Leaving Something To A Known Thai In My Will

bitewhentested

hi guys and girls just a quick question maybe one of you have done this in the past i want to leave my known thai girl friend my apartment and thai bank accounts in my will in case something happens to me its in my name all above bored also if so what tax and fees might she incur or can i pay something when i make the will to stop her from losing money

remember guys known thai lets not have any silly thai bashing remarks

thanks enjoy your day yes i know a bit morbid lol

Edited by metisdead
Fonts reset to default and edited misspelling for clarity, topic title edited for clarity.

Definitely seek a lawyer proficient in Thai law and your home countries law's. That being said, you may also want to look into joint ownership, which will follow survivorship laws. Keep in mind though, this is irrevocable unless you get her consent/signature...

You can do this at the ampher for nearly free. You will need your and her ID, Your bank books, your chanote and a letter from a doctor saying you are sane ( Do not worry the doctors will lie if needed.)

You may need someone to translate. You declare to the officer what you are leaving and to who. They will write this up and then you sign it and they will keep it at the ampur.

Some questions:

Who`s name is your apartment in at the present?

Is it a condo or another type of home?

Are you eligable to own this apartment under Thai law?

Regarding your Thai bank accounts? All this can be arranged with the manager at the bank without the requirement to make a will.

Otherwise if reluctant to answer these questions on this forum, then I suggest you do what other posters have advised; go and see a lawyer.

Some questions:

Regarding your Thai bank accounts? All this can be arranged with the manager at the bank without the requirement to make a will.

Otherwise if reluctant to answer these questions on this forum, then I suggest you do what other posters have advised; go and see a lawyer.

....arranged with the manager at the bank....

If your suggesting to make a personal one off arrangement with the local bank manager then .....

- What happens if the local bank manager gets killed in a car accident tomorrow?

- What happens if the local bank manager gets transferred to Koh Samui tomorrow?

- What happens if, on your death, the local bank manager says 'there's a fee - 30% of whatever is in the account', and let's say this matter is not recorded elsewhere. So what does your girlfriend do now?

I'm very sure what you wish can be done, but do it the right way, as already suggested, consult a respected lawyer.

Not sure I would be happy with this arrangement

Edited by scorecard

Some questions:

....arranged with the manager at the bank....

If your suggesting to make a personal one off arrangement with the local bank manager then .....

- What happens if the local bank manager gets killed in a car accident tomorrow?

- What happens if the local bank manager gets transferred to Koh Samui tomorrow?

- What happens if, on your death, the local bank manager says 'there's a fee - 30% of whatever is in the account', and let's say this matter is not recorded elsewhere. So what does your girlfriend do now?

I'm very sure what you wish can be done, but do it the right way, as already suggested, consult a respected lawyer.

Not sure I would be happy with this arrangement

Discussing this matter with a manager of a bank does not mean making a personal contract with him/her, but with the bank to be applied onto the said bank accounts forthwith.

I really have no idea what you`re on about?

I'm pretty sure the OP means NON-Thai...

Metisdead you might want to confirm and edit the topic title again...

Op wrote: ......known thai girl friend.......Can't see how you interpret that to non Thai

When I read the OP, I read the words to mean he has a known Thai girl friend and another one (or more) that no one knows about that might want to make a claim on his estate.

Saying "known girl friend" implies there is an "unknown one" somewhere, otherwise "girl friend" is sufficient. Or, as Clodhopper suggested, English is not his native language.