Basic Question About Negotiating A Thai Check You Have Received

OK. I've got this check (a deposit refund) under 10K baht and my preference is to get cash for it.

It is written from a Thai bank in which I do NOT have an account and I can easily get to the branch the check originates from.

Now the question:

Can I just walk into that branch with check and passport and get instant CASH for that check?

(If not, I'll just deposit it in one of my Thai bank accounts.)

Gosh, I know it's Thailand, but I would hope if going to the bank that issued the check that they would immediately give you cash.

I know the few times I've received a deposit refund check for something, both of which were for 2,000 baht, I went to a Bangkok Bank outlet with my passport to cash & deposit in my Bangkok Bank account. They accepted/deposited the checks no problem which were from another Thai bank, I did not even have to endorse the checks, and the Bangkok Bank rep said it would take 24 hours to complete posting to my account....I guess that's how long they needed to ensure the checks cleared the issuing Thai bank.

3-4 months ago I recieved payment with a Thai check= 250k baht. Signed the check, showed the cashier my passport and got the money cash over the counter. The issuers bank, where they had never seen me before. No drama whatsoever !

Here's a good one...

I received a deposit refund of 70K baht as a check, made out in my name. I went to my bank (Bangkok Bank) to deposit the check into the joint account I had with my wife.

Sorry, no can do!

Why?

The name on the check (mine) is not the same as the name on the account (mine and my wife).

Huh?

I am depositing, not asking for cash.

Sorry, no can do.

Much back and forth later, and by then there were at least a half dozen bank staff involved in telling me 'no can do'.

I stood there looking forlornly at the check wondering what to do, when I said, somewhat flippantly... 'Can I use it to open a new account?'

Oh yes, no problem. Just go upstairs.

Which is what I did and how I came to have two accounts with the same bank.

True story. Really.

Here's a good one...

I received a deposit refund of 70K baht as a check, made out in my name. I went to my bank (Bangkok Bank) to deposit the check into the joint account I had with my wife.

Sorry, no can do!

Why?

The name on the check (mine) is not the same as the name on the account (mine and my wife).

Huh?

Sorry, no can do.

Much back and forth later, and by then there were at least a half dozen bank staff involved in telling me 'no can do'.

I stood there looking forlornly at the check wondering what to do, when I said, somewhat flippantly... 'Can I use it to open a new account?'

True story. Really.

I would have closed the account and used the check to open one at another bank.

Here's a good one...

Sorry, no can do!

Why?

Huh?

Sorry, no can do.

True story. Really.

Aye! Tell them you are closing your account and withdrawing all cash, and then opening a new account with said cheque. I'm sure they would have obliged in accepting the cheque into current account immediately..... wink.png

-mel.

Edited by MEL1

True story. Really.

And I believe it because Thai bank's can get down right silly and bureaucratic to the 10th power sometimes with names....like major obstacles can arise if having a middle initial on one document/electronic transfer and not on another...yeap, downright super silly and bureaucratic sometimes. TIT

Had same problem with Bangkok Bank many moons age. Wife and I have joint accounts, would not let me pay a cheque, made out to her, and crossed "A/C Payee only" and endorsed by her, into our joint account. Not the account name appearing on the cheque, only hers.

Appears there is form to fill in to allow cheques with either name to be paid in by either party for joint a/c s. They accepted the cheque there and then and gave me the form to take home, get signed and bring back. They also made a note on the a/c details page of the passbook indicating this change .

Since then we have both deposited cheques with the others name with no question.

Moral...when a Thai bank says "no can do" all it means is you have not filled out the correct form yet.!!(was going to upload all of Forms Thai Banks use but appears ThaiVisa's server does not have enough storage space )rolleyes.gif

Edit to actually reply to OP.. If its crossed "A/C Payee only" may have to pay it into an account, if just a cashiers cheque should be cash-able, especially at issuing branch.

Edited by terryq

Moral...when a Thai bank says "no can do" all it means is you have not filled out the correct form yet.!!(was going to upload all of Forms Thai Banks use but appears ThaiVisa's server does not have enough storage space )rolleyes.gif

I have over 1GB of space in my acct. not sure if it is based on forum seniority. Another option is to run the pdf through some sort of pdf shrinker. Then you'd have plenty of space. I would love to have these forms a lot of times so that I can first ask polietly. Then when you get the "cannot", you whip out a copy and see the "ooooohhhhh" reaction.

Here's a good one...

Sorry, no can do!

Why?

Huh?

Sorry, no can do.

True story. Really.

I'd have taken the 70k out of the new account in cash, paid it into the old account and closed the new account.

Never had a problem paying a cheque in my name into a joint TMB account though.

Edited by PattayaParent

I have over 1GB of space in my acct. not sure if it is based on forum seniority. Another option is to run the pdf through some sort of pdf shrinker. Then you'd have plenty of space. I would love to have these forms a lot of times so that I can first ask polietly. Then when you get the "cannot", you whip out a copy and see the "ooooohhhhh" reaction.

Sorry did not see your post. I was being facetious and sort of saying that there would be a multitude of forms too big for even Thaivisa servers. Sorry I do not have a full set of forms. but like your suggestion as to their reaction.

My health insurance in the USA reimburse me with a Check written from CitiBank N.A.in Thai Baht. I have no problem depositing the checks, but it does take about 7 to 10 days before you see the money in my account plus they charge 10 baht per check. This is Bangkok Bank.

Gosh, I know it's Thailand, but I would hope if going to the bank that issued the check that they would immediately give you cash.

I know the few times I've received a deposit refund check for something, both of which were for 2,000 baht, I went to a Bangkok Bank outlet with my passport to cash & deposit in my Bangkok Bank account. They accepted/deposited the checks no problem which were from another Thai bank, I did not even have to endorse the checks, and the Bangkok Bank rep said it would take 24 hours to complete posting to my account....I guess that's how long they needed to ensure the checks cleared the issuing Thai bank.

Gosh, it turns out my question wasn't as silly or paranoid as it may have sounded!

Went to THAI MILITARY BANK, at the actual branch which issued the check, with my passport, the name on the check and my passport matched exactly. Attempted to CASH the check.

angry.pngangry.pngangry.png MAI DAI/MAI DAI/MAI DAIcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

They were very interested in OPENING AN ACCOUNT with the check, which they were happy to do (but required an O visa or extension, which I have). Fat chance.

So my question is answered for TMB. I suspect the same thing probably applies at other Thai banks.

Gosh, it turns out my question wasn't as silly or paranoid as it may have sounded!

Went to THAI MILITARY BANK, at the actual branch which issued the check, with my passport, the name on the check and my passport matched exactly. Attempted to CASH the check.

angry.pngangry.pngangry.png MAI DAI/MAI DAI/MAI DAIcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

They were very interested in OPENING AN ACCOUNT with the check, which they were happy to do (but required an O visa or extension, which I have). Fat chance.

So my question is answered for TMB. I suspect the same thing probably applies at other Thai banks.

I have had a New York bank refuse to cash a check made out to me. I think it was for $1000 or so. They said put it through for deposit to your own account.