Australian Rules Football For The Aussies In Thai

Hey chooka,

Happy birthday, merry Xmas and happy Hanukkah!

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-01/watters-sacked-by-saints

Signed,

St Kilda

wink.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Great news isn't it. I was predicting it weeks ago and was it always on the cards. And bugger off Dermie.

Watters sacking: Dermott Brereton launches scathing attack on Saints and Chris Pelchen

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/watters-sacking-dermott-brereton-launches-scathing-attack-on-saints-and-chris-pelchen-20131101-2wrsg.html#ixzz2jNWfoxV4

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My money is the 2IC from Collingwood to take over as coach of St Kilda. The Messiah Sir Robert Harvey will return to the fold. Currently under contract at Collingwood but that can be broken given it is a job promotion.

My money is the 2IC from Collingwood to take over as coach of St Kilda. The Messiah Sir Robert Harvey will return to the fold. Currently under contract at Collingwood but that can be broken given it is a job promotion.

Harvey would be good for the role?

• Like 1

I hear Peter Sumich is getting the job.

Favourite son Robert Harvey could return to St Kilda to replace sacked coach Scott Watters

By Jay Clark

Herald Sun

ST KILDA legend Robert Harvey has firmed as an early favourite to win the vacant Saints coaching job after the stunning dismissal of coach Scott Watters today.

Harvey, the club’s games record-holder (383), could step into the job immediately after impressive coaching stints ...at Carlton, St Kilda and Collingwood.

At the end of last season Harvey was promoted to Collingwood's senior assistants role after taking charge of the club’s star-studded midfield.

His communication and tactical nous was highly regarded by leading Pies players and coaches.

Harvey worked under Ross Lyon at St Kilda in 2011 and is known to be a big fan of Lyon’s defensive-minded strategies.

When Lyon quit the Saints in 2011, Harvey was appointed the club’s interim senior coach.

The dual Brownlow medallist applied for the job permanently but along with Port Adelaide assistant Alan Richardson was unsuccessful as the Saints picked Watters.

While Leigh Tudor and Mark Williams would also be strongly considered, Harvey is seen as a figure who could re-unite the club after a messy year.

• Like 1

The regular season ended about 8 weeks ago, we're had the trade period and yesterday the Saints sacked the coach.

They didn't know how to keep Ross Lyon, they didn't know when to sack there coach, they are a joke, Brereton says there pathetic, Wilson in the Age says there in turmoil, I recon every team in the comp can pencil in a win against the Saints next season.

Doesn't matter what Watters is was etc nobody but nobody does this, shows amertuarish behaviour by a badly run club.

Of course the excuses are running hot now, 2pages in the paper today on the sacking, even the hapless Dees sacked there last 3 coaches before the end of the season.

And Harvey or anybody else will not make a scrap of difference, GWS will Finnish higher than that lot.

Watters was a <deleted> of a coach and he will never get another senior position. To be a good coach you need to be a good leader and that requires having respect from the troops. No one is going to follow him into battle and they would rather put a bullet into the back of his head. The playing group despised him with a passion and he almost had a strike on his hand at one stage. If the people you are suppose to be mentoring and leading think you are nothing more than a cheese dick then you haven't got a chance in hell of even trying to be a coach.

You are washed up and your coaching days are over Watters.

Could Harvey bring the group together and repair the damage caused by Watters? He most certainly could and he would have total respect from the playing group. Harvs is already greatly admired in coaching circles for his footy brain, leadership and coaching skills.

• Like 1

Rumour has it that Michael Voss has been offered the job at St Kilda................. I am vomiting and feel sick.

Absolutely no way after the <deleted> that has gone down at Brisbane should the Saints dump one cheese dick for another.

I will not renew my membership if Voss gets the job.

For crying out loud I would rather follow Melbourne, oh no wait that is extreme, no way I would commit suicide before following cheats and tanking team like Melbourne. Essendon yes but full on cheats like Melbourne never.

• Like 1

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy chooooooooooooooooooooka, we were never convicted of tanking thank you very much, don't ask me what the fine was for bit like the Essendon saga, no conviction yet penalized.

Mate its not about how good Watters was or wasn't, its about the dicks that run the Saints, how in hell did they let it get to this late stage, if you look around at other clubs and the Dees being one of them they do the chop well before end of season seems to me the directors and office staff don't involve them selves with coaches and playing staff.....don't know whats going on, one hand doesn't know what t he other is doing, who reports to who down there?

As with the Dees and any other club that is misfiring you start at the top to find the cancer then you cut it out, I think you need more than a new coach mate.

Voss...don't be so hard on him, he did take over when the Lions were going down, aging list etc, and sure was a dumb move to hire with no coaching experience, he has it now but why would you put yourself at a club like the Saints who wont be going anywhere for a few years.

And AND I don't see what the problem is with hiring an ex coach, did you know that Allen Jeans who took the Saints to there only flag was heavily critzied as having a fantastic team yet only managed one flag? Well what did he do at Hawthorn?

Malthouse was pretty good at the Dogs but didn't get a fag until he moved to the Eagles and later magpies, lots of stories like that, Norm smith was most unpopular at Fitzroy in the 40s when he left the Dees to take up the playing coach role there ( think it was playing coach) players didn't like him so he was ousted and guess what? back at the dees for 6 flags in 10 years....8 grand finals...

No no accept the dicks at the top have no idea, I was saying that the last 5 ys at Deeland eventually I was proven right.

Not sure that Michael Voss would be the worst thing that could happen.

Harvey would seem to be a better choice based on his link with the club and his experience from that recent article you posted

I agree. I also wouldn't rate or call Vossy a cheese dick. If there's one thing Vossy would have, it's

respect. As has been mentioned, he did his training when he was in the main job which wasn't

the smartest move. I guess we still don't know if he can coach, but I reckon he'd be mad to go

to the St's.

Appointing Harvey would at least buy him some time, being a legend of the club, he would be given

more time than an outsider. Especially an unproven one.

Also AlexRRR, just because Melbourne weren't convicted doesn't mean they didn't do it.

Blind Freddie could see they did and it was orchestrated by that tool Connolly which you guys

continued to employ.

Saints could find themselves relocated to NZ, warns Thomas

Matt Thompson November 2, 2013 10:00 AM

ST KILDA could be relocated to New Zealand if the club doesn't abandon its overseas experiment, according to former coach Grant Thomas.

The ex-St Kilda mentor aired his concerns in the wake of coach Scott Watters' sacking on Friday.

"Our next bastion to me seems as though it might be New Zealand and that to me means that St Kilda could potentially be lost to Melbourne and the AFL," Thomas told AFL.com.au.

"I think St Kilda should be competing as a top-four or five Melbourne-based AFL club rather than dithering around at the other end and having the same trials and tribulations (as others)," he said.

Thomas gave no indication he was against the AFL's New Zealand push, but doesn't want see the Saints form part of it.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-02/thomas-wary-of-nz-deal

"I'd like to see St Kilda back out of the New Zealand deal firstly, and secondly if the AFL's serious about its global expansion New Zealand is the obvious next port, and quite clearly the AFL is investing a lot of money to ensure that that happens," Thomas said.

Not sure that Michael Voss would be the worst thing that could happen.

Harvey would seem to be a better choice based on his link with the club and his experience from that recent article you posted

I agree. I also wouldn't rate or call Vossy a cheese dick. If there's one thing Vossy would have, it's

respect. As has been mentioned, he did his training when he was in the main job which wasn't

the smartest move. I guess we still don't know if he can coach, but I reckon he'd be mad to go

to the St's.

Appointing Harvey would at least buy him some time, being a legend of the club, he would be given

more time than an outsider. Especially an unproven one.

Also AlexRRR, just because Melbourne weren't convicted doesn't mean they didn't do it.

Blind Freddie could see they did and it was orchestrated by that tool Connolly which you guys

continued to employ.

ONLY THE AFL penalizes without conviction, Connolly was sacked long ago, just about every team that finishes around last has helped there position so lets get REAL, we might bag the NFL system of conferences free agency and drafting but mate it works well, this current AFL admin has changed the game so much its barely recognizable from 20 ys ago, the real defensive game has gone were almost a fully blown galic run at all costs game.

Voss wouldn't be a bad fit but to be honest anyone taking the job down there would be nuts its obvious from looking around at the recent goings on at Deeland and Brisbane that the board at Saintland is pretty much in disarray and unlikely to get there act together without a change starting from the top.

Oh and trying to turn our game international....nope, dreams, waste of time and money, NFL does pretty well its popular all over the world sure has second rate comp in Europe few players there actually make the grade to NFL, I don't see a need to export it, we should do what Premier league and American football do and that is package it as a TV spectacle in the end a TV audience is what will make the game.

• Like 1

Oh and trying to turn our game international....nope, dreams, waste of time and money, NFL does pretty well its popular all over the world sure has second rate comp in Europe few players there actually make the grade to NFL, I don't see a need to export it, we should do what Premier league  and American football do and that is package it as a TV spectacle in the end a TV audience is what will make the game. 

AFL is already fairly ensconced in many countries around the world:

http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/index.php?id=435

Oh and trying to turn our game international....nope, dreams, waste of time and money, NFL does pretty well its popular all over the world sure has second rate comp in Europe few players there actually make the grade to NFL, I don't see a need to export it, we should do what Premier league and American football do and that is package it as a TV spectacle in the end a TV audience is what will make the game.

oh yeah...when did the last recruit from Tonga make it in the big time? or NZ or China or USA a few Irish made it but more tried and went home....Aussies play American football here, soccer and baseball too, mate get real your clutching at straws, soccer and NFL play to TV so should we.

oh yeah...when did the last recruit from Tonga make it in the big time? or NZ or China or USA a few Irish made it but more tried and went home....Aussies play American football here, soccer and baseball too, mate get real your clutching at straws, soccer and NFL play to TV so should we.

How about Israel Folau ? And a fellow named Rodan came from Fiji and played AFL for a while. Nic Natanui's parents are Fijian.

I think you should get real, you seem to spend a bit to much time clutching something else.

EDIT- I also seem to recall a big, very dark, fellow from Sudan running around with North Melbourne recently

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

I see by your avatar that you are a soccer fan and not a true FOOTBALL fan. I respect that and that is your choice. Soccer and the NFL will never overtake football in Australia. Football however is growing as an international sport and I agree it will never overtake soccer on the international stage.

AFL already has players from such countries as Sth Africa, Canada, Ireland, Fiji, The U.S and New Zealand to name a few. There are a number of players from countries such as Indonesia, Burma and even Thailand who have been identified as gifted but their size is a problem. Soccer and Football are two totally different games. Soccer is for the faints hearted and generally puts people to sleep, seriously it is tip tap, tip, tap and once every 30 yrs a goal may be scored to signal a draw. Yawn, more excitement at the world knitting championships. ( No offence intended but soccer is so lame and the most boring tiddly events on the planet)

As for football to follow the soccer model are you really serious. Soccer is rife with violence and match fixing, that is not something we want introduced into football, Melbourne tried it and got caught out, the only reason they weren't thrown out of the competition was their name "MELBOURNE".

NFL and soccer don't even register on the sporting scale in Australia. Tap Pole breeding has a bigger following.

• Like 1

ASADA set to charge Bombers: Sly
Posted by: Matt Cram | 6 November, 2013 - 9:33 AM
"ASADA's getting ready to finally use its compulsory power with Dank and four to five others," John Silvester told Ross and John. "I believe they're ready to charge about six Essendon players
  • Like 1

"ASADA's getting ready to finally use its compulsory power with Dank and four to five others," John Silvester told Ross and John. "I believe they're ready to charge about six Essendon players

oho!

oho!

Might be interesting, especially as Jobe has already made full confessions. As they say it is the rumour file but many have come to light.

There's a couple of US players that have been drafted in the last few years (Roos and Swans)...

Also have the Lumberjack Mike Pyke from Canada-eh who is a premiership player...

https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/398648370283020290/photo/1

Another international player getting his start in AFL... Crazy world we live in... eh Alex....

In other news, Jude Bolton continues to punch above weight!

https://twitter.com/AFL_House/status/398670623527825408/photo/1

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

There's a couple of US players that have been drafted in the last few years (Roos and Swans)...

Also have the Lumberjack Mike Pyke from Canada-eh who is a premiership player...

https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/398648370283020290/photo/1

Another international player getting his start in AFL... Crazy world we live in... eh Alex....

In other news, Jude Bolton continues to punch above weight!

https://twitter.com/AFL_House/status/398670623527825408/photo/1

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

Pat Mitchell is 201 cm and still only 24. Happy days ahead

Oops double post... I'll blame Jude Bolton's missus for that one tongue.png

She looks a lot like an earlier Delta Goodrem in that photo!

Jude and Delta were v. good friends for a while, back some 10 years ago. They had a falling out, not sure if they made up