!!

Visa Denial In Vientiane?

Hello

I came across information on several sites about people being denied tourist visas in Vientiane. I read the recent report that is on this site and people who recently posted getting a visa did not seem to have spent much time in Thailand previously. My boyfriend and I have been traveling SE Asia since May 2011 and have spent a good chunk of the time in Thailand...close to six months, but not consecutively. We have never gotten an official tourist visa...all our entries were by land or air and were visa exempt. We just ended up really liking Thailand and spent more time here than anticipated.

We have been in Chiang Mai since February and wanted to stay in Thailand for at least a few more months, going back to Phuket in May. At the end of the month, we wanted to go to Vientiane to get a tourist visa and I was not anticipating a problem but now I am concerned. I imagine they would consider us people who have spent a lot of time here. We have online sources of income that support our travels, we are not working here. Do you think bringing proof of finances would help in the event they were considering denying the visa? I really want to avoid doing border runs now that we know we have made a firm decision that we want to stay here for a bit. We are American citizens by the way. Thanks for any information.

Nothing I have seen would indicate you would have any problem getting at least a single entry tourist visa in Vientiane and likely a two entry would be available. The only reports of problems seem to be from those with more than several tourist visas; and even then it is obviously not everyone.

Don't think you will get any definitive advice on this as although all the thai consulates have the same rule book they do not seem to apply the rules the same and yours is not the run of the norm situation. Agree with Lopburi3. Maybe taking any evidence of travels could help I don't know but not taking it may only hinder you.

One thing to be aware of is that if you do have a problem they used to only give a 15 day visa exempt stamp at Friendship Bridge, last year one friend in Udon got the wrong stamp - his fault. Everybody I know who has done this in Vientiane has had to stay overnight there so a day trip from Nong Khai is not an option.

Sure I am right with the above but maybe will be corrected. I don't use these visas so my information is anecdotal.

Good luck.

"One thing to be aware of is that if you do have a problem they used to only give a 15 day visa exempt stamp at Friendship Bridge"

Its 15 days at any land border (visa exempt) and 30 days arrival by air.

Visa application one day collect the next, overnight stay is required.

You can get a Laos visa on arrival $35, take USD as paying in baht is 1400 !

Edited by CharlieH

I went to Vientiane last week. I got to Thailand around Feb. 16 and used up the 30 day exemption. I had a double entry from Cambodia in 2010. I got a double entry this time in Vientiane. Everything was pretty easy, no proof of money or address required. I just put the Soi number and town where I stay.

Cost was $ 35 USD (or 1500 baht if you don't have USD), and 1000 for single or 2000 for double entry. By the way I stayed at Thawee guest house, about $ 15 per night with AC. I took the night train 69 from Hua Lampong station, 2nd class lower bunk for about 800 baht, not bad at all. I don't like Minivans ! Train back is 70. We arrived in Nong Khai around 9:30 am (one hour late) but still had time to get our passports in, we got to the Consulate about 11 am. All went well, good luck to you too.

show u have money and a return flight ticket.include a letter why you want visa and write u dont work illegaly in los. and you should be fine.

I agree with the above advice. If you want to submit any documents in addition to the bare minimum (passport and application form), do so up front because once they accept your application for processing you won't be given a chance later to explain, as far as I understand the procedures in Vientiane.

• Like 1