2012 All Food Related.Restaurants,Recipes, Suggestions Etc... Best Pizza, Hamburger,Thai Food, Seafood,European Food.......

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got some nice hot sausage rolls from angela's. Beautiful cottage & shepherd pies.

Oh I forgot picked up the last of the crumpets.

Come on Rooo - give the rest of us a chance - or we will all come to your place for crumpets and Pimms #1

More then welcome.

Tried the new Riks at the old Secret Garden in Bangrak last night.

Good scoff - he is back on form. 3 happy chappies had 3 different meals - all good, with good service. The meatballs never disappoint and the lamb stew was good. The guy eating the chicken was finished in record time. We did not have any room left for a desert. Next time - starter and pudding - forget the main.

Back on the recommend list. Nice atmosphere as well.

(No contest really - meal on the beach or a meal on the ghost road (cough!)

Well done

• Like 1

I like the 24 hr place opposite the ring road turn off for Fisherman's village....especially for fish and seafood. smile.png

I have heard good reports about the place as well - from friends and customers. It's just such a long way from Plai Laem. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Tropicalevo

I like the 24 hr place opposite the ring road turn off for Fisherman's village....especially for fish and seafood. smile.png

I have heard good reports about the place as well - from friends and customers. It's just such a long way from Plai Laem. thumbsup.gif

The reports are true....good prices as well.

Best Indian food in Lamai goes too..... India Live now moved close to the lady boxing area just another 50m up the one way system. They have an offer on at the moment Chicken tika Marsala, Plain rice, poppadom, garlic nan and a beer for just 220 and it was delicious. So delicious I thought I would share it with you lot.

Going Saturday and I may even eat there. Normally just get take out of whatever I fancy and eat at a friends house/bar/restaurant as I can't see they point of not sitting where you want if you don't have to.

I had cravings for some fresh Focaccia, so time to bake. There are tons of recipes on the internet but most of them use 500 grams, 300 grams or some other large amount of flour. I usually use 50 to 100 grams. This bread was 100 grams, which was plenty for me. The one thing to remember is the water ratio. From what I have read you can use between 80 and 90 grams of water for every 100 grams of flour. You will need to experiment to find out what works best for you. In this case, I used 84 grams of water.

The end result was not bad. The red flecks are chili powder. I wanted something extra in the bread.

post-38575-0-25075400-1350653629_thumb.j

• Like 1

With all these recipes and all this baking going on, sounds like we should get a bake off going here sometime soon.... biggrin.png

I have to admit, occasionally I buy Duncan Hines cake mix (no comments please!!!) ....to feed my sweet tooth! wink.png

Let's see we have Crumpets, Naan bread, ..... anyone into Scones? ... I think I tried that once, but they were like hockey pucks! rolleyes.gif

Best Indian food in Lamai goes too..... India Live now moved close to the lady boxing area just another 50m up the one way system. They have an offer on at the moment Chicken tika Marsala, Plain rice, poppadom, garlic nan and a beer for just 220 and it was delicious. So delicious I thought I would share it with you lot.

Going Saturday and I may even eat there. Normally just get take out of whatever I fancy and eat at a friends house/bar/restaurant as I can't see they point of not sitting where you want if you don't have to.

Got there at 7 with 2 friends, no empty tables so had to wait 5 minutes. 3 papadoms on the table within minutes along with a small serving of what I presume was chilli yogurt which I really liked and a small serving of what I presume was the chilli ketchup you see everywhere. Not a bad start though if I didn't like the chilli yogurt it would have been poor.

We ordered a couple of starters while we went through the extensive menu of chicken pakora and veg samosas. Received 2 reasonable sized samosas on a bed of shredded red and white cabbage and 7/8 pieces of chicken also on a bed of cabbage. All agreed both were nice though I added a little salt to the pakora.

For main we had fish jalfrezi (not on the menu but just ordered it and no problem), mutton rogan josh which was NZ lamb rather than mutton which is a shame and tandoorii tkka prawn.

Fish jalfrezi. Heaps of fish in it and the flavour was wonderful. However, it was very tame with regard to heat and it lacked texture because the peppers, tomato and onion had been blended to a pulp. Flavour was correct in any case.

Mutton rogan josh. Again, lacking in any heat but good taste even though it would have been much better with mutton.

Tandoori tikka prawn. There were only around 10 pieces as I remember which given it was 290 Baht was not so good. But, they were very very nice.

Unless you want biryani then the only 2 rice options are plain or pilau. We all took pilau, it was nice but fried for some reason and also contained some peas. I found out later from the manager that I could have ordered jerra rice which I guess would be done by roasting cumin seeds, adding oil then frying the rice. Not how it should be made but it would work.

Vegetarian dishes go from 100 to about 200 Baht while non vegetarian go from around 150 to 300ish.

Service was faultless and 10% discount for Samui residents. On the whole the food was good but I know it's better at Royal Tandoori down the road.

Muffins half ok, will try again.

Crumpets? Perfect.

Did you really eat all of them?! clap2.gif

He's supposed to be bring samples to the party.... Guess I had better bring Marmite.... that Aussie Vegemite stuff not up to snuff !!! bah.gifbiggrin.png

Joking aside,wink.png those look much more like the Crumpets I remember in UK, the other looks more like "English Muffins" .... interesting if you Google crumpets see see pics of both.... blink.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just got some nice hot sausage rolls from angela's. Beautiful cottage & shepherd pies.

Oh I forgot picked up the last of the crumpets.

I finally managed to get off my buttt and over to Angelas. I fully agree with you Rooo - I bought a whole host of stuff including some crumpets.

Angelas crumpets are very good and well worth a try. licklips.gif

Cottage pie tasting session at the weekend!

• 3 weeks later...

Virt....just go to The Shack in Fisherman's Village. Best steaks on the island. No need for the palaver of cooking it yourself....almost always done to perfection.

agree 110%, and if they havent cooked it right, you can always send it back !

and if you are lucky larry will drink half your botlle of wine.

i love the shack

Now we're looking for a good steak place on Samui. Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Best steak on the island - Larry's Shack in Bophut (FV). Not cheap - but very good.

It can get very busy when there are tourists around.

Enter FV from the archway coming from the traffic lights. Turn left at the pier. Carry on SLOWLY through the village and near the end on the left. If you see Billabong surf club on the right - you have missed it. (There is also a good Mexican place in the village)

unless one of them has moved, the shack is another 20 meters after billabong on the opposite side

Tried the new Riks at the old Secret Garden in Bangrak last night.

Good scoff - he is back on form. 3 happy chappies had 3 different meals - all good, with good service. The meatballs never disappoint and the lamb stew was good. The guy eating the chicken was finished in record time. We did not have any room left for a desert. Next time - starter and pudding - forget the main.

Back on the recommend list. Nice atmosphere as well.

(No contest really - meal on the beach or a meal on the ghost road (cough!)

Well done

Have to agree, Family Sketcher eat in there regularly now, great food, great service, great location and discount for local regulars. Homemade pate as a starter is amazing!!!