Support Or Against The Death Penalty For Stray Dogs?

sharky1

Support or against the death penalty for stray dogs?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Many stray dogs that have seen better days. Although unlikely to happen, would you like to see their extermination and the streets be ridden of them or do they have a place on the streets of Pattaya (and in our hearts?)?

post-151124-0-30509200-1331114163_thumb.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Generally they are well regarded by the locals and ex-pats too. All that needs to happen is a well orchestrated castration/spaying operation,not too hard to achieve,cost effective and would sort the problem out quite rapidly

Yes.....I keep hearing that the neutering and spaying works, but, there are more strays than ever before in Phuket.

The theory is that dogs are territorial and that if you kill the dog, then another will claim its territory.

If you put the dog back, it will defend its territory and the new-comer will move on.

The maths just doesn't add up. If you put the dog back, there are still two dogs. Kill one and you only have one.

Culling is the only answer IMO.

If not killing, then at least round them up and place them in kennels until they die of old age.

Most of the strays are peacefull and do no harm, but walk any distance outside main streets and at least one of them will bar teeth. Now its not only strays that are the problem, collared dogs also behave aggresivly, and most often more because they have a house they protect, often the entire width of the soi.

If Pattaya want to be the "upscale" tourist destination they talk about, one part of it is to remove any dog without collar and enforce a leash law. Personally I would want all dogs leashed or behind fences.

Please we all know they are part of Thai culture and pose no problems,hugely adored by locals and expats alike.

I was once surrounded by a pack of about 20 of them. I was lucky to escape without being attacked. I can assure you they do cause problems. Neutering would be preferable. A few soi dogs are not a problem. But when they start to form packs they've got to go.

Apparently stray dogs do not exist in the philippines as they eat them. Problem solved. Next time a Thai asks for "a loan," I'll tell them I know where they can get the food for the entire village.

I think people are forgetting the noise and poop pollution strays cause in addition to peeing on everything that doesn't move and then there's rabies vaccinations for your goodself should you be bitten.

A soi dogs lifespan on average is 3 and a half years. In that time many get killed in traffic,die of tick disease,heartworm,some with distemper,some die of starvation,blood poisoning through secondary mange. A soi dog is very lucky to be cared for, I know a lot of motor cycle taxi guys love their particular pack of dogs around their pitch.

I'm not for the wholesale culling/killing of all stray dogs. There seems to be a lot of well loved 'ownerless' dogs hanging about the place. There also seems to be a number of very sick and emaciated dogs about. Some of these would be better off put of their misery. Any cull would need to be humane. A lot of other dogs could be neutered. As mentioned, when the dogs form packs it can be dangerous. Surprise attacks from behind also are not welcomed, though this could be from strays or owned dogs.

There must have been periodic culls in the past in Thailand?

I would vote for a neuter/cull/care for clean up of strays.

Please we all know they are part of Thai culture and pose no problems,hugely adored by locals and expats alike.

Not by me.

My mrs has 2 dogs which l hate with a vengeance, and they know it. The meter men come and they want to bite them, dog passer by's cause a problem, in fact anything causes a problem, Had a dog in UK but never seen the hatred of dogs here. My mrs rides her bike around the lake and gets attacked but she laughs. Give me the tools and l will do the job to protect my lot.

Not by me.

My mrs has 2 dogs which l hate with a vengeance, and they know it. The meter men come and they want to bite them, dog passer by's cause a problem, in fact anything causes a problem, Had a dog in UK but never seen the hatred of dogs here. My mrs rides her bike around the lake and gets attacked but she laughs. Give me the tools and l will do the job to protect my lot.

Sounds like your Mrs wants to get rid of you.

Buy a couple of the soft muzzles,stick them on the dogs,problem solved

Not by me.

Sounds like your Mrs wants to get rid of you.

Buy a couple of the soft muzzles,stick them on the dogs,problem solved

Noooooooooooooo, l don't growl, just nuzzle up, ME safe, dogs not. angry.png

I like the idea of gathering the stray dogs and trucking them across the border into Vietnam. It enables the Thais to make some baht and it helps to put food on the Vietnam dinner table.

I like that idea too. And give them the cats for free! licklips.gif

"Part of Thai culture" ... really? I don't know any better and you may well be correct, but then again I can't recall seeing dogs painted/carved/celebrated next to say the elephant.

As for "adore", you need to check the definition of the word. One does not neglect something that one adores. Nor do we allow prolonged suffering of dogs that we adore. I have seen the "adoration" disappear when one of these strays decide to <deleted> in front of potential adorer's front gate.

I am not a Buddhist expert but really why is HUMANE culling contrary to Buddhist teaching when most Thais love their roast pork, fried chicken, beef curry, Gucci leather shoes and Prada handbags? Allowing the dogs to succumb to festering wounds, disease, starvation and general lack of care and affection is preferable to putting it out of its misery?

• Like 1

The wolf agrees with Doggie 888888.....I am an animal lover/ tree hugger / eco warrier / but also a realist. The dog situation is out of hand. I have had a few close shaves with dogs.

Twice on my scooter, once on my bicycle and more than 6 times on foot, I had to back off slowly from a very dangerous pack of huge dogs in Sattahip and I was alone at the time with no one around. I could have ended up as dog food....

The wolf agrees with Doggie 888888.....I am an animal lover/ tree hugger / eco warrier / but also a realist. The dog situation is out of hand. I have had a few close shaves with dogs.

Twice on my scooter, once on my bicycle and more than 6 times on foot, I had to back off slowly from a very dangerous pack of huge dogs in Sattahip and I was alone at the time with no one around. I could have ended up as dog food....

A few close shaves with dogs I bet that was ruff ruff,I use a Gillette Mach 3 razor.

Edited by stoneyboy

I like the idea of gathering the stray dogs and trucking them across the border into Vietnam. It enables the Thais to make some baht and it helps to put food on the Vietnam dinner table.

Why wast all that fuel? when the crocodile farm is nearby...jap.gif

Apparently stray dogs do not exist in the philippines as they eat them. Problem solved. Next time a Thai asks for "a loan," I'll tell them I know where they can get the food for the entire village.

There are no feral or stray dogs in the Philippines as they soon become food. Our family's pet was run over by a car and a neighbour offered 200 pesos to purchase it to eat - that should explain the situation over there.

Most people on here seem to be under the impression these soi dogs are strays. Most are not strays - they are feral dogs. They are the offspring of domestic dogs which breed on the streets and parks.,

Although they live in the streets, they are loved by many. In my street they are well fed by Thais and sometimes Farang who consider them pets. In the park areas around the Big Buddha on Pratumnak Hill there are hundreds of these feral dogs and many feral cats living and breeding. They are all fed by Thais who usually bring the food around in the late afternoon. You may have seen a large group of these dogs in the late afternoon on the left going down the hill. They are waiting for their food brought by well-to-do Thais in nice cars.

They are pets, so I would suggest it is better to just leave them be.

Edited by tropo

There are no feral or stray dogs in the Philippines as they soon become food. Our family's pet was run over by a car and a neighbour offered 200 pesos to purchase it to eat - that should explain the situation over there.

Most people on here seem to be under the impression these soi dogs are strays. Most are not strays - they are feral dogs. They are the offspring of domestic dogs which breed on the streets and parks.,

Although they live in the streets, they are loved by many. In my street they are well fed by Thais and sometimes Farang who consider them pets. In the park areas around the Big Buddha on Pratumnak Hill there are hundreds of these feral dogs and many feral cats living and breeding. They are all fed by Thais who usually bring the food around in the late afternoon. You may have seen a large group of these dogs in the late afternoon on the left going down the hill. They are waiting for their food brought by well-to-do Thais in nice cars.

They are pets, so I would suggest it is better to just leave them be.

I seem to recall some years back a case where an influential persons son was being ordanes in a popular temple that was, like all temples infested with reject pets and their offspring. The temple grounds were renouned for being covered in dogshit.

There was a semi scandal when they woke up one morning to find all the dogs and cats had mysteriously died overnight.

I was once surrounded by a pack of about 20 of them. I was lucky to escape without being attacked. I can assure you they do cause problems. Neutering would be preferable. A few soi dogs are not a problem. But when they start to form packs they've got to go.

It doesn't need to be 20 of them, there's 3 around my way that regularly attack passers by.

Why wast all that fuel? when the crocodile farm is nearby...jap.gif

Yes, a much better solution. Vietnamese would not eat the mangy mutts that exist in Thailand.