Why I Don'T See No Farang Eating At Mk Suki Ever!

ARISTIDE

Used to go every Sunday, love it.

It's not bland at all if you order the chilli and garlic to put into the nice MK sauce and add lemon juice to the sauce, too. Put heaps of vegetables into the suki pot and if you order duck, the sauce is very nice, too, not bland either. Lots of things to chose from, can make very healthy choices ...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear the comment that MK is bland over and over again. Here is a hint...try the sauce!

I agree with you there. You have the option to spice it up. When I used to go there, I always did.

I don't go often but the children like it so have to make allowances occasionally.

They like the bland food but I put garlic and chillies in the generic sauce provided and it makes a world of difference - not enough to make me want to go unless the children plead however!

The Duck I think is very good - but best to order a large plate otherwise you seem to get a lot of fatty skin and not much meat.

Patrick

I love MK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stick some lemon juice in the little bowl of sauce that they bring you and it spices everything up beautifully.

Add to that the best Moo Daeng I have ever had in Thailand and a pile of spinach cooked to my taste (just blanched for 30 seconds) rather being overcooked by a chef.

One of Thailand's great things :-)

It fills the Applebee's space for middlebrow, middle class Thai people. They think it's special. It isn't.

I have to concur 100%.

My extended fam, especially one sister-in-law, seem to think it is a treat... I ate a few times with them. The suki I found quite boring, so I opted for their faux "dim sum".

Had to ask for the "extra-hot" dipping sauce just to make the factory-made frozen processed (possibly microwaved) "dim sum" palatable.

All was way overpriced.

Been around for 25 years, have 300+ restaurants, employs ~ 12,000 people, serve millions each year, revenue growing at ~ 8% (not sure I did the math but maybe 8 billion baht in revenue in 2010). They must be doing something right?

I eat at MK at least once a month, I like it and find the food quite good, certainly a healthy alternative to standard Thai fare which typically has too much oil, salt, sugar and Ajinomoto.

I hear the comment that MK is bland over and over again. Here is a hint...try the sauce!

It is bland. When the GF used to drag me there, I'd put loads of garlic in the broth, trying to give it at least a hint of flavour and add a hefty quantity of chilies to the drab suki sauce, but it didn't help much because all those over-priced little plates of food don't have much flavour. I finally convinced her to call one of her Thai friends when she gets the MK urge, thank gawd.

I like most don't really care for it,while MK may seem slightly more upmarket the majority of Thai locals where I live prefer the local alternative all you can eat for 129 baht BBQ which I have partook on numerous occasions.

While I prefer them over MK due to the fact that they are open air,usually have a large TV screen and you get genuine coal fired BBQs,I still struggle to enjoy them like the locals,the choice of food is larger but the quality of the meats is not great IMO,but they normally have a selection of salads and french fries as well as a great selection of ice creams and the like which helps as well as live entertainment.

Edited by stoneyboy

The prices are not low

The seats are uncomfortable

The decor is drab

The customer has to cook the food

The food is soaking wet

In a cruel twist of fate, the wife (and her family) forced me to go to MK last night. I can now add:

The table layout is unsuitable for groups of more than 4 people

The pork tastes like rubber

The duck is mostly skin

The place mats are made of paper

The soft drinks are mostly ice

• Like 2

I first went there about 4 years ago with then wife and her younger sister. It was a real treat for the sister (think child in candy shop). I didn't have a clue what was going on and had low expectations which were fully achieved by the place. The sister even stirred a raw egg into the soup meaning everything had little bits of over cooked egg attached to it. Only bit i liked was the dancing which reminded me of fully clothed gogo dancing (awkward, half hearted, embarrassed, not arousing at all for those with an IQ greater than their waste size in inches)

Second time a few years later - Had a plan. Order the duck and pork and ignore the bowl of klong water bubbling away. Then wife and family promptly ate all the pork and duck whilst I was in the toilet meaning I have a choice; go hungry or suffer the gastronomic aberration that is the soup. I had something on the way home basically. No dancing.

Third time mothers day last year, after stumping up for the family of new GF to go on a beach jolly to Pattaya and then a night in the night club for the siblings, was cordially invited to MK by them so pretty much had to go (hangover was not a valid excuse apparently). Ate heartily before arriving, did lots of cooking for people and passing around and the very occasional mouth fill of rice and got away with it.

In simple terms - never again. I just don't understand that in a country where the food has so much flavour, that these MK joints are often full? I've eaten tastier things after doing the washing up and spotted a rogue green been in the plug and thought waste not want not.

• Like 2

My wife and I like the food it is good and always fresh. To me the attraction is that it is a well run franchise. The food and service is consistent same as Mcdonalds.You always know what you get. Something rarely seen in Thai restaurants.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

My dogs bowel movements are consistent - 3 times a day from 3 dogs I know exactly what I am going to get. No reason to want to eat it though.

• Like 2

i am not a fan of the franchise, but my sister in law and hubby (aspiring middle class) are, special occaisions bloody MK is resturant of choice, father in law doesnt go, he gets away with mai aroi comment, i cant, for me a prawn resturant with a fan nearby and some leo beats it hands down.

i am not a fan of the franchise, but my sister in law and hubby (aspiring middle class)

That's exactly the thing. Just expensive enough and more importantly for this crowd visible enough to be ever so slightly elitist hence why it is popular. I reckon everyone hates it but think they have to be seen to go there. Anyway, I am hands down opposed to paying to sit in a restaurant and having to cook myself. I could easily recreate Mk at home - put the stove on, chuck in some veg and small amounts of meat and top the pot up from a puddle of stagnant flood water. Job done.

got to go with you Pseudolus, can do the same at the house, no need to get dressed up, annoyed with traffic driving there, can sit at the table watching the ubc, a few beers from the local shop and if i want a bacon sandwich instead the wifey can fix that up.

• Like 1