30% Import Duty

monty1412

Bought a carry bag for the bike from twisted throttle for USD139 and they freighted to bangkok via USPS. Just got a note that it is Phra Kanong post office and it has a nice customs slip attached show its classified as Moto Parts with assessed value of 5000 baht and duty to be paid of 1500 Baht with VAt on that of 455 Baht.

Its not the money so much but just seems a bit rich.. thoughts / advice

print off the page from the website showing value (don't forget you get taxed on the shipping as well)

then if it is wrong contest it. they may reduce the money owed.

also maybe check if non motor parts attract less tax. its a bag not motor parts.

Edited by thaicbr

i got a a customs bill reduced from 12300 to 4410 thb recently ,with a bit of wrangling

they just make these values up regardless of what it says on the box

the gu in the post office just shrugged his shoulders and said :"thats thailand " when i asked

him how they had triple valued my stuff when the price was stamped on the box :)

Probably about right as they charge 30% on the item PLUS the shipping cost as import duty and another 7%VAT, doubt you'll get it reduced as the items sent with USPS are usually charged the correct/lowest amount. If it was sent using UPS or DHL you would have something to moan about!

Probably about right as they charge 30% on the item PLUS the shipping cost as import duty and another 7%VAT, doubt you'll get it reduced as the items sent with USPS are usually charged the correct/lowest amount. If it was sent using UPS or DHL you would have something to moan about!

From what I have seen, anything through TNT or Fedex is examined and hit hard.

Have got parcels through from China and Aus in the last week by normal post, not courier. Both items were declared way undervalue.

OP was ripped off, but then again this is Bkk.

From what I have seen, anything through TNT or Fedex is examined and hit hard.

Have got parcels through from China and Aus in the last week by normal post, not courier. Both items were declared way undervalue.

Anything delivered using one of the big courier companies gets hit hard, they have a cushy relationship with Thai customs! If items are sent using USPS, Royal Mail etc then they are usually handled by Thai Post over here and then only the correct amount or less is charged. The OP wasn't ripped off, the assessed value was 5000baht (around $170) which was probably correct ($139 + shipping costs) and he was charged 30% of this (1500baht) and another 7% in VAT. I've been charged too little more often than I've been charged too much and on a few ocassions I've had things delivered with no charge at all.

The ideal situation is to bring something in yourself or have a friend do it, if not possible then find a company willing to declare a lower amount and tick the gift box.

Edited by skybluestu

$139 is about 4275 Baht. As has been said allow $25 for shipping so the total comes to say 5000 Baht then that is the taxable value. 5000 x 30% is 1500 so the total for VAT is 6500. 6500 x 7% is 455.

No rip off just simple math. The only recourse could be is or isn't the bag a motorcycle accessory. That would depend on what code the shipper used or if it says Twisted Throttle on the package or if physically the bag is obviously for a motorcycle.

Why do people think that items bought on-line should be duty free when the a legitimate importer has to pay the duty?

Agreed sometime small, light items slip through; But one should always factor in the duty and VAT when making an on-line purchasing decision.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

$139 is about 4275 Baht. As has been said allow $25 for shipping so the total comes to say 5000 Baht then that is the taxable value. 5000 x 30% is 1500 so the total for VAT is 6500. 6500 x 7% is 455.

No rip off just simple math. The only recourse could be is or isn't the bag a motorcycle accessory. That would depend on what code the shipper used or if it says Twisted Throttle on the package or if physically the bag is obviously for a motorcycle.

Why do people think that items bought on-line should be duty free when the a legitimate importer has to pay the duty?

Agreed sometime small, light items slip through; But one should always factor in the duty and VAT when making an on-line purchasing decision.

Its been bought in under 4202.92 HS code which is "bags made of textile or leather"and should have zero dutiable value especially as i see the origin of the bag was originally Malaysia.

I argued with the post office folks and the lass nice, as she was ,agreed there had been a mistake but alas nothing could be done and that I should submit all the forms and my letter in thai to customs and wait 90 days for them to rule on it... paid the B2000 and walked out... no intention to try and get monies back from customs however next time depending on part/ item I will send it to Singapore and pick it up there while on business trip and just bring back.

Even though the HS code was clearly on the USPS document that Thai Post office looked at twisted throttle and determined it was auto parts and made the determination from there.. to be fair to them back home the post office doesn't attract many mensa grade folks and probably would have had the same thing although recourse such as suggested may well be swifter and more fruitful.

Useful lesson I guess.

As an aside the Thai HS code system prescribes less duty for parts for nuclear reactors than it does for motor parts so next time I bring in a part maybe I will get it labelled as nuclear reactor parts.. sure to go through and funny thing it probably would.

• 7 months later...

Just had an Item delivered (electronics) that I bought 2 times in The USA first had problems so got a refund from eBay and on the 137 US$ I had to pay 512 import tax which was OK for me but I bought a replacement which is 100% the same again in the USA and to day the good working item was delivered for 1546 Baht where this time the value was 112.50 US$ ....................... In both cases the shipping was 50 US$ was I the first time lucky or was I screwed the second time ?

Curious to know and does anybody know the phone number of the Customs office who are calculating the payment ?

Thanks for any information !

Edited by Scorpio1949

Last week i recieved power commander v, two 128gb ssd drives, two sets oneal mx pants and shirts. declared value $38 usps priority tax 0

Today recieved joe rocket textile jacket and oneal mx boots. declared value $44 revised value 8000 baht tax 3300 baht. this was the first one taxed out of my last 4 shippments.