Songkran

Brunus

We had no problems down here in Ban Amphur. Did by accident drive through Ban Amphur on the ONE day they celebrated, and it was no problem. They politely knocked on my window and asked if they could put some power on my face. I say SURE! They put a bit on, and shared a beer with me though the window. Fantastic. No water on the car, no powder either. We proceeded on and had a lovely dinner on the sea.

No need to leave Thailand if you don't want to.

No water on the car, no powder either.

It really depends on where you live and work. Songkran in Chiang Mai is very different from what you're talking about.

Absolutely! Ban Amphur is just south of Pattaya. Which I avoid like the plague. Luckily, getting to Makro or Tesco is safe...if you can deal with the long lines then!

My point was there are many places here in Thailand where you can go and not have to worry about having water thrown in your face. Obviously that list doesn't include most of the major cities and tourist areas.

No water on the car, no powder either.

It really depends on where you live and work. Songkran in Chiang Mai is very different from what you're talking about.

Absolutely! Ban Amphur is just south of Pattaya. Which I avoid like the plague. Luckily, getting to Makro or Tesco is safe...if you can deal with the long lines then!

My point was there are many places here in Thailand where you can go and not have to worry about having water thrown in your face. Obviously that list doesn't include most of the major cities and tourist areas.

My first Songkran was in Nakhon Sawan and was a very civilised and enjoyable one.

It's the likes of Pattaya and Bangkok that spoil it for everyone but it's not just the daft Farangs on Beach Rd., even the Thai areas of Pattaya they go overboard.

My first Songkran was in Nakhon Sawan and was a very civilised and enjoyable one.

It's the likes of Pattaya and Bangkok that spoil it for everyone but it's not just the daft Farangs on Beach Rd., even the Thai areas of Pattaya they go overboard.

My first was in a very small village. You politely poured water on peoples shoulders and asked if you could put powder on people's faces...well...until later in the afternoon when the booze was flowing freely. Even then, it was great fun. Small squirt guns only. Occasionally a glass of water.

Those pickup trucks with huge barrels of water in the back are a real pain!

Thank you all.

I am not sure Cambodia does throw water. I doubt they will in Siem Reap and I suspect it will be tourist 'business as usual'. I hope so, because that is where I will be.

http://www.happywink...n-cambodia.html

This was our first choice too, but I read somewhere that they do play water in Cambodia too. Maybe it's not crazy like in Pattaya, but I would like to avoid damages to my camera and laptop. Anyway Vietnam and Malaysia are good alternatives. If anybody has been in Cambodia during Songkran please advise.

I spent last years Songhan in Bangkok and it was quiet pleasent as most had left to go back to the villages. A few kids throwing water at the taxis but they seemed to pick their marks as well - all done with restraint and fun. I,however, never went anywhere near Khao San Road which would be similar to Pattaya and that craziness.

My first was in a very small village. You politely poured water on peoples shoulders and asked if you could put powder on people's faces...well...until later in the afternoon when the booze was flowing freely. Even then, it was great fun. Small squirt guns only. Occasionally a glass of water.

Those pickup trucks with huge barrels of water in the back are a real pain!

Udon areas including small villiages are not dry friendly. Phisanoluk included.

Geez guys! Why all the party poopers? Sonkran's a blast! My wife and I will be cruising in a tuk tuk with our supersoakers blasting everone in sight and enjoying the cooling buckets over our heads chased by a face full of powder! Then to a bar to get blasted ourselves on some AMFs (The Americans here should be familiar with this drink and what the letters stand for! LOL). I always carry the recipe on my phone for the bartenders here!

Geez guys! Why all the party poopers? Sonkran's a blast! My wife and I will be cruising in a tuk tuk with our supersoakers blasting everone in sight and enjoying the cooling buckets over our heads chased by a face full of powder! Then to a bar to get blasted ourselves on some AMFs (The Americans here should be familiar with this drink and what the letters stand for! LOL). I always carry the recipe on my phone for the bartenders here!

Thanks AZBill you have just provided the best evidence possible for justifying my escape to Cambodia.

Thanks AZBill you have just provided the best evidence possible for justifying my escape to Cambodia.

Hahaha! Touche'! Have fun.

• Like 1