Govt Raps WSJ Criticism Of PM Yingluck's Thai-Language Speech

webfact

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Complaints complaints and more complaints......has anyone complained when Obama spoke English to Chinese, Japanese and Russian audiences.

Or when Japan PM, Russia President/PM, France President all gave their speech in their respective mothers' tongue....

Blame it on Thaksin and Puea Thai again...WPFflags.gif

But when those speeches were given was there simultaneous translation or not?

With Yingluck's speech it seems there was not which was the whole point of the article

The point of the article was to denigrate Ms. Y.

You trolled all of pages one and two with your silly rhetoric! What a waste. Even more of a waste is how pathetic it is with a foreign guy defending a nit wit unqualified, inexperienced, and poor excuse of a PM ...for what? The sake of your isaan bar girlfriend's opinions?

sound like a white fake hi-so troll .

She should not have to speak English in Japan.

Depends on what she wants with the speech.

If it is the usual bla bla about how successful a meeting was, any language will do. But if you want to reassure people their investments are safe with you, you'd better make sure they trust and understand you.

Complaints complaints and more complaints......has anyone complained when Obama spoke English to Chinese, Japanese and Russian audiences.

Or when Japan PM, Russia President/PM, France President all gave their speech in their respective mothers' tongue....

Blame it on Thaksin and Puea Thai again...WPFflags.gif

But when those speeches were given was there simultaneous translation or not?

With Yingluck's speech it seems there was not which was the whole point of the article

The point of the article was to denigrate Ms. Y.

You trolled all of pages one and two with your silly rhetoric! What a waste. Even more of a waste is how pathetic it is with a foreign guy defending a nit wit unqualified, inexperienced, and poor excuse of a PM ...for what? The sake of your isaan bar girlfriend's opinions?

I hear that over and over...disagreement characterized as trolling.

Is it possible to disagree and the opinion be accepted as such, and considered on its merits?

Regarding the 'foreign guy' thing.......this is a political discussion board filled with inconsequential idiot political junkies like myself.

That is what political junkies do....and hope there is significant enough diversity of opinions to avoid banal uniformity, group-think.

I do my best to contribute to such a scenario, mostly focussed on the message and not the messenger..

Obviously you and I disagree about Ms. Y's competence.

She has impressed the hell out of me.

The way she has skated through the pressures coming from all the various elements of the Opposition, yet retain the fervent allegiance of the constituancy who elected her...decidedly not from the ranks of those Oppositional elements.

Edited by CalgaryII

Can someone please stop Mr. Calgaryll from totally dominating this thread with post after post after post?

Actually, I only respond to those who commented on my post, in the interest of discussion.

I am encouraged by the fact no-one needs to read 'em.

...this is a political discussion board filled with inconsequential idiot political junkies like myself.

Hear, hear. Who am I to disagree with this masterfull piece of psychological insight smile.png

DP#25^

"............given the massive incompetence and corruption at every step of this government's misrule".

Wow.

Do not quote my posts without using the proper quote function. The sole reason you quote like this is to break up page format so your propaganda sticks out more. It's quite obvious what your thread flooding and messed up quoting in every single thread about Thaksin or his sister is designed to do.

I think it is quite efficient. Better than quoting the entire lengthy post when I want to discuss only one element of it.

I am very careful to stick to rules of not changing one iota of a quote, not even using quote fonts, or in any way changing what someone else wrote.

i quoted you word for word, not changing anything.....that would be unethical to the extreme.

the WSJ article is here : http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2012/03/08/some-japanese-still-in-the-dark-over-thailands-flood-plan/

Bizarre article : as many noted, it doesn't mention even one time the interesting part of the speech/day - how the message was received.

The article's focus with the translation is odd, since it is a mute point. The speech was provided in Japanese and English to the audience.

Given this from the nation's article :

"Due to the time constraint, both sides wanted to provide as much time as possible for the ensuing networking session between the private sectors of both countries. This is normal practice at such events."

Clearly there was more to the day than just the 7 minute speech. The WSJ article doesn't delve into this at all.

As for choosing a language for addressing the Japanese, if it is not in Japanese, then it doesn't matter if it is Thai or English. As someone noted, it is normal for world leaders to address foreign audiences in their native language and have translations - as was done here.

WSJ usually does a good job with business reporting. This seems to me to be an exception, and more deserving of space on their editorial page.

• Like 1

DP#25^

"............given the massive incompetence and corruption at every step of this government's misrule".

Wow.

Do not quote my posts without using the proper quote function. The sole reason you quote like this is to break up page format so your propaganda sticks out more. It's quite obvious what your thread flooding and messed up quoting in every single thread about Thaksin or his sister is designed to do.

I think it is quite efficient. Better than quoting the entire lengthy post when I want to discuss only one element of it.

I am very careful to stick to rules of not changing one iota of a quote, not even using quote fonts, or in any way changing what someone else wrote.

i quoted you word for word, not changing anything.....that would be unethical to the extreme.

By quoting only this part of his post you have changed the meaning of it completely.

Edited by stevenl

DP#25^

Wow.

You can easily quote parts using existing quote function. The reason you are doing this is to make your posts different from every single other person's on the board, so that your Thaksin propaganda sticks out on the page. I will report further posts of mine quoted not using the quote function

• Like 1

If it is the usual bla bla about how successful a meeting was, any language will do. But if you want to reassure people their investments are safe with you, you'd better make sure they trust and understand you.

which is why the speech was handed out in Japanese and English....

The article's focus with the translation is odd, since it is a mute point. The speech was provided in Japanese and English to the audience.

According to the article there was only a Japanese translation provided to the audience, not English. May also be a mute point, but I don't know how many of the audience were non Japanese.

Why the need to translate into English? The organizers could have provided a simultaneous translation of her Thai speech into Japanese? There must have been translators present at the event. Seems like a logistical mishap on the part of the Japanese govt rather than the Thai delegation.

Not the same. If I speak to German guests I do not only give German information but also speak German. And yes, that helps a lot.

Yeah, it is pretty funny.

This a government that lied about populist campaign promises, but managed to slip a 23% reduction in corporate income tax through with virtually no press coverage, let alone protests. The WSJ must get hard at night at the very idea of being able to give empty promises to the poor while in reality every law you pass is designed to benefit the rich. If Republicans back home tried the same thing, lie to the poor, give tax cuts to the rich, and pardon the tax evasion of billionaires, there would be mass protests and every single news organization aside from Fox would be screaming their heads off, in Thailand not a peep is made by anyone. Dream situation for many back home, this poor reporter probably didn't get the memo.

The WSJ is well-known for being fervently Republican.

And aside from ignoring tax evasion, they're doing exactly what you say above. People are struggling to keep it together, but the party (and its official 'news' station) is convincing them the important things are low taxes for the wealthy and that universal health care is to their detriment. It's actually impressive, the same way the Reichstag incident was.

Unfortunately, the other news outlets in that country are spineless.

the WSJ article is here : http://blogs.wsj.com...nds-flood-plan/

Bizarre article : as many noted, it doesn't mention even one time the interesting part of the speech/day - how the message was received.

Given this from the nation's article :

"Due to the time constraint, both sides wanted to provide as much time as possible for the ensuing networking session between the private sectors of both countries. This is normal practice at such events."

Clearly there was more to the day than just the 7 minute speech. The WSJ article doesn't delve into this at all.

As for choosing a language for addressing the Japanese, if it is not in Japanese, then it doesn't matter if it is Thai or English. As someone noted, it is normal for world leaders to address foreign audiences in their native language and have translations - as was done here.

WSJ usually does a good job with business reporting. This seems to me to be an exception, and more deserving of space on their editorial page.

Time constraint may be unprofessional planning, or the political need to try to appease the Japanese business community as much as possible to 'restore confidence'. Less activity, but more professionality might have worked better. Whether or not the WSJ article is to the point, the very fact it did report like this suggests the tour was less well planned and maybe perceived than some have suggested.

DP#25^

Wow.

You can easily quote parts using existing quote function. The reason you are doing this is to make your posts different from every single other person's on the board, so that your Thaksin propaganda sticks out on the page. I will report further posts of mine quoted not using the quote function

you are assuming a lot here.

With the new software, I have a lot of issues with my browser and the quotes. It can be a real pita.

IMO, the quote function actually would make the reply more obvious than the method used by CalgaryII - IMO...

According to the article there was only a Japanese translation provided to the audience, not English. May also be a mute point, but I don't know how many of the audience were non Japanese.

The Nation's article (this thread) quotes the govt spokesman stating that the speech was available in Japanese and English.

Obviously, at least one was non-Japanese ;)

Yeah, it is pretty funny.

This a government that lied about populist campaign promises, but managed to slip a 23% reduction in corporate income tax through with virtually no press coverage, let alone protests. The WSJ must get hard at night at the very idea of being able to give empty promises to the poor while in reality every law you pass is designed to benefit the rich. If Republicans back home tried the same thing, lie to the poor, give tax cuts to the rich, and pardon the tax evasion of billionaires, there would be mass protests and every single news organization aside from Fox would be screaming their heads off, in Thailand not a peep is made by anyone. Dream situation for many back home, this poor reporter probably didn't get the memo.

The WSJ is well-known for being fervently Republican.

And aside from ignoring tax evasion, they're doing exactly what you say above. People are struggling to keep it together, but the party (and its official 'news' station) is convincing them the important things are low taxes for the wealthy and that universal health care is to their detriment. It's actually impressive, the same way the Reichstag incident was.

Unfortunately, the other news outlets in that country are spineless.

Fervently Republican is an understatement. B)

The op-ed page of the WSJ is often considered the most radically conservative political op-ed pages in the US.

Generally, the news reporting is straight up. Of course it is business news, not general news. WSJ doesn't wade into social issues often in its news section.

Not the same. If I speak to German guests I do not only give German information but also speak German. And yes, that helps a lot.

You should give Chancellor Merkel a few lessons.

The people she was trying to reassure where japanese

Your right she should of spoke Japanese. The translation should of been done before and handed out before.

The people she was trying to reassure where japanese

Your right she should of spoke Japanese. The translation should of been done before and handed out before.

Well, her speech in Japanese would have been the best, but I don't think that would have been a realistic expectation. And IMO Thai would have been perfectly ok, provided there would have been a simultanious translation into Japanese, and where required English.

That simultanious translation was missing, omission of the Thai party according to the article, I don't know the organisational protocol for things like this, and according to the article also an English translation for non Japanse, like international media, was missing.

Govt. raps WSJ criticism of PM's Thai-language speech, #1^

A little Opposition mischief making again?

I suspect so.

In a backhanded way trying to diminish Ms. Y., knowing full well British born Abhi's language proficiency.

To highlight this little tidbit - a seven-minute speech for heaven's sake - says it all.

".............during her visit to Japan, after an article in The Wall Street Journal criticised Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's decision not to address the audience in English.

Complaining about not speaking English in a Japanese forumn....a bit of a reach.

For this 'diminishment' to have traction, it needed English language as the put-down.

"Thani also questioned the reporter's motive in writing the article. "I sincerely hope this is not the direction to be taken by a respected newspaper such as yours," he concluded"

This gets at a question of who's "motive"?

It is well known by many, that the foreign media socializes and lives in the world of the Amart, when in Thailand.

They have little understanding of the mostly unilingual world of the PTP/UDD/Red Shirts.

As a result, for example, when speaking to Europeans politically astute contacts, who nevertheless follow their domestic media reports on Thailand, it is often like talking to PADites.

So this instance of a foreign reporter dumping on Ms. Y, indicated to me he/she is following the impulses of her buddies.

"The report also noted that US-educated Yingluck could have chosen to speak in English. "It could be, though, that Ms Yingluck wasn't entirely confident in English. A video of her greeting visiting US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in Thailand last year by saying 'overcome' instead of 'welcome' got heavy play on YouTube," wrote the reporter.

And by inference, the unspoken agenda is to drive home the point that our buddy Abhi, wouldn't make this mistake.

Forgetting the little fact he couldn't win a Thai election, if his life depended on it.

You can go on rambling all you like,and projecting blame in all and sundry directions, the fact is the the Japanese came away from this very important meeting,without any clue what it was all about,and what Thailands plans are to contain future floods.

So don't expect the Japanese to start rebuilding their businesses,any time soon on the strength of this incompetent, third rate charade.

Edited by MAJIC

DP#25^

Wow.

You and I live in a different Universe, assuming we are both in Thailand.

Ms. Y and the PTP are stronger than ever, due to the governing competence they have shown thus far.

Should this continue, their re-election is guaranteed.

Perhaps an analysis (if it was ever done) comparing Thailand's management of this disaster, compared to how other nations have managed their national disasters of similar magnitude, may show that Thailand under Ms. Y' stewardship did pretty dam_n well.

Certainly her hard work and empithatic leadership was second to none.

I hear that over and over...disagreement characterized as trolling.

Is it possible to disagree and the opinion be accepted as such, and considered on its merits?

Regarding the 'foreign guy' thing.......this is a political discussion board filled with inconsequential idiot political junkies like myself.

That is what political junkies do....and hope there is significant enough diversity of opinions to avoid banal uniformity, group-think.

I do my best to contribute to such a scenario, mostly focussed on the message and not the messenger..

Obviously you and I disagree about Ms. Y's competence.

She has impressed the hell out of me.

The way she has skated through the pressures coming from all the various elements of the Opposition, yet retain the fervent allegiance of the constituancy who elected her...decidedly not from the ranks of those Oppositional elements.

I think your very last line should be how she avoided or ducked and weaved through the pressures.

Can you add me to the list of people who live on a different universe to you. Thanks.

• Like 1

A little Opposition mischief making again? I suspect so. In a backhanded way trying to diminish Ms. Y., knowing full well British born Abhi's language proficiency. To highlight this little tidbit - a seven-minute speech for heaven's sake - says it all.

".............during her visit to Japan, after an article in The Wall Street Journal criticised Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's decision not to address the audience in English.

Complaining about not speaking English in a Japanese forumn....a bit of a reach. For this 'diminishment' to have traction, it needed English language as the put-down.

"Thani also questioned the reporter's motive in writing the article. "I sincerely hope this is not the direction to be taken by a respected newspaper such as yours," he concluded"

This gets at a question of who's "motive"? It is well known by many, that the foreign media socializes and lives in the world of the Amart, when in Thailand. They have little understanding of the mostly unilingual world of the PTP/UDD/Red Shirts. As a result, for example, when speaking to Europeans politically astute contacts, who nevertheless follow their domestic media reports on Thailand, it is often like talking to PADites. So this instance of a foreign reporter dumping on Ms. Y, indicated to me he/she is following the impulses of her buddies.

"The report also noted that US-educated Yingluck could have chosen to speak in English. "It could be, though, that Ms Yingluck wasn't entirely confident in English. A video of her greeting visiting US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in Thailand last year by saying 'overcome' instead of 'welcome' got heavy play on YouTube," wrote the reporter.

And by inference, the unspoken agenda is to drive home the point that our buddy Abhi, wouldn't make this mistake. Forgetting the little fact he couldn't win a Thai election, if his life depended on it.

Seems quite a ridiculous conclusion. Can you explain why/how this is mischief making by the opposition? What are they doing, paying off journalists from the WSJ to write derogatory remarks rolleyes.gif

Maybe the PAD has also hired Amsterdam...

A little Opposition mischief making again?

I suspect so.

In a backhanded way trying to diminish Ms. Y., knowing full well British born Abhi's language proficiency.

To highlight this little tidbit - a seven-minute speech for heaven's sake - says it all.

Complaining about not speaking English in a Japanese forumn....a bit of a reach.

For this 'diminishment' to have traction, it needed English language as the put-down.

This gets at a question of who's "motive"?

It is well known by many, that the foreign media socializes and lives in the world of the Amart, when in Thailand.

They have little understanding of the mostly unilingual world of the PTP/UDD/Red Shirts.

As a result, for example, when speaking to Europeans politically astute contacts, who nevertheless follow their domestic media reports on Thailand, it is often like talking to PADites.

So this instance of a foreign reporter dumping on Ms. Y, indicated to me he/she is following the impulses of her buddies.

And by inference, the unspoken agenda is to drive home the point that our buddy Abhi, wouldn't make this mistake.

Forgetting the little fact he couldn't win a Thai election, if his life depended on it.

You can go on rambling all you like,and projecting blame in all and sundry directions, the fact is the the Japanese came away from this very important meeting,without any clue what it was all about,and what Thailands plans are to contain future floods.So don't expect the Japanese to start rebuilding their businesses,any time soon on the strength of this incompetent, third rate charade.

I'm sure a seven minute speech will have zero effect on investments decisions.

It was merely a short introductory prelude, to a networking session between stakeholders.

She could have been speaking Tongolese for all such introductory comments amount to, prior to the real work beginning.

But as inconsequential as it was, highlighting it served another purpose, which we can all speculate about.

I have speculated it was intended for Ms. Y diminishment.

Edited by CalgaryII