Four Dead, Five Injured As Pickup Truck Slams Into Phuket Tourist Van

Lite Beer

Four dead, five injured as pickup truck slams into Phuket tourist van

Phuket Gazette –

phuket-1-12486sYPGZriDqdcWAXkkDrJkLPOIja.jpg

The van full of tourists was heading to Phuket when the accident occurred. Photo: Warisa Temram

phuket-4-12486AQALWOecgVMfmbmuoxEJANiPdH.jpg

The five Phuket tourists injured were rushed to Tai Muang Hospital. Photo: Warisa Temram

PHUKET: Four tourists are dead and five injured after a pickup truck loaded with fish and a van filled with tourists heading for Phuket collided in Tai Muang, Phang Nga, yesterday evening.

Tai Muang Police received a report of the accident, on the Mae Yey Bridge on Petchkasem Road between Tai Muang and Takuapa Moo 1 in Thung Maphrao, Tai Muang District, at 5:30pm

At the scene, officers found a white van registered in Trang province with the right side of the van heavily damaged from the driver’s door to the end of the van.

Emergency rescue first-responders from the Pu In Foundation as well as rescue workers from Khao Lak and Takuapa rushed to free the tourists trapped inside.

Four of the tourists were dead. Another five were injured, all of whom were rushed to Tai Muang Hospital for treatment.

About 100 meters down the road was a Phuket-registered pickup truck lying on its side with its cargo of fish strewn over the road.

Police identified the driver of the truck as Chamnan Dabgaew, a 26-year-old resident of Rassada subdistrict, in Phuket.

He did not flee the scene.

“The driver of the pickup was driving toward Takuapa. He lost control on the curve and crossed into the oncoming lane and hit the tourist van heading toward Phuket,” said Lt Col Songwut Khunjan of Tai Muang Police.

Police charged Mr Chamnan with negligent driving causing death.

However, the driver of the tourist van did flee the scene, said police.

“We have yet to confirm his identify. We are now looking for the driver in order to question him and determine the true cause of the accident,” said Lt Col Songwut.

Police identified the tourists who died in the accident as: Mrs Krinicina Jaliya, 29, from Russia; Mrs Nergiz Tinc, 26, of as-yet unknown nationality; and Mr Alexanden, 37, and Mrs Melhichender, 47, both of as-yet unknown family name and nationality.

The five tourists rushed to Tai Muang Hospital were named as: Mr Serkan Tinc, 33, from Turkey; Mrs Lubeznaya Galina, 56, from Ukraine; Mrs Medvedeva Nadeina, 59, from Ukraine; Miss Luzina Svetlanarut, 28 from Russia; and Mrs Sepdakor Alexandarus, 54, of as-yet unknown nationality.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article12486.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-03-04

Another very sad story but one that people who live here are becoming sadly immune to as there is so much carnage on the roads.

I dropped a friend off at the airport this morning and from Thalang to the airport I was continually being pushed by these moron Mini bus drivers with one of them passing me on the outer lane and one of them passing me in the motorbike lane.It's about time they had some proper training and not only watching that comedy how to drive in Thailand movie

R.I.P

I believe Phuket is number one in the list of 'die on holiday places' in the world in the UK.

I find it hard to believe the van wasn't at fault either.

Deepest sympathy to all.

Except the driver.

I ALWAYS take the slower, safer big bus. Anyone in Thailand reading this, i would strongly suggest you do the same.

Edited by justaphase
  • Like 1

So the pick-up driver stayed and the minibus driver fled. Mmmm ... who do you think was at fault ???

RIP to the dead. Another blight on Phuket's tourism industry.

the report said that the pick up driver crossed into the on coming lane.

Edited by Scott
formatting

The 'other channel' for local news reported this incident, with photos, about 15 hours before PG got it's act together. That aside, not without irony that the 'guilty party' chose to stay, and the driver of the tour bus did the ethical Thai thing (i.e., run away). Again from the 'other channel', I believe that brings the total number of fatalities in this particular small area just north of Phuket, to 14 in just the past month (and many more casualties, some very serious also). Questions at the very highest level would be asked, nay demanded, in most places in the world.

So the pick-up driver stayed and the minibus driver fled. Mmmm ... who do you think was at fault ???

RIP to the dead. Another blight on Phuket's tourism industry.

the report said that the pick up driver crossed into the oncomming lane.

Maybe the pickup driver was badly injured and was not physically able to"flee the scene". ! Edited by Colin Yai
  • Like 1

The 'other channel' for local news reported this incident, with photos, about 15 hours before PG got it's act together. That aside, not without irony that the 'guilty party' chose to stay, and the driver of the tour bus did the ethical Thai thing (i.e., run away). Again from the 'other channel', I believe that brings the total number of fatalities in this particular small area just north of Phuket, to 14 in just the past month (and many more casualties, some very serious also). Questions at the very highest level would be asked, nay demanded, in most places in the world.

the mini bus driver fled the scene , but handed himself into a local police station ...

but all these crashes need to stop, there is just so many now !!!!, and 99% i believe are down to just bad driving !!

Edited by Scott
formatting

I believe Phuket is number one in the list of 'die on holiday places' in the world in the UK.

Deepest sympathy to all.

Except the driver.

I ALWAYS take the slower, safer big bus. Anyone in Thailand reading this, i would strongly suggest you do the same.

I refuse to ride in a van or a bus. Had three buses apparently racing (no other words describe it) between thalang and the airport yesterday. Fist one was about 5 feet from my bumper flashing his lights,etc. There were about a dozen cars lined up just ahead of us. These three buses basically just rudely intimidated everyone out of their way and gained about 15 seconds on their trip time.

coffee1.gif I have no idea how this accident actually occured....but IF as it was stated the pickup truck lost control and crossed into the other lane on a curve....it's at least theoretically possible that he took the curve to quickly, the load of fish he had in his pickup shifted, and that make him lose control. But that's just conjecture.

Regarding the van however...you can be sure the driver of the van was not the owner of the van. The van owners usually hire drivers at:

the lowest possible cost

only minimum training and driving knowledge

work their drivers long hours and often pay them by the trip. Therefore the drivers who speed make more trips...and get paid more.

All those things lead to poor and reckless drivers causing accidents.

To be fair I DON'T know if this was the case in this accident.

But, however, the solution for all those problems would be to make the van OWNERS not the drivers or the van company, but the owners responsible for compensation to the families of passengers...or for hospital costs if the passengers survive.

But that will never happen....because the van owners have money...and in Thailand that money buys privaledges that allow any rules to be ignored.

And this is not "Thai bashing", just a statement of what I personally know to be true (my Thai wife's youngest son drives a Song Thew).

licklips.gif

• Like 1

No difference really. sad.png

I agree they can all be as risky as the next,i have not and never will use a minivan in Thailand,I have however travelled extensively on the blue and white government busses and fortunately have never been involved in an a accident,I've experienced many shocking journeys though.

My only advice is if you do have to use the larger buses is to never travel at night for obvious reasons,try to avoid the front and back and to if possible over longer journeys split the journey and stay overnight in a hotel.

Most accidents where ever in the world are driver error, in LOS there seems to be an excessive number of holiday makers losing their lives, so l think warnings in any farang land should be given about the high risk factor in LOS cos on the whole they are not being taken care of by professionals.

• Like 1

Deepest sympathy to all.

Except the driver.

I refuse to ride in a van or a bus. Had three buses apparently racing (no other words describe it) between thalang and the airport yesterday. Fist one was about 5 feet from my bumper flashing his lights,etc. There were about a dozen cars lined up just ahead of us. These three buses basically just rudely intimidated everyone out of their way and gained about 15 seconds on their trip time.

Do what I do - carefully observe the speed limit the more they flash their lights.

• Like 1

it's a sad year for tourists in thailand, so how many already died this last months ?

Don't know how many, but for some reason the number seems to have gone up significantly. And for no reason that springs to mind.

[...Mrs Nergiz Tinc, 26, of as-yet unknown nationality...]

[...Mr Serkan Tinc, 33, from Turkey...]

do we need Kojak or Columbo for that case?

You sure Turks never marry foreigners?

Edited by impulse

That brings the death toll this year in Phuket to how many?

Yes, I must admit it's becoming quite a talking point here. Quite a number of road deaths these past few weeks. It will be interesting to see how TAT spins the numbers.

There was a report here on TV a few days ago with the number. I want to say it's 44 deaths, not including these 5, in the last 30 days.

Totally insane.

However, the driver of the tourist van did flee the scene, said police.

“We have yet to confirm his identify. We are now looking for the driver in order to question him and determine the true cause of the accident,” said Lt Col Songwut.

coffee1.gif

First things first, let's start with a proper driving/riding test, that would cut the death toll by 90% seeing as only a few would pass.

Proper control of the vehicles on the road by the BIB in as much as they do very little else so the trucks/tour buses overloaded then the driver gets done for that and should be done for invalid insurance, {if in fact he/she ever had it }.

Road worthiness of said vehicles, that's a laugh in itself.

Vehicles driving/riding against the traffic on all roads but especially on dual carriageways.

Oh sod it, I give up the list is endless, like corruption it is part of the wonderful Thai culture.

[...Mrs Nergiz Tinc, 26, of as-yet unknown nationality...]

[...Mr Serkan Tinc, 33, from Turkey...]

do we need Kojak or Columbo for that case?

Absolutely stellar reporting -- I am amazed at the detail and accuracy of the reporting !

Who would think that Mr and Mrs Tinc travelling in the same minivan, would both be from Turkey.

" of as-yet unknown family name and nationality" -- a case for Colombo indeed -- how can you determine a person's, age, first name and marital status, and not accidentally stumble over their family name and nationality.

"Mrs Lubeznaya Galina, 56, from Ukraine" -- Kojak would know that Galina is a first name and Lubeznaya is a family name .

..but really, should all of these names be in print before relatives have been notified ?

Edited by tigermonkey