Australian Rules Football For The Aussies In Thai

Sydney has made a bid to steal Lance Franklin at the last minute

News Limited can reveal that the move, which will stun the AFL world and enrage Melbourne clubs, involves a five-year, $1.4m per season to lure Franklin to the 2012 premiers.

Franklin won his second premiership with the Hawks on Saturday but the superstar’s transfer to the AFL’s newest franchise, GWS, has been widely reported as a certainty all season.

The Hawks have cobbled together $1.1m a year to entice the goalkicking sensation to stay. and while the Swans’ 11th hour offer is left in the shade by the Giants’ $2m a season deal, there are a host of reasons that could win over Franklin.

Read Full Article Here

Ok so...

Mumford to Hawks in exchange for Franklin... Heath Shaw to Sydney in exchange for White... GWS left holding the baby? Sounds about right...

To be honest, I think having Franklin up here would be a bigger coup than getting Tippett... It would give the boys two very big targets up front giving the likes of Sam Reid the opportunity to go unchecked, I find (a fit) Sam Reid very similar to Buddy and from a football point of view, he could learn a lot from him...

It's all very confusing though, I mean, should I be excited about this prospect? or should I be concerned? I need another coffee to make up my mind... Hahah

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

News Limited can reveal that the move, which will stun the AFL world and enrage Melbourne clubs, involves a five-year, $1.4m per season to lure Franklin to the 2012 premiers.

Franklin won his second premiership with the Hawks on Saturday but the superstar’s transfer to the AFL’s newest franchise, GWS, has been widely reported as a certainty all season.

The Hawks have cobbled together $1.1m a year to entice the goalkicking sensation to stay. and while the Swans’ 11th hour offer is left in the shade by the Giants’ $2m a season deal, there are a host of reasons that could win over Franklin.

Read Full Article Here

Ok so...

Mumford to Hawks in exchange for Franklin... Heath Shaw to Sydney in exchange for White... GWS left holding the baby? Sounds about right...

To be honest, I think having Franklin up here would be a bigger coup than getting Tippett... It would give the boys two very big targets up front giving the likes of Sam Reid the opportunity to go unchecked, I find (a fit) Sam Reid very similar to Buddy and from a football point of view, he could learn a lot from him...

It's all very confusing though, I mean, should I be excited about this prospect? or should I be concerned? I need another coffee to make up my mind... Hahah

Mate , you'll have to catch up, news places reporting GWS has withdrawn their offer under advice he will sign with Sydney!

That is awesome for Sydney. They can play Tippett and Buddy inside the 50 metre arc all game long. I'd be tipping a 100 goal season for Buddy on the SCG.

Swans membership to go up 10,000 I reckon

Edited by BookMan

Read Full Article Here

Ok so...

Mate , you'll have to catch up, news places reporting GWS has withdrawn their offer under advice he will sign with Sydney!

That is awesome for Sydney. They can play Tippett and Buddy inside the 50 metre arc all game long. I'd be tipping a 100 goal season for Buddy on the SCG.

Swans membership to go up 10,000 I reckon

Hahaha I know I just saw your post after I posted... Christ... You go in for an ad-hoc meeting about some BS and THIS happens...

HOLY S***

I'm also led to believe that given the number 23 was vacant at the Swans, it was a no brainer tongue.png

EDIT - Further research shows that the number 23 is not vacant at the Swans, but could be if said owner of the number is de-listed...

Edited by GrantSmith
  • Like 1

Hahaha I know I just saw your post after I posted... Christ... You go in for an ad-hoc meeting about some BS and THIS happens...

HOLY S***

A real surprise that one.

We will have to break the no d*#khead rule but we can make an exception.

Sydney has gone down from $6 to $5 to win next year already. biggrin.png

Lance Franklin to the Swans: GWS

Posted by: Ned Franklin | 1 October, 2013 - 12:46 PM

AFL superstar Lance 'Buddy' Franklin is set to join the Sydney Swans, according to the Greater Western Sydney Giants.

Just past midday, the official GWS twitter account posted a tweet saying they have withdrawn their offer to Franklin on advice that he will sign with the Swans.

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-football-blog/lance-franklin-to-the-swans-gws/20131001-2upvh.html

YOU LITTLE F*#$ING BEAUTY !!!

That is unbelievable news..

Swannies once again sneak a big full forward

Lockett

Hall

Tippett

Franklin

Do they really need him and who are they going to trim to fit him into the salary cap? Will Goodes play on next year?

Lance Franklin to the Swans: GWS

Posted by: Ned Franklin | 1 October, 2013 - 12:46 PM

AFL superstar Lance 'Buddy' Franklin is set to join the Sydney Swans, according to the Greater Western Sydney Giants.

Just past midday, the official GWS twitter account posted a tweet saying they have withdrawn their offer to Franklin on advice that he will sign with the Swans.

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-football-blog/lance-franklin-to-the-swans-gws/20131001-2upvh.html

YOU LITTLE F*#$ING BEAUTY !!!

That is unbelievable news..

Swannies once again sneak a big full forward

Lockett

Hall

Tippett

Franklin

Do they really need him and who are they going to trim to fit him into the salary cap? Will Goodes play on next year?

Good point. Yeah, we could use him. Our forward line has been a weakness for a while. The SCG would suit Buddy and if Sydney plays him permanently up front with Tippett he could kick 100 in a year

I suspect Sam Reid might be moved to centre half back or thereabouts.

Mumford will go I am sure... maybe to Hawthorn. Bolton, Mattner, Morton retired and Jesse white is going...also freeing up $$

I'm also wondering if Goodes might retire. He is 34 next year

chooka - with 3 retirements and White's almost certain move to the Pies, the fat is already trimmed....

Add further that Mumford is likely to move as well, will further free room up. I know there's A LOT of talk about the COL allowance paid to NSW and QLD clubs but I don't think that's even in the equation, given the above.. It could be, I'm not privy to the true figures...

Goodesy will almost certainly go around again...

Superstar Franklin set to join Sydney
WWOS staff & AAP
13:00 AEST Tue Oct 1 2013

Earlier today, former high-ranking AFL official Adrian Anderson said the league could be accused of helping Sydney to land Hawthorn superstar Lance Franklin if he takes up the Swans' surprise offer.

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire and former Western Bulldogs great Luke Darcy have suggested there will be outrage from other clubs if Franklin joins the Swans.

Both the Swans and Greater Western Sydney are given a 9.8 per cent cost-of-living allowance above the league-wide salary cap.

• Like 1

Eddie McEverywhere and Luke Darcy can suck a bag a d****.... Just going after soundbytes the pair of them... Luke Darcy? <deleted> is he? Hack...

WWOS staff & AAP

Earlier today, former high-ranking AFL official Adrian Anderson said the league could be accused of helping Sydney to land Hawthorn superstar Lance Franklin if he takes up the Swans' surprise offer.

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire and former Western Bulldogs great Luke Darcy have suggested there will be outrage from other clubs if Franklin joins the Swans.

Both the Swans and Greater Western Sydney are given a 9.8 per cent cost-of-living allowance above the league-wide salary cap.

There is going to be some major vitriol to this move...

One thing often overlooked is Sydney has developed discards from other clubs and fringe players, bringing the players to new skill levels. These 'discards' then become highly valued players. A lot of thee players come cheaper

Look at the current Sydney team. All discards or fringe players at one stage:

Josh Kennedy

Teddy Richards

Mike Pyke

Dane Rampe

Jesse White

Rhyce Shaw

Ben Mcglynn

Andrejs Everitt (jury still out there...)

Check out this article, Major carry on:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/extra-salary-cap-cash-set-to-come-under-fire-after-sydney-to-grab-lance-franklin/story-fni5f8ge-1226730809879

But even with the loss of those five players, how can Sydney afford an extra $1.4 million in the cap for Buddy?

Especially when they have to replace those players.

And when they have signed up stars like Sam Reid (last year), Dan Hannebery and Kieren Jack (this year) on big money deals.

They can do it because they have a dispensation from the AFL which will hit $1 million in coming years.

It is outrageous. It is farcical. It is ridiculous.

It is not what the salary cap dispensation was handed to Sydney for.

It was for retaining players who were desperate to return to the states they were drafted from.

Actually the CoL dispensation was not designed to retain currently listed players from returning home, it was originally designed (way back when Sydney was sitting where Melbourne roughly is) to attract high profile players to Sydney.

Now players will leave if they want to leave, Sydney can't do sweet fanny adams about it. That's human nature. So they use the CoL dispensation for its original purpose. Attract high profile targets.

Eddie McEverywhere and Luke Darcy can suck a bag a d****.... Just going after soundbytes the pair of them... Luke Darcy? <deleted> is he? Hack...

WWOS staff & AAP

There is going to be some major vitriol to this move...

One thing often overlooked is Sydney has developed discards from other clubs and fringe players, bringing the players to new skill levels. These 'discards' then become highly valued players. A lot of thee players come cheaper

Look at the current Sydney team. All discards or fringe players at one stage:

Josh Kennedy

Teddy Richards

Mike Pyke

Dane Rampe

Jesse White

Rhyce Shaw

Ben Mcglynn

Andrejs Everitt (jury still out there...)

Check out this article, Major carry on:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/extra-salary-cap-cash-set-to-come-under-fire-after-sydney-to-grab-lance-franklin/story-fni5f8ge-1226730809879

But even with the loss of those five players, how can Sydney afford an extra $1.4 million in the cap for Buddy?

Especially when they have to replace those players.

And when they have signed up stars like Sam Reid (last year), Dan Hannebery and Kieren Jack (this year) on big money deals.

They can do it because they have a dispensation from the AFL which will hit $1 million in coming years.

It is outrageous. It is farcical. It is ridiculous.

It is not what the salary cap dispensation was handed to Sydney for.

It was for retaining players who were desperate to return to the states they were drafted from.

"It was for retaining players who were desperate to return to the states they were drafted from".

What about all the W.A, S.A, N.T and QLD players drafted by clubs outside their states, shouldn't they also have the same entitlements as those at Sydney and GWS? Victorian clubs don't have this COL allowance for them.

Now that GWS have missed out on Buddy I don't think they will be offering up there number 1 pick anymore and face missing out on Boyd.

WHAT WOULD MELBOURNE CLUBS GIVE UP FOR TOM BOYD

CARLTON

The Blue must get aggressive given their lack of a key talls. Bryce Gibbs is "untouchable" but he would almost get the deal done. Or Matty Kreuzer given the Giants need a ruckman.

COLLINGWOOD

Have Travis Cloke and will get Sydney’s Jesse White, but would need to hand up a player like Steele Sidebottom or Dayne Beams. Unlikely.

ESSENDON

Don’t need Boyd given they have Joe Daniher, but GWS would do the deal for Jake Carlisle in a heartbeat. The problem is Carlisle is their full back for the next decade.

GEELONG

Has Tom Hawkins and Nathan Vardy. Don’t tend to give up stars. Would need to hand over a gun like Steven Motlop, and that sure won’t be happening.

HAWTHORN

Already about to lose Lance Franklin to GWS, and have Gunston and Roughead. Would need to give up a player like Cyril Rioli, Jordan Lewis or Grant Birchall just to start discussions.

MELBOURNE

Don’t need Boyd given they already have a mini-draft kid in Jesse Hogan about to explode. But similarly would give up pick two for a star midfielder who was under 25.

NORTH MELBOURNE

Have their key forward stocks covered with Drew Petrie, Aaron Black, Robbie Tarrant and Majak Daw. Would need to hand over Jack Ziebell, who is the kind of player GWS would love. Won’t happen.

RICHMOND

Has Jack Riewoldt and Ty Vickery, but Boyd will be a megastar. Reece Conca wouldn’t get the deal done, and the Giants already sniffed around Trent Cotchin last year.

ST KILDA

Get aggressive, St Kilda. Get it done to ensure the next Nick Riewoldt is in place when he retires. What about Ben McEvoy with a Sam Fisher thrown in?

It’s brutal, but fans would give up Jack Steven if it got them Boyd.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Another club that needs to get inventive. They say they won’t give up Ryan Griffen. He wouldn’t go. But it would get the deal done, and solve their key position issues.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/gws-put-no1-draft-pick-on-the-trade-table-and-want-rivals-to-come-to-the-party/story-fnfll94y-1226730194867

Those in the GWS sights include Essendon's Jake Carlisle, West Coast’s Nic Naitanui and Fremantle's Nathan Fyfe.

"It was for retaining players who were desperate to return to the states they were drafted from".

What about all the W.A, S.A, N.T and QLD players drafted by clubs outside their states, shouldn't they also have the same entitlements as those at Sydney and GWS? Victorian clubs don't have this COL allowance for them.

Yeah, I'm not sure that is correct from the journalist. My understanding is that it is a cost of living allowance. 9.8% on top of all players contracts. It is not to stop players going back home. (i'd have to research it myself)

Sydney's big problem is attracting players. NSW is not an AFL state and it is only the last few years that they are getting AFL seriously into schools, but, you cannot compare it to Victoria, SA and WA in terms of popularity amongst youngsters.

My point in mentioning (a few posts back) how well Sydney recruits discards and fringe players, and brings out peak performance in these players, often turning them into elite players, was to illustrate just how difficult Sydney has found it difficult to recruit established players. They often make their own luck.

Some of the marque players Sydney have attracted is certainly because of the money. But it also has been because the players want greater anonymity in some cases.

The cost of living allowance was done because Sydney is far more expensive than other cities. There has been some closing of property prices in recent times between the cities.

If the AFL feels the allowance is no longer justified I can understand that. Still, it doesn't make Sydney a cheaper place to be.

The CoLA was given to both NSW and QLD clubs, I believe QLD clubs have a lower CoLA as QLD is not as expensive (in the eyes of the AFL) to live - which to be frank, is BS, lived there (Brisneyland/Brisvegas/Brisbane) for 18 months and it's just as expensive for what it is when compared to Sydney.

WA has the WAFL, SA has the SANFL to prop them up and as such are "traditional" AFL states- not sure why you mentioned NT as there's not an AFL team in the NT - Victorian clubs have never received it, as.. well.. if you can't figure that out, go back and study what the AFL used to be known as prior to becomming the AFL.

It wasn't designed to retain, it was designed to help in attracting talent as it was (successfully) argued (at the time) the CoLA in Sydney was about 15% higher than the other states and as such Sydney couldn't attract the talent because it was too expensive to live there.

Here's an article from earlier in the year from Swans CEO Andrew Ireland - http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2013-03-18/the-case-for-cost-of-living-allowance - on the Swans stance of the CoLA.

If the AFL believes the Swans and GWS are misusing their CoLA, the Swans have told the AFL that they can take control of it.

• Like 1

Trade week and mind you it hasn't started yet is more exciting than the regular seasonthumbsup.gif

Franklin a swan...don't think anyone saw that coming.....

It was fairly good news when I heard about Tippet (6.5/10 excitment factor), but the news about Buddy, now that was a 9.5/10 excitement factor laugh.png .

• Like 1

Trade week and mind you it hasn't started yet is more exciting than the regular seasonthumbsup.gif

It was fairly good news when I heard about Tippet (6.5/10 excitment factor), but the news about Buddy, now that was a 9.5/10 excitement factor laugh.png .

Hahah what would have given you the extra 0.5?

Hahah what would have given you the extra 0.5?

The 2005 Grand Final win was a 10/10 (maybe 11/10.)

I'm sure that day weakened my heart laugh.png (i kid you not)

• Like 1

Those in the GWS sights include Essendon's Jake Carlisle, West Coast’s Nic Naitanui and Fremantle's Nathan Fyfe.

I had a feeling SYdney was interested in Nic also..

Unlikely now if they get Buddy

Now that is just getting greedythumbsup.gif

• Like 1

whats 900,000$ extra? really? just look around half the trades being done are by guys wanting to go home to there home states, well that's the excuse there using, I recon Sydney and Brisbane should be getting an extra 2 million, hard work trying to keep guys up there.

I keep saying it time the AFL looked at ways of making more winners, soccer and American sports have good systems, 18 clubs and ONLY one winnerblink.png

DO you mean like having two conferences and/or several competitions?

The American NFL system has 2 conferences and 4 divisions of 5 teams each, divisional champions automatically get a play off spot followed by 2 wild card spots (best performing teams in your conference).

One team will win through a knock out series to be conference champions that will meet winner of second conference in the Super bowel, excuse me American friends if there are some mistakes but its essence is how I described.

Take English premier league, 20 teams play for the championship, only 1 team can take the crown, every team in the FA (every football team pro and amateur ) plays off for the FA Cup, think the 5 divisions of pro football clubs play off for the League Cup. Top finishing 3 or 4 clubs automatically play off on the Champions League, next 2 clubs earn a Europa Cup spot etc etc, if you won a league or FA cup in your country you qualify for something else etc etc...

Yes ive heard and read all the arguments regarding a conference style for AFL but I like to remind you were not 12 teams anymore, were 18 and it will end up 20 within 10 ys, the fact of the matter is its a business and to stay viable we need to create many winners as the Americans do with not just NFL but with baseball and basketball.

Its a big deal to win a playoff spot and even a bigger deal to win your division in the NFL, its a big deal to earn a place in Europe with the English clubs, im not advocating copying one of these sytems im just saying we need to create more winners because right now we only have one winner and that's the Hawks, Fro are forgotten and GWS, Dees, Saints and Bulldogs are just making up numbers.

The AFL needs to come up with a way to reward more than one club, the AFL meddled the preseason cup to death as there doing with the rules...hope they give it a rest next season, I cant understand some of the umps decisions these days.

And I agree we should scrap the draft entitlements and model them on the NFL, last do not get first pick, its more or less a raffle your position is pulled out of a barrel, this will definitely stop tanking and make the lower clubs more accountable, in other words there going to have to rise the bar to compete.

• Like 2

I had a feeling SYdney was interested in Nic also..

Unlikely now if they get Buddy

Now that is just getting greedythumbsup.gif

They couldn't afford him now laugh.png

Mumford will free up some big $$

There is a possibility, and GS, you might want to close your ears here..

but I believe Sydney could offload Sam Reid. He is on a high $$ contract but... I think he would be perfect down centre half back...but I guess it is just speculation

Edited by BookMan

but I believe Sydney could offload Sam Reid. He is on a high $$ contract but... I think he would be perfect down centre half back...but I guess it is just speculation

You might be right there, I'll revise my previous vision to add the following:

Reid and White (is he the steak knives again? :P) to Collingwood for Shaw and a first round pick.

Looking at it for next year; LRT will be a permanent fixture down the back. (Heath) Shaw replaces Bolton in the experimental forward half back flank position. Buddy moves to centre half foward and Tippett takes the dual full forward relief ruck position.

Midfield stays as is; Goodesy moves forward for longevity and is rotated every 15 minutes - he could, if he stays fit, take Harvey or Fletcher's (whoever holds it) record if he's played smartly.

The American NFL system has 2 conferences and 4 divisions of 5 teams each, divisional champions automatically get a play off spot followed by 2 wild card spots (best performing teams in your conference).

One team will win through a knock out series to be conference champions that will meet winner of second conference in the Super bowel, excuse me American friends if there are some mistakes but its essence is how I described.

Take English premier league, 20 teams play for the championship, only 1 team can take the crown, every team in the FA (every football team pro and amateur ) plays off for the FA Cup, think the 5 divisions of pro football clubs play off for the League Cup. Top finishing 3 or 4 clubs automatically play off on the Champions League, next 2 clubs earn a Europa Cup spot etc etc, if you won a league or FA cup in your country you qualify for something else etc etc...

Yes ive heard and read all the arguments regarding a conference style for AFL but I like to remind you were not 12 teams anymore, were 18 and it will end up 20 within 10 ys, the fact of the matter is its a business and to stay viable we need to create many winners as the Americans do with not just NFL but with baseball and basketball.

Its a big deal to win a playoff spot and even a bigger deal to win your division in the NFL, its a big deal to earn a place in Europe with the English clubs, im not advocating copying one of these sytems im just saying we need to create more winners because right now we only have one winner and that's the Hawks, Fro are forgotten and GWS, Dees, Saints and Bulldogs are just making up numbers.

The AFL needs to come up with a way to reward more than one club, the AFL meddled the preseason cup to death as there doing with the rules...hope they give it a rest next season, I cant understand some of the umps decisions these days.

And I agree we should scrap the draft entitlements and model them on the NFL, last do not get first pick, its more or less a raffle your position is pulled out of a barrel, this will definitely stop tanking and make the lower clubs more accountable, in other words there going to have to rise the bar to compete.

I don't mind the idea of two conferences. As you point out there is now 18 teams and there could easily be 22 supported within 10 years. One problem with conferences though is that each team may not play each other team at least once. I like that idea that you do get to see teams play each other at least once

The season could be extended, but there is many issues with that, one being the availability of grounds. Another is the wear on players. The game is played fast and hard now and a longer season would be fairly tough. There could be further limits on interchanges, or more super subs allowed (compulsory 3 subs per team per game)

Extra salary cap cash set to come under fire after Sydney to grab Lance Franklin
  • by: Jon Ralph
  • October 01, 2013 1:04PM

THIS is a bombshell that will rock the foundations of the AFL.

Lance Franklin is gone to Sydney, knocking back Greater Western Sydney for a $7 million, five-year contract from the Swans.

Yet all this decision does is throw up questions, many of which will cause fury across the AFL.

How does Sydney accept an extra $1 million from the AFL in cost-of-living allowance when all it does is allow it to poach rival stars?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/extra-salary-cap-cash-set-to-come-under-fire-after-sydney-to-grab-lance-franklin/story-fndv8os9-1226730809879

You might be right there, I'll revise my previous vision to add the following:

Reid and White (is he the steak knives again? tongue.png) to Collingwood for Shaw and a first round pick.

Looking at it for next year; LRT will be a permanent fixture down the back. (Heath) Shaw replaces Bolton in the experimental forward half back flank position. Buddy moves to centre half foward and Tippett takes the dual full forward relief ruck position.

Midfield stays as is; Goodesy moves forward for longevity and is rotated every 15 minutes - he could, if he stays fit, take Harvey or Fletcher's (whoever holds it) record if he's played smartly.

How about Buddy as Full forward and Tippet next to him in the forward pocket?

I would suspect, in his deal, Buddy has said he wants to be a genuine full forward again.