Falang Go Home . . .

Checker

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get it on a daily basis but I live "thai way"

Do you speak Thai ?

Not much and every time I attempt to use it I get discouraged by Thai people.

If you don't speak Thai, it's impossible you live "Thai way".

Personally i am not fluent, i don't claim i live " Thai way " either:)

Do you expect some Thai to encourage you ? Why ?

Do you speak Thai ?

If you don't speak Thai, it's impossible you live "Thai way".

Personally i am not fluent, i don't claim i live " Thai way " either:)

Do you expect some Thai to encourage you ? Why ?

The Thais I know best don't live 'Thai way' either - they live 'expat' way. But most Thai expats seem to live quite differently from most of the Western expats I know. Communal eating seems to me to be the biggest difference.

For me, being British, the lack of clear demarcation of space and time is difficult; I am used to a clear demarcation of personal space, and definite meal times.

Whether I shop at Tescos or the local grocer, I don't eat 'local style' because I cook for myself

SC

Do you speak Thai ?

It is funny how you are being so negative against Thai's in two forums now. I am not Thai but I will speak for them. "Any farang who speaks Thai well or try to speak Thai with us is great. We love it..." Now, the fact that I do speak fluently let's me know this. I think you have a serious personal issue that you need to get over. I you dont and can't deal with the hospitality of the locals, then go live somewhere else where you don't have to communicate with anyone. Can I suggest a remote desert in Africa or Australia!

• Like 2

Is that book available ?

Thanks smile.png

Mau

Take a look at some of the accounts of life here in the late 19th - early 20th C such as "Durian:A SIamese Interlude" by Noel Wynyard (OUP) or some of the SEAsian Anthologies from this era such as Tropical Interludes (ed Graham Saunders, intro by Victor King OUP).

Coedes, Mohout, Conrad and Maugham (among others) also wrote several good descriptions of pre 1932

Is that book available ?

Thanks smile.png

Mau

Take a look at some of the accounts of life here in the late 19th - early 20th C such as "Durian:A SIamese Interlude" by Noel Wynyard (OUP) or some of the SEAsian Anthologies from this era such as Tropical Interludes (ed Graham Saunders, intro by Victor King OUP).

Coedes, Mohout, Conrad and Maugham (among others) also wrote several good descriptions of pre 1932

Thanks HD, i know already some of the authors, and i will take a note of the others.. And visit some library when in BKK

Actually, more than novels, i am looking for some sort of travellers diaries :)

Well my wife learned in school, if you see an Indian and a snake, you need to kill the Indian first (because more dangerous). And all the junk about how Cambodian and Myanmar people can never be trusted because it is in their nature to lie and fake.

Noel Wynyard's book is very much a "traveller's diary" of it's day (I seem to recall it was written in 1912 though published in 1939).

She was a logger's wife who paints an often bleak picture of life stuck at home with only the domestics and the occasional passing Westerner for company, while hubby is off on his tours of the teak forests. It's beautifully written and a fascinating read. There is one chapter about the monsoon rains which is sublime.

There are many similar from around that time as well although many are out of print. White Lotus reproduced a good few of such books too so a rummage of their shelves at larger branches of Asia Books could be of reward.

When I have more time I'll have a rummage through my old University notes and see what else I can dig out.

• Like 1

Do you speak Thai ?

It is funny how you are being so negative against Thai's in two forums now. I am not Thai but I will speak for them. "Any farang who speaks Thai well or try to speak Thai with us is great. We love it..." Now, the fact that I do speak fluently let's me know this. I think you have a serious personal issue that you need to get over. I you dont and can't deal with the hospitality of the locals, then go live somewhere else where you don't have to communicate with anyone. Can I suggest a remote desert in Africa or Australia!

So if you are not a Thai , where are you from?

Do you speak Thai ?

Anelaine, I actually do find that hard to believe! If there is one thing the Thai people are proud of its of a foreigner attempting to speak their own language. They actively encourage it seriously! I think its probably time to have a rethink of your situation in Thailand, otherwise you will go through life there being extremely unhappy.

For many people Thailand works for them, but for others they class it as an experience and go to pastures new.

Out of every negative comes a positive and the positive could just be finding a new host country and hopefully the mistakes you might have made wont be repeated in your new abode.

Living abroad requires you to have a very open mind, a sense of humour and above all the capacity to integrate with the local residents.

I wish you well.

Do you speak Thai ?

Anelaine, I actually do find that hard to believe! If there is one thing the Thai people are proud of its of a foreigner attempting to speak their own language. They actively encourage it seriously! I think its probably time to have a rethink of your situation in Thailand, otherwise you will go through life there being extremely unhappy.

For many people Thailand works for them, but for others they class it as an experience and go to pastures new.

Out of every negative comes a positive and the positive could just be finding a new host country and hopefully the mistakes you might have made wont be repeated in your new abode.

Living abroad requires you to have a very open mind, a sense of humour and above all the capacity to integrate with the local residents.

I wish you well.

I disagree. I have been here awhile now and have tryed to speak the lingo but for me it doesn't work. Of course they want to hear me speak Thai BUT when l do, usually laughter, even my mrs..

Thai's who speak a little English would rather speak their English to practice and show other Thais their achievement. The difference being, l can understand the poorest of English but a Thai cannot or will not understand my Thai if a little off.

BUT, l don't give a shit. drunk.gif

• Like 1

I would imagine it depends also where you live. Certainly the area I hail from (Issan) they are most appreciative.

If people are laughing I would imagine its laughing with you as opposed to "at" you.

I am in Isaan cowboy.gif , also a Tourist Police (volunteer) . The cops talk to me in ''their'' English, saves a lot of laughter. drunk.gif