Landlord Withholding Deposit

eek

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wana, and here I was thinking they only served tripe in my morning bowl of joke.

letting them know you will report them for tax evasion and deformation of character sounded more like a threat than a joke to me

sorry if i misunderstood :)

Beachyman, i dont think GuestHouse was suggesting doing a runner on the bills. Talking of which, prior to the Gestapo encounter, i had emailed to say the electric bill had not yet come in, and that if it did not come by key handover, to of course deduct it from the deposit. All other bills (condo maintenance fee etc) paid, and receipts were shown during key handover. I think what really gets me is the treatment, because i was perfectly willing to discuss and amend any damages or concerns. Im non aggressive and prefer problems to be handled in a diplomatic way, and i think thats obvious to people. I believe they probably considered me an easy target. If my boyfriend had of been there, without a doubt he wouldnt have handled it so politely as i!

Fair enough. I follow the letter of the contract and if we contracted for 30 days but it can be shown that everything is paid for then sure I am not in it to steal their sizable deposit. However there is always a delay on government meters so just because you show me a paid reciept for two weeks ago does not mean you haven't racked up 2000 Baht in electric since then.

It just bothers me as a landlord both in my home country and here that we are always the bad guy apparently to rentors when there are many times the tenant wants to renogotiate the contract use deposit to get out of rent or paying damages or simply treats my assets as a hotel room and disrespectfully. We are not talking about small potatoes it is a question of time and money for me.

I'm always diplomatic and try to solve check out procedures peacefully and w flexibility but if aggressive nature show their head not a problem people shoukd keep in mine landlords have immigration hired muscle and the cops to handle those situations too.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Full and detailed inspection when you move in.

Report and damage as it occurs - in writing

Report any maintenance as it occurs - in writing

Full detailed inspection as you move out

Deposit returned when keys are handed over

And if you have the slightest suspicion that you are going to have trouble getting your deposit back - a couple of fresh fleshy fish left for your landlord somewhere in the apartment/house.

Deposit is not returned when moveing out but rather within 30 days to allow for final water electric cable and internet bills to arrive. Some idiots think they can rack up bills or forget to cancel to avoid termination charges and you won't notice.

I never have a problem with doing a review of damage and breakage together on check out day but if some joker did as you suggested I'd forward the info to immigration w the departure card and passport which prevents you from leaving the country at any immigration point until that was remedied.

Im sure you got enough pull with immigration to make that happen. clap2.gif

I got ripped off once too by a scumbag owner. Wanted me to pay for the repainting of the outside of the house. Blamed me for all kinds of normal wear and tear (leaking pipes in the ceiling that i told him to fix) It was only 5k so i did not make a scene but it showed me what kind of scum people are who rent out stuff. Seems they expect the deposit to be used for normal wear and tear instead of setting some money aside for it. I am sure there are honest people too, but if i ever rent again i withhold the last months payment. At least it gives me a bit of leverage that way.

You don't need pull. All hotel owners can contact immigration in phuket and put a hold to prevent the person from running away from their bills. My cousin has a hotel and I'm a part owner . At least that's how it works in phuket.

And if you have the slightest suspicion that you are going to have trouble getting your deposit back - a couple of fresh fleshy fish left for your landlord somewhere in the apartment/house.

Deposit is not returned when moveing out but rather within 30 days to allow for final water electric cable and internet bills to arrive. Some idiots think they can rack up bills or forget to cancel to avoid termination charges and you won't notice.

I never have a problem with doing a review of damage and breakage together on check out day but if some joker did as you suggested I'd forward the info to immigration w the departure card and passport which prevents you from leaving the country at any immigration point until that was remedied.

Im sure you got enough pull with immigration to make that happen. clap2.gif

I got ripped off once too by a scumbag owner. Wanted me to pay for the repainting of the outside of the house. Blamed me for all kinds of normal wear and tear (leaking pipes in the ceiling that i told him to fix) It was only 5k so i did not make a scene but it showed me what kind of scum people are who rent out stuff. Seems they expect the deposit to be used for normal wear and tear instead of setting some money aside for it. I am sure there are honest people too, but if i ever rent again i withhold the last months payment. At least it gives me a bit of leverage that way.

You don't need pull. All hotel owners can contact immigration in phuket and put a hold to prevent the person from running away from their bills. My cousin has a hotel and I'm a part owner . At least that's how it works in phuket.

Phuket maybe but other places i doubt it (i have heard about this in Phuket for hotel owners not landlords).

You are right about one thing there are bad tenants too. I just reason from my experiences. I just pay my dues but i hate being ripped off.

Wana, and here I was thinking they only served tripe in my morning bowl of joke.

letting them know you will report them for tax evasion and deformation of character sounded more like a threat than a joke to me

sorry if i misunderstood

Well, when someone has essentially stolen my money, then I guess I'd be one to consider other legal avenues. Hardly call that blackmail.

I sometimes wonder if people's views of Thailand are skewed by having read 'Bangkok 8' one too many times.

Plenty of foreigners use the Thai legal system to their advantage.

As for Joke, it is rice porridge, also known as congee, best served with tripe, and other innards for breakfast. Very common in Thailand. Probably wasn't mentioned 'Private Dancer' though.

Edited by samran

Not tried it here but in Hong Kong most people do not pay their last months rent so at least they have some leverage when you move out. Not doing this usually means you get shafted. Never had a problem with unfurnished places but when it has furnishings, it seems that wear and tear (depreciation basically) on these items are taken from the deposit. Agree though, a lot of land lords basically spend the deposit and at the end of the term it feels to them that they are giving you their money and not that they are returning your money.

we have let condos for last 15+ years and always take a series of pictures and give a full inventory which we give a copy to our tenants. We also deal with a lot of brokers and all of them without exception here are unprofessional and never do their job properly. We have had tenants say they are withholding the last month or 2 to get back the deposit. When this has happened we politely tell them if you dont pay within 24 hours your electricity and water will be cut off then after another 24 hours since they are totally in breach of their contracts their belongings will be removed and stored and locks changed. We always give back full deposits and often simply forgive minor damage and offer to provide details of previous tenants who will vouch we act fairly and honestly.

Most thais consider the deposit a sort of key money and some forang are persuaded to by their silly wives to act like most Thais.

We have found over years by being totally honest we hardly ever have any vacant periods since most if not all our tenants highly recommend our services. The worst tenants we have had have been a Thai earning 300,000 baht a month( yes 300,000 baht a month, we insisted on seeing her payslip and bankbooks) and a Japanese couple who surprisingly (given Japanese are mostly really clean) lived in a total mess.

As someone said take lots of pictures but even then if your up against a bad Landlord and especially a Thai even that will often be no use.

• Like 1

sorry if i misunderstood

Well, when someone has essentially stolen my money, then I guess I'd be one to consider other legal avenues. Hardly call that blackmail.

I sometimes wonder if people's views of Thailand are skewed by having read 'Bangkok 8' one too many times.

Plenty of foreigners use the Thai legal system to their advantage.

As for Joke, it is rice porridge, also known as congee, best served with tripe, and other innards for breakfast. Very common in Thailand. Probably wasn't mentioned 'Private Dancer' though.

again ,your intrepretation of "stolen" may be a thai landlords idea of "earned" or "entitled" if the room is not as he remembered it last year for example

you would "threaten to report him for tax evasion and deformation of character if he doesnt give your money back ?

that sounds pretty much like a dictionary defination of a threat to blackmail someone

i dont know the book the talk you about "bangkok 8 "

i know the rice porridge but i thought the spelling of it was jook or jock (rhymes with clock when i hear it ),not joke

anyway ,back to landlords ,theyre all evil ,rarrrrrrrrrrrr :D

Sure no need to rip them off, but by withholding the deposit you give yourself a bit of leverage. Else you have none. I would not dream of ripping a landlord of either but id expect the same the other way around too. But i read and heard about this too many times.

[/quot

see answer below if any of our tenants ever try to use the deposit for last month or 2 rent we warn them we will cut off electricity and water within 24 hours since they have totally broken the contract. We always give deposits back but a deposit is security against damage and pour contracts are clear on this.

Sure no need to rip them off, but by withholding the deposit you give yourself a bit of leverage. Else you have none. I would not dream of ripping a landlord of either but id expect the same the other way around too. But i read and heard about this too many times.

[/quot

see answer below if any of our tenants ever try to use the deposit for last month or 2 rent we warn them we will cut off electricity and water within 24 hours since they have totally broken the contract. We always give deposits back but a deposit is security against damage and pour contracts are clear on this.

You might be one of the good guys, if i stop paying and you respond like that i might ask you to come over and do a preview to see how much you want to keep. Its usually the honest people who suffer because there are so many dishonest around.

I'm really sorry to hear that, eek because all of us here know you are an upstanding person. But, if you want a little payback later just PM me with the address and the owner's name. I'll make sure he thinks twice before he does it again.

I personlly know a guy who submitted an emergency repair bill with a deduction from his rent - all exactly as per his rental contract allowed.

His Thai landlady responded by turnining up with a gun weilding thug in tow to demand the repair money he had rightly deducted from the rent.

As he said at the time, she had terrified him and his family over a few hundred Bht. He didn't need telling he was never going to get his deposit back.

He left Thailand without giving his landlady notice and a smile on his face iver the thought of her turning up with her thug when the next rent was late, to find him and his family gone and every single surface in the house painted gloss black and purple.

He left one small patch un painted. That's where he stuck the troublesome bill.

• Like 1

[/quot

You might be one of the good guys, if i stop paying and you respond like that i might ask you to come over and do a preview to see how much you want to keep. Its usually the honest people who suffer because there are so many dishonest around.

[/quot

our contracts are very clear and weve been doing it for over 15 years here. I doubt we would accept someone like you as a tenant to be honest. No proper tenant would except their deposit to cover last month or so rent and if you responded as indicated the next step would be a letter from our solicitor giving you 24 hours notice to pay or leave after which time the electricity and water will be cut off and the place repossessed as per the contract. We never cheat and are totally fair but we will not put up with nonsense from our tenants. We have even had tenants leave us their deposits asking us to check place when they have gone (since they were to busy to meet us) saying they will collect their deposit a few months later when next in the area or just asking us to transfer to their banks once weve checked all bills and rest are paid. While weve had to politely point out we can legally cut off electricity and repossess those who have tried it have seen it was in their best interest to comply and they have always got their deposit back. However we would never accept back a tenant who tried to breach their legal contracts.

I would add that all our units are in my wifes name and all contracts and the rest are with her since as a Thai she has far more power than a forang landlord and anyway I would not ever risk working without a work permit. We did have one incident where a nasty tenant did threaten to report me to immigration and to tax people which was funny since he was most surprised to learn his contract was with my Thai wife and condo was hers. He was a backpack teacher working without a permit so my wife had a word with a friend in immigration and we never saw him again but his deposit is still waiting for him to claim it anytime (less unpaid rent) You do bad you get bad back.

• Like 1

Roblock Inunderstand. Sorry if i sounded brash i just have had my fair share of people who truly want to destroy the place for no other reason than they can. Might be only hotel owners I guess phuket is a bit special and maybe we have take liberties w the ability but honestly I have no interstate in a tenants deposit I want the place back in shape so I can rent it again.

There are many unscrupulous landlords and it is essential to do a picture itinized inventory signed and agree to all terms of the contract before signing. I even do a video walkthrough for long leases for houses w the individual agreeing to the state of the house on the date of signing BC I want to limit issues later.

What isnonsese is charging a tenant for small scuffs and such after a year. I'm paint the place anyways every few years so that's nonsense. However the previously post about not paying the last month or two would net the same result from most landlords thai or farang even if not in the contract.

God thats so perverse... I often thought about doing that.. well not often but just sometimes when Im particularly aggrieved by how Ive been treated.. that or butyric acid on the air con coils.. smells of vomit for weeks.. good to see someone else with such a mind...

I personlly know a guy who submitted an emergency repair bill with a deduction from his rent - all exactly as per his rental contract allowed.

His Thai landlady responded by turnining up with a gun weilding thug in tow to demand the repair money he had rightly deducted from the rent.

As he said at the time, she had terrified him and his family over a few hundred Bht. He didn't need telling he was never going to get his deposit back.

He left Thailand without giving his landlady notice and a smile on his face iver the thought of her turning up with her thug when the next rent was late, to find him and his family gone and every single surface in the house painted gloss black and purple.

Hahahaha... I shouldn't laugh but that is quite funny. Though I would recommend he vacation elsewhere if she ever gets ahold of him likely he will be painted the same colors. M

many landlords have a supereriority complex over those "peasants" that are renting from them wink.png

i learned since my teenage days ,a deposit is a gift to the owner ,NEVER EVER rely on getting a deposit back

if u get it back its like a christmas bonus !!!

there is always some aspect of a property that could use "upgrading" and quite often ,landlords feel they can re-decorate with the deposit

because the place looked fresher a year ago before these dirty animals tenants moved in ...... smile.png

I don't have a written contract, and didn't have to pay last month's rent on moving in. Since then, the property I rent has changed owners three times. This is why I don't plan on waiting to "get back" my deposit. I plan on "taking it back." I plan to wait until the last month I plan to live here, and notify the owner by making my last month's rent payment minus the amount of the deposit.

My rationale:

Not only have I kept the place in excellent condition, I have made considerable improvements (window screens, gates, adding light fixtures and an air-conditioning unit,, etc.) Meanwhile I have been continually repainting, fixing doors and windows,, replacing almost all the electrical outlets/switches, and replacing many plumbing parts.

All this over 8 years, at my own expense.

I have always requested that the owner cover the normal maintenance (including a severely-leaking roof), but all requests have been ignored.

When I leave, I believe it's worth a try to attempt my own version of justice.

Edited by Fookhaht

Roblock Inunderstand. Sorry if i sounded brash i just have had my fair share of people who truly want to destroy the place for no other reason than they can. Might be only hotel owners I guess phuket is a bit special and maybe we have take liberties w the ability but honestly I have no interstate in a tenants deposit I want the place back in shape so I can rent it again.

There are many unscrupulous landlords and it is essential to do a picture itinized inventory signed and agree to all terms of the contract before signing. I even do a video walkthrough for long leases for houses w the individual agreeing to the state of the house on the date of signing BC I want to limit issues later.

What isnonsese is charging a tenant for small scuffs and such after a year. I'm paint the place anyways every few years so that's nonsense. However the previously post about not paying the last month or two would net the same result from most landlords thai or farang even if not in the contract.

Problem is leverage, as a tenant you don't have much leverage if they have the money. I see both sides of the coin, would be be no problem if everyone was honest. But there are bad people on both sides.

Hahahaha... I shouldn't laugh but that is quite funny. Though I would recommend he vacation elsewhere if she ever gets ahold of him likely he will be painted the same colors. M

when i was young we had multiple house parties in our city,usually resulted in police being called out ,neighbours filing court cases against landords that didnt care about the disturbances and leases being cancelled early by landlords that valued their neighbours sanity

usually the deposit was never returned and usually the damage to the house far excedded it anyway

in some cases , drains were blocked ,water upstairs was left on for days after tenants moved when the landlord gave them an ultimatum and refused their deposits and one house was even set on fire and made the local papers when the landlord decided to give the occupiers 24 hours to get out or a team of bone breakers would be coming around with hammers :D

some tenants from hell make the landlords from hell look good !

many landlords have a supereriority complex over those "peasants" that are renting from them wink.png

i learned since my teenage days ,a deposit is a gift to the owner ,NEVER EVER rely on getting a deposit back

there is always some aspect of a property that could use "upgrading" and quite often ,landlords feel they can re-decorate with the deposit

because the place looked fresher a year ago before these dirty animals tenants moved in ...... smile.png

I don't have a written contract, and didn't have to pay last month's rent on moving in. Since then, the property I rent has changed owners three times. This is why I don't plan on waiting to "get back" my deposit. I plan on "taking it back." I plan to wait until the last month I plan to live here, and notify the owner by making my last month's rent payment minus the amount of the deposit.

My rationale:

Not only have I kept the place in excellent condition, I have made considerable improvements (window screens, gates, adding light fixtures and an air-conditioning unit,, etc.) Meanwhile I have been continually repainting, fixing doors and windows,, replacing almost all the electrical outlets/switches, and replacing many plumbing parts.

I have always requested that the owner cover the normal maintenance (including a severely-leaking roof), but all requests have been ignored.

My rationale:

well good luck you might find you get more than you bargained for - of course if its a Thai landlord and a thai house in a thai village the deposit is hardly ever returned and is considered key money but your playing with fire and might get very badly burnt. In fact id go so far as to say your being very silly and for your sake I hope your landlord does not have heavy handed friends or family or police in the family Enjoy your sleepless nights in last month

I like that posters here are suggesting using the Thai legal system against bad landlords. Forget it.

Many years back my wife and I rented a house in Hua Hin. Paid deposit 2 months and one years rent in advance. After half a year a house came up for sale in the same soi and as we liked the neighbourhood, we decided to buy it. Moved and thought it was stupid to leave the rented house empty, contacted the owner and told him, that he could keep the rent and just pay the deposit back, and he was free to rent out the house straight away. But true to his genes, Thai-Chinese, he wanted to keep the deposit as well. I said no way, we will just leave house empty then. A couple of months later the extended family from Northeast came to visit, as usual quite a few of them, so I decided to put some of them in the rented house. BUT the dear landlord had changed the locks on a house where we still had prepaid for another 4 months. Called the police and met up with the landlord at the policestation, where the guy in charge (who we knew a little) told us to forget and get on with our lives, as the landlord was a very powerfull man around there. The best thing we could hope for, was for karma eventually catching up with this guy. So much for using the legal system here to solve rentaldisputes !!

I like that posters here are suggesting using the Thai legal system against bad landlords. Forget it.

Many years back my wife and I rented a house in Hua Hin. Paid deposit 2 months and one years rent in advance. After half a year a house came up for sale in the same soi and as we liked the neighbourhood, we decided to buy it. Moved and thought it was stupid to leave the rented house empty, contacted the owner and told him, that he could keep the rent and just pay the deposit back, and he was free to rent out the house straight away. But true to his genes, Thai-Chinese, he wanted to keep the deposit as well. I said no way, we will just leave house empty then. A couple of months later the extended family from Northeast came to visit, as usual quite a few of them, so I decided to put some of them in the rented house. BUT the dear landlord had changed the locks on a house where we still had prepaid for another 4 months. Called the police and met up with the landlord at the policestation, where the guy in charge (who we knew a little) told us to forget and get on with our lives, as the landlord was a very powerfull man around there. The best thing we could hope for, was for karma eventually catching up with this guy. So much for using the legal system here to solve rentaldisputes !!

correct if your a forang you dont stand a chance either as a tenant or a landlord The written law is same for Thais and forang the real world courts always side with Thai and even if a forang wins ive never ever in 17 years heard of a forang getting a court to enforce any payment although they will pretend to go through motions.

thats exactly true ,my ex wife owns a condominium building and a motorbiike renting shop in pattaya

we used to check the rooms /bikes etc and more often than not ,there was some breach of the contract

nearly every customer forgot the contract he signed and demanded he shouldnt pay anything for the damages

i used to see them regularly ,protesting their innocence of damage that wasnt there when they got the keys

i used to laugh when they called the thai police ,and get myself a beer for entertainment

policeman comes down ,tenant starts roaring and shoutig and is told to "stay quiet "

Thai wife tells Thai cop what farang did ,cop turns to raging farang and says in his finest english "you must pay or go jail "

any more shouting or threats and hand cuffs are put on the farang to be brought to the station

where i assume he paid more to be released ,they dont come back asking about deposits after

a night in the station

My rationale:

well good luck you might find you get more than you bargained for - of course if its a Thai landlord and a thai house in a thai village the deposit is hardly ever returned and is considered key money but your playing with fire and might get very badly burnt. In fact id go so far as to say your being very silly and for your sake I hope your landlord does not have heavy handed friends or family or police in the family Enjoy your sleepless nights in last month

No worries, mate! Considering the fact I pay my rent the last day of the rental month, I'll be long gone. tongue.png

My rationale:

No worries, mate! Considering the fact I pay my rent the last day of the rental month, I'll be long gone. tongue.png

You have no rights to retribution for deciding to make costly improvements and refurbishments to a rented house

even if if needs new windows and the landlord isnt around or doesnt care ,it doesnt mean you can buy new windows

and send him the bill

it just doesnt work like that

our landlord was a millionaire (uk pounds -not a thb millionare ;) ) and owned half the city

we caled him about a blocked toilet once ,he came around with a plunger and fixed it HIMSELF

he said we are lucky we didnt call a plumber because that would have cost us a lot of money,he doesnt pay

for 3rd party repairs :D

This is too much, where is the lease agreement? This is almost like criminal activities!! www.admincourt.go.th

Edited by ARISTIDE

As for the OP, I still think that you could review the contract agreement and go to the police. Sometime they could be helpful provided you have enough evidence material to support you. As a landlord my self I ALWAYS return deposit as long as there's no damaged done. Even normal wear and tear will not be calculated. They (the landlord) know what they are doing is wrong. Many Thai think most farangs don't want to risk the legal action over a few bahts.

My landlord took a 28,000B deposit (two months rent) for damages and unpaid bills. He immediatley took the deposit and opened a new restaurant in a shop house. Resaurant failed after two months. Having dealt with scum landlords previously, I did this understanding that there are many homes in my moo baan sitting empty and that the landlord desperately needed to keep the income flow:

I said I will not renew the lease and wish to keep on renting month by month w/30 day notice to move out.

Also said I wanted to have a dog.

AND...wanted my deposit returned over seven months by reducing the rent by 4,000 over that seven months.

The landlord had the choice of accepting my proposal or lose the property to the bank. He also saw that we keep his home much cleaner and taken care of than when they lived here. My wife literally has a cleaning obsession...may not work for everyone but did for me. He accepted my proposal after 10 seconds of thought, and now I have my full deposit back minus 4,000 that I told him to hold.That made him feel good.

My landlord took a 28,000B deposit (two months rent) for damages and unpaid bills. He immediatley took the deposit and opened a new restaurant in a shop house. Resaurant failed after two months. Having dealt with scum landlords previously, I did this understanding that there are many homes in my moo baan sitting empty and that the landlord desperately needed to keep the income flow:

I said I will not renew the lease and wish to keep on renting month by month w/30 day notice to move out.

Also said I wanted to have a dog.

AND...wanted my deposit returned over seven months by reducing the rent by 4,000 over that seven months.

The landlord had the choice of accepting my proposal or lose the property to the bank. He also saw that we keep his home much cleaner and taken care of than when they lived here. My wife literally has a cleaning obsession...may not work for everyone but did for me. He accepted my proposal after 10 seconds of thought, and now I have my full deposit back minus 4,000 that I told him to hold.That made him feel good.

You should teach negotiating skills at our local university!

ARISTIDE. We had a leaseagreement, signed by 2 witnesses, so paperwise I was in the right. At the time, where I was quite new to Thailand, I wanted to fight it. But my wife and the officer in charge told me to forget it, as it would be a waste of time and money. Today, after living here for many years, I would have come to the same conclusion myself. If you can't win, don't take the fight.

• Like 1