all choose to remain for our own reasons.

I for one, like to argue on the forum as it keeps my brain engaged (sometimes) and keeps me using English.

I don't often come on the GF but this is fun. I usually immerse myself in the Thai news forum which will make anyone cynical.

Now I don't want to be pedantic but I just can't help it. I get the impression you maybe from the USA (please correct me if I'm wrong) so I think the forum keeps you using American English but don't worry practice makes perfect apparently. laugh.png

Accept responsibility for your own actions.

You're quite right. Had I chosen to contribute to the thread, it would have been improved immeasurably for the benefit of everyone.

Mea culpa.

You mean instead of the 2 posts that were cr4p ! :)

Classic evidence of post count versus quality !

Edited by cardholder
  • Like 1

I don't often come on the GF but this is fun.

laugh.png Ooer missus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bugger me.

When I first signed up to Thaivisa I was confused by "gf" but eventually worked it out.

When I started reading this I was confused at first by "GF" but eventually worked it out.

What really annoys me is I never noticed this double entendre. I'm actually from Southampton in the UK, the birthplace of Benny Hill and pride myself on my appreciation of the double entendre.

Still at least I got another one in the GF.

Edited by kimamey

Bugger me.

When I first signed up to Thaivisa I was confused by "gf" but eventually worked it out.

When I started reading this I was confused at first by "GF" but eventually worked it out.

What really annoys me is I never noticed this double entendre. I'm actually from Southampton in the UK, the birthplace of Benny Hill and pride myself on my appreciation of the double entendre.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

CLASSIC !! I just peed my nappy at that one.

Bugger me.

There are some hard and fast rules about using double entendres as the great Benny knew well.

1) Make sure, in your excitement at using a DE, that you don't start to hyperventilate. You may come over a little queer.

2) If you're nervous about using double entendres have a whisky to calm yourself. I find a stiff one inside me works wonders.

3) Always have a list of double entendres in your pocket and practise in front of your GF. Just whip it out and wave it in her face when she's least expecting it. She'll love it. Especially if it's a big one.

( Stop sniggering at the back there!!!!!)

Edited by mca
  • Like 1

Bugger me.

There are some hard and fast rules about using double entendres as the great Benny knew well.

1) Make sure, in your excitement at using a DE, that you don't start to hyperventilate. You may come over a little queer.

Who's going to pay for the laundry?

Actually endure mate my mum used to do all the laundry for my dad and his pals when they worked for P and O ferries in the boiler room. It got really hot down there so they sweated a lot leading to damp patches under the arms of their t-shirts. They were always very pleased with the cleanliness and freshness when she'd finished. I'll ask her cos she must be a world expert on satisfying sailors and salty seamen stains.

Actually endure mate my mum used to do all the laundry for my dad and his pals when they worked for P and O ferries in the boiler room. It got really hot down there so they sweated a lot leading to damp patches under the arms of their t-shirts. They were always very pleased with the cleanliness and freshness when she'd finished. I'll ask her cos she must be a world expert on satisfying sailors and salty seamen stains.

My father said he worked for Cunard.

SC

I was a salty seaman who worked for P&O but I was never considered suitable for the passenger ships - I had to work in the bulk division.

SC

Canberra cruises where the QE2 refuses...

SC

So you think you dad's the only bloke who worked for Cunard? That's a bit presumptuous mate!

• Like 1

I was a salty seaman who worked for P&O but I was never considered suitable for the passenger ships - I had to work in the bulk division.

I heard that you responsibilty was working in the hold on the African leg of the cruise sorting out the trophies of the local game hunters. Didn't you used to mount them professionally as well? ( ands that's not the double entendre folks!) I was told that the other workers would weep in sympathy when you had a particualrly heavy one. Apparently the way you handled those well hung black bucks brought tears to a mans eyes.....

• Like 1

SC

So you think you dad's the only bloke who worked for Cunard? That's a bit presumptuous mate!

He was a silver service waiter, but he got sacked for responding in kind when a gentleman asked for a fork 'n' knife.

SC

Why so cynical ? Let me tell you what happened to me the last time I visited this new bar soy 33.

It's a new hi-tech bar and the waiter is a robot with the most advanced artificial brain. You have to answer his question and then he serves you the drink that suits you the best.

So I went there, he asked me "what is your IQ ?". I answered 165. He then served me his best liquor and we started talking about the Higgs boson.

I have to say I was really impressed so I came back the next day but this time I answered 80. He served me a cool imported draught beer and we talked about sport.

I decided to go for a last test and this time I answered 30. He took a warm Chang beer from under the bar and then asked me "So, what is your ThaiVisa favorite poster ?"

Edited by JurgenG
  • Like 1