Why Do I See So Many Expensive Cars In Chiang Mai ?

IEMDavid

This is a patently absurd explanation on so many levels.

> Firstly, there are more motorcycles on the road than cars. If Thais are so concerned about "face" over all else, it would seem that very few would have motorcycles, but rather go "deep into debt" (as you say) to secure a car. Not happening.

Everything is relative. I am talking about those between the relatively wealthy (top 10%?) and the above subsistence-peasant/minimum-wage-if-they're-lucky majority.

Literally speaking, "most Thais" are dirt poor by our standards and of those many (perhaps the majority within that group) would never dare to entertain the pipe-dream of purchasing a car that would cost many times more than the value of their home and land combined - if they indeed own such. The only peasant families with four-wheeled vehicles that I know use them primarily for business, and those that I know working their way up in the middle class (all 2+ income families) purchased a **new** vehicle far beyond their means (IMO) on credit, and will be lucky to have it fully paid off in ten years.

> And most cars that I see on the road are predominantly Japanese, and not nearly all new.

If they're not nearly new they are usually maintained to appear so as much as possible. You see very few beaters as you would in the US. Australia also, but there I think more due to stringently enforced roadworthy inspection laws.

> Unless you're suggesting that car owners in the west have "face" issues also? That, I would agree with.

Some do, but most of my friends and acquantainces would consider blantantly trying to "keep up with the Joneses" as a shallow and empty waste of the short life we're given here. My perception is that Thais are **much** more emotionally committed to maintaining external appearances, even at the expense of practical realities than I've ever seen in the west. No absolutes of course, but I still think a valid generalization.

My elderly mum grew up in Germany, and she reckons that it used to be like that too, but that the more recent generations aren't as fussed about it, focused more on genuine quality of life issues rather than status consumption.

Another example - I don't know of any objective measurements of true product/service quality used by Thais shopping for say an English language tutoring school. The most important things to establish a good reputation here in most such businesses here are to have impressive office space and good-looking staff. There wouldn't be enough demand for an organization such as Consumer Reports here, or if it existed it would make a lot more money from blackmail/bribes income from the target companies than it would from trusting consumers.

Citizens here would expect the government to provide such a service, and we all know how that would end up 8-)

You see this in the USA as well...... An Escalade sitting in the driveway of a Mobile home.... (aka Trailer Park)

Also people who become fully homeless but manage to hang on to the car and live out of it for a while. Of course these days only smaller people can do so comfortably, used to be a whole family with even a tall man could sleep in a "normal" sized American car relatively comfortably.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a soi off Moon Muang this weekend, looking a trifle out of place, was parked a very new looking Bentley Continental GT. A brave owner to park a car like that in a narrow soi.

To the mundane, I live opposite a Thai apartment block, single room apartments with a rent of about 3000 baht a month, that is propably a pretty fair example of one level of Thai society. Several of the tennants have large, black, four door, four wheel drive pick-ups the cost of which would buy quite a nice home. Other tenants also have fairly new sedans whilst many more have the ubiquitous scooter. Each to his own.

Some of the same member(s) were again bashing the Thais in the recently locked 'big hogs' thread. My observation is that many of the Thais in C.M. can afford a lot more than some of the farangs here; especially some of the recent poor, white, trailer-trash arrivals. I suspect a lot of the bashing going on is based on jealousy.

I agree with you, 100%. I spoke to a young farang colleague once who couldn't afford a car. He was wondering how these Thai could, suggesting that they couldn't possibly based on "his" knowledge of their wages. So he concluded, as some here have, that they (the Thais) must have gone deep into debt for status reasons. Which, of course, is a ridiculous suggestion. He was simply jealous.

• Like 1

Some of the same member(s) were again bashing the Thais in the recently locked 'big hogs' thread. My observation is that many of the Thais in C.M. can afford a lot more than some of the farangs here; especially some of the recent poor, white, trailer-trash arrivals. I suspect a lot of the bashing going on is based on jealousy.

As I said 'each to his own'. If someone chooses to drive an expensive vehicle and live in a one room apartment, good luck to them. I've seen plenty of falang driving flashy cars and living in council, or government, accomodation.

Some do, but most of my friends and acquantainces would consider blantantly trying to "keep up with the Joneses" as a shallow and empty waste of the short life we're given here. My perception is that Thais are **much** more emotionally committed to maintaining external appearances, even at the expense of practical realities than I've ever seen in the west. No absolutes of course, but I still think a valid generalization.

I agree that the concept of trying to "keep up with the Joneses" is pointless. But I don't agree that the Thais are doing this. Just because you see someone with a nice car doesn't automatically mean that they're trying to "keep up with the Joneses." Do you assume the same thing when you see someone with a nice car back in your homeland? How about working hard all your life to be able to have the nicer things in life? Elektrified hit the nail on the head--it's clearly jealousy that some farangs have of these "uppity Thais." My observations are that generally speaking, Thais will drive a car that they can afford. If it's a top-end Mercedes, BMW, or whatever, it's because they can afford it....generally. Exactly the same in the west.

I agree that the concept of trying to "keep up with the Joneses" is pointless. But I don't agree that the Thais are doing this. Just because you see someone with a nice car doesn't automatically mean that they're trying to "keep up with the Joneses." Do you assume the same thing when you see someone with a nice car back in your homeland? How about working hard all your life to be able to have the nicer things in life? Elektrified hit the nail on the head--it's clearly jealousy that some farangs have of these "uppity Thais." My observations are that generally speaking, Thais will drive a car that they can afford. If it's a top-end Mercedes, BMW, or whatever, it's because they can afford it....generally. Exactly the same in the west.

My wife says,that in Thai mooban,if your neighbor buys a new car,you have to go and buy better...and about that statement "it's because they can afford it" I don't think they all can actually afford it...that's why the auctions here are so full of repo cars smile.png ...it's all image...

I recall dimly after WWII that finance companies (in the U.S.) advertised widely on radio (and later on TV) with jingles - little catchy songs. People financed refrigerators and everything else that had been denied during the war, including those TV's when they arrived.

I live in a community where I lease a house. Realtor calls it 'middle class.' Everybody here is driving Corollas or the Nissan or Mitsubishi equivalents and so forth, and few do not make a v. good appearance. There are some work-related trucks and a few Fortuners and probably 10-20 new micro-models. It may not be 'keeping up with the Joneses, but it's about as close as that phenomenon can get (TV's in the evening glow from the windows when you walk yer dog, the bigger the better, TV;s not dogs). Virtually nobody has a spirit house.

All I can see is a gradual evolution of a society in the direction of the West, for better or for worse. And I think that both recent governments have tried to show the world a good face for investment (even more than tourism), which might well continue an urbanization that carries with it, one hopes, a higher standard of living, including greater educational opportunities etc.

Abraham Lincoln once said that by and large, a man is about as happy as he wants to be. Here in CM, we have about as many BIG cars as we ought to have, no more, no less.

My wife says,that in Thai mooban,if your neighbor buys a new car,you have to go and buy better...and about that statement "it's because they can afford it" I don't think they all can actually afford it...that's why the auctions here are so full of repo cars smile.png ...it's all image...

Actually, you touched on something that I've noticed frequently. If there is one group of Thais who are infinitely more status-conscious than the average Thai, it's the Thai women married to farangs. Your wife presents a good case.

Actually, you touched on something that I've noticed frequently. If there is one group of Thais who are infinitely more status-conscious than the average Thai, it's the Thai women married to farangs. Your wife presents a good case.

Her statement has nothing to do with "Thai women married to farangs"...it was about Thai society in general...

Her statement has nothing to do with "Thai women married to farangs"...it was about Thai society in general...

My point is that this comment is coming from someone who may be more status-conscious than the average Thai. So her views about Thai society are from that perspective. Again, just my observation.

My point is that this comment is coming from someone who may be more status-conscious than the average Thai. So her views about Thai society are from that perspective. Again, just my observation.

...whatever...

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, Lampang plate. Interesting.

And it's an Audi R8 by the way, not A8. They go for 12 million baht or so. There is a Western resident of Chiang Mai who owns one, though if I recall correctly that one is on Chiang Mai plates (not sure though)

http://en.wikipedia...._%28road_car%29

Maybe this is why ?? http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Overseas-students-abusing-rights-30174523.html

Oh my. I have never seen so many dubious statements as compressed into the first page of this thread.

"Most BKK people are rich and they compete each other via using expensive cars."

"The middle class is practically non-existent anymore."

"(90% of all Thais) poor and happy"

Fact is that the middle class has been growing, some would say emerging, during the past two decades while inequality between the small upper class and large working class has remained and the overall per capita income has continuiously risen. This can be backed up by data. One could hold, that despite the new middle-class, inequality has grown in Thailand during the past decades, and this can again be backed up by looking at the Gini index.

Never mind the details. Luxury cars in a place where many people cannot even pay for proper health care show that something is wrong with society, whether that is in the US, or in Thailand.

I don't know what the current quotient is, but a few years ago the average household income in Chiang Mai was half that of Bangkok. No surprise that many of these Mercedes are Bangkokian. Given the local people's craving to impress each other, I would guess that luxury cars sell even better in Chiang Mai than in Bangkok, if people had the same incomes as Bangkokians.

Cheers, CMExpat