Fugitive Ex-PM Thaksin Longs For National Reconciliation This Year

webfact

Fugitive Leader Longs for National Reconciliation This Year

SEOUL: -- The fugitive former Prime Minister insists that Thai political conflicts would be resolved this year.

Thaksin Shinawatra said in an interview on March 6 at the Asian Leadership Conference in Seoul, that political conflicts among political parties will be put to an end by the end of this year, adding that conflict will not lead to violence.

He added that his sister's seven-month-old government has good ties with the army. Consequently, she is capable of working with the military without conflict. At the same time, Thaksin expressed hope of returning from exile this year.

Thaksin stated that Yingluck is dedicated and works hard for the people, and that she highly respects the monarchy. Regarding the constitution amendment, Thaksin pointed out that some 66 million people support the movement.

Meanwhile, Thaksin reaffirmed that Thai history will not repeat itself, saying street battles will not break out again. He said that, on the contrary, the country has been moving toward reconciliation since early this year.

Thaksin conceded that last year's flood crisis caused the economy to shrink, but only minimally. However, the economy is beginning to recover due to the premier's efficient handling of the situation.

Thaksin added that Yingluck performs very well in solving problems, better than he had expected. He said the latest indicator of a recovery is Thailand’s consumer confidence, which continues to rise.

In addition, Thaksin insisted he has no desire to serve as prime minister in the future, saying he prefers to become his sister's adviser once he returns to Thailand.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-03-08

footer_n.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It aint going to happen. Taksin is living in a dream. What he is saying is that everyone is going to agree that his party is the best thing for Thailand and political opponents will disappear overnight. The people who know what he did before are going to forgive and forget?

66 million people support modifying constitution? Another lie.

Street battles wont happen because he has already tried to overthrow the government this way and it did not work!

Edited by MaiChai
  • Like 1

The fugitive former Prime Minister insists that Thai political conflicts would be resolved this year.

Unless he plans on dieing this year that certainly isn't true. There will be massive conflict over pardoning Thaksin and returning his billions that will result in extremely bloody political violence against those brave enough to oppose it.

Playing the man of peace on the left hand with public interviews such as this with the left hand, while antagonising with charter change moves and red shirt rallies with the right.

This tactic should be transparent to all observers over the years by now. But, alas, no...

• Like 2

What the hell is he doing at a leadership conference, he is a convicted crim on the run?

Has he been given some sort of Govt post along with his passport that we havent been told about?

Animatic has got it right; complete control or nothing.

• Like 2

This is an interesting piece, the first time several things have been said in tandem: the real picture appears to be revealing itself now.

Of concern, is that the Shinawatra clan now desire reconciliation, after they destroyed the system in 2010/2011, because the system did not favor their desires. This suggests cravings for control and power. Why did Thaksin not desire reconciliation when other parties, not aligned to his desires, and not requesting his advice, were in power?

Thaksin does not desire reconciliation, he desires acceptance from his political enemies, and the army, and their yielding bondage in servitude to his strategies.

His sisters ability to deal with the floods, as well as other crisis, have been very much on the boring, predictable, and uninspired side of things, and she is famous among Thais for holding "notes" in her hands, and on her hands for her speeches, and forgetting her conscripted lines. This, as well as not answering pointed questions of which she has not been advised how to answer by her "adviser". Thaksin speaks, already. Thaksin advises, already. It is hurting ALL Thais, it is hurting ALL business in Thailand.

No, I do not support the Yellow shirts, I disagree with them for being quite anti-western, but I do not think that the current government is any better either. However, I admire Abhisit for how he assisted in the floods, and has been a true man by offering bipartisan assistance during the floods. This is the mark of a true leader.

Edited by TheGhostWithin
  • Like 1

"No, I do not support the Yellow shirts, I disagree with them for being quite anti-western, but I do not think that the current government is any better either. However, I admire Abhisit for how he assisted in the floods, and has been a true man by offering bipartisan assistance during the floods. This is the mark of a true leader. "

Anti-western? Why would anyone want to follow in America's foot-steps?

And what was it Abhisit did for assisting with the floods? I must have been sleeping that particular moment.

The present Government was voted in by the people so get over it.

"No, I do not support the Yellow shirts, I disagree with them for being quite anti-western, but I do not think that the current government is any better either. However, I admire Abhisit for how he assisted in the floods, and has been a true man by offering bipartisan assistance during the floods. This is the mark of a true leader. "

And what was it Abhisit did for assisting with the floods? I must have been sleeping that particular moment.

If you were in Thailand at the time of the floods (I was), you would have seen Abhisit in gumboots (wellingtons, whatever you want to call them), with a shovel helping out. He was not on the back of a very large dump truck, dry as a tourist in Cuban summer, Wai'ing people in Pathum Thani who were struggling to survive as his counterpart was. This defines the true difference between the two leaders (I did not say the two parties, or the two movements).

America is not the west, never has been, and never will be. America is not the only developed country, and believe it or not things are done very differently in many countries in comparison to the USA. It is said that Americans get quite a culture shock when coming to my home country, or Australia, because we do things so different, and have different expectations for example. The USA should never be considered the west, it is offensive to even state that is the case.

The present government, as the previous government did, and the governments going back as far as you can, had a bidding war rather than a war for hearts, and won the minds of the people. Do not confuse Thai politics with western politics - Thais live for the day, they rarely plan for the future. This is the teaching of buddha.

• Like 2

"The present Government was voted in by the people so get over it".

That is totally irrelevant to TGW's post....

They forgot to add: Fugitive Ex-PM Thaksin Longs for National Reconciliation This Year [insofar as It Happens on His Terms]. Thaksin, the mighty He, shall not have a lower case first letter ever applied to His mighty pronouns again.

How about potentate - a ruler who is unconstrained by law

dictator

ruler, swayer - a person who rules or commands; "swayer of the universe"

strongman - a powerful political figure who rules by the exercise of force or violence;

autocrat, despot, tyrant - a cruel and oppressive dictator

• Like 1

1. Yes, anti-western. Also anti-foreign.

2. America is not the totality of 'western' culture.

3. I bet you every baht I have that for all his faults, Abhisit did more than you to help flood victims.

4. Being elected by some of the population does not grant the right to do as you please.

• Like 1

If you were in Thailand at the time of the floods (I was), you would have seen Abhisit in gumboots (wellingtons, whatever you want to call them), with a shovel helping out. He was not on the back of a very large dump truck, dry as a tourist in Cuban summer, Wai'ing people in Pathum Thani who were struggling to survive as his counterpart was. This defines the true difference between the two leaders (I did not say the two parties, or the two movements).

America is not the west, never has been, and never will be. America is not the only developed country, and believe it or not things are done very differently in many countries in comparison to the USA. It is said that Americans get quite a culture shock when coming to my home country, or Australia, because we do things so different, and have different expectations for example. The USA should never be considered the west, it is offensive to even state that is the case.

The present government, as the previous government did, and the governments going back as far as you can, had a bidding war rather than a war for hearts, and won the minds of the people. Do not confuse Thai politics with western politics - Thais live for the day, they rarely plan for the future. This is the teaching of buddha.

Sorry, but that's not the teaching of buddha.

• Like 1

Thaksin Shinawatra said in an interview on March 6 at the Asian Leadership Conference in Seoul, that political conflicts among political parties will be put to an end by the end of this year, adding that conflict will not lead to violence.

Well seeing as everything Thaksin says is almost the exact opposite of what he means, then the above would translate to... do not expect the conflicts among political parties to end anytime soon, and there will be violence, just as much as I can pay for.

Well seeing as everything Thaksin says is almost the exact opposite of what he means, then the above would translate to... do not expect the conflicts among political parties to end anytime soon, and there will be violence, just as much as I can pay for.

As we have seen already he can pay for a lot. Take the burn Bangkok campaign for example.

So, 7 months into Yingluck's term, what has her government done for reconciliation?

* Tax breaks on cars (but favours the rich)

* Tax breaks on houses (but favours the rich)

* Reduction on Corporation tax (favours the rich)

I could write a huge, massive list of things that would make the Red side happy and that same list would make the Yellow side angry.

So, I'm struggling here to see how the PTP can try to cast a positive light on reconciliation

Yinluck has even helped farangs....Example: I got 5,000 baht in flood compensation (which was a fraction of the flooding damage to my home).

All he has to do is stay away from the country and allow everybody else here to get on with their lives without his egotisticalpolitical interference-- then there might be a chance for reconciliation as opposed to 'reconciliation'.

Or disappear for good licklips.gif

you didn't watch any tv stations at all during the floods? Out there laboring in the heat, helping the locals. In contrast, not floating around in super high price fashion boots walking on boards high above the water and being superficial like a despicable someone.

He is a leader, much more so than Yingluk. A lot of problems to sort out in thailand, but he doesn't cower away like yingluk, cry, blow off meeting, and exaggerate food poisoning.

• Like 1

"Thaksin pointed out that some 66 million people support the movement [to amend the constitution]."

How did he come up with this figure? That would mean that every toddler, infant and underaged school kid would support the movement - if there is a "movement".

• Like 2

Apparently he did not expect munch from his sister. And she delivered.

How does he expect to come back and advise her from jail?

I just read in another Bangkok Paper that there is now a plan, where Chalerm said he can get Thaksin home. That should put the cat amongst the pidgeons.

This is an interesting piece, the first time several things have been said in tandem: the real picture appears to be revealing itself now.

Of concern, is that the Shinawatra clan now desire reconciliation, after they destroyed the system in 2010/2011, because the system did not favor their desires. This suggests cravings for control and power. Why did Thaksin not desire reconciliation when other parties, not aligned to his desires, and not requesting his advice, were in power?

Thaksin does not desire reconciliation, he desires acceptance from his political enemies, and the army, and their yielding bondage in servitude to his strategies.

His sisters ability to deal with the floods, as well as other crisis, have been very much on the boring, predictable, and uninspired side of things, and she is famous among Thais for holding "notes" in her hands, and on her hands for her speeches, and forgetting her conscripted lines. This, as well as not answering pointed questions of which she has not been advised how to answer by her "adviser". Thaksin speaks, already. Thaksin advises, already. It is hurting ALL Thais, it is hurting ALL business in Thailand.

No, I do not support the Yellow shirts, I disagree with them for being quite anti-western, but I do not think that the current government is any better either. However, I admire Abhisit for how he assisted in the floods, and has been a true man by offering bipartisan assistance during the floods. This is the mark of a true leader.

Why did Thaksin not desire reconciliation when other parties, not aligned to his desires, and not requesting his advice, were in power?

he numerously made the same statements of calling for reconciliation throughout the democrats time in power... don't know where you got that idea from?

However, I admire Abhisit for how he assisted in the floods, and has been a true man by offering bipartisan assistance during the floods. This is the mark of a true leader.

well i suggest you could do some revision if you think that all abhisit did was offer nonpartisan assistance during the floods and there was no politicking involved in some of his statements...

he numerously made the same statements of calling for reconciliation throughout the democrats time in power... don't know where you got that idea from?

If you could point me to relevant news articles, I will stand humbled. Though, I can say with all honesty the only attempts of communication between Thaksin and the government were the read shirt demonstrations, and the rejection of the Democrats gradual acceptance of an early election. This was slow, but eventually negotiated to a very short period of time prior to the shootings. The Red shirt movement refused to stop protesting and the "clean up" of the protests took place. But that is another unrelated issue.

You may like to read these articles for proof:

Abhisit offering to hold elections by July (18/04/2011):

Abhisit offering to dissolve parliament early may for the July elections (11/03/2011):

Yet, the protests continued. This could either be seen as effectively either a rejection of the terms, or treason through disruption of the countries main business and tourist discrict(s). This was the time to accept the terms and reconsile as brothers, not as politicians but as Thais willing to accept win or loss. But as we know, some to this day cannot accept loss, which is the reason for so much political infighting within both camps (but mostly within PTP). There is more to come with Thai Rak Thai party members being eligible to hold positions shortly. Big fish will eat small fish.

However, I admire Abhisit for how he assisted in the floods, and has been a true man by offering bipartisan assistance during the floods. This is the mark of a true leader.

well i suggest you could do some revision if you think that all abhisit did was offer nonpartisan assistance during the floods and there was no politicking involved in some of his statements...

You are wrong.

Here is the link to a meeting between both leaders (12/10/2011), which to my knowledge was the only meeting which took place through official channels with the two:

Here was the head of the Thai army expressing his desires for the Army, Democrats, and PTP (the three groups that could never quite saw eye to eye previously) to act together (27/10/2011):

Here was the offer of bipartisan assistance by Abhisit on 28/10/2011: It does strike me that this was a military idea, rather than either parties idea, judging by the two dates above.

And here is Abhisit having to communicate his concerns politically, after a bi-partisan committee was not formed (22/11/2011):

Having a single meeting between both Abhisit and Yingluck does not equate to a bipartisan think tank, let alone a stand alone flood committee comprising of both parties top leaders and flood specialists.