Girlfriend And Baby To Visit Uk

A friend of mine, married to a Thai for I guess nearly 20 years and both have lived and worked during that time mainly in the UK, have a house in a village in Pang Na. Now his son who is 18 has been in a relationship for about two years with a girl who is from that village and is about one year older.

They have a baby who is 1yr and 2 months old. They have known each other since they were about seven and the son has spent holidays etc there and even gone to school with her for a period. The son works for the father in his well established business in the UK.

The baby has just got his Thai Passport.

Now the son wants the girl, who doesn’t really have a job, to visit the UK for about eight weeks with the baby.

What are the chances? Under what circumstances should she apply ie what visa. What info should she/they provide ... who should sponsor the father or the son or both?

I’m not sure that they have a computer between them here in Thailand so I guess I’ll be providing some help ... so I need yours ... Thanks guys.

edit for type face too small as wrote this in word

Edited by JAS21

If child's father was British otherwise than by descent (eg via birth in UK, naturalisation or registration) when child was born, then child is automatically British (2(1)(a)) and may apply for a Consular Birth registration (optional) and either a British passport or a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode.

Edited by vinny

It is very important to know the legal status of both parents as stated above. If your son was born in the UK then he is a British Citizen otherwise by descent and as stated above the baby should already have the right to citizenship by descent!

If the son was born 18 years ago in Thailand and the father is British other than descent, the son should be able to claim British Citizenship by descent. This does not confer an automatic right to citizenship by descent for the baby. The child may still qualify but this may not be automatic.

My advice would be to explore this aspect as it will make travel a lot easier in the future.

I suspect that you may otherwise get bogged down with the usual reasons to return etc which is fairly nonsensical for a baby!

Check out Vinny's post carefully as this may be the real answer to your question!

Guys ... thanks, by the way it's my friends son and yes he was born in the UK.

Now I have had a look around ... I see the ON-LINE application and I am not sure that they can do it, but I have told them how to.

So IS IT AN OPTION to download the application form and then take it to VFS in Bangkok ? If they do this is it likely to be a long wait there? especially as they plan to go 8th March!

Any other option?

By the way I am in BK and they are in Pang Na. So not that easy for me to do it for them.

thanks

Presumably, the son (baby's father) is British.

What reasons will they have to return to Thailand?

Sons father is British ... yes sorry I just assumed. He married a lady from Pang Na many many years ago and then brought he to the UK. But built a house in her village for whatever.

The father is basically computer illerate and I don't think his son is all that much better!!!

So is there an option to apply not online and take the VAF form there?... I said to him little hope of a visa but never know ... yes what is his gfs reason to return ... only I guess that one day they will both want to live in the UK legally.

Perhaps she should consider an appropriate settlement visa.

Thanks Vinny ... I have no idea if they want to go that way at present. I guess that they would perhaps have more luck ... what they are trying now looks to me a bit of a long shot.

I still would like to know...

They can print off the application form and take it to the visa people and wait to hand it in ... in this case will an interview take place there and then ... when I get this confirmed I'll fax all I know to them ... thanks

You have to fill in the application online, when completed you print a copy and take that as well as the appointment print out with you to VFS.

You cannot just turn up with a old printed application form it must be done via the website.

You have to fill in the application online, when completed you print a copy and take that as well as the appointment print out with you to VFS.

You cannot just turn up with a old printed application form it must be done via the website.

Thanks ... that is what I wanted to know ... as I think that is his intension!

Someone can close this thread now thanks .........

• 1 month later...

Thanks ... that is what I wanted to know ... as I think that is his intension!

Someone can close this thread now thanks .........

Well, surprise surprise just been told today... the GF and baby got visas to visit the UK... They sorted an interview via the web site ... father had to provide a guarantee of finances,., put some money in the girls account etc... by the way, yes the son is British. Maybe helped that the father has been married to a Thai for 20+ years.