Noise From The Spice!

junki3korean

I feel very sorry indeed for the OP's aunty.

Thailand a place where one's business can literally be destroyed overnight just because of the actions of another person and no recourse is available because of who that other person is.

Never invest once baht in Thailand past your next meal or what you are happy to throw down to toilet.

+ 1

I can't believe these people who come here and invest their life savings

Edited by LannaFarang

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been to spicy twice, once as a "I've heard waaaay too many crazy stories to not go". I promised I never would return. A few years later I did, and while they cleaned it up a bit, I quickly remembered why I promised I would never return. There are much better clubs to stay out at til 5-6am.

Been to spicy twice, once as a "I've heard waaaay too many crazy stories to not go". I promised I never would return. A few years later I did, and while they cleaned it up a bit, I quickly remembered why I promised I would never return. There are much better clubs to stay out at til 5-6am.

Where? And not Lucky please. ;)

I didn't say it would make all the problems go away, I said it "might improve the situation." Any reduction in business at Spice would be a good thing for the neighbors. Perfection is unattainable, but the cumulative effect of a lot of small improvements can be impressive.

Just out of curiosity, how many TV members who are following this topic have visited Spice in the last few months, or plan to visit sometime in the future? Don't be shy, we won't think less of you (snicker) for your entertainment choices.

In the old location, I would pop in maybe 2-5 times per month. Since they've moved to the new location, just twice. Once on opening night to see how it was (spent about 15 minutes there and left) and again back in November/ December to see if it had gotten any better. The place definitely lacks the appeal of the old location and I have to believe its having a major impact on their bottom line. And the couple times I drove by (albeit no time recently), they were working really hard to give off the appearance that they were closed down (windows blacked out, outside lights off, not allowing people to congregate in front of the building). They had some of the wait staff outside trying to convince tourists that they were in fact open and they should come inside.

I dont know how much has changed there since December, but it appeared the protests/ complaints from the local neighborhood were taking a toll. I would venture a guess that Spicy was generating only 30-50% of the revenue they did in the old location.

From what I can tell, the police are leaving the Reggae bar area alone now for the most part. Lots of bars in there going until very late at night. So, when I'm up for some late night shenanigans, I would much rather head there and skip Spicy all together. And for those that are looking for it, there are now a lot of recognizable faces from the old spicy and Loi Kroh crowd that are now hanging around the Zoe in Yellow bar these days. Or so I've heard... wink.png

-Mestizo

• Like 1

Where? And not Lucky please. wink.png

I couldn't possibly tell you......... but it is true that gay people get to have much more fun in this town tongue.pngbiggrin.png

I didn't say it would make all the problems go away, I said it "might improve the situation." Any reduction in business at Spice would be a good thing for the neighbors. Perfection is unattainable, but the cumulative effect of a lot of small improvements can be impressive.

Just out of curiosity, how many TV members who are following this topic have visited Spice in the last few months, or plan to visit sometime in the future? Don't be shy, we won't think less of you (snicker) for your entertainment choices.

In the old location, I would pop in maybe 2-5 times per month. Since they've moved to the new location, just twice. Once on opening night to see how it was (spent about 15 minutes there and left) and again back in November/ December to see if it had gotten any better. The place definitely lacks the appeal of the old location and I have to believe its having a major impact on their bottom line. And the couple times I drove by (albeit no time recently), they were working really hard to give off the appearance that they were closed down (windows blacked out, outside lights off, not allowing people to congregate in front of the building). They had some of the wait staff outside trying to convince tourists that they were in fact open and they should come inside.

I dont know how much has changed there since December, but it appeared the protests/ complaints from the local neighborhood were taking a toll. I would venture a guess that Spicy was generating only 30-50% of the revenue they did in the old location.

From what I can tell, the police are leaving the Reggae bar area alone now for the most part. Lots of bars in there going until very late at night. So, when I'm up for some late night shenanigans, I would much rather head there and skip Spicy all together. And for those that are looking for it, there are now a lot of recognizable faces from the old spicy and Loi Kroh crowd that are now hanging around the Zoe in Yellow bar these days. Or so I've heard... wink.png

-Mestizo

zoe usually closes around 3...sometimes it will go til around 4. Most places are closed up by then. and yeah you get a few of the hoes from loi kroh stop in after they get off work, before they head to spicy.

"The Wiz" under Kad Suen Kaew, Old Fashion House. I am friends with a few of the DJs and staff. 99% of the time I am the only Farang though, it picks up around midnight and gets really full around 1-2am as Monkey, Warm Up, and the rest of Nimm close shop.

• Like 1

There are much better clubs to stay out at til 5-6am.

This is normally the time when I wake up. Am I missing something of importance? If so, I could adjust my clocks forward 5 or 6 hours (I'm allowed to stay up as long as I want) smile.png

This is normally the time when I wake up. Am I missing something of importance? If so, I could adjust my clocks forward 5 or 6 hours (I'm allowed to stay up as long as I want) smile.png

If dancing and drinking with 20-30something Thais is of importance to you, then yes. If it isn't, then no it's nothing to change your clocks over :P

You could just wake up an hour early and then head out. ;) But be warned, that is a VERY strange experience. Did that once. Your body clock is telling you 'coffee & cornflakes' but you're in a dazed crowd still in that twilight zone between drunk and hung over.

Superbowl Monday is a good day to do that. ;)

• Like 1

she runs a restaurant so why don,t she open late and take advantage of spicey.then would she complain

She is not in her twenties or thirties mate.She wakes up early to run the kitchen and tours. She spends the whole day working with her staff.

She lives at Korea house... She needs to sleep to work.

I wouldn't want any drunk douches eating there anyway.

Thanks for all the advise and sincerity towards my auntie. She has recently thought about selling, and has had a few offers already.

She does not want to benifit from The Spice what so ever. Alot of businesses around chang moi are furniture shops so they do not get effect heavily. I have seen that there is a new food joint that has opened up right next to the spice.

For now though.....my aunts going to keep running the guest house and restaurant. We have gone over to talk to the poeple manging the spice and were suprisingly nice about it. The loud bass wont change, the loud farangs wont change but they have agreed not to park around the guesthouse and the other night I saw the bike guard moving bikes that were parked near the guesthouse.

We will see how it goes..... I told my auntie to start selling durian at the front so that smell can take over the The Spice just like Spicy :)

if other places are selling and opening businesses in the food trade.then i would get on the band wagon before i lose out to the others taking advantage of spicey

junki3korean has just said that his/her auntie "does not want to benefit from The Spice whatsoever." Did you miss that?

if other places are selling and opening businesses in the food trade.then i would get on the band wagon before i lose out to the others taking advantage of spicey

junki3korean has just said that his/her auntie "does not want to benefit from The Spice whatsoever." Did you miss that?

Aside from that, the situation is that a traditional Korean lady running a family restaurant and bothering no one had an obnoxiously loud "after hours" toilet move in next door and being given free reign to crank out loud music until 6AM every day. And somehow the aholes here think that it's reasonable to tell her that she should get with the times and open a brothel that caters to people so drunk that they can't tell a katoey from a cocker spaniel.

Edited by OriginalPoster
  • Like 2

Aside from that, the situation is that a traditional Korean lady running a family restaurant and bothering no one had an obnoxiously loud "after hours" toilet move in next door and being given free reign to crank out loud music until 6AM every day. And somehow the aholes here think that it's reasonable to tell her that she should get with the times and open a brothel that caters to people so drunk that they can't tell a katoey from a cocker spaniel.

That can work to the drunk's advantage--he'd be much better off with a cocker spaniel. Unless he did something to provoke a bite in a sensitive area, and even that would be a learning experience.

• 4 weeks later...

yes me too - where? Zoe closes around 2/3 and they all head off to Spicy - so where? (talking 'straight' places here)

Let me think....discovery,mamdalay( the clubs above the gay hall), cosmo, or even rent a private room in karaoke joints and make your own party...All those joints mentioned closes not before 4am.

not quite the same thing is it? there are no bar like places open that late - the places you mention are big clubs and not the same type of venue and I think thats was the point. If you dont want to go to the big clubs full of Thais Spicy is about it

yes me too - where? Zoe closes around 2/3 and they all head off to Spicy - so where? (talking 'straight' places here)

I head off to "The Wiz" Old "Fashion House" 99% I am the only farang. Thais are extremely friendly with you there after you start speaking Thai. They also run specials like free bottle of 100 pipers if you are a table w/ 3 girls.

If you dont want to go to the big clubs full of Thais Spicy is about it

Kinda came to the wrong country for that, don't you think?

And Spicy has been quite full of Thai women the times I went there....

-Mestizo

If you dont want to go to the big clubs full of Thais Spicy is about it

Kinda came to the wrong country for that, don't you think?

And Spicy has been quite full of Thai women the times I went there....

-Mestizo

nope - Spice is full of Thai prostitutes yes - and there is a definite 'divide' between places farang hang out and Thais hang out

Zoe in yellow is full of those same prostitutes, I mean Reggae closes and then they all go to Spicy. So trying to establish what you want here.

Riverside, Reggae area, and loy Kroh spill into Spicy after hours.

Warm Up, Monkey, Ritmo, Mo'C Mo'L, the rest of Nimm and cosmo spill into Mandalay, Wiz, discovery

but I think Ritmo is also open later than 2, or at least sometimes and the times I have been to Discovery, I was out by 2.

I don't know much of the bars on what I like to call "The Payap side" as most of my friends studied at CMU and stick to the Nimm area.

If you want a bar, where you can sit down, talk, and share a beer after 2am. I only know of restaurants that continue to serve until the wee hours.

• Like 1

it would be nice to find an alternative to Le Spicy that is not a huge club full of noise and Thais hugging a bottle of 100 pipers between 10 of them after 2am - there is little choice apart from the obvious ones pointed out already (i.e. 'clubby' places with a very young crowd)