Govt Raps WSJ Criticism Of PM Yingluck's Thai-Language Speech

webfact

Talking about the PM going to Kentucky State U. This is a former all black college and is still a primarily a black teachers college of primarily 2600 students. It has a low freshman rentention rating as also a low rating on finishing education towards a bach. degree. How she recieved a masters here is beyond me, especially with low English communication skills.

• Like 2

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking about the PM going to Kentucky State U. This is a former all black college and is still a primarily a black teachers college of primarily 2600 students. It has a low freshman rentention rating as also a low rating on finishing education towards a bach. degree. How she recieved a masters here is beyond me, especially with low English communication skills.

Maybe it was an honorary degree in return for some philanthropic gesture or donation similar to some of those phds fellows have. I'd imagine the attendance records would prove me wrong though. Either way it's completely acceptable to lose some language ability once leaving a country and immersion in that language and therefore I'm sure everything is legitimate and above board.

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

The focus seems to be the protocol surrounding delivery of the speech in Thai, and expecting non-Thais to sit through it without concurrent translation into their own language, is it not?

Yes and Yings staff screwed up big time in not getting that out. Good that a WSJ reporter commented in print on this so they can shift a little blame on the yanks for being dweebs. Of course I imagine LOTS of other jounos noted the same thing but they are from minor countries of no import (read Euro land)

She may be more proficient in "Jive" (AAVE).

It doesn't look like a particular rigourous curriculum....... to say the least.

Asian Affairs

Kentucky State University has a program of residential study for International students, focusing on development of skills in English cheesy.gif , exposure to American university academic content cheesy.gif , and an experience of American culture cheesy.gif .

Maybe it was an honorary degree in return for some philanthropic gesture or donation similar to some of those phds fellows have. I'd imagine the attendance records would prove me wrong though. Either way it's completely acceptable to lose some language ability once leaving a country and immersion in that language and therefore I'm sure everything is legitimate and above board.

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

Maybe this and maybe that.

Off topic posts removed, Posts bringing HM the King removed and formal warnings issued.

You WILL NOT bring HM the King into a political discussion, further such posts will result in immediate suspension

Asian Affairs

Kentucky State University has a program of residential study for International students, focusing on development of skills in English cheesy.gif , exposure to American university academic content cheesy.gif , and an experience of American culture cheesy.gif .

From KSU giving information on the requirements necessary for a Masters Degree in Public Administration.

http://www.kysu.edu/academics/collegesAndSchools/collegeofprofessionalstudies/PASWCJ/schoolOfPublicAdministration/publicadministrationmastersdegree.htm

Presently rated world wide at 3,365th place.

4icu.org/reviews

collegeprowler.com

Academics

"This school is not rated in this subject"

Abhisit Vejjajiva educated at Oxford University, World Wide Ranking 4/5th - currently Opposition Party Leader

(formerly PM by default but never voted in as a result of an election by the Thai voters)

Yingluck Shinawatra educated at Kentucky State University, World Wide Ranking 3,365th - Prime Minister Thailand

Guess there's more to politics than just a "good" degree?

Would that be that nepotism trumps qualifications? Yay!?

How many examples of family politics do you want? Gandhi, Aquino,Kennedy,Bush,Pitt,Benn,Aung San Suu Kyi, thankfully not Thatcher........(Yay! and other childish exclamations)

How many examples of family politics do you want? Gandhi, Aquino,Kennedy,Bush,Pitt,Benn,Aung San Suu Kyi, thankfully not Thatcher........(Yay! and other childish exclamations)

Smart, avoiding to touch the "qualifications" part like the plague.

Complaints complaints and more complaints......has anyone complained when Obama spoke English to Chinese, Japanese and Russian audiences.

Or when Japan PM, Russia President/PM, France President all gave their speech in their respective mothers' tongue....

For a proper analogy, you fail to recognize that Obama doesn't possess a Masters degree obtained in the native language from a Chinese, Japanese, OR Russian university.

Additionally, you also fail to recognize that the Japanese PM, Russian President, and French President don't possess a Masters degree obtained from an English-language university.

Yingluck has a obtained a Masters Degree conducted in the English language. For some zany reason, people logically conclude then that she should be able to speak English.

Doesn't really make much sense and the Master's Degree comments are just plain silly.There are many reasons for leaders to speak their own language when overseas.Jaques Chirac spke English perfectly well but hardly ever used it overseas.De Gaulle was the same.

Japanese executives tend to speak as little English as they do Thai.None of them complained.The fault was of course not to have provided simultaneous Thai -Japanese translation for which Thai Foreign Ministry officials/PM's staff should be blamed.But it's a storm in a teacup, much ado about nothing very much.

Checking out the social media this morning it was amusing to note that the hysterical criticism from Bangkok urbanites of Yingluck for this little embarassment, came from those whose own English was studded with errors of grammar, spelling and syntax.It was ever thus.

Smart, avoiding to touch the "qualifications" part like the plague.

Indira Gandhi failed the Oxford Entrance exam and never completed a degree, Corazon Aquino, studied law for 1 year at a university that her sisters' inlaws owned, Aung San Suu Kyi actually has a degree in politics from an Indian University and Thatcher was just a @#*?&.

Happy now?

She is incompetent and a bad influence on Thai children who are told to learn and speek english on a daily basis, Her english is on a level par with a first grader.

Pity you cannot spell English correctly, nor understand where capital letters should be used , nor is your use of English Grammar totally delightful, trying to inject some humour into your inane diatribe

Afarang...... your use of a capital letter in 'grammar' in the context of your sentence is delightfully amusing!

As for Yingluck she is more aware than anyone that her English is poor and so she took the less embarrassing option of speaking in Thai.

Edited by bigbamboo

Asian Affairs

From KSU giving information on the requirements necessary for a Masters Degree in Public Administration.

http://www.kysu.edu/...stersdegree.htm

While it isn't one of the "core" classes for Khun Yingluck's advanced degree it is one of the peripheral classes. I would love to be in attendance one day when Khun Yingluck gives a dissertation on "Applied Advanced Statistical Methods". Probably one of the few classes her almost non-existant English language abilities might have got her by. Assuming she can do the course of course.

Edited by lannarebirth

As previously noted, this was a non-issue, a minor article.

It was before the FM started attacking WSJ.

One almost gets the impression that PTP salts these articles for people to get exercised over nothing when the whole country is being fleeced in the meantime.

• Like 1

The fault was of course not to have provided simultaneous Thai -Japanese translation for which Thai Foreign Ministry officials/PM's staff should be blamed.

The problem with having a translator, as they most likely rightly surmised beforehand, is that people can then ask questions through the translator that she is unable to answer. Safer to just give a speech in Thai and handout in Japanese.

The fault was of course not to have provided simultaneous Thai -Japanese translation for which Thai Foreign Ministry officials/PM's staff should be blamed.

The problem with having a translator, as they most likely rightly surmised beforehand, is that people can then ask questions through the translator that she is unable to answer. Safer to just give a speech in Thai and handout in Japanese.

Of course. You know that, I know that and so do they. She's an airhead shill and there's not much to be done about it now. Next!

waiste of money to go there, just send an email or fax instead... if she cannot speak english in a descent matter, but i guess most japanese cannot speak english either, as they also see themself as the best possible people in the world

She's an airhead shill and there's not much to be done about it now. Next!

Actually you have no evidence for that.In fact so far her record has been surprisingly effective.

You could legitimately argue she is just a cypher for her elder brother.That has justification in fact.

She's obviously no intellectual but airhead? Still for some any old insult will do.

And a polite suggestion.It is rather well known that to end a post with the aggressive "Next !" simply suggests a rather unsophisticated approach to debate.

You seem to be unfamiliar with Japanese business etiquette.It would not be normal or even good manners to grill a visting and friendly VIP.No the answer to this rather commonplace and over discussed matter is just old fashioned cockup by Thai officials.

Actually you have no evidence for that.In fact so far her record has been surprisingly effective.

You could legitimately argue she is just a cypher for her elder brother.That has justification in fact.

She's obviously no intellectual but airhead? Still for some any old insult will do.

And a polite suggestion.It is rather well known that to end a post with the aggressive "Next !" simply suggests a rather unsophisticated approach to debate.

Birds of a feather it seems.

Actually, while you may claim I have no evidence, and I admit I haven't met Yingluck, I have met Potjaman, and Yaowapa and Yaowarat and Payap . All they ever talked about was money. They seem to be your vulgar icons.

Actually, while you may claim I have no evidence, and I admit I haven't met Yingluck, I have met Potjaman, and Yaowapa and Yaowarat and Payap . All they ever talked about was money. They seem to be your vulgar icons.

Well in that case you should restrict comments to what you purport to know rather than make lazy easily disproved false assertions about the PM.

And since when did any wealthy Sino-Thai not have money other than an absorbing interest?

Well in that case you should restrict comments to what you purport to know rather than make lazy easily disproved false assertions about the PM.

And since when did any wealthy Sino-Thai not have money other than an absorbing interest?

Is your family affiliated with the Shinawatras? Your posts indicate that you actually do have knowledge and you're not talking out of your butt unlike a few others.

Indira Gandhi failed the Oxford Entrance exam and never completed a degree, Corazon Aquino, studied law for 1 year at a university that her sisters' inlaws owned, Aung San Suu Kyi actually has a degree in politics from an Indian University and Thatcher was just a @#*?&.

Margaret Thatcher attained a BSc from Oxford University. Cory Aquino attended St Scholastica's, an expensive women's college in Metro Manila, but graduated from the College of Mount St Vincent, New York City.

Are you like one of those Grecian expats that just doesn't give a shit because your life will be better regardless?

Margaret Thatcher attained a BSc from Oxford University.

No she didn't.Despite studying chemistry,she graduated as a Bachelor of Arts which was upgraded in the usual Oxford manner to Master of Arts (no additional examinations).