Thai Baht On Upward Trend

CURRENCY

Thai baht on upward trend

The Nation

30178536-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai baht could strengthen upto 29.50 per US dollar thanks to the capital inflows, which have amounted to nearly Bt180 billion so far this year, said Kasikorn Research Centre.

Yet, lingering concerns on the global economy mainly the eurozone debt crisis as well as oil spikes which would pressure Thailand’s current account surplus, the baht would be weakened. The economic house expected the baht to move in the range of 29.50-32.50 per dollar this year.

The baht has past the lowest level and now it is heading up, said Wiwan Tharahirunchote, executive chairman. The level would depend largely on inflows and outflows, she added.

According to the research centre, while net inflows to the stock exchange so far this year have amounted to Bt74 billion, inflows to the Thai bond market are as high as Bt100 billion.

In the near term, this is not expected to encourage the Bank of Thailand to raise the policy rate in the next 3-6 months. Still, should global risks heighten and oil prices further increase, the central bank may raise the policy rate in the last quarter.

The house expected inflation to average 3.9 per cent this year, while the economy should expand at 5 per cent. Pimolwan Mahajchariyawong, assistant vice president, Kasikorn Research Centre, said that inflation could spike to 4 per cent in the latter half due to oil prices and higher wage, from 3.5 per cent in the first half.

While saying that the eurozone debt crisis is not yet over and will further pressure the global economy and Thailand, which should witness greater volatility in stock markets and exchange rates, Pimolwan did not expect the conflict in the Middle East to develop into to a full war. She said that as the US is holding the presidential election, all wars should be avoided. In this situation, though Saudi Arabia is raising output, if the conflict is prolonged, average oil price this year could rise 84 per cent from 2011 to US$195 per barrel.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-22

Do not believe this for one second

Not from where i see. all Exchanges are still about the same today in MBK was 30.45 Bth per $. Beside i have no faith in the people in charge of economy in Thailand

I have no faith in the people in charge of the economy ANYWHERE!!

In a nut shell

Not from where i see. all Exchanges are still about the same today in MBK was 30.45 Bth per $. Beside i have no faith in the people in charge of economy in Thailand

fortunately for you, they don't control the currency markets.

What don't you believe?

The pure facts that record inflows of foreign capital have boosted the Thai stock exchange, or its causal link on the value of the Baht?

Or don't you believe the projection that the baht will continue to strengthen?

Like it or not, a strong baht is hear to stay for many many many years to come and there is a very simple reason for that. Global capital flows are moving from the west to the east.

End of discussion.

fortunately for you, they don't control the currency markets.

Sadly, samran, there are plenty of people on here who resentfully cling to the view that the high Baht is a being controlled by Machiavellian forces in the Thai government.

Sadly, samran, there are plenty of people on here who resentfully cling to the view that the high Baht is a being controlled by Machiavellian forces in the Thai government.

I think they wear tin-foil hats as well.

Not if the Chinese economy dives on the other hand $$$$ that would go there could come here. Don't forget the ASEAN marriage is around the corner. Finally if a certain past PM would disappear there's no end to how strong the Thai baht and economy could be.

The Thai are nothing if not resilient.

do both of you insist the strength of the Baht is not a conspiracy based on xenophobia aimed at Farangs? huh.png

• Like 1

What don't you believe?

The pure facts that record inflows of foreign capital have boosted the Thai stock exchange, or its causal link on the value of the Baht?

Like it or not, a strong baht is hear to stay for many many many years to come and there is a very simple reason for that. Global capital flows are moving from the west to the east.

End of discussion.

let's tar and feather Bendix and then crucify him! annoyed.gif

do both of you insist the strength of the Baht is not a conspiracy based on xenophobia aimed at Farangs? huh.png

Of course it is. I mean, those central bankers (remember, they are all 'Thai Chinese' - the smart ones) who are deliberately ramping up the value of the baht from 2000 baht to the pound in 1997 to current levels so that those well meaning, good natured Englanders can't live on their GBP80/week pension payment in Thailand.

Add to that the usual double pricing, 'ripping off' of tourists and all sorts of scams pulled off by their so called 'issan' girlfriends (remember, they are Thai Chinese too, dressed up as poor farm girls taking one - but often many - for the team) and you have clear evidence of a drive to implement what really is a Siamese version of Lebensraum.

Of course it is. I mean, those central bankers (remember, they are all 'Thai Chinese' - the smart ones) who are deliberately ramping up the value of the baht from 2000 baht to the pound in 1997 to current levels so that those well meaning, good natured Englanders can't live on their GBP80/week pension payment in Thailand.

Add to that the usual double pricing, 'ripping off' of tourists and all sorts of scams pulled off by their so called 'issan' girlfriends (remember, they are Thai Chinese too, dressed up as poor farm girls taking one - but often many - for the team) and you have clear evidence of a drive to implement what really is a Siamese version of Lebensraum.

i think there's more to it and Thais are blamed for anything negative that happens just because they are around, available and much more clever than Farangs. if Farangs were clever they'd realise that the decade old buffalo sickness is not an invention of bar girls but a reality caused by aliens, most probably Ferengis who skim Farang cash to increase their profits. we Klingons know that Feringis are without honour!

only a few days ago, when i had my daily 9 bottles of Singha in Soi 6, i tried to present my case and (unfortunately only circumstancial) evidence to a bunch of Farangs who refused to listen and made me very angry. but i admit my judgment might have been flawed and i should have been more lenient.

obviously they did not understand whatever i presented because their command of English was rather limited... they must have been Brits ph34r.png

What don't you believe?

End of discussion.

kiss it

Title of this article is rather short: an upward trend relative to what ? The American Dollar ? Fact is that last few days the Thai Baht went down rapidly, that is almost 2 % down, when accurately compared to the Euro.

only a few days ago, when i had my daily 9 bottles of Singha in Soi 6, i tried to present my case and (unfortunately only circumstancial) evidence to a bunch of Farangs who refused to listen and made me very angry. but i admit my judgment might have been flawed and i should have been more lenient.

obviously they did not understand whatever i presented because their command of English was rather limited... they must have been Brits ph34r.png

Only 9 bottles. I'm sorry, but I'm not prepared to take financial advice from a girl.
  • Like 1

What don't you believe?

End of discussion.

kiss it

kiss it real good?

i think there's more to it and Thais are blamed for anything negative that happens just because they are around, available and much more clever than Farangs. if Farangs were clever they'd realise that the decade old buffalo sickness is not an invention of bar girls but a reality caused by aliens, most probably Ferengis who skim Farang cash to increase their profits. we Klingons know that Feringis are without honour!

More like a Cardassian plot.

kiss it

Kiss what?

You haven't explained what you don't believe.

I love how so many westerners take the Baht's strength as a personal slight at best, or some kind of manipulated scam at worst. It's almost as if they can't believe the sheer effrontery of what they believe to be a basketcase currency / country etc can be so strong compared to their own currencies, and the impact it has on their beer and whoring activities.

Face it people. The supremacy of the west is dead. Decades of living beyond your means has destroyed your currencies and the smart money is moving over to Asia (where people and their governments understand the value of living within their means), and all Asian economies will be the beneficiaries.

Don't believe me? Go and compare the GDP growth rates of the west versus the east, and come back and explain to us why you think the baht, the RMB, the Sing dollar etc is going to weaken against the bankrupt dollar, euro or pound?

• Like 1

Don't believe me? Go and compare the GDP growth rates of the west versus the east, and come back and explain to us why you think the baht, the RMB, the Sing dollar etc is going to weaken against the bankrupt dollar, euro or pound?

what a question! dry.png of course because of

the impact it has on their beer and whoring activities.

;)

I'm kinda scratching my head on this one...... Yes, since Jan 1st, the baht has been strengthening against the US dollar. But the quote I focused on in the article was this:

The economic house expected the baht to move in the range of 29.50-32.50 per dollar this year.

In the last 15 months, the baht has ranged from 29.56 to 31.56 (bid rates, from OANDA). So, this less-than-earth-shaking article says, in effect,'the baht may strengthen to 6 satang better than last year. However, the downside has it possibly trading this year at a baht lower than last.'

Guess the article should be entitled: "Baht Strengthens For Now. But Don't Hold your Breath."