Empty Can Improved My Wifi Signal

garro

I followed the instructions here and I was able to improve my wifi signal.

They used a beer can, but I found that a pepsi can works perfectly well too :)

I've had a problem for years with my wifi signal not reaching certain parts of the house, but this method has improved things for me.

There are all sorts of DIY WiFi reflectors on the web, most work, some work well. But this is by far the most pleasurable one, two, three, ten to build tongue.png

Anybody want 24 WiFi reflectors, beer has been processed smile.png

• Like 1

Didn't work for me...I used a coke can cut/shaped per the instructions...only took a few minutes to cut and shape the can...but when using the can with the router antenna I lost 5 db in signal strength between my Wifi router's upstairs location and my laptop's location downstairs. I used a Windows 7 gadget called Xirrus Wi-fi Monitor to measure the Wifi gain/loss...I have a -63dbm signal with just the router's antenna and a -68dbm signal with the coke can placed over the antenna as shown in the instructions. When taking the coke can off the antenna and just setting it about 4 inches behind the antenna I can get the signal strength to come back up to a -63dbm...but varying the spacing closer and farther away from the antenna never resulted in any gain...and the can is placed to focus the beam toward my laptop. I had tried this years back also just using some aluminum foil with varying degrees of spacing between the foil and antenna...unless the spacing and other things are just right you can create something called Voltage Standing Waves Ratio (VSWR) which can actually cancel out some of your signal resulting in loss of gain...this apparently happened to me before and today. I guess how well it works (or don't work) depends on various factors. Someday I'll need to try a beer can; maybe beer cans have secret technology built into their aluminum material which coke cans and aluminum foil don't have.wink.png

And just to add, I've never really had any luck with replacing antenna on Wifi routers. Most routers come with the little antenna about as long as a cigarette and these antenna's provide a 2 to 3 db gain. I have two other antenna's, 9db again antenna's which are around 10 inches long...bought them off Ebay over the years...one type which screws directly on the router just like the antenna that comes with the router and one antenna with a 10ft cable which allows you to place the antenna away from the router to find a better spot to transmit from. Using the 9db gain antenna that screws directly on the router it gives me no more signal strength on my laptop...I still get a -63dbm signal strength but the signal strength seems to vary less during the day with temp/humidity changes....the other 9db gain antenna with cable will actually result in several db signal loss when placed right next to the router due to attenuation through the cable, but you can move the antenna around to peak out you signal reception and actually get a 3-4 db gain in signal strength on the laptop when you find just the right location...unfortunately, to peak out the signal reception the antenna ends up setting in the middle of a upstairs hallway floor where I guess there is less concrete between the antenna and my laptop downstairs. Yeap, high gain antennas ain't all they are cracked up to be and numerous factors can affect how well they work...like their placement...where your computers are located...construction of your residences, etc...but when you get lucky with the antenna type/location it's a nice thing.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

Didn't work for me...I used a coke can cut/shaped per the instructions...only took a few minutes to cut and shape the can...but when using the can with the router antenna I lost 5 db in signal strength between my Wifi router's upstairs location and my laptop's location downstairs. I used a Windows 7 gadget called Xirrus Wi-fi Monitor to measure the Wifi gain/loss...I have a -63dbm signal with just the router's antenna and a -68dbm signal with the coke can placed over the antenna as shown in the instructions. When taking the coke can off the antenna and just setting it about 4 inches behind the antenna I can get the signal strength to come back up to a -63dbm...but varying the spacing closer and farther away from the antenna never resulted in any gain...and the can is placed to focus the beam toward my laptop. I had tried this years back also just using some aluminum foil with varying degrees of spacing between the foil and antenna...unless the spacing and other things are just right you can create something called Voltage Standing Waves Ratio (VSWR) which can actually cancel out some of your signal resulting in loss of gain...this apparently happened to me before and today. I guess how well it works (or don't work) depends on various factors. Someday I'll need to try a beer can; maybe beer cans have secret technology built into their aluminum material which coke cans and aluminum foil don't have.wink.png

And just to add, I've never really had any luck with replacing antenna on Wifi routers. Most routers come with the little antenna about as long as a cigarette and these antenna's provide a 2 to 3 db gain. I have two other antenna's, 9db again antenna's which are around 10 inches long...bought them off Ebay over the years...one type which screws directly on the router just like the antenna that comes with the router and one antenna with a 10ft cable which allows you to place the antenna away from the router to find a better spot to transmit from. Using the 9db gain antenna that screws directly on the router it gives me no more signal strength on my laptop...I still get a -63dbm signal strength but the signal strength seems to vary less during the day with temp/humidity changes....the other 9db gain antenna with cable will actually result in several db signal loss when placed right next to the router due to attenuation through the cable, but you can move the antenna around to peak out you signal reception and actually get a 3-4 db gain in signal strength on the laptop when you find just the right location...unfortunately, to peak out the signal reception the antenna ends up setting in the middle of a upstairs hallway floor where I guess there is less concrete between the antenna and my laptop downstairs. Yeap, high gain antennas ain't all they are cracked up to be and numerous factors can affect how well they work...like their placement...where your computers are located...construction of your residences, etc...but when you get lucky with the antenna type/location it's a nice thing.

It is a shame it didn't work for you. Maybe it is because of the location of the router in my house that the coke can has made a difference - it is right beside an outside wall. I haven't actually looked at the numbers (I’m not that tech savvy), but there is certainly a noticeable improvement in my wifi signal upstairs.

Antenna's use magic! Really! if you dangle a piece of wire (an earth wire is a good idea) out of your upper floor window down near the router antenna and attach the wire to your computer antenna you might be surprised by how effective it is in gathering in the signal!

Of course the easiest way to improve your signal and save your life as well is to earth your computer with a length of wire that attaches to your computer on one end and the other end (bare wire in both cases) is pushed into the earth near a wet spot! A dry spot will do only not as well.

Anything that radiates a radio signal or receives one just loves to be earthed! It also gets rid of that electric tingle you feel if you touch your computer box, makes the computer work better as well.

Remember! if you use the "cantenna" reflector you wont get any signal behind the reflector, or not much! Happy pottering!

For sale:

10 empty beer cans: 200 Baht each.

On request we can also provide empty high quality German import beer cans

Are the German imports the ones with the Porche picture on them? Those really do work to get your internet speed up!! crazy.gif

color]C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Beer-Can-Porche.jpg[color=#313131][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]

For sale:

Are the German imports the ones with the Porche picture on them? Those really do work to get your internet speed up!! crazy.gif

C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Beer-Can-Porche.jpg

Well heck!! That did not work!!

For sale:

C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Beer-Can-Porche.jpg

Well heck!! That did not work!!

No they are just whatever I can find in the supermarket drunk.gif