Billboard Hell

grumpyoldman

I was recently coming back from the airport, and stopped at the light at Central Festival. Across from Central on the corner are now multiple billboards and when they ran out of room, they now have erected another above the ones that now occupy the entire corner.

I get to Sai Yuan, and where the little cut through road goes back over to Wiset there is a ginormous billboard for Rossovino, yet Rossovino is back on Wiset a couple kilometers behind where the obnoxious sign is!

I understand it's some easy money for the landlords but jeez, when will enough be enough?

There was a campaign by the Phuket powers that be to stop using public land beside the roads to put up billboards.

Just the usual hot air as during this week's local election there are billboards of the candidates on public land.

As for the giant bill-boards that visually pollute this place, they're all on private land, so, nothing will happen.

Let's face it. If Thai's are not offended by litter and fly-tipping, what chance that they'll ever complain about bill-boards?

You would think with the loss of face thing being a big issue here that when they start spouting all this rubbish that they are going to do this and going to do that.

Like rid the Island of billboards.

That when they do absolutely nothing that this must be a big loss of face to them.

But no worry they always got their second face.

Nearly 2 weeks ago now the illegal taxi's were told get legal.

What a joke they are still setting up taxi stands down here using knackered old wrecks I would not even think about traveling in

Edited by lavender19

You would think with the loss of face thing being a big issue here that when they start spouting all this rubbish that they are going to do this and going to do that.

Like rid the Island of billboards.

That when they do absolutely nothing that this must be a big loss of face to them.

But no worry they always got their second face.

Nearly 2 weeks ago now the illegal taxi's were told get legal.

What a joke they are still setting up taxi stands down here using knackered old wrecks I would not even think about traveling in

No......it's only a loss of face if someone holds them to what they say. As nobody does, no face is lost. Foreigners don't count.

This is why nothing is ever achieved. To say something is almost equated to doing something.

There was a campaign by the Phuket powers that be to stop using public land beside the roads to put up billboards.

Just the usual hot air as during this week's local election there are billboards of the candidates on public land.

As for the giant bill-boards that visually pollute this place, they're all on private land, so, nothing will happen.

Let's face it. If Thai's are not offended by litter and fly-tipping, what chance that they'll ever complain about bill-boards?

"Fly-tipping"? Aren't you a Yank KB?

I think that campaign was against the unauthorised direction signs popping up everywhere, not against the billboards. There were signs popping up to virtually every hotel on the island, and that has changed, many of them have disappeared.

I understand the official looking signs like Daeng's Fishballs, those pointing to resorts or property developments, have to pay a fee to the local authorities.

A few weeks ago they took down all the signs promoting the plastic bag campaign & I did notice the police taking some signs down on Chao Fa West. These are only a drop in the bucket compared to the visual pollution seen all over the island. Reminds me of Brisbane many years ago, with billboards on as far as the eye could see, when one could donate $50,000 to the Bjielke Petersen Foundation Fund & then be granted all sorts of business opportunities by the state government of which Bjielke was the head. Noise pollution at every market, shopping mall & the proliferation of sound trucks is also obnoxious but as KB said the Thais do not seem to have a problem with it.

Edited by Valentine

I think that campaign was against the unauthorised direction signs popping up everywhere, not against the billboards. There were signs popping up to virtually every hotel on the island, and that has changed, many of them have disappeared.

Yes but this is a common case of Farangs not understanding what has been said and then blaming it on the Thais for not doing what they thought they said they were going to do.