Z1000 Fuel

kawapower

Picked up my Z1000 this morning, dealer says only use 91 Benzine not use Gasohol, on tank it says 95 E10, in book it says E10 or less,95(RON) also it says do not use a lower rated octane than what is specified otherwise severe engine damage could occur, so who is right!! and what to use?

They were both wrong, it must be minimum 99 E85 jet for fast bike like that. Or you risk serious damage to the flux capacitors.

Hopefully I will get a serious answer soon!!!

Gasoline or Gasohol RON 95 are both fine... (now and then a few drups of RON 91 Gasohol or Gasoline will not damage the engine)

They were both wrong, it must be minimum 99 E85 jet for fast bike like that. Or you risk serious damage to the flux capacitors.

ok lets be serious, which one is correct. The company that designed and build the bike or some bloke at some shop that imported the bike second hand from Japan?

Take a deep breath and think hard coffee1.gif

ok lets be serious, which one is correct. The company that designed and build the bike or some bloke at some shop that imported the bike second hand from Japan?

Take a deep breath and think hard coffee1.gif

Some bloke at some shop is the bloke at the Kawasaki dealer!! the bike is not second hand it is new and imported from Japan by the bloke at the Kawasaki dealership!!!!

No problem my Thai gf has just vtranslated the label on the tank, it says Benzine or 95 Gasohol, so looks like the bloke at the shop who imported the bike was right!!

Edited by kawapower

You OP says the guy telling you 91 and no gasohol and sticker in tank and book says 95 and E10 gasohol ok. In any case whatever it is go with the bike's manual. It's no brainer really.

And as Richard says occasional emergency fill with 91 does not matter. Just top up with 95 as soon as possible.

Using or not using gasohol comes down to personal opinion, there is lot of discussion here in old threads. I'd use it only when regular is not available but that's my personal view.

So go by the book and your fine.

Edited by MJo

Use 91 all the time if you can, and 95 gasohol when 91 not available, it`s ok on both ....

BUT the reason is the more peeps that use 91 the less chance these so called Goverment experts will feel the need to discontinue 91 benzene...

Happy and safe riding on your new bike...that`s the top priority....

You OP says the guy telling you 91 and no gasohol and sticker in tank and book says 95 and E10 gasohol ok. In any case whatever it is go with the bike's manual. It's no brainer really.

And as Richard says occasional emergency fill with 91 does not matter. Just top up with 95 as soon as possible.

Using or not using gasohol comes down to personal opinion, there is lot of discussion here in old threads. I'd use it only when regular is not available but that's my personal view.

So go by the book and your fine.

when i was picking up my cbr 250r the head mechanic told me to only put red benzine 91 in it

it says use gasohl 91 95 or E20 in the manual if i remember correctly but thats what he told me

Use 91 all the time if you can, and 95 gasohol when 91 not available, it`s ok on both ....

BUT the reason is the more peeps that use 91 the less chance these so called Goverment experts will feel the need to discontinue 91 benzene...

Happy and safe riding on your new bike...that`s the top priority....

If a motorcycle manufacturer writes in the manual, as in the case with the Kawasaki Z1000, to use RON 95 fuel (or fuel with an octane rating of 95) you better use 95 as your standard fuel.

Using RON 91 (octane 91) fuel in a motorcycle which needs RON 95 will overtime damage the internals of the engine. You get problems with fuel prematurely igniting. "The problem of premature ignition is referred to as pre-ignition and also as engine knock, which is a sound that is made when the fuel ignites too early in the compression stroke." Obvious, if the fuel-air mixture ignite prematurely it will seriously damage your engine...

So USE RON 95 fuel if the manufacturer says so.... You can also read the WIKIPedia about Octane-Rating

I never use gasahol. It's apoor excuse for motocycle fuel. I get a lot more knock on acceleration (see previous poster) with gasahol. And, if you have loud pipes, you just may not hear that knock, all the while trashing your engine. Won't use it.

Edited by TongueThaied

Richard is spot on. Only use 95 either petrol or gasohol E10. I have the same problem with my Vespa 300 Supersport it can only run on 95 as stated in the handbook.

The dealer was adament that only 91 Benzine should be used and must not use Gasohol, on the tank there is a sticker, in Thai it says, Benzine, underneath this it says gasohol(E10)in Thai, underneath this in big letters it says 95, my gf says Benzine is 91 no gasohol. so is the tank sticker saying you can use benzine 91, also 95 gasohol?

Gf says the sticker says from top to bottom, benzine

gasohol(E10)

post-150763-0-39112900-1331272571_thumb.

Edited by kawapower

Richard is spot on. Only use 95 either petrol or gasohol E10. I have the same problem with my Vespa 300 Supersport it can only run on 95 as stated in the handbook.

The dealer was adament that only 91 Benzine should be used and must not use Gasohol, on the tank there is a sticker, in Thai it says, Benzine, underneath this it says gasohol(E10)in Thai, underneath this in big letters it says 95, my gf says Benzine is 91 no gasohol. so is the tank sticker saying you can use benzine 91, also 95 gasohol?

gasohol(E10)

You should only use RON 95 fuel, this can be Benzine or gasohol. The octane level has nothing to do with the levels of ethanol in the fuel. RON 91 fuel has a lower OCTANE level and is only used in lover compression combustion engines. (Honda Wave, Tiger Boxer, Kawasaki W650...etc...etc..etc...*)

The Kawasaki Z1000 uses a engine that needs to have RON 95 fuel.... (it doesn't matter if it's benzine or gasohole)... Using RON 91 (benzine or gasohol) fuel will in the end distroy the engine.

-----------------------------------

* Nothing wrong with a low compression ratio engine they only use different fuel

Edited by Richard-BKK

Don't thinks so, because this would mean that the manufacturer claims that benzine 91 is better than gasohol 91. No company can make such a statement nowadays.

http://www.eppo.go.t...ail_prices.html

EDIT:

OK, you already posted a picture and someone answered. Hope everything fine now. Just get some 95 fuel and you will be fine.

Maybe get rid of the ethanol before you leave your bike standing for a longer period, but thats another topic... smile.png

Edited by wantan

gasohol(E10)

You should only use RON 95 fuel, this can be Benzine or gasohol. The octane level has nothing to do with the levels of ethanol in the fuel. RON 91 fuel has a lower OCTANE level and is only used in lover compression combustion engines. (Honda Wave, Tiger Boxer, Kawasaki W650...etc...etc..etc...*)

The Kawasaki Z1000 uses a engine that needs to have RON 95 fuel.... (it doesn't matter if it's benzine or gasohole)... Using RON 91 (benzine or gasohol) fuel will in the end distroy the engine.

Okay dealer put 91 in and I have just filled up with 91 but from now on use 95 benzine or 95 gasohol, cheers for everyones info and input. I assume no hurt to engine with 2 tanks of 91?

-----------------------------------

* Nothing wrong with a low compression ratio engine they only use different fuel

I will try to explain fuel at the petrol stations a bit more clearly....

First we have benzine and gasohol fuels, both come with different RON (octane) ratings. The latest Kawasaki Z1000 is a very modern motorcycle and is happy with both gasohol or benzine.

The second option at the petrol station is RON (octane) levels in the fuel, in Thailand we have commonly two octane levels available; RON 91 and RON 95. The Kawasaki Z1000 as it's engine has a higher compression ratio than average you should only use fuel which is of the RON 95 standard.

As far as I am aware and have been told there is only one gas station on Phuket that sells 95 benzine but obviously 95 gashol is readily available, so much easier in the UK!!!

So the sticker on the tank is saying, benzine, gasohol(E10) 95 in other words, use benzine 95 or 95 gasohol!!.

I assume the first 2 tanks of 91 will do no harm?

Edited by kawapower

As far as I am aware and have been told there is only one gas station on Phuket that sells 95 benzine but obviously 95 gashol is readily available, so much easier in the UK!!!

Then the answer to your question is very simple, USE RON 95 Gasohol ......................

So the sticker on the tank is saying, benzine, gasohol(E10) 95 in other words, use benzine 95 or 95 gasohol!!.

YEP, i see a very big 95 on your picture. You should respect it :)

Yeah use 95 benzine or 95 gasohol. You can still find 95 benzine in some places but it's getting much harder.

A couple of tanks of 91 won't have done it any harm, especially as you should have been riding it soft to run it in!

YEP, i see a very big 95 on your picture. You should respect it smile.png

Okay cheers guys and a good discussion, you have to ask yourself though, why does the dealer insist on using 91 benzine when it clearly says 95 on the tank and in the manual, is it because they don't care or some other reason?

Purely theoretical, your mistake of using RON 91 fuel for the first two tank fill ups did likely not harm your engine – as you probably will not rev the engine hard and fast enough as you're still 'braking-in' the engine...

When the first service comes up, ask the Kawasaki mechanic to check the inlet-valve tolerance...

But when it comes to fuel for your motorcycle Read The Manual ….

How comfy do you find it, do you think you could ride for a whole day on it without too much issue and what about the pillion seat? Which dealer did you buy it from, I want to go and look at one in BKK tomorrow.

Purely theoretical, your mistake of using RON 91 fuel for the first two tank fill ups did likely not harm your engine – as you probably will not rev the engine hard and fast enough as you're still 'braking-in' the engine...

When the first service comes up, ask the Kawasaki mechanic to check the inlet-valve tolerance...

But when it comes to fuel for your motorcycle Read The Manual ….

Yes I have read the manual and read the tank label but the dealer insists on using 91.

How comfy do you find it, do you think you could ride for a whole day on it without too much issue and what about the pillion seat? Which dealer did you buy it from, I want to go and look at one in BKK tomorrow.

It is very comfortable and could ride a long way without a break but breaks are a good thing of course, my 10 yr old daughter was on the back today and loved it, I bought it from Phuket Kawasaki.

Cool sounds great! I wanted to look at a sports tourer but as they don't sell the ninja1000 here I am interested in the z1000 instead, it looks cooler anyway, so it has some plus points too!

Everyone looks at it because it is a new model and it just looks so awesome, now you know what fuel to use 100% maybe the dealer in Bangkok will tell you it uses 91!! I still don;t understand why the dealer would say 91 when it is cleary stated it uses 95, oh well that is what these forums are for!!

Cool sounds great! I wanted to look at a sports tourer but as they don't sell the ninja1000 here I am interested in the z1000 instead, it looks cooler anyway, so it has some plus points too!

Everyone looks at it because it is a new model and it just looks so awesome, now you know what fuel to use 100% maybe the dealer in Bangkok will tell you it uses 91!! I still don;t understand why the dealer would say 91 when it is cleary stated it uses 95, oh well that is what these forums are for!!

First when it comes to fuel, the RON indication (octane level) is more important than anything else. Some people say that benzine is better than gasohol, and gasohol did damaged many motorcycles in the past, and probably still does... But that are motorcycles who where made in a time that motorcycle manufacturers didn't know about gasohol... Now every motorcycle manufacturer knows about gasohol and and new motorcycles run nicely on the fuel containing 10% ethanol.

I have friends who will not touch gasohol, they convinced that running benzine makes them faster and the bikes more powerful... (there's some truth in it, but do you feel 138 or 139 horsepower, I do not)

They buy Benzine RON 91 fuel and add octane boosters so it becomes RON 95 fuel. But I not see myself in my garage mixing fuel, with the danger of blowing myself up..., doing the mixture wrong and killing my motorcycle, or one other reason... They get only a little extra power, and that is with motorcycles that are not that modern...

Your motorcycle is likely setup to deal much more efficient with fuel containing ethanol....