Bangkok's 'Hitler Chic' Trend Riles Tourists, Israeli Envoy

webfact

As a German i feel ashamed. Sorry.

You are a German of this generation. You should have no reason to be ashamed. The evil was commited by past generations.

However your people are well aware of the evils of Naziism and Hitler's rule and have strict rules regarding Nazi symbolism and its abuse.

That would also apply to Japanese people. They understand history. Thais have yet to learn.

No germans of any generation need feel guilty of a history that has only been manipulated and distorted to benefit a few...and the term nazi, is actually Ashenazi/Khazar/Zionist and they are still present in society today...especially in America, Canada, U.K., Israel and Australia..

You ideas and writings make no sense.

But you do hate Jews.

I bet you love Hitler.

I do not believe Hitler representations are funny, entertaining, or neither anything that should be tolerated. Hitler would not have accepted the Thai people. Hitler was against many different groups of people.

I do not believe that turning children's icons into icons that represent hate and marketing them is justifiable, no matter how long ago that it happened. One can use recent international atrocities as a comparison to try and justify it, but one current action of attempted genocide does not make it okay to market the past ones.

This isn't simply about swastikas or inverted swastikas, but of hitler and representations of Nazi paraphernalia.

Didn't the nazis try to make their stuff fashionable in their propaganda?

Where are the ideas to market Hitler coming from?

The best way to build a bridge is not to promote symbolic icons of hate and genocide, but to forgive people and prevent repetition of the hate or symbols of it.

Reminds me of that scandal when Prince Harry appeared at a party in SA uniform. It triggered a hilarious rsponse in the British press.

For one, a satire magazine (can't remember its name) had a picture of Hitler on its cover with a speech bubble that said: "I've come as Prince Harry!".

Then there was that newspaper caricature showing Prince Charles arm in arm with Camilla. Prince Harry in Nazi uniform and wearing a swastika armband was standing before the couple. Charles said: "Harry! How can you possibly wear this horrible thing on your arm?" Harry replied: "I just wanted to ask you the same thing, father."

British humour at its best.

Haha, sounds like good old Private Eye! They used to get around libel and defamation laws buy giving key members of society, notably the royals, nicknames. Could you imagine that here?

Edited by bigbamboo

Maybe the shirts are just a metaphor, showing how the 'corporate takeover' of some industries can be seen as 'Nazi' in theory. That's probably what the Thai people mean by wearing shirts like that.

Yes you're right and McDonalds junk food kill millions every year. Half my family are Jewish and 2 family members were lost in WW2. But we have no problem with this. People could make the same objections to Soviet, Japanese or Ghenghis Khan symbolism. Provocative art is a more correct way to see it.

Disgusting for sure...

BUT i wonder how many people in america under the age of 20 would even know who he was if they were shown a picture of Hitler? My guess is not many even though i presume american schools still teach something about WW2...but in thailand? I bet not one in 100 Thai kids would be able to recognize a picture or know ANYTHING about the nazi's or the holocaust etc. On the other hand how much would an american kid know about any history involving thailand or other asian countries...probably not much is my guess.

Little bit like going to Viet Nam as an american i was half expecting a lot of stuff about the vietnam war...but ...i was surprised that most of the young people didn't seem to know or care much about the war....vietnam ended in 1975 so if you are under 38 you weren't even born til it was over...

The most astonishing thing to me is (and I am German) the kind of p@ssing game that got started over who killed more and who is the greater despot or more evil: Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot or Jesus...?!

<deleted> has one to do with the other!

Do you kill someone, because somebody else killed someone?

This is not about what is "better" a Hitler or a Bin Laden T-shirt...

They are both dispicable crap IMHO.

This is solely about Hitler and just the fact that someone else, somewhen and somewhere might have killed mor or less people doesn't make him a good guy or a funny person.

As much as I have NOTHING against irony or sarcasm or parody...do you really think, that the Thais get it?!

Since when is irony a typical Thai trade?

Thai comedy consists (at least the usual TV crap) of fat guys dressing up as women or people being hit in the head with a pan or slipping on a banana skin.

Irony my @ss!

People shouldn't take offense to others when no offense is meant. It really is that simple. Most Thais no little about Hitler's Germany and even less about the Jews sensitivity to such things. This is their country and they are free to express themselves anyway they want according to the laws and acceptable practices of their country. They are also free to learn the history in school that they believe is relevant to Thailand. If a Thai decides and is able to go live in another country where such expressions, jokes or symbols are unaccepted then they will be the ones at fault if they choose to apply their home countries standards of acceptability to their new home.

I thought we learned as children that Stick and stones may break my bones ....

• Like 2

The most astonishing thing to me is (and I am German) the kind of p@ssing game that got started over who killed more and who is the greater despot or more evil: Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot or Jesus...?!

<deleted> has one to do with the other!

Do you kill someone, because somebody else killed someone?

This is not about what is "better" a Hitler or a Bin Laden T-shirt...

They are both dispicable crap IMHO.

This is solely about Hitler and just the fact that someone else, somewhen and somewhere might have killed mor or less people doesn't make him a good guy or a funny person.

As much as I have NOTHING against irony or sarcasm or parody...do you really think, that the Thais get it?!

Since when is irony a typical Thai trade?

Thai comedy consists (at least the usual TV crap) of fat guys dressing up as women or people being hit in the head with a pan or slipping on a banana skin.

Irony my @ss!

Huh? Who in the hell did jesus kill? muhammad yes, he and his followers admit and brag about it. But jesus nope, sure, some that claim to be his followers did, but not jesus.

Isreal should stop bugging Thailand and Nazi, and terrorism.

Could you try to rewrite that in semi-understandable English?

I hope that people who profit from the image of Nazi Hilter be punished, by re-incarnation, and be born again in a stick Jewish family.

So that they understand how much the Jew really suffered.

Before anyone begins bringing the Jews into this and it becomes a Jews Vs Nazi debate and a platform for the right wing brigade, let us realise that these symbols signify an evil, brutal regime and the murders of millions of innocents in many nations, as much today as it did seventy odd years ago.

I don`t know of any Westerners, including Germans who have not lost relatives during the Second World War, including myself.

This is something that should not be re-vomited, not even in fun, because these symbols can be intimidating, still strike fear into some people and bring back tragic memories to many.

It`s just something we don`t want and although I believe should never be forgotten, we don`t need crude tasteless symbols of madmen thrown in our faces which is an insult to those who suffered, were murdered and died for their countries during a time when insanity prevailed.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Not a big deal in my opinion. As time goes on it becomes older and older history. For most young people the 2nd world war is as ancient history as many other wars which people no longer would get worked up about, especially outside of Europe. These T-Shirts etc.. in no way mean people are agreeing in anyway what he did or what he stood for. It's understandable why the Israelis might not like it but then they should really mind their own business outside of their own country, instead of trying to dictate what can be sold in malls here

I despise what Hitler did and it sickens me(as it does most people).

But does seeing cartoon images of him on T-Shirts for sale offend me? No.

Would I wear one? No, not really in good taste I think.

Would seeing some Thai teenager wearing one offend me? No, why should it, they are not Nazis...

Edited by madjbs

Most Germans were not Nazis but conscripts.

Ordinary German's killed Jews willingly and happily.

A minority...

Why I do not know, probably the propaganda they were brain washed with.

We in the UK have people who are racist too, I know a guy, National Front thug, he says would happily run a "Paki" down given the oppertunity and I have every reason to belive he would.

Every society has them.

I think you're all mistaken about some of this.

The Ronald McDonald that looks like Hitler makes a lot of sense to me.

Americans have killed much much more muslims, directly and indirectly, than the 2nd world war jews.

Their behaviour is shaded by their mighty TV and Cinema propaganda and it's hard to see through, but they are at least the equals of Germand Nazis.

Little Ronald McHitler makes so much sense to me.

If you don't see that then you're the ignorant brainwashed one.

even an idiot can have a lovely avatar. Who is she?

A minority...

I disagree and feel I can back up my statement. But to continue and go into depth would be a mammoth task, which would be interrupted by the usual anti Semites. So I will leave you with your opinion.smile.png

It is a big difference to watch Hogan's Heroes at home than running around with an Adolf Kitty printed on your shirt.

Over the last 15 odd years, I have seen some of the weirdest stuff printed on Thai's shirts. From a very dark-skinned lass wearing a White Power slogan to a reprint of a Hallmark Sympathy Card - In Deepest Sympathy followed by a truly awful poem. None of then realise how truly inappropriate their shirt is, or intend any offense.

I treat it with amusement.

I don't think Thailand's education for children is all that bad, what? just because they have a teletubbie with a little Hitler moustache broadcast on their Hitler youth channel? You can barely even see which one of the four teletubbies he is, my Thai pratom 1 son had to point out to me that it's the 3rd one from the reich. My only problem is when they showed little telefuhrer playing some tickle me elmo with Tinky Winky, Mao Mao, and baby PO POt.

As the spokesman for the LA Simon Wiesenthal Centre himself admits

"..manifestations of Nazi chic in the region largely come down to sheer ignorance."

So, it's not really rampant antisemitism at all. Just a storm in a teacup that the PC brigade, most of whom no longer have any direct links to or memory of the holocaust, get a warm fuzzy feeling by soap boxing on. It is an issue that is mostly moribund or totally unknown to the greater part of the worlds population. However, he can't help himself from pleading, "..locals should wise up about Hitler and his pernicious ideological legacy." Yes indeed... let's remember the bad guys so we can justify our own waning appeal and very existence.

I have absolutely no problems with remembrance and embrace the somber, respectful, "Lest we Forget" attitude that prevails when any nation honors it's fallen regardless of the theater. I have the highest respect for those who have fallen in rightful wars and conquests. There's no denying the Holocaust or the lingering pain it has cast upon those of the Jewish faith either. However, this histrionic overreaction to what... some tasteless t-shirt designs and caricaturing of symbols of western commerce in Hitler-like ways? Please stop will you?

About 30 years ago, in an admittedly juvenile fit of pique with my Chinese hosts preoccupation with my 'inflexible' work attitudes, I cultured a Hitler mustache as exactly that... a Hitler mustache. My hosts without having to think twice about it considered my new facial hair as very much like Charlie Chaplin... and the moment (and my point) was totally lost.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

A minority...

I disagree and feel I can back up my statement. But to continue and go into depth would be a mammoth task, which would be interrupted by the usual anti Semites. So I will leave you with your opinion.smile.png

Behind every leader are a thousand people willing to be led.

Spare me the hyperventilating ranting about how aghast people are that only Thais could do this. You can walk into any tshirt shop in London/New york, Sydney etc and buy t shirts with Stalin faces on them (he only killed 15 million people mind you), or che guava (sic) etc.etc

Good point!

I bought a teeshirt at Temple Street Night Market in Hong Kong at the weekend.

It had a picture of Mao on it.

Would people stop being so freakin dramatic. These images are obviously ironic.

Do you know what the word "ironic" means?

As a German i feel ashamed. Sorry.

‘Lammbock’…..I don’t think you have anything to be ashamed off!

So your German, did you commit any of the atrocities carried out by the Nazis. This happened in a different time and it was not just Germans.

I have a friend, a German guy who tells me how as a child in school they were constantly battered about how bad the German people were, I think he also is affected by what happened and feel guilt.

I’m British, and we as a past nation have many skeletons in our closet, I believe we are responsible for the first concentration camp, among other thing. But when you finish on the winning side…….You get to write the history.

If the Axis powers had won the war……How would history have been written?

As far as all this Hitler thing now in Thailand, I think it’s funny, OK, it’s done out of ignorance for sure, but do you really think any Nazis that are lying in the wings and rubbing their hands and thinking the master plan starts with ‘Ronald Hitler’