Late-Year Teenagers & Those In Their 20'S : What Are They Doing?

seaeagle

It's a funny World. I know of at least two luk kreuk kids (girls) born here, educated here, moved overseas for more education and work experience. Now they are back in Thailand 'working bar' in Pattaya.. Last time I saw the older one she was working in Soi 7.

despite the education she reckoned she had more fun, freedom and cash working in a bar and meeting farangs in Lucifers.

Finally we get a real world work option for 20 somethings witnessed ;)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always happy to listen, and learn, from other points of view. Having said that, tell me, where, and what, do you see you kids doing at 18, after finishing school, and why?

I see the oldest one going to university in Bangkok and ending up in some kind of technical profession. Mind you, he is still only 4, so really hard to predict. The other one I really don't know yet, only 3.

But I do have the feeling at least one of them will return to/stay on Phuket.

Why? Sorry, that question is impossible to answer.

Edited by stevenl

they wont answer. As i keep saying all they care about is their little beach life with chang and motorbikes. The hell with the kid's future and safety.

As you can see he takes my comments as insults. They're not insults unless you know you're doing something terribly wrong.

As usual, you really have no clue.

And yes, of course I see your remarks as insults. Last week, or 2 weeks ago, you were complaining so many of your posts are being deleted by the mods. What do you think the reason for that is? Because you are such a reasonable, well argumented poster?

Judging success via salary is just so foreign to me.

If making the most money is your priority in life, I highly doubt it will be a salary that will get you anywhere near the top.

I think of the most successful peers I have back in the states, most all made their millions in construction or investments (real estate).

Two of them (out of 5) went to college.

A strong work ethic is the most common trait between these 5. A bit of luck helps also, of course.

I'm talking about multi-millionaires.

I know one of them worked his way up from a parts clerk in an auto parts store. (ended up owning 13 of them, and sold them all at age 48

But the rest started out self employed and worked hard to get where they are.

Good luck hoping for your high wages for your kids.

Seriously, can two posts about 3 young individuals that are lazy good for nothings generalize the demographic? I could say I know of 5 people personally in the same demographic that grew up here,went off to Uni in OZ, EU and the US and they are all doing well. I guess the two posters above hang with the wrong crowd.

Seriously, can two posts about 3 young individuals that are lazy good for nothings generalize the demographic? I could say I know of 5 people personally in the same demographic that grew up here,went off to Uni in OZ, EU and the US and they are all doing well. I guess the two posters above hang with the wrong crowd.

Where are they now? What are they doing?

If making the most money is your priority in life, I highly doubt it will be a salary that will get you anywhere near the top.

I think of the most successful peers I have back in the states, most all made their millions in construction or investments (real estate).

A strong work ethic is the most common trait between these 5. A bit of luck helps also, of course.

I know one of them worked his way up from a parts clerk in an auto parts store. (ended up owning 13 of them, and sold them all at age 48

Are your peers half Thai, half farang, living on Phuket? What is you point?

I'm always happy to listen, and learn, from other points of view. Having said that, tell me, where, and what, do you see you kids doing at 18, after finishing school, and why?

I see the oldest one going to university in Bangkok and ending up in some kind of technical profession. Mind you, he is still only 4, so really hard to predict. The other one I really don't know yet, only 3.

"Technical profession. Where? Phuket, or overseas?

It's a funny World. I know of at least two luk kreuk kids (girls) born here, educated here, moved overseas for more education and work experience. Now they are back in Thailand 'working bar' in Pattaya.. Last time I saw the older one she was working in Soi 7.

despite the education she reckoned she had more fun, freedom and cash working in a bar and meeting farangs in Lucifers.

Soi 7 - one of the "short time" Soi's. I suppose the "apple" didn't fall far from the tree. :) :)

they wont answer. As i keep saying all they care about is their little beach life with chang and motorbikes. The hell with the kid's future and safety.

As you can see he takes my comments as insults. They're not insults unless you know you're doing something terribly wrong.

Yes, it's a good life. However, that life was made by working in the west, on western money. Try making that life here, from age 18, earning the Thai baht.

You really think I can answer these questions for a 4 and 5 year old?

The oldest may end up a motorbike repair guy somewhere on the island.

Yes, it's a good life. However, that life was made by working in the west, on western money. Try making that life here, from age 18, earning the Thai baht.

No, it was not, that life is being made here by hard working.

You're lowering yourself to thailand's level with remarks like this.

Point is: Judging people by their wages is a moot point.

I wouldn't trade my life for any of those peers I mentioned.

But, you guys seem to think it's important if your kids can work for someone else and make a good hourly or daily salary.

Not important to me.

To each his own.

No, it was not, that life is being made here by hard working.

You're lowering yourself to thailand's level with remarks like this.

So, you are Thai? You were born here, is that right? No, so what paid for your flight here? Remember, an electrician, for example, from the west, can come here for a holiday. A Thai electrician is on 300 baht a day and "lives to work."

Point is: Judging people by their wages is a moot point.

I wouldn't trade my life for any of those peers I mentioned.

But, you guys seem to think it's important if your kids can work for someone else and make a good hourly or daily salary.

Not important to me.

To each his own.

That's easy to say when you are living in a 3rd world country, with money, albeit, not millions of dollars. Take a stroll down Bangla Road and see all the young women from Issan selling their bodies. Yes, Issan is a part of Thailand. Many are from villages with no electricity and/or running water.

You might not have millions of dollars, but you have millions of more baht than many Thai's here. So, finanically, would you want your kid having the life of a farang, or a Thai, in Thailand????

You really think I can answer these questions for a 4 and 5 year old?

The oldest may end up a motorbike repair guy somewhere on the island.

Great. Why not a motor repair guy in the west, earning big dollars, pounds or euros, for doing the same job. Why would he/should he earn 300 baht a day on Phuket? Of course he will leave. he has dual citizenship. He has that luxury, Thai's do not. Good luck to him, but this is the reason we do not see any 50/50 young adults working here. We are STILL waiting for a reported sighting of one. :) :)

Agree. There is a lot more to a balanced, happy life than wealth. Most kids won't grow up to be gold medal winning millionaire business men despite how much 'LivinLOS' & 'Seaeagle' would like theirs to. It's when 'LivinLOS' realise his kid doesn't want to hitch hike to auctions at a young age but actually turns out to be quite direction less and lazy, that's when his parenting skills will be tested. If he thinks they are going to grow up to be mini versions of himself he's got a big shock coming!

I would be interested to know if 'Seaeagle' and 'LivinLOS' had 50/50 kids. We Know 'NKM' doesn't, so it wouldn't surprise me if neither of them did either. It would explain a lot.

Agree. It says a lot about someone's argument if they feel they have had a victory, because some bloke drinks in a girlie bar and a couple of prostitutes told him that they'd studied in Europe but prefer to be prostitutes. By studied in Europe they probably meant they lived there for a while with their bar girl mum and fat sweaty step dad. Even If they did study, it hardly proves anything and not really worth getting excited about it is. I think their report on this discussion so far should read 'Must do better'.

So, you are Thai? You were born here, is that right? No, so what paid for your flight here? Remember, an electrician, for example, from the west, can come here for a holiday. A Thai electrician is on 300 baht a day and "lives to work."

'NKM', You have admitted that over several pages of two threads you only really have one argument. I have addressed that argument several times and you are yet to respond. You haven't pointed out what you think is wrong with my theory.

My kids are just as much Thai as they are English. I'm not one of those people who marries a Thai woman has children, but for some reason think of my kids as being 95% English. My kids Thai heritage is just as important to me (and will be to them) as their English heritage. This is something you and others are overlooking as you are not parents of 50/50 kids.

The point is, my kids will be able to take advantage of both sides of the world, as is their right being duel nationality. So just the same as I have, they can pick and choose what aspects from both countries they want to benefit from.

My kids will always know growing up that Thailand is a great place to have a decent quality of life but the West is a better place to further your education and start a career. They will have the option to do either. Have a low paid, but hugely enjoyable life working as a dive shop manager or something similar, or work in the West and earn some decent bucks, or most likely end up doing a combination of the two at different points in their life. I know I would have been a much happier person if I had grown up with a low paid job in the sun, enjoying my life, instead of being part of the rat race that is the West.

I don't understand why you are determined to overlook the possibility they have of working/training on both sides of the world, as is their right. This won't be a shock they learn about on their 17th birthday, it will be something they will be aware of all the time they are growing up. Going back to the West to take advantage of what it has to offer is just a normal part of a 50/50 kids life as far as I'm concerned. You are making it sound as if it's way out there as a concept. This I can only assume is because you don't have 50/50 kids yourself.

My kids will have every option available to kids growing up in the UK, but they will have hundreds on top of that. They will have options that kids like me could only have dreamed about.

There you go, another post for you to ignore and bleat on about there being no jobs in Phuket in 10 years time. coffee1.gif

as its been said, a lot of them on TV and gogo bars.. rest are busy living off mommy and daddy

Hard work is seen as something stupid, just like wearing a helmet around here.

Poor people are always looking for ways to put down their wealthier counterparts. Accusing their kids of being spoilt brats and living off mummy and daddy, is an old classic and shows very little imagination. sad.png

Wealthy people can give their kids everything they want in life AND instil good values and a good work ethic. Poor parents, if they are decent parents, can only do the latter. Turning your nose up at the former is a sure sign of insecurity and jealousy.

Great. Why not a motor repair guy in the west, earning big dollars, pounds or euros, for doing the same job. Why would he/should he earn 300 baht a day on Phuket? Of course he will leave. he has dual citizenship. He has that luxury, Thai's do not. Good luck to him, but this is the reason we do not see any 50/50 young adults working here. We are STILL waiting for a reported sighting of one. smile.pngsmile.png

As I have said, how many 50/50 kids were at school on this island 5,10,20 years ago compared to now? Phuket is very different in that respect today so you will have to wait ten years to see where it takes us.

Edited by HongKongPhooey

its funny how your life experience is so little.

My parents were wealthy and having so many handouts for so long definately is something i wish they had not done, i wish they had kicked my ass and told me to gtfo my ass at 16 and gotten a job to pay for EVERYTHING. i would of hated them for a year but in the long run i would probably be an executive sitting at an office getting paid to drink scotch right now.. And mostly the same goes for every other decently wealthy kid i knew. In fact the only one that has a really good work life is the one whos parent taught him to work for himself at age 12. He's my best friend and he already owns an apt building and plenty of other stuff. Hard worker while everyone else is still studying miserably or having shitty average jobs.

But even through that, they still have better life prospect than any kid born in thailand, especially when you consider they're all alive at age 24 which is very hard to do on the roads and schools of thailand.

Again you're just blahblahing on the same crap that means nothing, SECURITY, SAFETY and FUTURE PROSPECT this is what counts for children and this place has 0% of those 3 things.

If you love thailand so much and cant move for your children at least go to a different province.

Edited by thaiIand

'NKM', You have admitted that over several pages of two threads you only really have one argument. I have addressed that argument several times and you are yet to respond. You haven't pointed out what you think is wrong with my theory.

My kids are just as much Thai as they are English. I'm not one of those people who marries a Thai woman has children, but for some reason think of my kids as being 95% English. My kids Thai heritage is just as important to me (and will be to them) as their English heritage. This is something you and others are overlooking as you are not parents of 50/50 kids.

The point is, my kids will be able to take advantage of both sides of the world, as is their right being duel nationality. So just the same as I have, they can pick and choose what aspects from both countries they want to benefit from.

My kids will always know growing up that Thailand is a great place to have a decent quality of life but the West is a better place to further your education and start a career. They will have the option to do either. Have a low paid, but hugely enjoyable life working as a dive shop manager or something similar, or work in the West and earn some decent bucks, or most likely end up doing a combination of the two at different points in their life. I know I would have been a much happier person if I had grown up with a low paid job in the sun, enjoying my life, instead of being part of the rat race that is the West.

I don't understand why you are determined to overlook the possibility they have of working/training on both sides of the world, as is their right. This won't be a shock they learn about on their 17th birthday, it will be something they will be aware of all the time they are growing up. Going back to the West to take advantage of what it has to offer is just a normal part of a 50/50 kids life as far as I'm concerned. You are making it sound as if it's way out there as a concept. This I can only assume is because you don't have 50/50 kids yourself.

My kids will have every option available to kids growing up in the UK, but they will have hundreds on top of that. They will have options that kids like me could only have dreamed about.

There you go, another post for you to ignore and bleat on about there being no jobs in Phuket in 10 years time. coffee1.gif

'

I do not have young 50/50 kids. This is the reason I do not know much about the International Schools here, because I have never needed to.

You may think that this would mean I do not know what I am talking about, but I would say it makes me "subjective" on the topic as I have no conflict of interests (where I want to live versus what's best for the children)

If we use stevel's example, "motorbike repair guy." My argument is he should go to the west, in your case, probably the UK, to learn this trade over the 3 to 4 years it takes to gain the qualification. After that, he can come back to Phuket, if he wants, and earn 300 baht a day, if he so choses, or, maybe a bit more, fixing and servicing "big bikes" of farang who are happy to pay more for better workmanship and a mechanic who speaks perfect english. I have never had a problem with that. Or, with that UK qualification, live anywhere in the west, fixing motorbikes, and return to Phuket for holidays and to see mum and dad. All I have ever said is that qualification MUST come from the west to allow the above options. Many farang have property here. I'm sure many would pay a little more for a 50/50 kid who was trained overseas, to do electrically work, tiling etc - but it still would be small money by western standards.

What I would have a problem with is the kid leaving school on Phuket and going to work in a tin shed fixing motorbikes for 300 baht a day, without the right tools, and never really learning the science behind combustion, gearing etc etc etc etc. This, as a parent, would be a big concern for me. In my opionion, my son would have limited his options, severly, and be condemned to 300 baht day for his working life. I would suggest that a qualified bike mechanic in the UK could easily work in Thailand (apart from work permit laws) but a Thai bike machanic in the UK would be unemployable immigration laws aside as well) Now, some have suggested just buying the kid his own motorbike repair shop business so he can have profits, as well as salary. This is another option, but if he is a great bike mechanic, but a hopeless business manager, eventually, when the business fails, he goes back on 300 baht a day.

You could use the example of hairdress for females. Same as the above.

If we are talking academic qualifications, the Internationally accredited Universities here appear ok. Obviously, they are expensive, but if you can afford them, that's great. You still have a problem of the 10 families who control Phuket and the possiblity of racism being a barrier to your kids getting a good job here, but discussion maybe for another thread.

As far a two cultures, laguages, the sun, sad and sea and some farang money etc etc - I totally agree with you. It should be a happy, well catered for upbringing, with a lot of variety. No problem from me about that. This is also one of the best "spinoffs" of the EU. You can now have, for example, a German marrying a French, or a Spanish marrying an Italian, and having the freedom to live and work anywhere in Europe.

My argument was, and still is, the kid will need to go to either an accredited International University here (the cost of this may be an issue for some, so many will send their kids to their home country university) or gain a trade qualification (training - apprenticeship) somewhere in the west. Without either one of the above, the kid is on 300 baht a day (maybe a bit more - but nothing like a western salary) for their working lives. I will leave the "buying them a business" aside in this comment. Without either one of the above, your kid's will have very limited options to work abroad on a western salary.

Also, and I know you will criticize my far forward thinking, what happens if the Thai Government one day turns around and does not offer dual-citizenship? There are that many farang retirees and expats here, with many 50/50 kids. If their 50/50 kids all worked in their own business here, and farang are happy to pay a bit more for better workmanship, with an english speaking tradesman who was trained in the west, that puts a lot of Thai's out of work. Yes, it's a long bow to draw, but once again, a QUICK THOUGHT should be given to it. After all, who would ever have thought someone could go to Issan and pay everyone 200 baht for their vote and get the top job in the country, twice, and then once for his sister. Things are volitile here and laws can change, overnight. Better your kids have western qualifications, if this ever happens, and they are forced to chose a passport.

You have said there are not many "old" 50/50 kids. The British International School has been open since 1996. If a child left this school at 18, in 1996, they would be 34 years of age now. Sure, classes would have had not many students back then, but the school's student base would have rapidly increased since opening. HKP, where are they all???? Where are even the 25 year old 50/50 graduates?

Edited by NamKangMan

as its been said, a lot of them on TV and gogo bars.. rest are busy living off mommy and daddy

Hard work is seen as something stupid, just like wearing a helmet around here.

Poor people are always looking for ways to put down their wealthier counterparts. Accusing their kids of being spoilt brats and living off mummy and daddy, is an old classic and shows very little imagination. sad.png

Wealthy people can give their kids everything they want in life AND instil good values and a good work ethic. Poor parents, if they are decent parents, can only do the latter. Turning your nose up at the former is a sure sign of insecurity and jealousy.

Great. Why not a motor repair guy in the west, earning big dollars, pounds or euros, for doing the same job. Why would he/should he earn 300 baht a day on Phuket? Of course he will leave. he has dual citizenship. He has that luxury, Thai's do not. Good luck to him, but this is the reason we do not see any 50/50 young adults working here. We are STILL waiting for a reported sighting of one. smile.pngsmile.png

As I have said, how many 50/50 kids were at school on this island 5,10,20 years ago compared to now? Phuket is very different in that respect today so you will have to wait ten years to see where it takes us.

See above post. BIS has been opened since 1996. A graduate at 18 years of age in 1996 would be 34 years of age now but nowhere to be seen working on Phuket.

Edited by NamKangMan

What's so complicated?

A Western education is better than a Thai education.

With a Western education (or, Thai International school), a good career can be had in both a Western country, or, Thailand.

This is not possible with a Thai only education.

The deniers can rationalize their decision to put their child through an inferior education system all they want, but, it doesn't change the fact that it's an inferior education system and you are robbing your child of choices in the future.

What's so complicated?

With a Western education (or, Thai International school), a good career can be had in both a Western country, or, Thailand.

The deniers can rationalize their decision to put their child through an inferior education system all they want, but, it doesn't change the fact that it's an inferior education system and you are robbing your child of choices in the future.

Good summary.

There are still no actual answers to the OP. Are there no parents on here with working Thai-educated teenagers/early twenties? Are there no International school graduates reading this?

The only farang I know that went to Thai International school yet remains in Phuket is quite a bit older and is a well-known insurance broker on the island. There must be more. Where are you?

What's so complicated?

Good summary.

There are still no actual answers to the OP. Are there no parents on here with working Thai-educated teenagers/early twenties? Are there no International school graduates reading this?

The only farang I know that went to Thai International school yet remains in Phuket is quite a bit older and is a well-known insurance broker on the island. There must be more. Where are you?

Any idea what he earns a month?

I love the way some of the posters have a plan for their offspring as if their children are like chess-pieces that can be moved at will. If the plan is followed (good parenting) then the child will turn out OK. They keep forgetting that their child also has free-will and might not see things the same way as the parents, particularly when they become teenagers.

Seems most of these posters have forgotten what it was like to be a teenager. The esteem of their peers is far more important than doing what their parents say. It's been that way forever.

This is why some kids can turn out bad even though they had good parents and all the chances.

I agree with livinLOS that it is very important to instill a work-ethic. This is something that is being forgotten about everywhere.

I started working at six years old doing the washing-up. I hated it to start, but, then got a paper-round, milk-round and on it went. It instilled a respect for money and how it is earned and also made me a saver.

Too many kids are materialistic and expect their parents to buy everything they want. This is a particular weakness with Thai mothers.

See above post. BIS has been opened since 1996. A graduate at 18 years of age in 1996 would be 34 years of age now but nowhere to be seen working on Phuket.

If the school opened in 1996 then they couldn't possibly have any 18 year old graduates the same year!! So much has changed on the island in the last 15 years that maybe there was less for the families to hang around for. There would only have been a fraction of the amount of expats on the island then than there is now, so I really don't think it's a valid point. Phuket has evolved immensely and it will continue to do so, so dwelling on how things were and where people are now from 15 years ago is a waste of time.

It seems to me 'NMK' that you have pretty much had a turn around in your opinion. You started off by saying that raising teenagers in Phuket was a no go, now you are saying that as long as they study/work in the West then it's all fine. So we are pretty much in perfect agreement.

I agree with livinLOS that it is very important to instill a work-ethic. This is something that is being forgotten about everywhere.

I started working at six years old doing the washing-up. I hated it to start, but, then got a paper-round, milk-round and on it went. It instilled a respect for money and how it is earned and also made me a saver.

Too many kids are materialistic and expect their parents to buy everything they want. This is a particular weakness with Thai mothers.

Although I agree with your previous summary, I don't agree with you or 'LivinLOS' on this matter. Yes you need to teach your kids the value of money but I don't believe you need to teach them that making money is the bee all and end all, and the only road to happiness.

I also have no problem with my kids living on my money for as long as they want to, assuming I can afford it and obviously I wouldn't be supporting them to piss their lives away or have a drug habit. But if my kids want to use my money to enjoy their lives, by being able to travel the world, take part in any sport or hobby they wish to, or follow a passion, then I don't have a problem. If my kids want to spend their lives doing enjoyable, healthy things then work and a work ethic can go whistle as far as I'm concerned. Life's way too short to work for a living unless you have to, or you are lucky enough to be in the tiny minority of people that have jobs they love doing, vocations as it were.

To automatically assume kids that don't work but have wealthy parents are spoilt brats is wrong. If they have been raised poorly then they may be brats but not just because they were born in to wealth.

I'll ask you (especially 'LivinLOS') a simple question. What would you rather have kids who work hard but are obnoxious, arrogant, full of themself <deleted>, or a lovely kid with decent morals and character that would rather go off travelling the world than to work a 9-5? There's more to life than money and success. I would take a happy kid with a great character and personality all day long.

That doesn't mean to say of course that you don't provide them with all the opportunities they need to provide for themselves if they want, but to say you can't carry your kids financially without ruining them I believe is wrong. Life is for living. The more time you need to spend finding money to pay the bills, the less time you have to enjoy it. It will give me great satisfaction to help my kids have all the time they can to enjoy their lives. I don't understand the desire to watch your kids struggle in an attempt to give them a good character, when you can raise them to have a good character and have money at the same time.