Govt Raps WSJ Criticism Of PM Yingluck's Thai-Language Speech

webfact

The idea that Wall Streert Journal reporting in japan is coming from Thailands Democratic Headquarters

and the 'Amart in Thailand' is absurd. Just another vain attempt to spin an neutrally unflattering story about Madam PM into an anti-Dem rant for nothing more than partisanship.

This doesn't even get a 'nice try' just NO SALE.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think her brothers decision to have her give his speech in Thai was very wise . Have you heard her Engrish?

A drive-by smear of Ms. Y.

I admit her English isn't that great, but the brother decision thing, is certainly agenda without foundation in this instance.

Can' t a guy give a compliment? huh.png

As someone said earlier - they should have sent an e-mail, would have left a better impression on Japanese than watching her talking for seven minutes to them in a language they don't understand. This is just dumb, boring, and extremely unprofessional, even rude.

And her main point was to convince them to put trust in her promises that her government can protect their investments from flood? She should have at least made those promises in a language they understand.

It doesn't matter what her supporters feel about this - what matters is the effect she made on Japanese investors, and from another report it appeared they were not convinced even before this episode.

Its obvious is it not, if they fielded a translator she may had to field some impromtu questions from the businessmen, and then the farce would have been blown, she knows nothing about the subject in hand.

What I got out of this topic is that the WSJ still exists. I have to agree with 'CalgaryII' about the motives for the theme of the article. Isn't about time the Democratic Party members get real jobs and try to do something positive rather than gear all their efforts to lining their pockets?

Maybe a little positive feed back once in a while. The whole mess reminds me of bickering children on a school grounds. Even the poor Thais (voters too) recognize the immature quibbling that goes on everyday. How can the Democrats ever be honestly elected if they continue to act like a bunch of privileged, spoiled children?

The ludicrous sidetracking about the democrats aside, you have to face up the fact that the reporter was there herself, and reports on Japan; not Thailand, her report is not remotely tied to domestic politics, she called it as she saw it, and the Thai government ought to be grateful for her feedback as they made such a hash of a fairly important event, dont let it happen again.

The idea that Wall Streert Journal reporting in japan is coming from Thailands Democratic Headquarters

and the 'Amart in Thailand' is absurd. Just another vain attempt to spin an neutrally unflattering story about Madam PM into an anti-Dem rant for nothing more than partisanship.

Actually, the point was that Foreign journalists in Thailand report mostly from the Amart perspective (not all btw). It is what they are most familiar with, considering their interaction with fellow domestic journalists.

I suggest that this story was not 'nuetrally unflattering', but 'agenized unflattering"............... Isn't disagreement fun!

To get a grasp and indepth understanding of the unilingual PTP/UDD/Red Shirt side of the equation, is more difficult for foreign journalists, Being BKK-centric also contributes to this imbalance.

This is not just speculation on my part. I have read many newsclippings aboutThai politics sent to me from abroad, from my fellow political junkie correspondents.

Not being sympathetic to Opposition agenda's, including those from the Democrats, is not necesarily a rant, as are those who dump all over Ms.Y/PTP/UDD/Red Shirts are also not rants, nor are they trolling.....they are opinionating, and that is what we do here.

Appreciate the diversity of opinions and non-uniformity among us idiot, inconsequential political junkies.

It is the oil that greases the wheel.

I understand 'no sale' when not in the market.

Edited by CalgaryII

Sing_Sling, #50

(The WSJ as a tool of the Dems?
laugh.pngcheesy.gif
)

Unwittingly so.

The home office accepts the reports from on-scene reporters in Thailand unquestioningly, and this is understandable.

Having read many that have been sent to me from overseas, a local yokel like me sees the bias of the social circles these foreign reporters revolve in.

Umm Calgary, the speech was given in Japan, just so you know. mfr_closed1.gif

Edited by longway

She should have emulated her brother and produced those ludicrous positive and negative signs he once waved at reporters when he thought the question was negative, after all Thaksin said his kids bought the signs in Japan. As the above poster points out, the lack of a translator was to avoid any questions, the same technique she uses in Parliament by being absent as much as possible,

She can't even face the Ombudsman regarding the Four Seasons secret meeting,

The same technique as her brother, avoid all impromptu questions as much as possible.

Actually, the point was that Foreign journalists in Thailand report mostly from the Amart perspective (not all btw). It is what they are most familiar with, considering their interaction with fellow domestic journalists.

I suggest that this story was not 'nuetrally unflattering', but 'agenized unflattering"............... Isn't disagreement fun!

To get a grasp and indepth understanding of the unilingual PTP/UDD/Red Shirt side of the equation, is more difficult for foreign journalists, Being BKK-centric also contributes to this imbalance.

This is not just speculation on my part. I have read many newsclippings aboutThai politics sent to me from abroad, from my fellow political junkie correspondents.

Not being sympathetic to Opposition agenda's, including those from the Democrats, is not necesarily a rant, as are those who dump all over Ms.Y/PTP/UDD/Red Shirts are also not rants, nor are they trolling.....they are opinionating, and that is what we do here.

Appreciate the diversity of opinions and non-uniformity among us idiot, inconsequential political junkies.

It is the oil that greases the wheel.

I understand 'no sale' when not in the market.

Foreign journalists in Japan don't report from the Thai Amart perspective.

Actually the likelihood that reporters get invited to hangout with the Amart is pretty small.

'Take my statement, now go away.' ; would be more the theme.

Edited by animatic

Sing_Sling, #50

(The WSJ as a tool of the Dems?
laugh.pngcheesy.gif
)

Unwittingly so.

The home office accepts the reports from on-scene reporters in Thailand unquestioningly, and this is understandable.

Having read many that have been sent to me from overseas, a local yokel like me sees the bias of the social circles these foreign reporters revolve in.

Umm Calgary, the speech was given in Japan, just so you know. mfr_closed1.gif

Please!

Don't let logic get in the way of a good rant! intheclub.gif

Seems a translation was provided later, after the speech. What was the point of it then? She's not able to read english off of a bit of paper for 7 minutes? It's not that difficult and doesn't set a good example for english language learning in this country, or confidence for Japanese investors!

did i not read recently that this was to be the year when all thai students were to be able to speak english, i did see a sign to this effect in CMU a few weeks ago - so would it not be a good idea that the leader led by example, especially on the international stage or am i missing something

Seems a translation was provided later, after the speech. What was the point of it then? She's not able to read english off of a bit of paper for 7 minutes? It's not that difficult and doesn't set a good example for english language learning in this country, or confidence for Japanese investors!

did i not read recently that this was to be the year when all thai students were to be able to speak english, i did see a sign to this effect in CMU a few weeks ago - so would it not be a good idea that the leader led by example, especially on the international stage or am i missing something

It was japanese stage.

From the OP:

Thani also questioned the reporter's motive in writing the article. "I sincerely hope this is not the direction to be taken by a respected newspaper such as yours," he concluded.

Did he also say "I wouldn't like to see anybody from that newspaper assaulted."?

From the OP:

Thani also questioned the reporter's motive in writing the article. "I sincerely hope this is not the direction to be taken by a respected newspaper such as yours," he concluded.

Did he also say "I wouldn't like to see anybody from that newspaper assaulted."?

Not necessary.

The coupist aggressors are not exercised over this seven minute speech.

'sides, they got elected out of primacy.

Is her brother banned from Japan? If not, why didn't he go and make the speech?

Actually, he is banned from Japan being a convicted criminal. His recent visit was a result of special pleading by the Thai government.

A political exile criminalized by self-serving coupists......not a convicted criminal as they would like to project.

But never mind, this is not a Thaksin thread.

Not a convicted criminal? We weren't aware that money laundering only became an offence after 2006. Well maybe it was in a parallel Thai universe inhabited by the red tin foil set. Jeez I mean trying to justify giving a speech in Thai without organising simultaneous translation. Got to get a medal for that. What exactly was the worth of a degree taken in the English language if she can't speak it? Well, not much apparently. Looks like the Thai PM isn't really up to it. However she does inspire heroic defence from our forum Shinawatra Praetorian Guard. Dear me!

I have been to many conferences in Japan. There should not have been a problem with giving the speech in Thai because nearly always the organizers provide simultaneous translators. Maybe they could not find a Thai/Japanese translator, but I doubt that.

More likely the Foreign Ministry or whichever Thai body was organizing her giving the speech, mucked up.

Maybe her new "right hand" man - the last PM's cousin - made an Amart type of booboo eh Calgary II?

Is her brother banned from Japan? If not, why didn't he go and make the speech?

Actually, he is banned from Japan being a convicted criminal. His recent visit was a result of special pleading by the Thai government.

A political exile criminalized by self-serving coupists......not a convicted criminal as they would like to project.

But never mind, this is not a Thaksin thread.

Not a convicted criminal? We weren't aware that money laundering only became an offence after 2006. Well maybe it was in a parallel Thai universe inhabited by the red tin foil set. Jeez I mean trying to justify giving a speech in Thai without organising simultaneous translation. Got to get a medal for that. What exactly was the worth of a degree taken in the English language if she can't speak it? Well, not much apparently. Looks like the Thai PM isn't really up to it. However she does inspire heroic defence from our forum Shinawatra Praetorian Guard. Dear me!

Can't speak English it or has to speak it

Sound a bit like the speak english of die guard.

The reporter seemed to think that because she attended university in the USA Yingluck would be able to speak English. Poor misguided soul.

Indeed, anyone who attended university in the USA would be unable to speak English!!!!jap.gif

"The report also noted that US-educated Yingluck could have chosen to speak in English."

I really do not believe that she has studied in the U.S.

which college?

Maybe it was one of those internet college, you pay 50 usd and you get your diploma.

Kentucky State University

"The report also noted that US-educated Yingluck could have chosen to speak in English."

I really do not believe that she has studied in the U.S.

which college?

Maybe it was one of those internet college, you pay 50 usd and you get your diploma.

No, you get 50 USD diploma's at Oxford.

But includes a silver spoon.

From the OP:

No, but he also didn't say "I like green M & M's" either as far as I know but he might have, sorry what was your point?

Hi all.

Again Calgary gets on his high horse and blames all of his heroe's troubles on coupist's, Dont forget it was Thaksin's own people in power when he was convicted and ran away like a coward, And all the cases waiting to be heard are of his own doing,

changing laws etc to suit his own family business. I can only think that our friend Calgary is onto a good monthly paycheque.

Amsterdam..Calgary Sell their grandmother down the river for money. both the same.

phupaman.

• Like 1

TallGuyJohninBK, #8^

"All the linguistic issues aside, the real issue here is how did the Japanese business community respond to Thailand's pitch about its future flood control measures?

Unfortunately, the news post in this thread gives absolutely no clue on that issue, which will help determine whether lots of Japanese manufacturing companies keep their operations here in Thailand with all their employment of Thai workers"

A comment which drives home my point, that this article was not about that.

It was all about subtly diminishing Ms. Y.

Perhaps, the point is that typical protocol, when delivering a foreign language speech in a native language sovereignty, is to provide earphones and real-time translations. If the reason Thani gave was that they were saving time, why waste 7 minutes nobody could understand when copies were already handed out?

• Like 2

TallGuyJohninBK, #8^

"All the linguistic issues aside, the real issue here is how did the Japanese business community respond to Thailand's pitch about its future flood control measures?

Unfortunately, the news post in this thread gives absolutely no clue on that issue, which will help determine whether lots of Japanese manufacturing companies keep their operations here in Thailand with all their employment of Thai workers"

A comment which drives home my point, that this article was not about that.

It was all about subtly diminishing Ms. Y.

Perhaps, the point is that typical protocol, when delivering a foreign language speech in a native language sovereignty, is to provide earphones and real-time translations. If the reason Thani gave was that they were saving time, why waste 7 minutes nobody could understand when copies were already handed out?

She had to be SEEN to be delivering the canned speech,

not just make a press release handout to bigwigs.

So her carriage and delivery and veracity would be judged

by those steely Japanese conglomerate leaders.

Not something you can do while reading a hand out.

In business dealings japanese judge their potential partners manner equally to the words they hear.

Edited by animatic

Presently rated world wide at 3,365th place.

4icu.org/reviews

collegeprowler.com

Academics

"This school is not rated in this subject"

Abhisit Vejjajiva educated at Oxford University, World Wide Ranking 4/5th - currently Opposition Party Leader

(formerly PM by default but never voted in as a result of an election by the Thai voters)

Yingluck Shinawatra educated at Kentucky State University, World Wide Ranking 3,365th - Prime Minister Thailand

Guess there's more to politics than just a "good" degree?

• Like 2