Who Remembers Soi Zero... And The Great Bars Under The Bridge

cattoc

Not sure how long it has been closed down.. but who can share their memories of that iniquitous collection of bars pool rooms and open air karaoke bars under and around the Sukhumvut Bridge, railway crossing near PloenChit station and near to the JW Marriot.The finally called it Soi Zero .. what amazed me were how resourceful the small bars were in building a business from virtually nothing - often a couple of bottles of spirits... Those girls sure had strong business skills and coul teach a few big companies how to really run a tight ship - knew their cash situation exactly. focused on their customers, relentless marketing.. increasing capaital when they could afford it.. making the most in tough times.

My favourite was the EMU bar - an Aussie theme - but frequented by DEA guys from the Amercian Embassy.. it was their favourite hangout..

My favorite was Det One, alot of my buddies who were involved with Cobragold hung out there and muuuuch fun was had! I am happy to date myself for those were some of the best times I had in BKK and I am particularily fond of the 42 bht to to the USD during those times,...Oh well, everything must pass I reckon.

I also really miss the huge beer bar area that was just off of the Nana station, Soi 6 ,I think? One night a huge tractor just came in and leveled the place and the land is barren to this day and I never really new the story why that went down that way, maybe somebody on the forum can recall and drop a line.

Also at that time, the corner of Asoke and Sukhumvit just had a bunch a beat up chairs and couches and even more beer bars were you to cut through diagnally towards the Soi Cowboy end 23,....the whole of Sukhumvit really felt more like Pattaya to me at that time and ass we all know there has been alot of progress and gentrification,...which I guess was inevetible but still sucks as I wax nostalgically.

Glad to have been there at that time and I wish I was there right now!

It looks like there is some new, enclosed retail space built there under the tollway? I noticed it running by the other day.

And there was a feeble attempt last year to launch a more cohesive market there on Douang Phitak, at Sukbumvit adjacent to the train tracks, but that fell through and now it's back to ramshackle arrangement as before.

My favorite was Det One, alot of my buddies who were involved with Cobragold hung out there and muuuuch fun was had! I am happy to date myself for those were some of the best times I had in BKK and I am particularily fond of the 42 bht to to the USD during those times,...Oh well, everything must pass I reckon.

I also really miss the huge beer bar area that was just off of the Nana station, Soi 6 ,I think? One night a huge tractor just came in and leveled the place and the land is barren to this day and I never really new the story why that went down that way, maybe somebody on the forum can recall and drop a line.

Also at that time, the corner of Asoke and Sukhumvit just had a bunch a beat up chairs and couches and even more beer bars were you to cut through diagnally towards the Soi Cowboy end 23,....the whole of Sukhumvit really felt more like Pattaya to me at that time and ass we all know there has been alot of progress and gentrification,...which I guess was inevetible but still sucks as I wax nostalgically.

We can add Clinton Plaza to your list of historical places along Sukhumvit. There was Doll House, The White House and live music at Tivoli.

That strip was known as Buckskin Joe's. I used to play pool there a lot. Best story I can remember is all the bars emptying out to chase a centipede - girls with cuesticks, broom, extension cords, anything they could lay hands on. The crowd grew as the poor bug ran like hell (they can REALLY move), until it looked like a mini-skirt clad version of the villagers chasing Frankenstein's monster. Centipedes die hard, and it only made it halfway down the walkway...

Like many things long gone, it belonged to a different Bangkok.

Buckskin Joes, Clinton Plaza and Asoke corner, they were the really great and fun places at the time and sadly, nothing has come along since to satisfactorily replace them, big sigh. The earlier version of Buckskin Joes was the best, before the concrete bars were built, a ramshackled assortment of wooden bars that shook as the trains went by, great character places.

The area you mention "off soi 6" was actually at Soi 10, where CHEWIT PARK is now. I was staying in the Miami Hotel and watched from the roof that January '04 night when around 3am, several hundred off duty police and soldiers suddenly showed up and totally trashed the place. It had many small beer bars, restaurants and massage parlors and by the time they were through, absolutely nothing remained. They also severely beat up several business owners who showed up trying to protect their property.

Chewit was the well known "Massage Parlor Millionaire" who had bought the land to build a major retail complex. The previous owner had given legal, long term leases to all the small businesses in the parcel and they wouldn't budge when Chewit ordered them out so he did it the traditional Thai way. There was a huge uproar and he faced criminal charges. He also had major political ambitions so instead of developing the land, he built the private park that occupies the space now.

He ran for PM several years ago and came in 2nd or 3rd.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 2

That strip was known as Buckskin Joe's. I used to play pool there a lot. Best story I can remember is all the bars emptying out to chase a centipede - girls with cuesticks, broom, extension cords, anything they could lay hands on. The crowd grew as the poor bug ran like hell (they can REALLY move), until it looked like a mini-skirt clad version of the villagers chasing Frankenstein's monster. Centipedes die hard, and it only made it halfway down the walkway...

Like many things long gone, it belonged to a different Bangkok.

Buckskin Joe's Village was the sign over the entrance wasn't it?

I used to hang out there on Sunday afternoons after a big breakfast at Jools while waiting for Cowboy to open.

Edit: can't remember the name of the bar, it was about half way down on the right but they moved to Soi Nana under the name Honey Bar.

Edited by PattayaParent

Asoke Corner...Wow! That and Country Road 2 on the corner of Sukhumvit and Soi 19 were my introductions to Bangkok. I miss them both. I miss Buffalo Band that used to play there. Bob could do a mean "Hey Joe." I think Buffalo has retired now since there place above the Foodland on Soi 5 has been closed for some time.

The area you mention "off soi 6" was actually at Soi 10, where CHEWIT PARK is now. I was staying in the Miami Hotel and watched from the roof that January '04 night when around 3am, several hundred off duty police and soldiers suddenly showed up and totally trashed the place. It had many small beer bars, restaurants and massage parlors and by the time they were through, absolutely nothing remained. They also severely beat up several business owners who showed up trying to protect their property.

Chewit was the well known "Massage Parlor Millionaire" who had bought the land to build a major retail complex. The previous owner had given legal, long term leases to all the small businesses in the parcel and they wouldn't budge when Chewit ordered them out so he did it the traditional Thai way. There was a huge uproar and he faced criminal charges. He also had major political ambitions so instead of developing the land, he built the private park that occupies the space now.

In fact Chewit had leased the land to a company that had in turn rented space to all the bar owners, the problems arose when the leaseholder continued to collect rent from the bars but failed to pay Chewit. It was not Chewit's chice that apark be built there, instead it was more of a penalty that was imposed upon him, ironic justice I always felt, a bit like owning a white elehphant.

• Like 1

I liked Soi Zero. Relaxed, cheap and fun place to hang out. I also really liked Soi 10. Remember being on the sky train the next day and stared in amazement at what they had done. Met several of the owners that day and they were all wiped out. The internet cafe had all their equipment trashed. The guy had loans on it. Not sure what happened to him. A mess for sure.

yes he built a park that is open between 8-10 am and 4t to 6pm.

its where cops go to sleep during the day. Some boon to the community, a park that is never open

• Like 1

Bri9646, the Country road that used to be above Foodland has relocated, still in Soi 5 just as you turn into the alley between Soi 5 and 7 it is right on the corner, easy to miss I think. Fairly sure that is where you will still see Bob but be prepared for a shock, Country Road has pushed prices the through the roof, about 120 baht a small beer. This is throughout the franchise - even in Pattaya and Jomtien, shame, they do good live music (except Jomtien).

Edited by planemad

Place had character, added to the local color of Bangkok. It's really too bad it's gone.

If you want a trip down bar memory lane, then check out "The Old Office" in Pat Pong. It is most likely the oldest bar still in existents in Bangkok. The owner is in her 60's and still remember GI's drinking at her bar. Worth a drink and just enjoy the old interior decoration and pictures.

The bar is about 50 years old and started out as the "The New Office", but changes names later.

When it started out in the early nineties it was called "Buckskin Joe Village"; changed the name into "Soi Zero" quite a few years later. You were lucky when it was busy. It was fantastic then, drink prices were cheap, the atmosphere great and it was easy to party for a few hours. However, on the much more frequent quiet nights the place resembled a ghost town and then the hassle of different girls trying to pull you into their respective bars sometimes was a little much. The few punters who had strayed there were usually just as miserable as the girls. I also always found it quite bizarre when trains roared by right behind the row of bars on the left and everything started shaking for a couple of minutes or so.

Place had character, added to the local color of Bangkok. It's really too bad it's gone.

If you want a trip down bar memory lane, then check out "The Old Office" in Pat Pong. It is most likely the oldest bar still in existents in Bangkok. The owner is in her 60's and still remember GI's drinking at her bar. Worth a drink and just enjoy the old interior decoration and pictures.

The bar is about 50 years old and started out as the "The New Office", but changes names later.

Thanks. Next time I spend a night in BKK, I'll do that.

There was a bar in Patpong 2 throughout the 70s called "The Other Office". I don't ever remember seeing too many GIs there, it was popular with expat construction workers though. It had a one room massage parlor on the right on the way in - always had dust in the bath tub, I don't think there were too many actual massages going on.