Vietnam ... Can We Go There And Get A Visa At The Airport ?

Vietnam for 1 week ( flying BKK-SIAGON), Australian and Thai ... Do both of us require a pre-approval Visa letter ? We need to apply in Bangkok ?

Do we not receive a Visa exempt stamp at the airport in Vietnam on arrival ?

Thanks for any feedback ... I have read many posts on this and this is confusion on what is available .. I'm confused as well as a couple of older posters I read..

Thanks.jap.gifunsure.png

What does the Vietman consulate / Embassy website say? When I was travelling to Vietnam, this was my first point of consultation. If you have any further confusion, give them a call.

5 Years or so ago I (from the UK) required a Visa from the Vietnam Embassy, it took one day.

I'm not sure about a Thai Citizen.

Just come back from Ho Chi Minh City.

My Thai partner did not need a visa up to 30 days.

I (Australian) had to get a visa on entry, but you need to apply online before you go.

The application form online cost $US20 and another $US25 for stamp on arrival.

They said that i had to fill in 2 forms with pic's. But were not interested in the 2nd one on arrival

Just come back from Ho Chi Minh City.

My Thai partner did not need a visa up to 30 days.

I (Australian) had to get a visa on entry, but you need to apply online before you go.

The application form online cost $US20 and another $US25 for stamp on arrival.

They said that i had to fill in 2 forms with pic's. But were not interested in the 2nd one on arrival

By the way, it is advisable to take $US. they are used for everything.

thanks oldsailor, clear as crystal ... Australian needs a completed application ( available on-line ) & a thai needs nothing ! Also, take $US ....

very heplful ... i'm going to Phu Quoc for a few days .. should be good.

cheers.wai.gif

• 1 month later...

Actually that's not true.Whilst you might see prices quoted in USD for some things-e.g. hotel prices in Saigon or other big cities,that's only for comparison,it's actually illegal in Vietnam to charge in anything other than VND.Certainly in smaller towns,and off the tourist trail,you never see USD,all prices are in VND.You might be able to use USD in larger cities,but you won't get a very favourable exchange rate.it's quite easy to exchange any major currency in banks in Vietnam,and all ATM's(of which there are many) dispense VND

Actually that's not true.Whilst you might see prices quoted in USD for some things-e.g. hotel prices in Saigon or other big cities,that's only for comparison,it's actually illegal in Vietnam to charge in anything other than VND.Certainly in smaller towns,and off the tourist trail,you never see USD,all prices are in VND.You might be able to use USD in larger cities,but you won't get a very favourable exchange rate.it's quite easy to exchange any major currency in banks in Vietnam,and all ATM's(of which there are many) dispense VND

id

Not correct, just returned from Vietnam. Many venues quote in US$ and Dong. e.g. Nha Trang, Hoi An and Sapa. When paying in US$ change provided in Dong at around 20,700 dong to the $. Of course some places quote a poor exchange rate, then pay in Dong