UK pensions

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

You shouldn't have asked. Others have posted that they phone up and they get the payment without problem with their next pension. I have a bit of a hearing problem so reluctant to phone anyone, in particular long distance to people with strange accents.

I normally write to the DWP to make the claim, I have made 4 claims and in 3 cases it has taken further action to get paid. Last year I made a formal complaint and got £25 in compensation for their lack of response. In the other 2 cases they just said it had been delayed due to workload. It is DWP policy not to acknowledge letters so you have no idea what is going on.

They will almost certainly have a means in which to communicate with anyone with hearing probs, especially if they also happen to be late HMF under HMG's much lauded military covenant.

Edited by evadgib
On 8/4/2018 at 6:50 PM, evadgib said:

They will almost certainly have a means in which to communicate with anyone with hearing probs, especially if they also happen to be late HMF under HMG's much lauded military covenant.

Of course their is a means to communicate, it is called the written word, tried and tested over centuries.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Of course their is a means to communicate, it is called the written word, tried and tested over centuries.

Understood, but hopefully this is delivered via 21st C technology rather than a method developed in the 19th...

Image result for royal mail ship

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Understood, but hopefully this is delivered via 21st C technology rather than a method developed in the 19th...

Image result for royal mail ship

I use an online postal service so any letter I send is posted in the UK using a "signed for" service. They sometimes send me emails but you cannot make a claim or complaint by email as they block attachments.

22 hours ago, sandyf said:

The question is have you ever communicated by Post ?  sent by reg mail so know 100% when it arrives, if your lucky you get a reply 12 weeks  later..

On 8/7/2018 at 3:10 PM, sandyf said:

What part of this statement  "I normally write to the DWP to make the claim," did you find difficult?

The reply was how long you have to wait [at least 12 weeks] for a reply from them.....  on another question for some of us hearing is a problem if phoning where is the call centre ?? India ? sorry don't understand their English, [have phoned many times] so have no option but write........  [3 letters + replies for me, took 11 months for a simple question reply]

8 minutes ago, ignis said:

The reply was how long you have to wait [at least 12 weeks] for a reply from them.....  on another question for some of us hearing is a problem if phoning where is the call centre ?? India ? sorry don't understand their English, [have phoned many times] so have no option but write........  [3 letters + replies for me, took 11 months for a simple question reply]

You should avoid ambiguous questions. If you do not get an answer within a reasonable time or not an answer to your question, you should make a complaint to the London office, you will get an answer from them in about 10 days. I got £25 compensation as they hadn't answered a letter in 3 months.

A charity reported today  (BBC Business ) that a single parent on the National Living Wage ( 7.83 per hour) needed an extra 74 pounds a week for income required, less we forget about the Pensioners eh. The charity is The Child Poverty Action Group, why are the Charities that are supposed to supporting the Senior members of Society are so backward in coming forward?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, lungbing said:

Usually because the government of the day take the charity boss, stick them in the house of lords and they suddenly start singing the government line.

Got  a draw at the weekend though so not s bad eh!

On 8/6/2018 at 6:52 AM, sandyf said:

Unless you live on the darkside Pattaya...half of the mail sent to me from London never arrives...

2 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

You will get the rate when your pension starts and it will be frozen at that (I believe).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to claim your State Pension its not automatic, so when you do you can inform them of your position and where you ( sitting by a bar on the beach in Thailand with a jug of Sang Som usually goes down well) whatever the pension is at that time is what it will be frozen at, if its around April you might want to wait until May and get the latest increase, if there is one in 2031, know you wont forget will you its 13 years away!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, nong38 said:

You have to claim your State Pension its not automatic, so when you do you can inform them of your position and where you ( sitting by a bar on the beach in Thailand with a jug of Sang Som usually goes down well) whatever the pension is at that time is what it will be frozen at, if its around April you might want to wait until May and get the latest increase, if there is one in 2031, know you wont forget will you its 13 years away!

Why would you mention where you are and what you were doing when making the claim?

They don't need to know, and they don't appear to have the ability to find out.

4 hours ago, kevtheblue said:

Hi sorry if this has been asked before, I will be moving to Thailand in 2022,  in 2031 i will be 67.

My question is do i get the rate in 2022 or 2031.

thanks

The chance of you getting a UK state pension in 2031 is so small I wouldn't be worrying about it.

By then you could be back in the UK, dead, or they may have raised the pension age to 75.

In the last 15 years about 1/2 the Brits I knew have died.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, kevtheblue said:

Hi sorry if this has been asked before, I will be moving to Thailand in 2022,  in 2031 i will be 67.

My question is do i get the rate in 2022 or 2031.

thanks

You will get the rate of the date you retire and never go up, but from now till then anything can change, l came to LOS well before retirement, during that time the gov changed stuff and l lost out..?

Edited by transam
  • Like 1
Hmmmm, just got another one of those "Life certificates", that's every year...I must be on the naughty boy radar....[emoji41].............[emoji23]

Whats involved to complete one of those. Who (official) has to prove you are not ‘Brown bread’???

I aim to be back in Blighty when I claim if you know what I mean.

My mate did that and it was a cold barren year when they found out. He had to live on zero pension for many months until the debt was repaid but as they say here ‘up to you’.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, transam said:

Hmmmm, just got another one of those "Life certificates", that's every year...I must be on the naughty boy radar....?.............?

Yep.

I got my first "Are You Dead Yet?" letter today.

I have no idea who to ask to witness this.

Who do you or anyone else use?

Edited by Phuket Man

Dear Forum,

I am quoting two tweets I have received from the International Consortium of British Pensioner - @pensionjustice, perhaps it is worth replying to them.

"

More

Do you have a frozen pension or are you looking to retire abroad but feel like you can't because of the UK gov's frozen pension policy? Get in touch with us at [email protected]"

In this tweet they list a report on frozen pensions:-

"

The House of Commons Library has recently published a report on Overseas Frozen Pensions, a useful resource on the history and current state of the UK gov's unjust frozen pensions policy: https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN01457  #endfrozenpensions #frozenpensions"