Thai Companion On Border Run

sysardman

(S)he just needs to pass by immigration and get a pass for the border. Only needs ID card and (I think) 20 baht, no hassle. Note that the immigration office is a kilometer or two before the border, so keep your eyes peeled and stop there on the way (assuming you're talking about Mae Sai).

In my experience, for you they will usually insist on 500 baht on the Myanmar side, although several posters have said they used a $10 no problem. Luck of the draw, no harm in trying. Make sure it's 100% clean and crisp.

(S)he just needs to pass by immigration and get a pass for the border. Only needs ID card and (I think) 20 baht, no hassle. Note that the immigration office is a kilometer or two before the border, so keep your eyes peeled and stop there on the way (assuming you're talking about Mae Sai).

In my experience, for you they will usually insist on 500 baht on the Myanmar side, although several posters have said they used a $10 no problem. Luck of the draw, no harm in trying. Make sure it's 100% clean and crisp.

OK thanks for that, I asked my lady if she had a passport and of course she said yes, my mistake, I should have said 'do you have a current and valid passport?' - no time to renew so I was hoping the ID card was sufficient.

As for the $10, for several years I've had no problem giving them the $10 but I did notice a short time ago a few people complaining that they were not accepting them anymore. Will give it a try as I still have a few pristine $10 bills saved for that purpose.

OK thanks for that, I asked my lady if she had a passport and of course she said yes, my mistake, I should have said 'do you have a current and valid passport?' - no time to renew so I was hoping the ID card was sufficient.

As for the $10, for several years I've had no problem giving them the $10 but I did notice a short time ago a few people complaining that they were not accepting them anymore. Will give it a try as I still have a few pristine $10 bills saved for that purpose.

Slight update....Last week Wifey went to the main Immigration office at Maesai and they charged her 50 Baht which is now the going rate. Don't forget this has to be done at the main office and not at the border. They also stop them as they go through the border and want 20Baht Tea Money as well these days, right at the end on the left just as they think they have got away with it ! As for me; they would only take Baht last Thursday and got quite heavy with the guy behind me who tried to 'impose' his 10 buck bill on them. Seems to be a daily lottery on 'will they or won't they? '.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Sysardmin,

Last time I did the Mae Sai >=< Tachilek dance, January, 2012, for the first time, the Myanmar immigratioin officer (in a different color uniform than I had seen there, before: blue) became enraged when I kept offering him a ten-dollar US $ bill, and said I didn't have 500 baht (all very politely and calmy, of course). He told me to go back to Thailand, at which point, amazingly, I discovered I had "forgotten" that I had 500 baht smile.png

Hope you have better luck.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

yes they have finaly sussed out that 10 bucks is only worth about 300 baht. as opposed to 500 baht... I dont know if it is an official change or not, but they wont back down, just give em a dirty grin and crack on.

yes they have finaly sussed out that 10 bucks is only worth about 300 baht. as opposed to 500 baht... I dont know if it is an official change or not, but they wont back down, just give em a dirty grin and crack on.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun MCP, Exactly what do you mean when you say "crack on:" you are on foreign soil, your passport is in the hands of someone else who, if provoked, could do damage (like making a false allegation taht sends you to a Burmese jail) or to your passport, and/or your physical person.. You have, "technically" exited Thailand,and if you return with no Burmese entry and exit stamp in your passport, what do you think is going to happen when you reach Thai immigration ?

best, ~o:37;

i went last month on a vip pass,cost me 100bht,at thai imm,and wife paid 50 bht to same officer,paid 10 dollars burma imm,wife just walked through with me,and i picked up my passport at same thai window i went in, on the way back.had quite a nice day.can never understand how its always so hot at that burmese market though.

Was there Friday 23 March

I needed 90 days more on my M Visa and had to step out. Was charged the 500 Baht. nothing else

My wife with her new passport wanted the stamp and was told it also would be 500 baht so she went without and only paid 30 baht for a peice of paper that said VIP

Nothing else was paid by either

Very crowded and air just not good

$US10 yesterday. Seems like it is a bit of a lottery. I was asked for 500 baht and just handed over the $10 and it was accepted.

The subject's been done to death...

General concensus is that there's at least one officer there who insists on Baht (and gets decidedly agitated when offered dollars) and there's at least one, who asks for Baht but accepts dollars.

So it seems to depend mostly, on who is on duty at the time so yes - very much the luck of the draw.