New Aeon Atm Installed Upstairs At Siam Tv

Mickeem

I've never been charged a fee at an Aeon machine using my US issued Schwab card or TD Bank card. I had a BofA card but never used it because of all the fees.

Unfortunately, I don't get to use Aeon machines as often as I would like. i was in tesco on the Superhiway the other day and both machines were out of service. I'd say that 3/4 of the time I use a machine other than an Aeon one because either the Aeon machines are out of order or the lines are too long. Since I seem to be the only one with that problem I should post here when I plan on using an Aeon machine as a warning to others to try elsewhere. So, here goes -- I planon trying the Aeon ATM's at Airport Plaza tomorrow afternoon.

Should be ok tomorrow but it's a Saturday and more Thai's who are not working will be out shopping and paying bills at Aeon machines. Suggest you go out early. Normally long lines at the end/start of the month when people get paid so avoid those times too.

I've never been charged a fee at an Aeon machine using my US issued Schwab card or TD Bank card. I had a BofA card but never used it because of all the fees.

Unfortunately, I don't get to use Aeon machines as often as I would like. i was in tesco on the Superhiway the other day and both machines were out of service. I'd say that 3/4 of the time I use a machine other than an Aeon one because either the Aeon machines are out of order or the lines are too long. Since I seem to be the only one with that problem I should post here when I plan on using an Aeon machine as a warning to others to try elsewhere. So, here goes -- I planon trying the Aeon ATM's at Airport Plaza tomorrow afternoon.

Should be ok tomorrow but it's a Saturday and more Thai's who are not working will be out shopping and paying bills at Aeon machines. Suggest you go out early. Normally long lines at the end/start of the month when people get paid so avoid those times too.

You don't understand. I'm not making a special trip. I try to use an Aeon ATM when I happen to be there. The last two times I was there, only one machine was working. How many will be working tomorrow?

It really doesn't matter to me. I'll use any ATM. I don't pay the 150 baht at any ATM, but I'd prefer to save Schwab the fee.

You don't understand. I'm not making a special trip. I try to use an Aeon ATM when I happen to be there. The last two times I was there, only one machine was working. How many will be working tomorrow?

It really doesn't matter to me. I'll use any ATM. I don't pay the 150 baht at any ATM, but I'd prefer to save Schwab the fee.

Understood; I use these machines every week and I've only ever seen one not working, and there was a Guy there fixing it. Better luck next time.

Edited by trainman34014

Does anyone know what the maximum withdrawal from Aeon is? I did a search on TV and some members were saying 40K THB possibly more but that may have been in BKK. I need 50K THB. Can I get it at one time or do I have to take 25K or 40K (or whatever the amount is) and come back in 24 hours for the rest? My limit on my home bank card is 5,000 Euros per day so that is not an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Why not go into a bank and do an over the counter withdrawal? All you need is your card and your passport, as simple as any deposit/withdrawal transaction and the rate (for me at least) is good.

Why not go into a bank and do an over the counter withdrawal? All you need is your card and your passport, as simple as any deposit/withdrawal transaction and the rate (for me at least) is good.

That only works with a credit card or debit card though right? How about a regular Cirrus / Plus bank card?

That only works with a credit card or debit card though right? How about a regular Cirrus / Plus bank card?

Not sure, can't remember if I ever had reason to do it with my non-Visa Nationwide card.

You guys in CNX are lucky back in the states there is a $3 transaction fee across the board.

Whether your withdrawing from a savings or checking account, PLUS or CIRRUS may also be a factor for getting charged.

Thai ATMs can only dispense 20 notes per transaction = 20,000 baht (or in case machine only has 500 baht notes left = 10,000 baht). You can repeat to the daily limit of your card.

Not exactly. I just returned from Khamtieng. Here is what happened. I tried SCB first and asked for a counter withdrawal. Their machine could not read the microchip on my Maestro Card. The guy did not seem at all familiar with the Maestro Card. He said they have been having problems with the European cards with the chips. Sometimes the system can read them, other times not. I then went to Bank of Ayudhya. Not possible there said the manager who invited me to use their ATM for a maximum of 30K THB (+150 THB fee). So I went to AEON, stuck my card in and entered 50K THB. The ATM dispensed 50K THB - no problem. So it seems AEON can dispense higher amounts than discussed in the other thread about BKK AEON ATM's.

update:

Bangkok Bank ATMs: 25 notes

Aeon: 40 or 50 depending on location

Krungsri: 30 notes.

most others are 20 notes only

Thai ATMs can only dispense 20 notes per transaction = 20,000 baht (or in case machine only has 500 baht notes left = 10,000 baht). You can repeat to the daily limit of your card.

There must be something I'm doing wrong, I get charged 150 every time I use AEON ATM machine. This has been true in the past and after reading this thread I tried it again last week at both the AEON ATMs at Siam TV and Tesco, it still charged me 150 baht.

Could this be because I'm using my American ATM card from BoA and they just charge Americans the 150 baht?

I just used my Credit Union Debit card at the Aeon ATM at Big C Extra. No fee charge when I withdrew baht. BUT, when I got home and checked my CU account, I was hit with 2 charges from Aeon. One was $2.00 and the other was $7.93. Now they are a little cheaper. My CU account gets hit with a $2.00 and a $8.00 fee when I use the same card at a Bangkok Bank ATM, which I have a sizable account with. So where did the FREE come from.

There must be something I'm doing wrong, I get charged 150 every time I use AEON ATM machine. This has been true in the past and after reading this thread I tried it again last week at both the AEON ATMs at Siam TV and Tesco, it still charged me 150 baht.

Could this be because I'm using my American ATM card from BoA and they just charge Americans the 150 baht?

I just used my Credit Union Debit card at the Aeon ATM at Big C Extra. No fee charge when I withdrew baht. BUT, when I got home and checked my CU account, I was hit with 2 charges from Aeon. One was $2.00 and the other was $7.93. Now they are a little cheaper. My CU account gets hit with a $2.00 and a $8.00 fee when I use the same card at a Bangkok Bank ATM, which I have a sizable account with. So where did the FREE come from.

Are you sure it is AEON charging? I think the $7.93 is probably currency conversion fee charged by the card brand and passed on to you by your credit union. The $2.00 is probably charge by your own credit union. It would be strange for AEON to be able to charge an exact dollar amount.

Check with your credit union for the card disclosures. It should spell out the charges. Also, there may be information online if your credit union has a web site.

The 150 baht foreign card fee at Thai ATM's is for Thai banks.... which AEON is not, I believe.

MSPain

update:

Bangkok Bank ATMs: 25 notes

Aeon: 40 or 50 depending on location

Krungsri: 30 notes.

most others are 20 notes only

Thanks for that. Useful information. I use SCB and Kasikorn cards so I am stuck with 20 notes.

Aeon does not normally charge a fee. It is your CU,your bank, or whoever else is involved in the transaction that is charging you fees. Seems to be the Americans who are having all these charging problems.

You guys in CNX are lucky back in the states there is a $3 transaction fee across the board.

Whether your withdrawing from a savings or checking account, PLUS or CIRRUS may also be a factor for getting charged.

What are you talking about?? I used 4 different cards when I was recently in the US and was never charged a fee. Of course, I was using cards issued by US banks, just as I am never charged a fee when I use my Bangkok Bank card at one of their branches.

As for Aeon fees, as I mentioned earlier, I was in Airport Plaza on saturday and, amazingly, the machine was working and there was no line at all. They will let you w/d at least 25,000 baht and there was no fee when using a US issued ATM card. I just checked my account.

What are you talking about?? I used 4 different cards when I was recently in the US and was never charged a fee. Of course, I was using cards issued by US banks, just as I am never charged a fee when I use my Bangkok Bank card at one of their branches.

As for Aeon fees, as I mentioned earlier, I was in Airport Plaza on saturday and, amazingly, the machine was working and there was no line at all. They will let you w/d at least 25,000 baht and there was no fee when using a US issued ATM card. I just checked my account.

As mentioned above, no problem withdrawing 50,000 THB at AEON Kamthieng with Maestro Card.

It is; it doesn't charge the fee. I also asked for an update on Aeon ATMs, think it's still the usual. (Both Tesco stores, Big C Hang Dong, Siam TV, and EITHER Big C Extra or Big C Don Chan; no clue which as I couldn't find it.

Does anyone know which Big C has the ATM, and then WHERE in that building it is located? (Also for Tesco please, where is the thing.. It's remarkably hard to find a single ATM in a huge store..)

It is; it doesn't charge the fee. I also asked for an update on Aeon ATMs, think it's still the usual. (Both Tesco stores, Big C Hang Dong, Siam TV, and EITHER Big C Extra or Big C Don Chan; no clue which as I couldn't find it.

Does anyone know which Big C has the ATM, and then WHERE in that building it is located? (Also for Tesco please, where is the thing.. It's remarkably hard to find a single ATM in a huge store..)

both Big C on the Hang Dong Rd. have AEON ATM's. Near the runway location the ATM is at the end of the lower floor near the Hang Dong Road exit from the building. The Big C in Hang Dong/Sanpatong the ATM is on the opposite side of the book store where the escalator going up to the Big C store. That is as of Sunday, July 15.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

The Tesco in Hang Dong has an AEON branch. Its on the first strip when entering the building. Near the bangkok bank and Thanachart bank

Big C Extra on the Superhighway has one on the ground floor, close to the back entrance (stalls selling crockery along walkway to entrance).

Siam TV one is upstairs, near Bangkok Bank. Don't know where any others are.

The question seems to be not whether a fee is charged, but if it shows up on the ATM receipt. Not having used the Aeon machine before, this past week I went to the one at Big C Extra and made a 7000 baht withdrawal. No warning of a fee, and no fee printed on the receipt. I went home and looked up my account online, and found a US$4.21 fee associated with the transaction. Granted, the exchange rate given by Aeon was better by .5 baht over what Bangkok Bank gives, but just because the fees aren't printed on the receipt or warned of on the screen, don't make the mistake of thinking there are no fees. The banks will get you both coming and going, and if they could - and they may - they would just as well make your money theirs. There is nothing honest or generous about them, any of them.

The question seems to be not whether a fee is charged, but if it shows up on the ATM receipt. Not having used the Aeon machine before, this past week I went to the one at Big C Extra and made a 7000 baht withdrawal. No warning of a fee, and no fee printed on the receipt. I went home and looked up my account online, and found a US$4.21 fee associated with the transaction. Granted, the exchange rate given by Aeon was better by .5 baht over what Bangkok Bank gives, but just because the fees aren't printed on the receipt or warned of on the screen, don't make the mistake of thinking there are no fees. The banks will get you both coming and going, and if they could - and they may - they would just as well make your money theirs. There is nothing honest or generous about them, any of them.

In most instances when using a foreign issued card in an ATM in Thailand the transaction to the card issuing bank is whatever cash is involved plus 150 baht. So if someone received 5,000 baht in notes, the transaction to their bank would be for 5,150 baht. The 150 baht fee must be shown before the transaction is accepted by the person punching the ATM keys.

$4.21 against 150 baht is more than 35 baht per dollar today.. I don't think that it what it is.

how much was the currency conversion fee associated with the transaction?

The exchange rate is not given by Bangkok Bank if you use, for example, a visa card.. The exchange rate is what the card issuing institution gives you.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

There has always been an additional unexplained CHF 4,60-5,00 charge (appx. 150 THB) associated with my Maestro Card withdrawals from AEON. I know people with USA bank cards have figured it to the penny but it appears there is a fee with European bank card withdrawals.

I would agree that these places are in the business of making money and there would be no point in offering a service for free. In the years I have been here I have not made a withdrawal using a card from a USA bank so I can not personally say one way or another if they are charging a fee on US bank related transactions but have no reason to doubt the many members who claim not.

This is the reply I got from Visa Corporate USA. I think other branded cards and Europe would have the same types of agreements.

I have also, in the past, found information, in English, on the internet from the Thai Bankers Association explaining the 150 baht fee.

MSPain

Thank you for contacting Visa.

For more information about exchange rates, including currency conversions, we invite you to visit the Exchange Rate section of the Visa Corporate web site at the following address: http://corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_services/consumer_ex_rates.jsp

For specific information regarding how the exchange rate is applied to your account, please contact the financial institution that issued your Visa card.

In addition to the above, each bank sets its own ATM fees and limits. Fees or transaction limits would be located on the ATM screen before completion of your transaction. You can also inquire inside of the bank regarding any ATM limitations or fees.

To locate the nearest ATMs near where you will be traveling, we suggest that you use our ATM locator. For your convenience, we have provided the link:

http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/global/jsp/SearchPage.jsp

Any additional limitations or fees charged by the bank which issued your Visa card should be indicated in your cardholder agreement/contract with your bank. For additional information or to request a PIN code, please contact the financial institution that issued your Visa card using the address or telephone number on the Visa statement to inquire further. This number may also appear on the back of the card. The financial institution can directly address your inquiry.

We hope this information proves helpful.

Thank you for writing.

Visa Webmaster

For the Tesco Lotus near the super highway, north of the old city, go straight back about half the length of the hallway that runs from east to west on the ground floor (the wing that doesn't have the KFC and Black Canyon). There is an Aeon Bank branch on the right with two ATM's. For two or three days around the end of one month and the beginning of the next there are sometimes long, slow moving lines of Thai people using these ATM's to pay bills.