Deepest Apologies

Nignoy

well sorry guys wont be able to make it to the reunion,everything was booked , but last saturday night I was assaulted , resulting in a couple of cracked ribs and a damaged pacemaker, had surgery monday but sadly not allowed to travel for at least a month, was looking forward to meeting you guys again ,having the odd sherbet or too ,was looking forward to giving you all photo,s of jims and taxis graves, any expats in the Ubon , Amnat area dont panic at the sudden influx of old geezers ,its just a few old fossils come to relive old isaan memories,when brits were gods and yanks were just someone to kick the crap out of once a month when we got into town, Lest we Forget :o Nignoy

last saturday night I was assaulted ......its just a few old fossils come to relive old isaan memories,when brits were gods and yanks were just someone to kick the crap out of once a month........

Looks like the Yanks got their own back. By the way just what were the Brits doing in Isaan? As there appears to be no offical acknowledgement (other than those who enlisted with Aussie forces and those operating what was known as the bus sevice) we can only assume a b*lls-up and an embarassment to HM government. At least we Aussies admit we got duped by the yanks into believing it was a winnable war.

last saturday night I was assaulted ......its just a few old fossils come to relive old isaan memories,when brits were gods and yanks were just someone to kick the crap out of once a month........

Looks like the Yanks got their own back. By the way just what were the Brits doing in Isaan? As there appears to be no offical acknowledgement (other than those who enlisted with Aussie forces and those operating what was known as the bus sevice) we can only assume a b*lls-up and an embarassment to HM government. At least we Aussies admit we got duped by the yanks into believing it was a winnable war.

We were on a combined commonwealth Operation ,was nothing to do with the US, , composed of brits, aussies, and kiwis, most of the colonials came from 16 and 18th commonwealth brigades from Terendak, who were seasoned jungle bunnies fresh back from active service in Borneo,as were some of the brits too, the operation started in february 1962 in Yasothon province and was wrapped up in august 1968,the main purpose was to build an airfield , but also to have a , functioning unit that knew what they were doing,independant of the septics who were gearing up for the garden party in Vietnam, there are a few idiots who came up to clear the camp in 1968, who have written books and done TV shows one of them calls himself the war poet, telling everyone about their hardships in wartorn thailand, even complaining because they were not issued with a medal for their active services , makes my lao kao go all lumpy when I hear or see them!! There were 5 deaths there between 1962 and 1966 while the real Op was going on , as I have mentioned in other threads one of them was Sapper Jim Box , 59 Squadron Royal Engineers, who was shot on monday the 29th of november 1965 at 2107hours, I know Iwas the guy with him!!!!!!the british govt informed his parents he was killed in a demolition accident on salisbury plain, and let them bury an empty coffin, Jim was really buried along wth the others in Singapore .It took me 30 years to locate his grave , but we found it , he had Been relocated to Kranji War Cemetary, Any of you expats in Esahn pay a visit to the airfield it is still there today spill a glass or two of mekhong on the 5 crosses at the end of the runway, ask the older villagers about Nignoy, Tongnye or hippo dont be surprised if they start to sing the muffin man or Liverpool Lou, certain months of the year , the Farang Puyai Bahn some say Puyai Lee is in residence. So please folks its not <deleted> was not a cockup,even if the first airfield did sink :D we were there doing our bit for queen and country :o the aussie govt even gave us a medal :D you need any more information you know where I am. Lest We forget Nignoy :D

Thanks for the info, Nignoy. That answers a question that I have wondered about for many years.

My wife used to talk about seeing Australians at the air base there when she was a little girl (to her they were all "Australians" at the time). :o Her family's farm was just south of the air base and she used to see the soldiers there while working in the rice fields.

I never knew what she was referring to as I had never heard about that air base before you gave us the details.

Sapper Jim Box , 59 Squadron Royal Engineers, who was shot on monday the 29th of november 1965 at 2107hours, I know Iwas the guy with him!!!!!!

.....was this an accident or a hostile act?

(i knew nothing of brits in Thailand in that era)

of course it was a hostile act, british troops were not allowed to carry arms in thailand at that time :o we were not there :D the british government only admitted to us being there in 1989, the australian govt recognised it as active service 2 years ago, it was only 4 years ago that it was first mentioned in Britains small wars, the veterans of Leong nok ,Tha have had to put up with disbelief and being called BS artists, when they talked about their active service time in thailand.Lest we forget Nignoy

Sapper Jim Box , 59 Squadron Royal Engineers, who was shot on monday the 29th of november 1965 at 2107hours, I know Iwas the guy with him!!!!!!

of course it was a hostile act, british troops were not allowed to carry arms in thailand at that time :o we were not there :D the british government only admitted to us being there in 1989, the australian govt recognised it as active service 2 years ago, it was only 4 years ago that it was first mentioned in Britains small wars, the veterans of Leong nok ,Tha have had to put up with disbelief and being called BS artists, when they talked about their active service time in thailand.Lest we forget Nignoy

You'll no doubt be aware of the Royal British Legion and the Royal Commonwealth ex services league (thats the legion in the far east!)

Are the graves maintained by CWGC?

You'll no doubt be aware of the Royal British Legion and the Royal Commonwealth ex services league (thats the legion in the far east!)

the remains were removed from Ulu pandan cemetary to the new Kranji Memorial Cemetary,it took us until 2001 to get information on the graves location, but we have visited it and it is a remarkable wellcared for cemetary, we have had lots of support here from the RSL and are forming our own commonwealth association so things are definitely looking up. Nignoy

the remains were removed from Ulu pandan cemetary to the new Kranji Memorial Cemetary,it took us until 2001 to get information on the graves location, but we have visited it and it is a remarkable wellcared for cemetary, we have had lots of support here from the RSL and are forming our own commonwealth association so things are definitely looking up. Nignoy

Thats makes our participation in this years Poppy Appeal worthwhile:)

Thats makes our participation in this years Poppy Appeal worthwhile:)

The Poppy Appeal is always worthwhile, Thanks for all the interest in this thread. Will be sure to give enough warning, next time we are in residence in Leong Nok Tha , one and all are welcome to drop in for a few sherbets and a Som Tam sandwich , Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you all :D Nignoy

• 1 year later...

of course it was a hostile act, british troops were not allowed to carry arms in thailand at that time wink.gif we were not there cool.gif the british government only admitted to us being there in 1989, the australian govt recognised it as active service 2 years ago, it was only 4 years ago that it was first mentioned in Britains small wars, the veterans of Leong nok ,Tha have had to put up with disbelief and being called BS artists, when they talked about their active service time in thailand.Lest we forget Nignoy

I also was involved with this incident. As the SQMS I had to put Jim Box into a body bag & the next day had to take him out so a Thai doctor could record he was dead. Was unaware his body never went back to UK. According to the 'officials' he was shot by a Thai who had found him in his hut at night. Will the truth ever come out? Typical of how the government denied we were even there. Even saw a documentry once when back in the UK about how the yanks in that area had built a school and dug a well for water when in actual fact it was our engineers from Op Crown who did all that, even our DH8 tractors shown.