Thailand Highway Code

Thetyim

Is there a highway code printed in LOS ?

I have copied this from the Cardiff Consulate website.

One or two suprises in it.

1. Max speed limit is 80 kph. Is that correct?

I thought is was 110 kph

13. You MUST give a warning when overtaking

15. Sorry but I can't stop myself laughing at this one.

Blow your horn particulaly at deaf people.

Are these rules actually written into the law ?

IS DRIVING EASY & WHAT ARE THE RULES OF THE ROAD?

As precautionary measures to prevent and avoid road accidents, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) urges all road users to strictly observe the following traffic regulations and guidelines.

1. Before putting a vehicle into motion always check the following: driver’s license, yearly vehicle tax payments sticker, yearly vehicle insurance payment sticker, license plate and vehicle condition such as wheel brake, emergency brake, headlights, tail lights etc.

- The maximum speed limit for cars inside a city limit is 60km/hr and 80km/hr for outside a city limit.

- The maximum speed limit for motorcycles inside a city limit is 60km/hr and 80km/hr for outside a city limit.

- The driver should pay special attention to highway signs posted on the left-hand side of the road for specified speed limits.

2. Always drive on the left side of the road. When there are two or more lanes for traffic in the same direction, slower vehicles must use the leftmost lane except when passing or making a right turn.

3. Always slow down to a safe and reasonable speed when driving on a narrow road or when approaching curves, intersections, business or residential areas, road construction zone and oncoming vehicles.

4. Never pass any vehicle when driving through residential areas, intersections, curves, or over a bridge. Always pass other vehicles on the right.

Never pass other vehicles on the left except when the leading vehicle is making a right turn or when there are two or more lanes for traffic in the same direction.

5. When driving at night, always turn on headlights and tail lights.

6. Broken down or parked vehicles must be parked on the side of the road or the shoulder of the road. A warning sign that can be seen over an appropriate distance must be displayed. At night-time emergency red lights must be used to provide warning.

7.Give the right of way signal to vehicles coming from main roads.

8. Strictly obey traffic lights and posted traffic signs.

9. Never control a vehicle while under the influence of drugs or intoxicating liquor; or while being sick or dizzy.

10. Always take safety precautions while in control of a vehicle.

11. Always allow a safe distance while following a vehicle.

12. Slow down to a reasonable speed and do not sound the horn if it is not necessary while passing through the following zones: school, hospital or public agency.

13. Always give a headlight signal or sound the horn and make sure there are no obstructions or oncoming vehicles before passing the leading vehicle.

14. When a driver is involved in an accident that causes injuries or property damages, always provide assistance wherever necessary. Immediately notify the nearest police station and identify yourself as well. The driver who fails to stop at the scene of the accident for which he is responsible would be considered guilty and might be sentenced to imprisonment.

15. Sound the horn and slow down the vehicle when approaching a stopped vehicle that is letting passengers get on or off and give warning particularly to deaf and blind persons.

16. Safety rules for pedestrians

- Always use sidewalks or road shoulders if there are any; if not, always walk on the right side of the road to be able to see oncoming vehicles.

- Always cross the road only when it is absolutely safe to do so, especially in Bangkok. Please watch out for bus lanes as buses sometimes run against the traffic flow.

- When crossing the road at night-time always do so at a lighted area or use a flashlight for identification purposes.

- Always obey traffic lights, i.e. cross the road only when the red traffic light is on for the approaching vehicles, and make sure that the vehicles have come to a complete stop.

17. Safety rules for bus passengers

- Always wait for a bus or a vehicle on the sidewalk, the road shoulder, or at bus stops.

- Before getting on a bus or a vehicle, wait until it has stopped completely and other passengers who want to get off have done so.

- Always take a seat when it is available; if not stay inside the bus or the vehicle. Do not stand on the doorsteps.

- Never get on or get off the bus or the vehicle while it is moving, waiting for traffic lights or while it is in the middle of the road.

- For private or public vehicles, the passengers should always get on or get off the vehicles where it is not prohibited. Always stop the vehicles at the sidewalks and get on or get off on the left side of the vehicle.

There is something called the Land Transportation Act. which supposedly has the Road Laws in both Thai and English. Ive been told that its available at some Asia book shops , but i have tried a few and have had no luck as yet.

I thought that the max speed was 90 on the highways and 50 in built up areas, with the exception being 120 on some of the expressways.

From what I understand, the 90kph speed limit was put in place for all city/suburban areas of Bangkok earlier this year or perhaps last year. The speed limit signs on the expressways say 120kph except in areas that have toll booths or towns/cities.

Edited by Thaiboxer

15. Sound the horn and slow down the vehicle when approaching a stopped vehicle that is letting passengers get on or off and give warning particularly to deaf and blind persons.

So does this mean if a person is deaf and blind you need to get out of the car and tap them on the shoulder? :o

Motorcycles and elevated roads and overpasses are a curious topic - they are allowed on some and not on others. Police often hunt them down on exits.

They are also allowed only during certain times of the day, and sometimes the police will not take any interest, sometimes they will stop and fine you...

Many motosais will make a u-turn in the middle of an overpass when they see a policeman collecting tea-money at the end of it... :o

I thought that the highway code in Thailand was far more simple. From my experience they seem to be -

1. If I toot, get the <deleted> outta my way

2. If I flash, don't even think about it!

3. So what if I am driving the wrong way down a dual-carriageway?

4. I don't wear a crash helmet on a motorcycle or, if I do, one of those plastic things that wouldn't do much for my chances if I did come off.

5. So, I'm taking the whole family out for the day - who said I can't pack them all onto one moped?

6. I'm a street vendor, of course I have a perfect right to tootle along at 15 mph in the outside lane of a dual carriageway.

7. So my front wheels leave the ground every time I move off - how else am I supposed to deliver this fully grown tree?

8. OK, so I have the pickup loaded up to a height of around 50 feet and the whole thing is unstable - I'll just have to avoid low bridges won't I?

9. Yes, it's perfectly legal (and natural) to drive my motorcycle on the pavement.

10. And yes, it's perfectly alright to overtake, undertake, pass on the hard shoulder, pass in the bike lane, pass anywhere as long as I can get past.