Thai Taxi Meter Rates Set To Increase In Mid-April

webfact

I wish they had considered regulating the rental price of the taxi to the driver.

While the yellow/green taxis are operated as a company, the solid-colour ones are rented to the driver at a daily rate. If you just increase the per km or flagfall, the owners will just get out their calculator again and raise the rental price. This is what happened last time.

Cheers

my uncle owns his single colored cab. in all cases all companies do rent out their cabs to drivers between 500 and 1000 baht / day depending on the car's condition.

as far as I know there is no cabbie employed by any company.

No problems with the fare increase in any way but get the feeling that raising the start fare to around 50 baht will only increase the number of refusals. Better put it on the mileage to make it more attractive to the driver for long journeys.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I think if the starting price goes up the refusal rate will go up dramaticly. This is obvious.hit-the-fan.gif

refusal is not meter or distance induced , its timeframe induced . Most taxis who refuse a fare do it because they have to bring back the taxi to the company so they'd rather stay in the vincinity for fear of being fined if they are late ...

Bangkok taxis have meters? Most of my journeys seem to start with "no meter".

Not sure where you are using taxis but in 5 or 6 years, i have never once had a taxi who tried to scam me or tried to not use the meter.

Sometimes it works in our favour.

I took a taxi from Khao San road the other night back to Bang Na. He said two hundred baht. I agreed. It would of cost twice that on the meter!!

Ok Bang Na is big but... I never pay more than 160 to get there from Khao San. On the meter.

a 50 kilometers journey from rachada to nong chok costs between 290 and 325 baht depending if you go through the motorway or through suwintawong .... khao san - bangna costing 400 baht is very off!

Bangkok taxis have meters? Most of my journeys seem to start with "no meter".

when I get a taxi in BKK, I always tell them "meter please". if they don't want to use the meter, I don't use them. it's very simple, not rocket science.

the startling price of a cab will be maintained at 35 baht

Obviously some people are more easily startled than others.

You obviously have not tried to get a METER CAB in Pattaya. They refuse to even start the meter,

And they will TELL YOU. "NO, we don't use meter". And they know nothing can be done, because "metered taxis" (a misnomer) are only on Pattaya streets because of an agreement with the baht bus mafia ... and to prevent the meters setting defacto rates for certain routes, they agreed not to use the meters.

when I ws in Pattaya a few years ago, a young, British tourist (early 20's) waved down a baht taxi and wanted a ride to the bus station (we were on secodn road). the driver told him "100 baht". he got into an argument with the driver (as the rest of us, 5 or 6 people, patiently waited). he wanted to only pay 50 baht. after sitting there, listening to the guy argue, I leaned out and told him "just pay the guy, we are waiting to go". he did not seem to understand that, the driver would lose fares by driving just him to the bus station. Just take a frigging motor bike taxi.

Will they also increase their knowledge of their own city roads\sois? And the ability to speak English - regardless the pink sticker "Come on farang - Yes we can speak English!"?

That is the sticker, next to the GPS sticker, right?

Totally agree with the consensus. The taxis are a real bargain here and - comparing the price with the quality of the cars - it probably represents the best value in pretty much any city I have ever been in. Manila fares are cheaper, but the cars are truly awful. Hong Kong cars are fine and cheap for the fact it's a first world city, but the starting meter price of HKD 20 translates to around 80 baht. I was in Beijing at the weekend, and the starting price there is RMB10 or around 48 baht, but again the quality of the cars is nothing like Bkk.

I'd ber very happy to see the starting fare hiked to 45 baht.

Lots of comments from farang about how cheap taxis are in Bangkok (which is true compared to many cities), but missing the point that 99% of passengers are Thai and for most Thais taxis are not cheap at all.

Also lots of comments about 'never had a problem with cheating / not turn on the meter etc in 20 years'. Again their's the Thai customers analysis of Taxi drivers. for example, my adult Thai son forbids his wife to travel in a taxi alone after dark because of fear of molestation etc., (his wife agrees). Luckily we can make other arrangements.

We had a nanny for many years, If we asked her to work late it was automatic that she slept at our place overnight, and this was at the request of her husband, same reason.

The company I worked with for 10 years in BKK had a policy, no female staff (at any level) allowed to take taxis home after dark, always used reliable and trustworthy company drivers, and drivers had strict instructions to ensure the passenger was inside her front door before he departed.

I would suggest that all females, when entering a taxi, either call or pretend to call a friend and, loudly enough for the drive to hear, give the taxi # and driver's name over the phone. That should put the driver on notice that he will be suspect @ 1 if something amiss happens.

There is another side to this discussion.

As someone who drives and having spoken to a great many Thai motorists, the general opinion is that there are far too many taxis on the roads. They are generally a pain in the neck for other motorists as they behave in the same way as many taxi drivers around the world. they think they own the road and tend to drive irresponsibly.

As far as taxi passengers go, the general opinion is that, for the most part, they don't deserve any more money, as many taxi drivers come from other parts of Thailand and don't know where they are going, some are bad tempered and often refuse to go to certain places.

If they want more money, they should give a better service.

Raising the prices is fair. Taxi's here are super cheap and they deserve a price hike. Limiting the number of taxis would suck though. One thing I like about this place is not having to wait more then a few minutes to get a cab if I have to wait at all.

Perhaps there are too many taxis on the road but on a personal note, I find it very convenient not to have to wait under the hot sun for a taxi. There's usually one available easily and that to me is one part of 'good' service. Not having to wait too long for something.

You can't really blame the taxi driver for refusing to go to certain places. The main thing here is the traffic jams. Have you sat in a taxi in a traffic jam? The meter hardly moves while you're stuck forever on the road. From a business point a view, it just isn't worth it to pick up a passenger and get paid peanuts because of the traffic. Sure they're not supposed to do that but still, you have to empathise with them. They already make so little. If they're stuck in traffic for an hour, how much do they actually make from the ride? Now if they were to raise prices and make the meter jump a little more while the taxi doesn't move then maybe you'll have less taxi drivers not wanting to take you to certain parts of the city.

As for them driving irresponsibly. Well, it's the same even in places like Singapore. Perhaps it's worse here but to be fair, I think taxi drivers being <deleted> on the road are universal.

The taxis in the lower Sukhumvit area are constantly causing traffic jams, as they love to use atleast two lanes for parking, waiting, turning and so on. Its just too many of them.

Actually its illegal to not accepting a certain destination. If they won't go somewhere, its something wrong with the system. Too low waiting-rates?

my wife told me that, when you give a driver a destination where he does not want to go, he will refuse to turn on the meter and give you a very high flat rate. we had a taxi driver take us from the Mochit bus station to the BTS station, usually about 40-45 THB and he went some round about way and the meters had 100 THB on it when we arrived. My wife started yelling at him when the fare hit 50 THB. he explained to her that there was heavy traffic because of an accident the short way. when we arrived at the BTS station, my wife talked with anotehr Thai and verified that traffic was very tied up a few blocks away. If I had been alone, I would have not understood that because my Thai is limited. I asked why he did not tell us that before hand and she just shrugged. paying the extra 50 THB was worth it not to sit in traffic for 30 minutes. But, I was greatful that he got us there quickly.

the only real problem I have had with a taxi was about 10 or 12 years ago. I had arrived at Don Muang and was taking a taxi to Pattaya. About 10 minutes out of the airport, he turned into a gas station and there was a long line for LP. he started driving about and, every station had a long line for LP. about 30 minutes into the drive, I saw Don Muang about 3 or 4 kilometers to my left. I told him the next station we came to, let me out and I would jump into the first empty taxi in the LP line. He then switched from his LP tank to his gasoline tank. I know that LP is much cheaper than gasoline but, I was tire dof the long plane ride and now a 90 minute taxi ride was turning into a longer drive. after that, before I get into a cab at the airport, if it's a long drive, I always check the fuel gauge.

If they raised it to 50 baht they would surely see a massive drop off in customers. Well over half my taxis are easy walking distance but I'm being a lazy sod. A 50 baht fare gives me just enough incentive to walk it. And surely the average thai is even more sensitive to that sort of price hike given their earn.

Edited by lennois

No problems with the fare increase in any way but get the feeling that raising the start fare to around 50 baht will only increase the number of refusals. Better put it on the mileage to make it more attractive to the driver for long journeys.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I think if the starting price goes up the refusal rate will go up dramaticly. This is obvious.hit-the-fan.gif

I don't know why you lot get refused so often. Maybe they just don't want you in their cabs. Most of my journeys are around 40 baht and I never get refused. They either get 40 baht for a short journey or nothing, so why would they turn me down. You must hang around very tourist areas.

How do you know how many times I've been refused, I merely said that I get the feeling that refusals will do up, then again they may not. I don,t live in Bangkok full time but have had the experience of trying to get back to the house on the outskirts has resulted in some refusals, whether I've asked in Thai or English. If and when it does happen I just say thanks and walk to the next taxi.

By the way I gave up on the tourist areas a good few years ago. I'm too old and grumpy nowadays and see them for what they are.

Last line was just to try and promote a response.jap.gif

Edited by overherebc

Sometimes it works in our favour.

I took a taxi from Khao San road the other night back to Bang Na. He said two hundred baht. I agreed. It would of cost twice that on the meter!!

Khaosan to Big C Bang Na wouldn't have cost 400 baht. The distance is around 20 km. I know that 17 km in a taxi at night (with almost no traffic) costs around 170 baht. So 200 baht actually sounds right.

It's a good idea to raise the prices for Farangs only because their currency has value. Normal Thai people can continue to pay an old rate since it will impact them more.

It's funny you should say that because I was thinking the same thing, but then I realised what I was thinking and I had to think again!

It's ok for those of us who consider a B100, B200, B300 taxi ride acceptable but those are the kinds of numbers that many many regular Thais are earning in wages each day, and those unlucky souls who can't afford taxis either have to take an intoxicating & sweaty tuktuk ride, a dangerous and manic motocy journey, a packed bus journey or at the worst have to snug up to 20+ other construction workers in the back of a dangerously laden pickup truck - The Metro & BTS are a different story, they mostly cater to city workers and the like.

The thing we need to consider is this; back in my home country most people complain about the prices we have to pay for pretty much everything but we get a lot back comparitively, fortunately we earn salaries which can cope with increases(in certain circumstances), does Thailand want to go the same way? regulating and increasing and making it even more difficult for the regular Thai to afford the things we all take for granted?

So how can this be sorted amicably for all? As has been mentioned previously, the rate for taxi rental could be restricted, but whart is the real answer to please the masses?...

"The Ministry will set a limit on the number of cabs so that taxis do not outnumber passengers."

Well, this is the same authority setting the new pricing - good luck to all of us. Bangkok's taxis are anyhow among the cheapest on the planet which explains smaller wheels and faster meters for the last 20 years. In the old days you bargained the fare and, if you were lucky and grabbed an old Toyopet with a Nippon Denso airconditioner which got fitted later you topped another 20 Baht for the air.

spmaller wheels don't make any difference as the axle is similar on most cars, the meter is not fixed on the wheels ...lol

How many revolutions would a 10cm wheel do compared to a 100cm wheel over a 1km journey? the meter is rated on revolutions of the axle so the smaller the wheel the more axle revolutions, did I really need to point that out?.....'lol'

The public transportation with respect to the buses and the skytrain work for me, of course the motorcycle taxies are great for short distances too. No matter where you live in BKK, it pays to get to know these motorcycle taxi gals and guys and use them consistently so they get to know you consistently & won't jerk you around. Tuk Tuk don't even make the list; once bit twice shy as they say. There have been many times I have gotten out of a cab coz they refuse to put the meter on; even a 50 Baht meter starting rate will not change some of these drivers. coffee1.gif

"The Ministry will set a limit on the number of cabs so that taxis do not outnumber passengers."

Well, this is the same authority setting the new pricing - good luck to all of us. Bangkok's taxis are anyhow among the cheapest on the planet which explains smaller wheels and faster meters for the last 20 years. In the old days you bargained the fare and, if you were lucky and grabbed an old Toyopet with a Nippon Denso airconditioner which got fitted later you topped another 20 Baht for the air.

spmaller wheels don't make any difference as the axle is similar on most cars, the meter is not fixed on the wheels ...lol

How many revolutions would a 10cm wheel do compared to a 100cm wheel over a 1km journey? the meter is rated on revolutions of the axle so the smaller the wheel the more axle revolutions, did I really need to point that out?.....'lol'

why didn't I think of this before , that is why all the bangkok taxis are equiped with rollerskate wheels then its so easy to cheat and yet no one does it in a coutry where cheating is a ways of life,.... stupid of me !

• 1 month later...

my wife told me that, when you give a driver a destination where he does not want to go, he will refuse to turn on the meter and give you a very high flat rate. we had a taxi driver take us from the Mochit bus station to the BTS station, usually about 40-45 THB and he went some round about way and the meters had 100 THB on it when we arrived. My wife started yelling at him when the fare hit 50 THB. he explained to her that there was heavy traffic because of an accident the short way. when we arrived at the BTS station, my wife talked with anotehr Thai and verified that traffic was very tied up a few blocks away. If I had been alone, I would have not understood that because my Thai is limited. I asked why he did not tell us that before hand and she just shrugged. paying the extra 50 THB was worth it not to sit in traffic for 30 minutes. But, I was greatful that he got us there quickly.

I am a bit outside BKK where the Taxis are more nice.

One street has regularly traffic jam and the Driver always asks me if I allow them to go around (more far).

Others ask me which way...stay in the traffic or go around.

Often it is like stay in the traffic jam for 20 min. or go around 30 min.....

Will they also increase their knowledge of their own city roads\sois? And the ability to speak English - regardless the pink sticker "Come on farang - Yes we can speak English!"?

That is the sticker, next to the GPS sticker, right?

1418609544_c87c94c6d6_z.jpg?zz=1

The accompanying material to that DTAC campaign had (possibly offensive) caricatures of foreigners that looked like space aliens.

Why not 100 Baht flat rate anywhere to anywhere in Bangkok, buffet style.

This ensure the driver use the shortest route.

Also avoid the "no meter" or "fixed meter" problem.

I bring my gps with me, they always check it out and know what it is. I never say anything even if it looks like they are going out of the way (I figure they have a reason), but they NEVER do it, maybe once in a blue moon. That little gps pays for itself though, no doubt.

Excellent news, both for the honest and hard-working majority of drivers, but especially in regulating their numbers, at least in theory.

Unfortunately the latter will most likely just be a tea-money boondoggle that doesn't benefit anyone but the corrupt officials who win the franchise of overseeing the scheme.

A better idea would be to outlaw cruising in downtown areas between 7am and 7pm, but no space for taxi ranks of course.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

The accompanying material to that DTAC campaign had (possibly offensive) caricatures of foreigners that looked like space aliens.

This one?

CommunicationBreakdown.jpg

That is brilliant!!! That is exactly how many Farangs feel when they communicate with a Taxi driver......

Like I am from Mars and ask for a ride back.

New taxi fare to start in June

BANGKOK, 23 April 2012 (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport will announce a new taxi fare within June this year. The fare hike is a result of the government’s policy to raise compressed natural gas (CNG) price.

After a meeting on the new taxi fare today, Deputy Director-General of the Department of Land Transport Chirut Wisarnchit said all relevant parties agreed that the gas price hike would reduce taxi drivers’ income. He said the department would urgently conclude the new fare and submit it to the Minister of Transport for consideration within these two weeks or early May. The new fare is expected to be effective in June.

The CNG price increase will cut the drivers’ income to less than 300 baht a day, which is below the new minimum wage. According to Mr. Chirut, their income should be around 400-450 baht a day.

The deputy director-general emphasized that the new taxi fare must have minimum effects on passengers, especially those who travel by taxi for a short distance. He added that taxi drivers themselves should improve their service and confirmed the new fare would reflect the real cost of operation based on the CNG price of 10.50 baht per kilo.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-04-24

Definitely also supporting this, like a number of others in the thread. Most of the taxi drivers I've used have been great and they make next to nothing after rental and fuel prices. Meter rates haven't gone up in nearly a decade, but fuel is hardly the only consideration - there's been inflation and cost of living increases as well, yet their rates haven't gone up to reflect this. Good for them. It's still the best value for the money in SE Asia that I've seen (provided you avoid tourist trap taxis, obviously, which is incredibly simple even in tourist traps).

Edited by emilyb