Uk Budget Not Good News For Pensioners

exeter

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed there is now a significant threat to the NHS in England. Things will not change overnight, but the contracts about to be let to private firms (both as providers and commissioning support to CCGs) will be hard to undo, even if there is a change of Government. I would guess the health service will look very different in 15 years time. Even Foundation Trust hospitals will be able to run a larger part of their operation (up to 49% of income) for private patients. This has sneaked though without much publicity and will certainly impact on older people. You can see the shape of things to come in Devon where either Serco or Virgin Care looks set to get the contract for childrens services

http://www.healthinv...CookieSupport=1

There is a suspicion here that the large donations to the main political parties from the private health care industry have had an impact - something that links with the breaking story today about cash for influence on policy. I would be surprised if the consolidation of a mixed public/private health care system doesn't lead to a tightening up on access to care for returning expats (who currently tend to get the benefit of the doubt from NHS hospitals). This is drifting slightly off topic, but the changes to the NHS are part of the same policy agenda that is reflected in the budget, and won't help any but the most wealthy expat OAPs.

Serco run the Docklands Light Railway, so you can see why they could fit in with the NHS cant you!

Most pensioners know how to live the right way in Thailand, it does my head in listening to them moaning

and groaning," i cannot get a rise on my pension, i cannot use the NHSS,",do what any sensible person

does, keep an address in Britain, and you will get everything, including the heating allowance, you will

find that you need it next month for your air cons.

It also "does my head in" when people advise others to break the law and illegally claim benefits by telling lies.

If you are ordinarily resident in the UK you are entitled to all the benefits you have outlined, if you are not then you aren't, whether you keep an address in Britain or not.

I personally don't think many sensible people try to claim benefits to which they are not entitled.

First and foremost - I really get passed off with the hand out, Britain owes me a free ride attitude so prevalent in the UK and amongst more than a few members here.

But the UK LAW (Magna Carta) does not allow the government to refuse a UK Citizen entry to the UK - Shall come and go without let or hindrance is the term.

The UK LAW currently allows any British Citizen who lives in the UK or who is returning to live in the UK to use the services of the NHS.

Owning a home in the UK allows one to return there anytime you wish and take advantage of the benefits the UK offers.

An alternative is, not owning a home in the UK then returning and throwing yourself on the mercy of the welfare system.

Keeping a home in the UK incase you need to return (for whatever reason) is not breaking the law, lying, cheating or being a cad. It is common sense.

Owning a home in the UK when you are living the majority of the time in a distant land does not guarantee you the same benefits as permananent UK residents, you may have th adress but you are not living there and that is the difference, if you claim for things giving the impression you are there all the time is breaking the law. I think that is what OLDGIT is trying to say.

Owning a home in the UK when you are living the majority of the time in a distant land does not guarantee you the same benefits as permananent UK residents, you may have th adress but you are not living there and that is the difference, if you claim for things giving the impression you are there all the time is breaking the law. I think that is what OLDGIT is trying to say.

Still incorrect. As a British Citizen you cannot be refused the right to return to the UK - Treatment by the NHS is "FREE AT THE POINT OF NEED" so regardless of what your status is, British, Foreigner, Legal, Illegal Immigrant, Passing Through or Staying Permanently - You will receive your treatment "FREE AT THE POINT OF NEED"

To be entitled to Free Treatment under the NHS with no following bill you need to be ordinary resident OR returning to take up permanent residence.

I've returned to the UK to take up permanent residence three times in the past 18 years - each time I stayed less than 2 years - but my intention was to return to take up permanent residence.

Adds, one of these occasions I was medivacted to the UK - Yes flown home on a stretcher all tubed up with a doctor and nurse to take me from a Thai hospital to a UK hospital - Perfectly Legal.

The other two occasions because I was taking up permanent work in the UK.

Regardless

If an individual is seriously ill and needs long term treatment then it is a fair bet that they intend to stay permanently and are not flying in one week and out the next.

Those are the rules and the laws - it is not illegal to follow the rules or the laws.

I'd gladly give up my pension, provided they pay me back all my NI contribution.

Will you also reimburse any health care you have enjoyed, subsidised prescriptions and unemployment benefits received?

Why do people persist with this myth that the only benefit paid for by NI contributions is your state pension. NI contributions cover a huge range of other benefits also.

Does that include making sure that , imigrants, illegal imigrants and asilum seekers and the like are better looked after and paid MUCH better allowances than Pensioners who Did pay their dues, please do not quote the Racial card as the only people who are being discriminated against in ENGLAND are the BRITISH

• Like 1

Please keep in mind the state pension is one thing, welfare is quite another. Pensioners who receive the standard pension of around £100 a week are almost all entitled to extra payments to bring their income up.

The move to bring in a minimum pension of £140 recognises this - a flat universal payment which gets around having to administer the means testing that is applied to the poorest pensioners in order to give them a living income.

Add this to assistance with housing costs, free bus passes, assistance with heating costs and of course free health care and it really can't be said that the UK's pensioners are badly done by.

Unless they just happen to want to live in Thailand where they get none of the above, their pension frozen, and an aproxinate REDUCTION of 30% in the pension paid to them while they are here, no, not badly done by ?? MORE LIKE SHIT ON FROM A GREAT HIGHT by a government who couldn't give a toss

You need to be aware of this, you are going to see a few years of no increases until the equilibrium is reached, this not good news.

Have you tried complaining to the UK government about this issue? rolleyes.gif

Emailed my MP on thursday and you?

I'm not from the UK, so I'm really not too interested, thank you very much. smile.png

Then why bother following this topic and making comments ?
  • Like 2

Please keep in mind the state pension is one thing, welfare is quite another. Pensioners who receive the standard pension of around £100 a week are almost all entitled to extra payments to bring their income up.

The move to bring in a minimum pension of £140 recognises this - a flat universal payment which gets around having to administer the means testing that is applied to the poorest pensioners in order to give them a living income.

Add this to assistance with housing costs, free bus passes, assistance with heating costs and of course free health care and it really can't be said that the UK's pensioners are badly done by.

Unless they just happen to want to live in Thailand where they get none of the above, their pension frozen, and an aproxinate REDUCTION of 30% in the pension paid to them while they are here, no, not badly done by ?? MORE LIKE SHIT ON FROM A GREAT HIGHT by a government who couldn't give a toss

To be fair this is not the only government that has not taken too much care of the pensioners or indeed the British People!

Although you can argue amongst yourselves what taking care of the British people might mean, its subjective.

But, Guesthouse, you are now talking about NHS treatment for returning and visiting ex-pats not pensions and benefits which we were discussing earlier, and even with your experience you have only got it partially right, you seem to be cherry picking the rules.

Nobody has suggested that a British Citizen can be refused the right to return to the UK, I don't know where you got that from. I'm not sure that the phrase "Shall come and go without let or hindrance" was enshrined in the Magna Carter, I think that came in one of the early Nationality Acts, when the Magna Carter was written England had feudal laws and it was produced to encompass all of these, prevent a barons war and protect the liberties of citizens. I don't think that in King John's reign many Brits travelled overseas, unless they were off to The Crusades.

You are correct in suggesting that all UK Nationals can pitch up at any NHS Hospital and receive treatment, but unless you are ordinarily resident, a term enshrined in common law, this treatment is restricted to emergency treatment, any ongoing treatment should be charged. Any person can receive emergency treatment, be they UK residents, visiting ex-pats or, in fact, any visitors to the UK. If you are an ex-pat and visiting the UK and not ordinarily resident you are required to pay for ongoing treatment, despite the fact that you may have paid NI contributions for 40 years, even if you are currently paying UK Tax you cannot get free ongoing treatment.

You are right in saying that a returning national can receive ongoing treatment following emergency treatment, and you have proved this to be correct, three times, NHS Trusts are supposed to satisfy themselves that you are actually returning for good, but I suspect they don't, your experience certainly seems to suggest that to be the case, and I'm glad that you were able to get ongoing treatment in these circumstances, but I suspect in the future NHS Trusts will need to be more robust with their checks, SERCO certainly would be.

There used to be a rule that a person who is in receipt of a UK State Pension and has lived in the UK for at least ten years could receive NHS treatment, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Anyway back to the question of benefits, the comment I responded to, the fact remains that unless you are ordinarily resident in the UK, you are not entitled to receive benefits or an uplift in your State Pension, whether you maintain an address, real or made up, in the UK, to attempt to do so is illegal.

• Like 1

Can someone please tell me where it is written down that the government, welfare office or pension office are required to peovide people with the funds to retire overseas?

The last time I looked the rules whwere exactly what they always where - there is no commitment or requirement to provide pension increases for people retiring in Thailand.

This was the case when I first came here 20 years ago, has always been the case and remains the case.

I'm not retired yet, but having taken note of the rules I'm making a financial plan based on the rules as they are and the understanding that if I want to retire here comfortably I need to fund my own retirement.

Turning up here with no financial plan, insufficient funds or income and a belief that someone else owes me my expat retirement dream is not part of my plan.

Expat life is expensive, only a fool would believe the UK State pension is enough to finance such a life.

Only an idiot would turn up here and then discover the rules they should have read up on before they set off.

• Like 2

Expat life is expensive, only a fool would believe the UK State pension is enough to finance such a life.

Only an idiot would turn up here and then discover the rules they should have read up on before they set off.

I actually live here on 10k a month, you are right ex-pat life is expensive but a normal 'UK equivalent pensioner' lifestyle is really cheap.

If I live long enough to claim my UK pension, it will triple my income (or more).

My advice to all who find Thailand expensive, stop living like a tourist.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

There used to be a rule that a person who is in receipt of a UK State Pension and has lived in the UK for at least ten years could receive NHS treatment, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

I have checked on this rule, and whilst it's off topic it might be of interest to some people.

Under the current Regulations, anyone who has spent more than 6 months of the past 12 living outside the UK may no longer be entitled to free NHS hospital treatment in England. However, depending on your circumstances, you might still be considered ordinarily resident in the UK even if you have been absent for more than 6 months. Ordinarily resident is a common law concept interpreted by the House of Lords in 1982 as someone who is living lawfully in the United Kingdom voluntarily and for settled purposes as part of the regular order of their life for the time being, with an identifiable purpose for their residence here which has a sufficient degree of continuity to be properly described as settled. If you are no longer ordinarily resident in the UK then you will have to be exempt from charges in order to receive free NHS hospital treatment.

If you have a UK state retirement pension and have lived in the UK (or been employed as a UK crown servant) for ten continuous years at some point in the past, you will be exempt from charges for treatment the need for which arises during your visit to the UK. This means treatment needed where the diagnosis of a condition is made when first symptoms arise during a visit to the UK. It also applies where, in the opinion of a doctor or dentist employed by an NHS hospital, treatment is needed quickly to prevent a pre-existing condition increasing in severity, eg dialysis. It does not include routine monitoring of an existing condition such as diabetes.

One thing to note is that to take advantage of this the condition must be diagnosed in the UK, it's not designed for people to hop on a plane when they become ill, though it can be used to stop a pre-existing condition becoming worse.

I have supplied a link for information as it gives advice on all treatment for those who who do not live in the UK full time http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_128863

I'd gladly give up my pension, provided they pay me back all my NI contribution.

Will you also reimburse any health care you have enjoyed, subsidised prescriptions and unemployment benefits received?

Why do people persist with this myth that the only benefit paid for by NI contributions is your state pension. NI contributions cover a huge range of other benefits also.

Does that include making sure that , imigrants, illegal imigrants and asilum seekers and the like are better looked after and paid MUCH better allowances than Pensioners who Did pay their dues, please do not quote the Racial card as the only people who are being discriminated against in ENGLAND are the BRITISH

Huh? What does this have to do with National Insurance contributions and their relation to the UK state pension?

Can someone please tell me where it is written down that the government, welfare office or pension office are required to peovide people with the funds to retire overseas?

The last time I looked the rules whwere exactly what they always where - there is no commitment or requirement to provide pension increases for people retiring in Thailand.

This was the case when I first came here 20 years ago, has always been the case and remains the case.

I'm not retired yet, but having taken note of the rules I'm making a financial plan based on the rules as they are and the understanding that if I want to retire here comfortably I need to fund my own retirement.

Turning up here with no financial plan, insufficient funds or income and a belief that someone else owes me my expat retirement dream is not part of my plan.

Best post on the subject, and the most sensible advice I can think of. It's precisely what I've been saying.

When you are making such a massive decision to retire in Thailand - a country with no social welfare to speak of, even for its own people, let alone foreigners - it is encumbent upon you to understand the rules as they affect your retirement planning, and adjust your expectations and planning accordingly.

It is that simple.

It's got nothing to do with being callous or smug or anything else I've been accused of in this thread. I believe inherently in individual responsibility and I plan accordingly. To place my retirement planning in the hands of the government which can change the rules so arbitrarily is utter and complete folly.

I have checked on this rule, and whilst it's off topic it might be of interest to some people.

Under the current Regulations, anyone who has spent more than 6 months of the past 12 living outside the UK may no longer be entitled to free NHS hospital treatment in England. However, depending on your circumstances, you might still be considered ordinarily resident in the UK even if you have been absent for more than 6 months. Ordinarily resident is a common law concept interpreted by the House of Lords in 1982 as someone who is living lawfully in the United Kingdom voluntarily and for settled purposes as part of the regular order of their life for the time being, with an identifiable purpose for their residence here which has a sufficient degree of continuity to be properly described as settled. If you are no longer ordinarily resident in the UK then you will have to be exempt from charges in order to receive free NHS hospital treatment.

If you have a UK state retirement pension and have lived in the UK (or been employed as a UK crown servant) for ten continuous years at some point in the past, you will be exempt from charges for treatment the need for which arises during your visit to the UK. This means treatment needed where the diagnosis of a condition is made when first symptoms arise during a visit to the UK. It also applies where, in the opinion of a doctor or dentist employed by an NHS hospital, treatment is needed quickly to prevent a pre-existing condition increasing in severity, eg dialysis. It does not include routine monitoring of an existing condition such as diabetes.

One thing to note is that to take advantage of this the condition must be diagnosed in the UK, it's not designed for people to hop on a plane when they become ill, though it can be used to stop a pre-existing condition becoming worse.

I have supplied a link for information as it gives advice on all treatment for those who who do not live in the UK full time http://www.dh.gov.uk...sable/DH_128863

theoldgit

Your comments and information might be appreciated over at ... http://www.thaivisa....-circumstances/

I actually live here on 10k a month, you are right ex-pat life is expensive but a normal 'UK equivalent pensioner' lifestyle is really cheap.

If I live long enough to claim my UK pension, it will triple my income (or more).

That is the key, live like a local, then enjoy life. Anyone who comes here to live for more than 3 months would be foolish indeed to continue to live like a tourist.

Do your homework, appraise your finances and see if it works.

That is the key, live like a local, then enjoy life. Anyone who comes here to live for more than 3 months would be foolish indeed to continue to live like a tourist.

Do your homework, appraise your finances and see if it works.

That is so right, planning is essential, retiring earley before being in receipt of my pension, I hung on to a nice chunk and put it aside, it was a good days work because I didn't see 2007-8 coming. huh.png

Best post on the subject, and the most sensible advice I can think of. It's precisely what I've been saying.

When you are making such a massive decision to retire in Thailand - a country with no social welfare to speak of, even for its own people, let alone foreigners - it is encumbent upon you to understand the rules as they affect your retirement planning, and adjust your expectations and planning accordingly.

It is that simple.

It's got nothing to do with being callous or smug or anything else I've been accused of in this thread. I believe inherently in individual responsibility and I plan accordingly. To place my retirement planning in the hands of the government which can change the rules so arbitrarily is utter and complete folly.

You are on the button that you need to do your homework and sort out your own finances for the future, DO NOT RELY ON OTHERS. It is also important to do all this in good time, in can never be to early. Whilst saying this it was my choice to do this and well as Bendix and others no doubt but I never recieved any financial planning advice when I was at school/college or at any time in life apart from what I learnt from my parents,so it is of no surprise that others have not much in that department you may argue that is no ones faault other than themselves, well IMHO that is also a responsibility of the state to make you aware of your own responsiblities, it should be part of the education system.

When at work I would take meetings with the staff to make them aware of the upcoming retirement and how you are going to fund it, unfortunately I was taken on one side by the person who was supposssed to be that and told to stop, even though they had done nothing and continued to do nothing. The reason I did bring the subject was up that I cared about my friends and how they were going to manage their lives, the same way I am concerned for the pensioners here and the plight they may find themselves in the future because of the latest measures by UK govt plc to hit their pocket. Its a raid as always by the government of whatever persuasion they are and the individuals responsible are in a much more healthy financial position than the people they are going to affect in the majority of sitiuations, situations they have never been in and will likely be for a number of years.I also repeat to Bendix and others who have yet to reach the retirement part of there lives until you get there, experience it and understand the differences it is not what you might imagine, its a bit like a door you go through, it only go one way, you had better make sure you have everything you need and understand exactly what is on the other side, because you aint coming back!

Edited by exeter

840,000 people on low incomes have been taken out of paying income tax and people are whinging about pensioners not being given an increase in their tax free allowance which is already a higher allowance than given to people who are working and carrying pensioners and everyone else who does not work on their pay packet deductions.

A helping hand to 840,000 people at the bottom of the ladder -that's not good news, it's great news

But sadly - in the whingy whiney non-thinking climate that is modern day Britain - people prefer to focus on the reduction of the 50% top rate, a tax which raised no money at all - indeed could be argued to have cost the country money as high tax payers like me left the UK shortly after its introduction - and was a pathetic populist political gesture by Darling, Brown and his mob.

Rats and sinking ships springs to mind.
  • Like 1

Just a little aside for anybody who is playing the UK Lottery, one of the benefits of living in the UK! If you are playing by DD you need to be physically in the UK or the IOM when you buy your tickets, DD or cash over the counter or whatever, that is the rules, From 23 April anyone attempting to access their account from oustide of the UK or IOM will not be able to, new software to stop you is being installed by Camelot, if you try and fail I expect they also have your finger print as well so be warned all of you who think you have a UK bank account, UK adress, things aint what they used to be!

Dont count on it as part of your possible financial planninghit-the-fan.gif

Edited by exeter

Just a little aside for anybody who is playing the UK Lottery, one of the benefits of living in the UK! If you are playing by DD you need to be physically in the UK or the IOM when you buy your tickets, DD or cash over the counter or whatever, that is the rules, From 23 April anyone attempting to access their account from oustide of the UK or IOM will not be able to, new software to stop you is being installed by Camelot, if you try and fail I expect they also have your finger print as well so be warned all of you who think you have a UK bank account, UK adress, things aint what they used to be!

ye just had a e mail from camelot,telling me the same info.

840,000 people on low incomes have been taken out of paying income tax and people are whinging about pensioners not being given an increase in their tax free allowance which is already a higher allowance than given to people who are working and carrying pensioners and everyone else who does not work on their pay packet deductions.

A helping hand to 840,000 people at the bottom of the ladder -that's not good news, it's great news

But sadly - in the whingy whiney non-thinking climate that is modern day Britain - people prefer to focus on the reduction of the 50% top rate, a tax which raised no money at all - indeed could be argued to have cost the country money as high tax payers like me left the UK shortly after its introduction - and was a pathetic populist political gesture by Darling, Brown and his mob.

Rats and sinking ships springs to mind.

Quite right.

I have seen 'Titanic' and I don't want to be that bloke on the violin with the sea lapping over his ankles.

And to think I used to vote Conservative for years back in the last century.

Where is Screaming Lord Sutch and the Official Monster Raving Loony Party when I need them?

http://en.wikipedia....ming_Lord_Sutch

You should continue (if you still have a vote). They are continuing a glorious tradition of protecting the extremely wealthy at the expense of the poorest in society.

Not that the Labour party is any better sad.png ...

Voting for none of the bastards would (hopefully) deliver the short, salutary shock that is needed. Unfortunately its unlikely to happen.

Edited by F1fanatic

Just a little aside for anybody who is playing the UK Lottery, one of the benefits of living in the UK!

A benefit? The National Lottery is just a tax on those who are bad at maths!

It is a tax on the poor who dream of riches ( at very bad odds) just like the Thai lottery! But almost every day of the week you dream of the big time coming to a bank near you!
  • Like 1

And to think I used to vote Conservative for years back in the last century.

Where is Screaming Lord Sutch and the Official Monster Raving Loony Party when I need them?

http://en.wikipedia....ming_Lord_Sutch

You should continue (if you still have a vote). They are continuing a glorious tradition of protecting the extremely wealthy at the expense of the poorest in society.

Not that the Labour party is any better sad.png ...

Voting for none of the bastards would (hopefully) deliver the short, salutary shock that is needed. Unfortunately its unlikely to happen.

If you will pardon the expression I wouldn't p*** on any politician if they were on fire though I would willingly pay for the gas to keep the fire going.

To me politicians are like flies. There are thousands of them and though they must have a purpose in life it is beyond the comprehension of most people.

Of course it would be better if they were like lemmings with a big cliff nearby.

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1