UK pensions

mrmazinkle

I have a war pension paid into Bangkok Bank as well as my state pension, both via Citibank, today my war pension arrived on the due date so no delay, I will be interested to see if my state pension arrives on Friday when due!

Amazing in 2015 they change something in July that delays payments in September.bah.gif

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone actually contacted the pensions people and received a future state pensions forecast?

I phoned them last November and was assured that a statement would be sent to the address in UK I gave them.

Still waiting.

Sent the form from Thailand giving my Thai address 5 weeks ago.

Still waiting.

Do they actually respond or is it all BS?

Thinking of sending them 10 applications every month until I actually get a reply.

I sent a request about three months ago, and found a reply on the doormat when I got home from a trip, earlier this week.

They're planning to be docking me GBP 39.57 per week, for having opted-out in the past, when I finally receive it starting 51-weeks-late, courtesy of the moving goal-posts. wink.png

So that's currently forcast at just GBP 115.95 per-week, little different from the 'old rate', so much for IDS and his promises that everyone would get the new GBP 151.25, less adjustments for only having 31-years' contributions ! facepalm.gif

Just as well I never relied on the government looking-after me, in my old age. coffee1.gif

Has anyone actually contacted the pensions people and received a future state pensions forecast?

I phoned them last November and was assured that a statement would be sent to the address in UK I gave them.

Still waiting.

Still waiting.

Thinking of sending them 10 applications every month until I actually get a reply.

I sent a request about three months ago, and found a reply on the doormat when I got home from a trip, earlier this week.

They're planning to be docking me GBP 39.57 per week, for having opted-out in the past, when I finally receive it starting 51-weeks-late, courtesy of the moving goal-posts. wink.png

So that's currently forcast at just GBP 115.95 per-week, little different from the 'old rate', so much for IDS and his promises that everyone would get the new GBP 151.25, less adjustments for only having 31-years' contributions ! facepalm.gif

Just as well I never relied on the government looking-after me, in my old age. coffee1.gif

Forecasts are based on the regulations in force at the date of the forecast. Nobody will get a forecast based on the new rate before April.

I have a war pension paid into Bangkok Bank as well as my state pension, both via Citibank, today my war pension arrived on the due date so no delay, I will be interested to see if my state pension arrives on Friday when due!

FoI responce re WP's published yesterday:

Number of ex-service personnel receiving an occupational or ongoing disablement pension or awarded compensation. Number of individuals receiving an ongoing war widow(er)s pension.

Still waiting.

Still waiting.

I registered with Gateway some 4-5 years ago to get a quote for my state pension. I'd actually contracted out and into a company pension for several years. I was quoted £146.00 based on the then current figures and, from what I was told, believed I could also expect any annual increases awarded in the intervening years until I was eligible to take my pension.

I'm 65 in December this year so I've recently completed all the necessary over the phone to claim my pension. Everything was quick, easy and painless except when the lady told me what my actual pension would be.......£137.00. When I queried the amount and told what I'd originally been quoted all she could say was that 'with the pension changes due next year the way pensions are now calculated had changed since my original quote'.

I couldn't find exactly what changes there were but when I looked at what I would have got if I was four months younger and was eligible for the £151.25 starting point with reductions for my contracted out period etc.

Although I'll be getting over £10.00 a week less than I thought I would I'M ACTUALLY BETTER OFF NOW.

So much for a fairer pension from next April. Anyone with a similar work history to me but four months later will be worse off!!

I couldn't find exactly what changes there were but when I looked at what I would have got if I was four months younger and was eligible for the £151.25 starting point with reductions for my contracted out period etc.

Although I'll be getting over £10.00 a week less than I thought I would I'M ACTUALLY BETTER OFF NOW.

So much for a fairer pension from next April. Anyone with a similar work history to me but four months later will be worse off!!

It is not as straightforward as that. From April, people will receive the higher of 2 different calculations, one based on the new rates and the other on the old system.

You may be right in what you say, a lot will depend on how they do the 'old system' calculation. The examples published by the government would indicate that people who contracted out for a short period of time will come off worst.

I was contacted out twice and into company schemes for a total of twenty-two years. I wouldn't call that 'a short period', would you?

I was referring to people in general, not to you in particular. You will receive the £137 plus the pension from your contracted out contributions, I wouldn't call that coming off worst, would you.

My pension was due today and came in within the normal time range at 09.30. This is the second payment that has come in time since the date on my letter so hopefully there is not going to be any delay.

The payment hit my account at 55.238 and as the pound has been declining over the last 18 hours, it was 55.45 at 17.30 yesterday, It would suggest that the payment was actually made between 8 and 10 pm last night. Rate is currently 55.088.

Bahtnet is closed overnight and the payment normally hits my account shortly after it opens.

FoI responce re WP's published yesterday:

Number of ex-service personnel receiving an occupational or ongoing disablement pension or awarded compensation. Number of individuals receiving an ongoing war widow(er)s pension.

From the internal link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/431606/20150514-War_Pensions_March_2015-O.pdf

Forecasts are based on the regulations in force at the date of the forecast. Nobody will get a forecast based on the new rate before April.

The forecast is based on the rules of the new State Pension that starts on 6 April 2016

attachicon.gifpension 1 1.jpeg

attachicon.gifpension 2.jpeg

I stand corrected, I got mixed up with the online calculator.

Yes, my own letter was identical to Lite Beer's , and is definitely a forecast "based on the rules of the new State Pension that starts on 6 April 2016.

Pensions Minister Baroness Altmann has told the BBC she considered helping women who have had the start date of their state pension put back twice, but could not find a way to do so.

Some 500,000 women in their late 50s were affected by the decision of the coalition government.

It added up to 18 months onto the start date of their state pension.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34357595

Pensions Minister Baroness Altmann has told the BBC she considered helping women who have had the start date of their state pension put back twice, but could not find a way to do so.

Some 500,000 women in their late 50s were affected by the decision of the coalition government.

It added up to 18 months onto the start date of their state pension.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34357595

When I was 61, I went along to sign on and claim JSA. They told me to go away and claim pension credit, something else that has been taken away from the early 60's age group.

This a slight aside but might be of interest to you all, bearing in mind that what Governments do today is no surety for the future but we have to assume and hope that they will.

This is about here in Thailand and what happens when we have moved on and left someone else to live out their lives without out support.

As I understand it when a Thai reaches 60 they get a Govt pension of 600 bts a month, not a lot is it.

My lady went down to City Hall here a few weeks ago and came back with a form issued by the current administration which she has taken up, the form from what I could make out in numbers and what she told me works like this. She pays 100 bts a month, the Govt contributes 50bts a month. If she has to go into hospital for her its free, she has a Blue Book, but, she will also get a payment for each day she is in there from the scheme. When she reaches 60 she will get an extra 600bts a month, so 1200. She thinks its a good idea and at 100bts a month its not a lot, so I would ask you to look into the scheme and see if you think its worth 100bts a month.

I know 1200bts a month in 20 or so years time does not seem like a lot but it just might help a little.

This a slight aside but might be of interest to you all, bearing in mind that what Governments do today is no surety for the future but we have to assume and hope that they will.

This is about here in Thailand and what happens when we have moved on and left someone else to live out their lives without out support.

As I understand it when a Thai reaches 60 they get a Govt pension of 600 bts a month, not a lot is it.

My lady went down to City Hall here a few weeks ago and came back with a form issued by the current administration which she has taken up, the form from what I could make out in numbers and what she told me works like this. She pays 100 bts a month, the Govt contributes 50bts a month. If she has to go into hospital for her its free, she has a Blue Book, but, she will also get a payment for each day she is in there from the scheme. When she reaches 60 she will get an extra 600bts a month, so 1200. She thinks its a good idea and at 100bts a month its not a lot, so I would ask you to look into the scheme and see if you think its worth 100bts a month.

I know 1200bts a month in 20 or so years time does not seem like a lot but it just might help a little.

Is the amount that the Thais pay in limited to just 100 baht a month or can they pay more, also can children be included as well?

nong, it may be worth starting a new thread as this is not UK pensions related. Obviously, spouses of all nationalities may be interested.

FWIW my wife pays 535 baht per month into the scheme, that's the employee share she tells me which provides for medical etc.

This scheme is not the same CM as I understand it as I asked the question can you pay in more? I was told no its 100 from you and 50 from the Govt, apparently you get a certificate rather than bank book and the money is paid into the TMB.

Apparently we go to do the paying in on the 12th so I will tell you what I see.

JIP99 I hear what you say, lets see what happens in the next couple of weeks, see if I can get hold of the leaflet ( which was passed on quickly!) and get some more information and then see where we are, as I said it was an aside and for Thailand its a step forward, they have an ageing population as well so its a problem on the horizon for them as well.

Whilst this is not directly about pensions I found this on the BBC News website this morning.

It makes a mockery of the Tories pledge to have a level playing playing field.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-34439965

quote "

Ministers should waste no time to make unpopular cuts to pensioner benefits, a think tank director has said.

Many of those hit by a cut to the winter fuel allowance might "not be around" at the next election, said Alex Wild of the Taxpayers' Alliance.

And others would forget which party had done it, he added.

At the group's meeting at the Conservative conference in Manchester, former defence secretary Liam Fox said spending cuts must be "for keeps".

Mr Wild said the Tories could not wait until a year before the next election to make the necessary cuts to the winter fuel allowance, free bus passes, the Christmas bonus and other pensioner benefits."

Whilst this is not directly about pensions I found this on the BBC News website this morning.

quote "

Ministers should waste no time to make unpopular cuts to pensioner benefits, a think tank director has said.

Many of those hit by a cut to the winter fuel allowance might "not be around" at the next election, said Alex Wild of the Taxpayers' Alliance.

At the group's meeting at the Conservative conference in Manchester, former defence secretary Liam Fox said spending cuts must be "for keeps".

Mr Wild said the Tories could not wait until a year before the next election to make the necessary cuts to the winter fuel allowance, free bus passes, the Christmas bonus and other pensioner benefits."

Be a bit different if the cuts affected their BIG pensions.......whistling.gif

So, I'm back :)... Pretty sure I haven't been missed!!!

Anyway's, I just wanted to apologise to ...

- Shelly (Sorry, I took great offense at you editing my post, without reading your comments as to why you did so, I now understand[emoji106]).

- Metisdead (Sorry, you had to take the brunt of my p1ssed-off'idness following the spat with Shelly)

- Transam (Sorry, I'm just me mate, I've never posted under any other pseudonym)

Appreciate this is OT, but wanted to post it here so all the concerned parties (plus any followers of the thread who caught my posts) could see.

Again, apologies & hope we can move on [emoji106]

quote "

Just stop paying pensions -- they won't vote against you at the next election 'cos they all die of starvation and hypothermia :)

quote "

Just stop paying pensions -- they won't vote against you at the next election 'cos they all die of starvation and hypothermia smile.png

Two things this idiot seems to forget is for every pensioner who dies off between elections more people become pensioners plus many of the pensioners who die off were solid Tory voters and the new ones may not be voting the same way.

Archived