Five Year Licence Renewal

Wellington

After spending most of this morning assembling required paperwork, Doctor's Certificate,Blue Book from our solicitor, proof of address from

a packed Immigration and passport copies blah blah blah, we went to the Driving Centre about 1.30.

We came up against a non co-operating Thai lady, who said we HAD to come again,but before 9.0am.

Is there any logic or legitimacy for this "Rule"?

Very hard for us to get there before mid morning, and we had no such obstruction 5 yrs .ago.

I might be wrong but I think you now have to watch the 'How to drive in Thailand' video which is only shown at certain times.

You're right.

And, when I watched it, I was amazed that flashing your headlights to the car in front when you're overtaking is the correct way to do it!! In Thailand, that is.

I might be wrong but I think you now have to watch the 'How to drive in Thailand' video which is only shown at certain times.

You're right.

And, when I watched it, I was amazed that flashing your headlights to the car in front when you're overtaking is the correct way to do it!! In Thailand, that is.

All this time I thought the flashing lights meant "get out of my way" made by dangerous drivers to the oncoming traffic. The normal scenario, when someone wants to overtake, is to tailgate

Edited by Valentine

From what I recall, the video was in Thai. Not sure, because I couldn't see the screen or get into the room due to the crowd. Just stood in the corridor and waited my turn to do the reaction and colour tests.

From what I recall, the video was in Thai. Not sure, because I couldn't see the screen or get into the room due to the crowd. Just stood in the corridor and waited my turn to do the reaction and colour tests.

Ping, you must have gone to the wrong video room. There is another room showing the video in English. Usually not many people there, in my case only 2 of us.

Ping, you must have gone to the wrong video room. There is another room showing the video in English. Usually not many people there, in my case only 2 of us.

Are we entertained ,or is it a joke a minute,like the Thai way of parking.!

Are we entertained ,or is it a joke a minute,like the Thai way of parking.!

You'll be able to tell us next week.

You're right.

All this time I thought the flashing lights meant "get out of my way" made by dangerous drivers to the oncoming traffic. The normal scenario, when someone wants to overtake, is to tailgate

Grt movie which i enjoyed throroughly. Couldn't help but notice many farangs sitting for a minute before walking out though so not sure if it's mandatory to actually view from start to finish, but certainly worth the trip down to Phuket Town. Ha

And all this time I also thought flashing your lights meant move over.

Sorry, forgot to add some detail about the pre-9am appearance time. It's not to do with viewing the movie because from memory it just keeps playing all day on a loop. So I think the pre-9am start requirement is due to the admin staff wanting to physically see how many applications will need to be processed for the day ahead.

Thanks - I'll look around a bit more next time. I wouldn't mind actually seeing it, in English (though it's probably on Youtube).

Sorry, forgot to add some detail about the pre-9am appearance time. It's not to do with viewing the movie because from memory it just keeps playing all day on a loop. So I think the pre-9am start requirement is due to the admin staff wanting to physically see how many applications will need to be processed for the day ahead.

What ever the reason is, they definitely ask you to come back the next morning to watch the video.

When I did my last renewal, there was one guy who came in after 11:00 and then only watched to the end.

Timings are geared up to 'new' drivers who then have to do the computer multiple choice 'exam' then, if they passed, moving on to the circuit 'driving test' in the afternoon.

So it's the 'reaction' and 'eyesight' tests first, then the 'safety video', then you get your new five year; or else if you are a 'new driver' you then go on to do the mutiple choice 'exam' then the 'driving test' itself.

I got my five year license about 6 weeks ago. I went after lunch and was in and out in 45 mins. I had to do the eye and reaction tests, but no video. Maybe I was just lucky.

Edited by kirmizi

I got my five year license about 6 weeks ago. I went after lunch and was in and out in 45 mins. I had to do the eye and reaction tests, but no video. Maybe I was just lucky.

Who knows - I did the same thing 2 months ago and was told to come back the next morning....... Edited by digitalchromakey

Quick question.

If you already have a five year license, but, need to re-new it, do you still have to have a Non-Immigrant visa?

You still need the Certificate of Residency from Immigration. Depends on there interpretation of the rules. Should be no problem with a Tourist Visa, but Visa On Arrival might be frowned on.

There are two rooms but when I went the Engrit room was packed.. good as it is very cold in the room. Now, there are section dealng with subtopics etc. The one on traffic circles happen to amuse me. If you followed the instructions to the letter you may spend a life time at HaYeK!

Empty Room, except for the Chang!

Quick question.

If you already have a five year license, but, need to re-new it, do you still have to have a Non-Immigrant visa?

You still need the Certificate of Residency from Immigration. Depends on there interpretation of the rules. Should be no problem with a Tourist Visa, but Visa On Arrival might be frowned on.

A work permit will also suffice instead of certificate of residency right?