Over 1 Million Thais Are Infected With Hiv/Aids

Lite Beer

I see where you are coming from and am aware of all the vaccines you mentioned, shall we have a poll here to see how many have had them ? but to be honest I don't buy into a lot of the info you linked too, you can equally find other statistics that are different, if your intent is to try and justify not using protection then I would strenuously question that but regardless that's just me, my main point is this - the huge unknown with HIV is how many out there have it and are unaware after all it is basically a symptomless disease until it progresses to AIDS, we can only assume certain things and lay them against the known factors as you have posted, I think the big question is this - how many of the sexually active population of any country have had an HIV test, how many have multiple partners, e.g in Thailand if 1 million are infected how many of the sexually active where tested to produce that result - if you were to assume the sample size was 5 million and assume that there are 30 million sexually active in Thailand that would make for some very scary figures indeed albeit if it was true which it isn't because most of the data is unknown, my own opinion is if there are 1 million Thais that have tested positive then there must be at least double that who are positive and have not been tested

anyway I think the world recognised best practice method of protection is to use a condom, some may disagree with that but up to them to do their own research

I'm not sure why this one million figure keeps popping up in this thread. For some reason, unknown to me, my earlier post

to you quoting this was deleted:

"Since HIV/AIDS was first reported in Thailand in 1984, 1,115,415 adults had been infected as of 2008, with 585,830 having died since 1984.[1] 532,522 Thais were living with HIV/AIDS in 2008.[2] In 2009 the adult prevalence of HIV was 1.3%.[3]"

http://en.wikipedia....IDS_in_Thailand

So, according to the figures above, it is much closer to 500,000 Thais infected rather than a million. So how is it you come up

with the at least two million of this post or the over 3 million you spoke of earlier?

Edited by oldthaihand99

I see where you are coming from and am aware of all the vaccines you mentioned, shall we have a poll here to see how many have had them ? but to be honest I don't buy into a lot of the info you linked too, you can equally find other statistics that are different, if your intent is to try and justify not using protection then I would strenuously question that but regardless that's just me, my main point is this - the huge unknown with HIV is how many out there have it and are unaware after all it is basically a symptomless disease until it progresses to AIDS, we can only assume certain things and lay them against the known factors as you have posted, I think the big question is this - how many of the sexually active population of any country have had an HIV test, how many have multiple partners, e.g in Thailand if 1 million are infected how many of the sexually active where tested to produce that result - if you were to assume the sample size was 5 million and assume that there are 30 million sexually active in Thailand that would make for some very scary figures indeed albeit if it was true which it isn't because most of the data is unknown, my own opinion is if there are 1 million Thais that have tested positive then there must be at least double that who are positive and have not been tested

anyway I think the world recognised best practice method of protection is to use a condom, some may disagree with that but up to them to do their own research

I'm not sure why this one million figure keeps popping up in this thread. For some reason, unknown to me, my earlier post

"Since HIV/AIDS was first reported in Thailand in 1984, 1,115,415 adults had been infected as of 2008, with 585,830 having died since 1984.[1] 532,522 Thais were living with HIV/AIDS in 2008.[2] In 2009 the adult prevalence of HIV was 1.3%.[3]"

So, according to the figures above, it is much closer to 500,000 Thais infected rather than a million. So how is it you come up

with the at least two million of this post or the over 3 million you spoke of earlier?

as I stated in my post I actually have no idea - a personal opinion is what it is, you on the otherhand have it all worked out copy and paste from where you want post links to where you want, the simple fact is that MILLIONS of people have already died from this disease and MILLIONS more are infected - and I stress agan those that don't know they have it are the biggest danger to all

I honestly don't know what your point is, maybe you could just say what you want to say without all the figures and links - that is all I am doing, I am no expert but I know there is a danger out there and it is something each of us need to realise and be resposible for....................................I have no more input to offer on this thread as my knowledge is limited

as I stated in my post I actually have no idea - a personal opinion is what it is, you on the otherhand have it all worked out copy and paste from where you want post links to where you want, the simple fact is that MILLIONS of people have already died from this disease and MILLIONS more are infected - and I stress agan those that don't know they have it are the biggest danger to all

I honestly don't know what your point is, maybe you could just say what you want to say without all the figures and links - that is all I am doing, I am no expert but I know there is a danger out there and it is something each of us need to realise and be resposible for....................................I have no more input to offer on this thread as my knowledge is limited

I take it that at least one point to this thread is the prevalence of HIV in Thailand. Hence the discussion of whether it is 500,000, a million,

or several millions.

Some posters have been calling for other posters to support their statements with references. The moderator ask for facts, & not fictions or falsities. I suppose your guessing is a grey area. Hence the sources, links and quotes i have been providing. I think in all cases they are either correcting erroneous claims or at least providing some useful info on this topic. But, of course, it's impossible to read other's minds or please everyone.

Edited by oldthaihand99

I take it that at least one point to this thread is the prevalence of HIV in Thailand. Hence the discussion of whether it is 500,000, a million,

or several millions.

Some posters have been calling for other posters to support their statements with references. The moderator ask for facts, & not fictions or falsities. I suppose your guessing is a grey area. Hence the sources, links and quotes i have been providing. I think in all cases they are either correcting erroneous claims or at least providing some useful info on this topic. But, of course, it's impossible to read other's minds or please everyone.

Dude, your citing Wikipedia is actually no better than people citing zilch. UNAIDS, PSG and reputable sources indicate 1.1 million cases in between 1984 and 1997 in Thailand according to 1998 studies. Mortality rate for HIV and those that develop AIDs is vastly different and mortality data can be manipulated or presented in any fashion to prove any agenda. Truth is, HIV is under reported in Thailand. GSP and UNAIDs. Living in HIV drugs is hardly a life that anyone would want. You cannokay it down all you want and convince yourself it ain't so bad. Not sure why unless you got and trying to convince yourself and others it is not really that bad.

You cannot tell within a couple of weeks or months whether a person is trustworthy and whether you should trust what they say about their sexual history.

By mutual agreement my wife ( then g/f) and I both had an HIV test before we started a sexual relationship.

I would dare say that you stand an even chance of getting something nasty from a "good girl" in Thailand as easily as from a "bad girl".

It is interesting that in Thailand (according to the punters here) the difference between a good girl or bad girl is based on whether or not they charge for sex. That's not how it worked where I grew up. There were lots of bad girls that wouldn't think of taking payment.

Thailand is so 2 dimensional for some.

Just like "one third of Thai land is owned by foreigners"? .... "one million thais are infected with HIV"...... just because a statement is written does not make it true...

But look at motivation for lying - in the latter the motivation is to downplay the numbers not exaggerate.

Just couldn't be 1 in 60, certainly not 1 in 30 . . .

That would mean we would likely know atleast one or two infected people . . .

With Thai health and selfcare habits, lack of knowledge, lack of community assistance or willingness to follow recomendations from doctors, etc the infected would be dropping like flies . . .

Obviously it's more like 1 in 3 or 4 within the high-risk "communities" that you likely don't have much contact with.

But if you know a lot of Thais the odds are pretty good you know one or two infected people. And the odds are good they don't know they are infected themselves.

According to official sources, half a million have already died - probably many more is the truth - sounds like flies dropping to me. . .

I've been living in Thailand for 12 years and been around Thailand for over 20 years and I have never once come across one single farang who has contracted HIV... I have heard many many stories of rural living Thais with HIV and dying of aids... but I know only one bar girl with HIV...

Feel free to kid yourself, but don't put others' lives at risk with this kind of stuff. Many people have it and don't know it. When they find out they go to ground and keep it a secret. I'd bet most long-term farangs go home when they get it, and don't broadcast it back there either.

For example, when it comes to the number of child prostitutes in Thailand, the NGO numbers are beyond any credibility and I believe are there simply to give them an excuse to have their own lifestyle financed.

Yes, they probably are exaggerated, but keep in mind they define "child prostitution" at 18. I know in the Thai-frequented hardcore brothels the ratio is at least half, and that's not counting place/pimps that would specialize in the truly young ones at a high price.

My maid has two girls under 13 and when times are tough she seriously considers sacrificing their virginity to raise money to cover debts. She knows several people she can go to to negotiate the better price.

So no one really knows the real number, but it isn't as tiny within the local market as it is in farang-frequented places, where the cops have big incentives to at least go through the motions of doing their job.

It is interesting that in Thailand (according to the punters here) the difference between a good girl or bad girl is based on whether or not they charge for sex. That's not how it worked where I grew up. There were lots of bad girls that wouldn't think of taking payment.

Among much of the younger generation your "face" is only as big as how much you get for putting out. The most shameful thing is to be caught giving it away, especially to a farang.

Just like "one third of Thai land is owned by foreigners"? .... "one million thais are infected with HIV"...... just because a statement is written does not make it true...

But look at motivation for lying - in the latter the motivation is to downplay the numbers not exaggerate.

Just couldn't be 1 in 60, certainly not 1 in 30 . . .

That would mean we would likely know atleast one or two infected people . . .

With Thai health and selfcare habits, lack of knowledge, lack of community assistance or willingness to follow recomendations from doctors, etc the infected would be dropping like flies . . .

Obviously it's more like 1 in 3 or 4 within the high-risk "communities" that you likely don't have much contact with.

But if you know a lot of Thais the odds are pretty good you know one or two infected people. And the odds are good they don't know they are infected themselves.

According to official sources, half a million have already died - probably many more is the truth - sounds like flies dropping to me. . .

UNAIDs stated that deaths and number if infected are understated as Thailand does nit keep accurate records as to cause of death for AIDs related deaths.

Dude, your citing Wikipedia is actually no better than people citing zilch. UNAIDS, PSG and reputable sources indicate 1.1 million cases in between 1984 and 1997 in Thailand according to 1998 studies. Mortality rate for HIV and those that develop AIDs is vastly different and mortality data can be manipulated or presented in any fashion to prove any agenda. Truth is, HIV is under reported in Thailand. GSP and UNAIDs.

Wikipedia can use any source out there, including those alleged "reputable sources" you mention, government sites, research studies and so forth, so i think your total dismissal of Wikipedia is off the mark.

As to your other claims dating back pre 1998, that doesn't tell us how many Thais in Thailand are living with HIV in 2012, does it? It doesn't even tell us how many were living with it 15 years ago.

Edited by oldthaihand99

Certainly condom use is up there as one of the best protections against HIV, and evidently sadly lacking in Thailand, which explains

the high incidence of HIV in the country. There is also this:

"Monogamy or polyfidelity, practiced faithfully, is very safe (as far as STIs are concerned) when all partners are non-infected."

http://en.wikipedia....her_precautions

But with the widespread use of prostitution, giks, mia noi, mistresses, etc, in Siam, it may not be the country with the highest rate of fidelity.

"While the use of condoms can reduce transmission of HIV and other infectious agents, it does not do so completely. One study has suggested condoms might reduce HIV transmission by 85% to 95%; effectiveness beyond 95% was deemed unlikely because of slippage, breakage, and incorrect use.[27] It also said, "In practice, inconsistent use may reduce the overall effectiveness of condoms to as low as 60–70%".[27]p. 40.

"During each act of anal intercourse, the risk of the receptive partner acquiring HIV from HIV seropositive partners not using condoms is about 1 in 120. Among people using condoms, the receptive partner's risk declines to 1 in 550, a four- to fivefold reduction.[5] "

http://en.wikipedia....sex#Limitations

Edited by oldthaihand99

Dude, your citing Wikipedia is actually no better than people citing zilch. UNAIDS, PSG and reputable sources indicate 1.1 million cases in between 1984 and 1997 in Thailand according to 1998 studies. Mortality rate for HIV and those that develop AIDs is vastly different and mortality data can be manipulated or presented in any fashion to prove any agenda. Truth is, HIV is under reported in Thailand. GSP and UNAIDs.

Wikipedia can use any source out there, including those alleged "reputable sources" you mention, government sites, research studies and so forth, so i think your total dismissal of Wikipedia is off the mark.

As to your other claims dating back pre 1998, that doesn't tell us how many Thais in Thailand are living with HIV in 2012, does it? It doesn't even tell us how many were living with it 15 years ago.

mate unless I am missing something really obvious here - what exactly is it you are trying to say ?

I believe it was you that asked in an earlier post quote - where is the million Thais infected figure coming from, Note the title of this topic might give you a clue

I think we can safely sum up this whole thread with a few points that most agree on or is supported by experts and trials through the many years of HIV history (wiki not being one of them)

1. Condom use will effectively protect you from STD's including HIV

2. The figures showing those known to be living with HIV reflect only those that have been tested

3. There are likely to many more that have HIV and have not been tested as there are no symtoms until the onset of AIDS

4. The WHO and global experts now say that the best way to stop the spread of HIV is to test and treat because those on effective treatment are highly unlikely to infect others (some say cannot)

5. The most dangerous group in our society for spreading HIV are those that don't know they have it - are sexually active with multiple partners - refuse to wear protection and refuse to be tested

6. HIV does exist and those that don't believe are fooling themselves

Edited by smedly

I very clearly stated that the figure 3 million was simply an opinion or senario by me and had no reliable data back it up and most probably is well out - my opinion only

I also said that discussing numbers "in my opinion" is pointless because only those that have been tested will appear in any data, so a country that publishes "how many" actual cases have been put on record and provides nothing more about sample size etc etc then one can only make a wild guess as to the real extent of the problem, so if I said that out of 30 million sexually active people in Thailand only 10% have been screened for HIV and of those one million where found to be infected, You can juggle the figures around all day and at the end no one knows - my point being exactly that - and in view of that fact and a strong assumption that not all sexually active people have been tested and that this disease shows no symptoms - then you nearly need to assume that everyone you have sexual contact with has HIV untill proven otherwise

I believe is some parts of Africa the infection rate is extremely high - how do they know this - well because there is prolific testing going on, not saying the problem in Thailand could be similar but if does offer food for thought, I personally believe everyone should be tested - the drugs should be reduced in price - and those that test positive recieve the treatment- HIV spread stopped

I've been living in Thailand for 12 years and been around Thailand for over 20 years and I have never once come across one single farang who has contracted HIV... I have heard many many stories of rural living Thais with HIV and dying of aids... but I know only one bar girl with HIV...

Feel free to kid yourself, but don't put others' lives at risk with this kind of stuff. Many people have it and don't know it. When they find out they go to ground and keep it a secret. I'd bet most long-term farangs go home when they get it, and don't broadcast it back there either.

For example, when it comes to the number of child prostitutes in Thailand, the NGO numbers are beyond any credibility and I believe are there simply to give them an excuse to have their own lifestyle financed.

Yes, they probably are exaggerated, but keep in mind they define "child prostitution" at 18. I know in the Thai-frequented hardcore brothels the ratio is at least half, and that's not counting place/pimps that would specialize in the truly young ones at a high price.

My maid has two girls under 13 and when times are tough she seriously considers sacrificing their virginity to raise money to cover debts. She knows several people she can go to to negotiate the better price.

So no one really knows the real number, but it isn't as tiny within the local market as it is in farang-frequented places, where the cops have big incentives to at least go through the motions of doing their job.

Among much of the younger generation your "face" is only as big as how much you get for putting out. The most shameful thing is to be caught giving it away, especially to a farang.

that I know of only one bar girl living with HIV isn't kidding myself..... it is a fact, but I grant you it is hardly statistically significant.... I respect your opinion here but I have to laugh at the idea of a bar girl having a secret... a bar girl's secret is only one phone call between her best friend and the rest of her little world. Rural "good girls" as I referred to before have less chance of knowing they are HIV positive as they will not be routinely tested like some bar girls are. I think the largest risk is probably in the likes of Beach Road in Pattaya or Pattaya's disco scene where the freelancers could easily be knowingly affected and will work on regardless and will be more than happy to oblige anyone who doesn't like condoms.

Wonder how many females?

me too: more than males...

I wouldn't agree that more females have HIV . Because girls in secondary school are less likely to be involved with sex as much as males are during their school years. You see males are conditioned to have sex with each other by their mentors and culture then boys by nature are most likely to experiment more with each other in greater numbers that's without factoring in peir pressure. So I would belive there is a higher number of males carry the HIV that the females.

What nonsense, "Males are conditioned to have sex with each by thier mentors" Where on earth do you come up with this theory. School girls want to have sex just as much as boys and always have have you noticed the high amount of teenage pregnancies, abortions in Thailand alone, there have been many threads on this. The girls aren't getting pregnant because the boys have been mentored into have sex with each other.

First of all the culture mentors this itself, it facilitates more homosexual relationships then anywhere I know of....peir pressure is another force the young boys have to deal with, because they are left alone for long hours in areas were the litercey levels are below standards......then you have the finacial asspect that flows into the equation, little boys grandparents or a family members finds it more profitable to raise the boy as a girl, . There is a high rate of teenage pregnancy but that doesn't mean the women are having sex more than men or that they are more likely to get HIV...where do you get your information from...the American Feminist movement,that would have you believe that all females in the bars are under aged and every farrange is haboring a minor for sexual explotation...?

Figures.

My current and previous girlfriends had no clue about contraceptives and STDs.

When I first came here 20 years ago every girl insisted on condom use for fear of HIV. Now they all say they don't like condoms and don't want me to use one. And I'm not talking about hookers here, but girls you would consider educated and with an ability to think about the future.

The 20-25 age group in particular seem to have no fear of HIV at all.

this suprised me, i have relationships with none bar girls, usually with good jobs and degree's and as yet not one has even mentioned a condom. guess the flip side is neither did i.

I have never understood people who want to flaunt about things like this...........?

"While unprotected sex is the major risk factor which accounts for as high as 84 percent, premature and unprotected sex among secondary school and vocational students is becoming more of a problem."

not sure, what they were trying to say, looks like a moral campaign than health concern

I think premature protected sex isn't a risk at all.....

I guess they want to say that the problem is that all are <deleted>*** around with everyone, but can't do it with the moral bs.

Wonder how many females?

Are you one of those who still thinks it's a gay topic? lol

It got started by the gays so maybe it is? First it wasn't even called HIV or AIDS but GRID (Gay Related Immune Disorder), until to changed due to it spreading from bi-male to hetro-female back in the 80s.

I can tell you for nothing that some people who supposedly have HIV have been misdiagnosed and shouldn't even be on the treatment.

The treatment is harsh, some peoples immune system can handle HIV to the point where it won't take root!

Getting HIV from a woman is very, very difficult unless you like the anal thing.

One of the reason's for it being rampant in Thailand is the bi-sexual nature of some men who give it their girl-friends, mistresses etc.

Wear condoms folks, not only for reducing the risk of HIV but also the other nasty things out there...

Wonder how many females?

It got started by the gays so maybe it is? First it wasn't even called HIV or AIDS but GRID (Gay Related Immune Disorder), until to changed due to it spreading from bi-male to hetro-female back in the 80s.

I can tell you for nothing that some people who supposedly have HIV have been misdiagnosed and shouldn't even be on the treatment.

The treatment is harsh, some peoples immune system can handle HIV to the point where it won't take root!

Getting HIV from a woman is very, very difficult unless you like the anal thing.

One of the reason's for it being rampant in Thailand is the bi-sexual nature of some men who give it their girl-friends, mistresses etc.

Wear condoms folks, not only for reducing the risk of HIV but also the other nasty things out there...

Hiv in thailand is subtype e and extremely easy to get via hetero. 1 in 30 to 1 in 50 as opposed to 1 in 500 to 1 in 1000 with subtype b which is primarily found in the west.

This is thoroughly documented...but ignorant foreigners keep on coming and thinking it's otherwise

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 1

Wonder how many females?

Hiv in thailand is subtype e and extremely easy to get via hetero. 1 in 30 to 1 in 50 as opposed to 1 in 500 to 1 in 1000 with subtype b which is primarily found in the west.

This is thoroughly documented...but ignorant foreigners keep on coming and thinking it's otherwise

So true. So many people going by information they think they got 30 years ago!

Wonder how many females?

HIV is not a gay topic. It was called GRID by some people when they had no idea it was even a virus. It didn't start with gay people. Maybe this is actually a MONKEY topic? The virus didn't start in the 1970s anyway. It is MUCH older. Edited by Jingthing

1 in 60, then i must have slept with a hiv infected i guess. My count is somewhere there if I remember

i think hookers are pretty safe, always wants condoms, no bbj, only with condoms, of course here in pattaya you get a bj without condom so be careful

i have heard that aids bought a villa here in pattaya, it feels like home here

1 in 60, then i must have slept with a hiv infected i guess. My count is somewhere there if I remember

i think hookers are pretty safe, always wants condoms, no bbj, only with condoms, of course here in pattaya you get a bj without condom so be careful

i have heard that aids bought a villa here in pattaya, it feels like home here

It means assuming you're having sex with an infected person, these are the chances you'd be infected by them ...

In the states it's almost non existent hetero wise... 1 in 1000 chance and 1 in 1000 infected with hiv means 1 in 1 million per random act...

not same in thai

I don’t want to cast any aspersions but seems to me we have a bunch of sexually non experienced boys here.

I was sexually active in the States for 40 years. Never got AIDS. Got chlamydia 5 times. Gonorrhea 4 times. Crabs 5 times. I got Gonorrhea from oral sex at least once. The oral infections like trench mouth I didn’t count.

I mentioned before in this or another thread about the head nurse I dated in Pattaya. Well boys I used to wait in her waiting room to pick her up nightly. I saw the HIV cases and other STD’s come in and get the bad news.

It is not something to play with. Remember your lack of experience does not give you any physical resistance but I guess it does provide a mental armor of sorts. When you are fencing without protection remember to wear white underwear. It gives you the most advance notice. Crabs leave little black red stains almost immediately. Gonorrhea, yellow to green and chlamydia; clear to creamy colored. I don’t know for sure but I do have a lot of personal experience in Thailand in general and Pattaya specifically and I would say about 40% of the women in Pattaya have Herpes. Catching it quick with a large dose of anti virals is said to stop it but otherwise it is yours for life. Unprotected sex in Pattaya? Ha ha you guys are funny.

You posted the same claims earlier in this thread which was debunked in post #'s 125 & 128.

"Our findings do not support the conclusion that subtype E strains have a preferential tropism for DCs,

suggesting that other explanations for the rapid heterosexual spread of subtype E strains in Asia should be

considered." http://jvi.asm.org/c...0/8001.full.pdf

Edited by oldthaihand99

mate unless I am missing something really obvious here - what exactly is it you are trying to say ?

I believe it was you that asked in an earlier post quote - where is the million Thais infected figure coming from, Note the title of this topic might give you a clue

I think we can safely sum up this whole thread with a few points that most agree on or is supported by experts and trials through the many years of HIV history (wiki not being one of them)

1. Condom use will effectively protect you from STD's including HIV

2. The figures showing those known to be living with HIV reflect only those that have been tested

3. There are likely to many more that have HIV and have not been tested as there are no symtoms until the onset of AIDS

4. The WHO and global experts now say that the best way to stop the spread of HIV is to test and treat because those on effective treatment are highly unlikely to infect others (some say cannot)

5. The most dangerous group in our society for spreading HIV are those that don't know they have it - are sexually active with multiple partners - refuse to wear protection and refuse to be tested

6. HIV does exist and those that don't believe are fooling themselves

The million figure was questioned or denied by a number of posts (e.g. #'s 8, 66, 72, 79, 87, 241) and sources earlier in this thread,

hence my query as to why people keep bringing that number up.

1. Sure, condoms reduce risk for HIV by about 85%.

2. Most i've seen are spoken of as "estimates" not numbers known to have been "tested".

3. I suppose this is where unsubstantiated estimates or guesses like over 2 or 3 million come in. As to symptoms:

"During this period (usually 2–4 weeks post-exposure) many individuals develop an influenza or mononucleosis-like illness... "

http://en.wikipedia....Acute_infection

4. That's good news. In Canada the government even supports HIV positive couples in having babies. With proper care the

risk of infection to the newborn is said to be less than 1%. http://cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/42794.html

5. Testing is very important & is a means of practicing safe sex. "Periodic STI testing has been used to reduce STIs in Cuba and among pornographic film actors...AIM Medical foundation claims that program of testing has reduced the incidence of sexually transmitted infection to 20% of that of the general population" http://en.wikipedia....her_precautions

http://en.wikipedia....25_rate_of_STDs

6. Yup.