Where To Get A Non-Immigrant 'O' Type Visa - Thailand Or The Uk ?

I retire end of June this year, hopefully coming to Thailand in July ( depending on sale of property in UK ). My wife's in Thailand at present living with her family. We're having a house built in Udon Thani that should also be completed in July. I need to sort out the best way to get my Visa, whether it's cheaper to get in the UK, or wait until I come to Thailand ?.

Could someone give me advice on the pros and cons of getting a Non-Immigrant O type visa in Thailand rather than the UK . My (farang) friend thinks it would be cheaper to get once in Thailand, rather than the UK, and also with less hassle at the Immigration Office in Udon. That's how he did it.

Should I go for the UK option it would mean setting up an a appointment at the Thai Embassy, taking time off work to travel to London ( I live in Scotland ), adding up the costs for flights,meals, taxis, Embassy fees etc, I reckon about +/- £ 480 ( x 48 = B 23000 ). My friend reckons +/- B 16000 through his Lawyer

(American) in Thailand.

Would appreciate any response.

No need to go to London. Apply by post to Hull. You can get your non-O as below;

1. Visiting Thailand as Pensioner

Evidence required:

• Copy of Bank Statement showing receipt of State and/or Private Pension.

Please note that either a single or multiple entry visa can be granted in these circumstances.

or

1. Visiting Thailand as Retired Person aged 50 years and over

Evidence required:

• Copy of Bank Statement showing income of minimum £900 per month.

Please note that either a single or multiple entry visa can be granted in these circumstances.

Once you arrive in Thailand with your UK issued Non-O visa, based on either "retirement" or "marriage to a Thai," you'll then be able to apply for a one year EXTENSION to that visa in Udorn.

It's the Extension of the Non-O visa that your friend is referring to, not the visa itself.

And, it doesn't cost any bang 16,000 either. Just baht 1,900 paid to the Immigration office in Udorn, for which you get a receipt.

Mac

The OP is married to a Thai so can easily obtain the non immigrant O visa (which is required for extensions of stay) from Hull or any other Consulate in UK or elsewhere. Cost in UK is 50 pounds. You can not obtain in Thailand but you could change for 2,000 baht and a trip to Bangkok would likely be required. As airline is likely to require you have a visa (or pay for tickets you don't need) much better idea to obtain before you travel. As said the extension of stay during last 30 days will cost 1,900 baht. There is zero reason to pay some lawyer any fee for them providing the same information you can get free here or from any immigration office. For Thai wife 400k in bank account here 2 months or 40k per month income/pension letter from your Embassy. For retirement it would be 800k or 65k but simple one visit and much less paperwork. But even marriage will be easy enough to extend.

Thanks to you all for your advice. Phoned Hull this morning. Lady I spoke to was very nice, told me exactly what documentation required to get my visa. What did come as a surprize was that I don't need to go to Hull in person, can send my documentation/details by post. This has saved me a fortune. Really appreciate this.

tonika