Road Rage

i HATE being sandwiched between vehicles doing 120+ and some idiot drives right up your ass so close hes nearly touching your back wheel

usually happens on the racetracks roads that lead to the airport and other places with high speed traffic

its as if theyre trying to encourage you to speed up but you cant anyway because of a blocking vehicle in front

You're going too slow.

If you're on a bike how can you be blocked by a vehicle in front? Twist your wrist and go around them.

By traveling faster than everyone else you no longer have to worry about getting run over by a speeding Benz of Fortuner smile.png

http://contour.com/s...-video-jan-2012

Its always difficult to rate actions like this just by looking a video. But do you really want to encourage others to ride like this? I guess you have high riding skills, a proper bike for it and are used to this kind of "riding style". But for some people riding isn't a never ending race. Some people also ride slower bikes, wider, heavier,...

And maybe this style of riding is one reason why car drivers often get agressive when they see a bike on the highway. Don't you think this can frighten car drivers? Some buisiness man on his way to work can spill hot coffee onto his trowsers. This can cause bad accidents wink.png

Why on earth would someone safely ensconced in a 2 ton car be frightened by a 400 pound motorcycle?

As I've said time and again, the road is no place to race. Filtering through traffic isn't racing, is it? Hell, look at my speedo- I'm not even speeding smile.png

I still say that if you're going to ride in the middle of the lane with a car "blocking" in front of you and another on your back wheel that sooner or later you are going to get splattered. Especially if you are "Driven by cheese"... ermm.gif

Good luck bro! Sounds like you need it!

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Tony, are you not able to give simple answers to simple questions? Do you really want to encourage others to ride like this? This is called "Filtering through traffic"? Can you provide links were something like this is suggested for a safer ride? Thanks.

Filtering, aka lane splitting- look it up coffee1.gif

Lane splitting

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

300px-Motorcyclists_lane_splitting_in_Bangkok%2C_Thailand.jpg

magnify-clip.pngLane splitting in Bangkok.

Lane splitting refers to a two-wheeled vehicle moving between lanes of vehicles that are proceeding in the same direction. More narrowly, it refers to passing stopped or slower moving traffic between lanes at a speed greater than surrounding traffic.[1][2] It is also sometimes called lane sharing, whitelining,[3] filtering, or stripe-riding.[4] Alternatively, lane splitting has been used to describe moving through traffic that is in motion while filtering is used to describe moving through traffic that is stopped.[5][6]

Lane splitting by motorcycles is generally legal in Europe, and in Japan and several other countries, and is illegal in many U.S. states, but is considered lawful in California (see list below).

Link:

Of course this has nothing much to do with road rage. Can you please try to say on topic? passifier.gif

Edited by BigBikeBKK

i HATE being sandwiched between vehicles doing 120+ and some idiot drives right up your ass so close hes nearly touching your back wheel

usually happens on the racetracks roads that lead to the airport and other places with high speed traffic

its as if theyre trying to encourage you to speed up but you cant anyway because of a blocking vehicle in front

You're going too slow.

If you're on a bike how can you be blocked by a vehicle in front? Twist your wrist and go around them.

By traveling faster than everyone else you no longer have to worry about getting run over by a speeding Benz of Fortuner smile.png

when your already doing 120+ in the dark or poor visibity and the roads are wet or and you are carrying a terrified passenger or many other reasons going faster is not always safer

under optimal conditions of course ,i will blast past them at 160+ but i dont like doing that when the gap is too narrow or the driver is driving erratically ,i know you can squeeze a motorcycle between most gaps but there might be that time that you cant

i dont like to go too fast through a tight gap in case because it leaves no room to swerve if there was a object on the road like a big shard of twisted metal i saw on the way to pattaya last week ,if i hit that at 160km there wouldt be much to scrape up ,even a big pothole could destroy you at warp speed :)

people on 4 wheels dont have to worry much about traction or small objects on the road

the important thing about motorcyles is ,try not to killed on your journey :)

I still remember nearly getting rear-ended by a white Lexus SUV on the Bosang intersection. The lights were on amber so I slowed down expecting not to make it across as it turned red. The retard in the Lexus blew his horn and nearly hit me, good thing I was looking at one of the mirrors and moved aside otherwise I'd be in a lot of pain. He was blowing his horn at me as if it was my mistake (light goes yellow means slow down, in most civilized parts of the world doesn't it). I was furious and was about to take my helmet off and throw it at his windshield and thought of the practicalities of a biker chain. Then I remembered, I'm not in my own country., the driver probably had a gun (luxury car, special plates, arrogant attitude and all), and wise words from an old and wise Englishman who was a mentor to me of sorts, "Two wrongs don't make a right" In the end I just ignored the sorry excuse for a human being and waited for the light to turn green and then sped away.

Things would have probably gone differently if I was in my hometown though...

One of the first things they teach you in basic MSP riders course is lane position and to NEVER stop in the middle of a lane where you can be taken out by someone running the light. MUCH safer to stop between lanes. Doubly so here in Thailand!

Right on... If I had stopped in the middle of the lane I think I wouldn't have been able to move aside in time... Still, initially I felt really angry because I could have been hurt or worse. All this time being such a boy scout and following all the rules... and then this moron nearly runs me over. The feeling of anger subsided a few minutes later into a feeling of being lucky and fortunate, the kind of feeling that gets you to say to yourself," I guess someone was watching over me up there that day..."

You're going too slow.

when your already doing 120+ in the dark or poor visibity and the roads are wet or and you are carrying a terrified passenger or many other reasons going faster is not always safer

under optimal conditions of course ,i will blast past them at 160+ but i dont like doing that when the gap is too narrow or the driver is driving erratically ,i know you can squeeze a motorcycle between most gaps but there might be that time that you cant

i dont like to go too fast through a tight gap in case because it leaves no room to swerve if there was a object on the road like a big shard of twisted metal i saw on the way to pattaya last week ,if i hit that at 160km there wouldt be much to scrape up ,even a big pothole could destroy you at warp speed smile.png

people on 4 wheels dont have to worry much about traction or small objects on the road

the important thing about motorcyles is ,try not to killed on your journey smile.png

I agree with you, just because you can do something doesn't mean you blarge on like a headless chicken and do it, I read the traffic in front of me and proceed with caution, do I ride between cars - well yes but only after I accessed the risk and observed the driving styles of both drivers, everyone drives to their own level and as I have said many times on this forum I would never encourage promote or try to convince someone about something I deem risky on a public road as good pratice , I do however try and point out the risks helping someone make their own choices, also your ride will make some of those choices for you, if you don't have the power to perform and exercise certain options with safety then that is a major factor.

One thing I notice in Thailand perhaps more than other countries is how some car/truck drivers feel intimidated by large motorbikes, they simply don't like being passed and can become quite agressive in trying to hinder your progress, the amount of lunatics in cars minivans SUV's etc that have tried to get ahead of me or just keep up is unbelievable and the danger they put themselves and other road users in is just crazy, on those occasions I try and do again one of two things, drop back or show with absolute certainty they are wasting their time even trying to keep up - dropping a couple of gears and a twist is usually enough for them to realise that if isn't going to happen

Edited by smedly

Lane splitting

Lane splitting refers to a two-wheeled vehicle moving between lanes of vehicles that are proceeding in the same direction. More narrowly, it refers to passing stopped or slower moving traffic between lanes at a speed greater than surrounding traffic.[1][2] It is also sometimes called lane sharing, whitelining,[3] filtering, or stripe-riding.[4] Alternatively, lane splitting has been used to describe moving through traffic that is in motion while filtering is used to describe moving through traffic that is stopped.[5][6]

Lane splitting by motorcycles is generally legal in Europe, and in Japan and several other countries, and is illegal in many U.S. states, but is considered lawful in California (see list below).

Link:

Of course this has nothing much to do with road rage. Can you please try to say on topic? passifier.gif

OK, now i have learned that the term "filtering" is used to describe "a technique used by bicyclists and motorcyclists to pass a stopped or slow-moving lane of congested traffic by traveling in unused lane space". Thank you. So you say that in this video it is slow moving traffic? Up to you to ride like you prefer to do. Its hard enough to survive on thai streets. Everyone is somehow trying to stay alive.

Of course i am filtering through stopped or slow moving traffic myself. But imo it gets dangerous if you do it at higher speeds. But i said before, difficult to say by watching a video. You are doing speeds between 100 and 120 kmh. For you this may be "slow", for me on a Tiger Boxer it is "high speed" smile.png

... if you don't have the power to perform and exercise certain options with safety then that is a major factor.

Exactly, well spoken. I guess in "Tony world" there shouldn't be such bikes like the Tiger Boxer. They have not enough power for a safe ride. They are only useful for shopping tours in the city smile.png

Edited by wantan

Come on in!

And not road rage but what can happen in the blink of an eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU8u8wI6SN0

Do you reckon that Kentucky redneck video as frightening as it, is staged or for real ?? Reason I ask is that two bikers of reasonable size wearing protective gear against one redneck who has just about killed one of them. Ok he gets out of truck with stick but the ensuing conversation seems a little bit polite and lacking in expletives not to mention shoving the rednecks head up the exhaust of his quad bike... nice road though

Come on in!

And not road rage but what can happen in the blink of an eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU8u8wI6SN0

Do you reckon that Kentucky redneck video as frightening as it, is staged or for real ?? Reason I ask is that two bikers of reasonable size wearing protective gear against one redneck who has just about killed one of them. Ok he gets out of truck with stick but the ensuing conversation seems a little bit polite and lacking in expletives not to mention shoving the rednecks head up the exhaust of his quad bike... nice road though

The car door one reminds me of an experience on Doi Suthep.. coming down the hill following a shitty Renault full of young folks went to pass on outside on LH curve and guy opened his door slightly.. was puzzled what he was trying to do.. throw something out, get rid of bee.. only occurred to me later that he was playing games with me. I overtook on next curve and didn't see him again but just puzzled why at times an overtaking bike infuriates or drives irrational behaviours in some car drivers

Hi Tony wai.gif

I filter whenever I can, and split if I think it is safe... both are not legal in Australia, and I understand not legal in the US, even in California, but is tollerated in CA where the traffic is moving at speeds under 25mph...

Unlike what Tony said, here in Aus, you are not taught to stop between two lanes, but always in the middle of the lane, in gear, watching your mirror, ready to make a fast exit if the car approaching isn't looking like stopping...

Good practice, and what I always do, is filter the the front, and then move into one lane or the other... otherwise you can be stuck between moving cars if you stall, or think you are in 1st but in neutral whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif , or one car or the other decides to take you on in the traffic light grand prix...

As for the road rage in the OP... the guy was probably out of line to kick the car, but I doubt he would have done any damage to her car... I can't say that I have never done the mirrors of a car that has intentionally closed the gap to prevent me filtering, or my favourite, open the back door so the drvier has to get out and close it... I wouldn't do it if they just f^cked up... only if they have intentionally put me in harms way...

That said, I can easily imagine if I was in the drivers (not riders) seat... a woman alone, with some angry rider running at my car with menace, looking to do me harm, that I would put my foot down and try and take off... as stupid as it was...

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo

Lane splitting

Link:

OK, now i have learned that the term "filtering" is used to describe "a technique used by bicyclists and motorcyclists to pass a stopped or slow-moving lane of congested traffic by traveling in unused lane space". Thank you. So you say that in this video it is slow moving traffic? Up to you to ride like you prefer to do. Its hard enough to survive on thai streets. Everyone is somehow trying to stay alive.

Of course i am filtering through stopped or slow moving traffic myself. But imo it gets dangerous if you do it at higher speeds. But i said before, difficult to say by watching a video. You are doing speeds between 100 and 120 kmh. For you this may be "slow", for me on a Tiger Boxer it is "high speed" smile.png

... if you don't have the power to perform and exercise certain options with safety then that is a major factor.

Exactly, well spoken. I guess in "Tony world" there shouldn't be such bikes like the Tiger Boxer. They have not enough power for a safe ride. They are only useful for shopping tours in the city smile.png

Nothing wrong with a Tiger Boxer, but if you're on a bike or scooter with a top speed of ~110-120kph it would probably be safer for you to stay off the main highway and ride on the shoulder or frontage road with the other scooters. What is "high speed" to a Tiger Boxer is "normal speed" to bigger bikes.

You described in your previous post the fear created by being "boxed in" with a car blocking you in front and another inches from your back wheel. This is not a good place to be.

Basic riding courses will teach you to divide your lane into 3 mini-lanes and for your own safety you should be be riding in the safest mini-lane- that is, the lane that affords you the best opportunity to see and be seen by other vehicles and also to be able to spot obstacles on the road with as much fore-warning as possible.

lanepos11sm.jpg

Generally speaking the "B" mini-lane is the worst place to be.

I recommend you do a little reading on the subject- riding motorcycles is a dangerous pastime, but a little knowledge can help tip the odds in your favor :)

Thanks for inspiration Tony, you are right, i don't like riding theory. And i always hated school :)

For those interested, here is a link to such lane positioning theory. I find it interesting, but you should take care in real world using it imo. There are too many things to consider in real life to make such "the best is you do X and avoid Y"-statements. But its always good to share some experience. E.g. i always try to find a gap and get in front at red traffic light, cause i fear someone crashes into my back. Same in slow moving traffic. I learned that i feel safer when "filtering" in slow moving traffic. Best is to never stop in tight traffic. I got this knowlegde by myself/instinc/experience without someone teaching me.

Wow, road rage. I hate such things. Its difficult to stay calm when someone is trying to kill you. But we should learn it, because we quickly end up in prison for a while if we don't do so.

Thanks for inspiration Tony, you are right, i don't like riding theory. And i always hated school smile.png

For those interested, here is a link to such lane positioning theory. I find it interesting, but you should take care in real world using it imo. There are too many things to consider in real life to make such "the best is you do X and avoid Y"-statements. But its always good to share some experience. E.g. i always try to find a gap and get in front at red traffic light, cause i fear someone crashes into my back. Same in slow moving traffic. I learned that i feel safer when "filtering" in slow moving traffic. Best is to never stop in tight traffic. I got this knowlegde by myself/instinc/experience without someone teaching me.

Wow, road rage. I hate such things. Its difficult to stay calm when someone is trying to kill you. But we should learn it, because we quickly end up in prison for a while if we don't do so.

Thanks Tony and Wantan for the riding tips. I've never had a lesson and only learnt to ride in Thailand, so have made a few mistakes. Even though i have tried to read up on stuff, there is nothing like practical experience to learn things and put theories to the test. In NSW Australia the handbook talks about buffering, which i have instinctively worked out myself and i do find that this way of describing it is simpler for me to understand (maybe because i am Australia?!). Learning to buffer or mini-lane will definitely give you a good chance to keep away from d_ickheads and potential road rage!!!

post-70604-0-05751700-1332830110_thumb.j

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/motorcycle_riders_handbook.pdf

Billy Ray got out with a tire iron. He could just as easily have had a shotgun in his truck.

Billy Ray got out with a tire iron. He could just as easily have had a shotgun in his truck.

funny you mention that as thats exactly what i thought when the truck pulled to a stop.. spent a few years in TN and rednecks there same as kentucky are not afraid of much.. sorry let me redo that.. dont have the brains to be afraid of much. Billy Bob certainly seemed to have his denims in a knot re bikes.... he dun right ornery about dem motorbikes.

But to add some brevity

Redneck comes home to trailer park and finds his wife dead on floor

Calls 911

911.. Fire Ambulance or Police ??

Bobby Joe.. well don't right know..my wife she dun dead right on floor

911.. is there any sign of a struggle or violence sir

Booby Joe.. nope but place is a mess as always.. she was always fixin to clean it

911.. In that case sir ill send an ambulance.. what is your address

Bobby Joe... 20200 Eucalyptus avenue

91.. sir can you spell that for me

Bobby Joe.. how about I drag her down to Oak street and you can meet me there

• Like 1

One of the first things they teach you in basic MSP riders course is lane position and to NEVER stop in the middle of a lane where you can be taken out by someone running the light. MUCH safer to stop between lanes. Doubly so here in Thailand!

Albeit in the USA but this is one tip I have always followed.

Anytime I stopped behind a car at a light I always positioned myself to the left

as a possible escape route. No lane splitting allowed where I come from but

I would not hesitate to pull up along side a car if need be rather than be sandwich

crushed between them

If a car was not slowing with me (right behind me ) After stopping I then kept my eyes glued to the mirror

watching the next car approach from behind.

I swear there is nothing more scary than seeing some lady approaching from

behind with her face up to her mirror putting on lipstick or something.

At least you have an option if it looks like they are not paying attention & may not make

the stop in time.

Ive tried listening to what he is saying but any clue as to what his beef against bikes is .... ??

Ive tried listening to what he is saying but any clue as to what his beef against bikes is .... ??

I get the impression he lives in the area and is pissed off with bikers using it as a race track

I get the impression he lives in the area and is pissed off with bikers using it as a race track

Probably interferes with his whittlin in the rockin chair on his porch next to the 10 broken down washing machines, 3 broken down TV's and other assorted parphenalia that rednecks like to keep so close

Betty Mae.. Im tellen ya.. one dese days im plum going lose it with these moto bikers.. Im fixen to go get my gun... yep believe I right might do dat.

Betty Mae... lock Belveder in the hound house and don't be taking all day about it and while your up get me a beer and when's your sister coming over Uh huh Uh huh.. she's right pretty..only girl wots got all her own teeth in the county

LMAO @ Monty

+1

Sounds like Monty has first hand experience and maybe is a good ol' boy his self ! cowboy.gif

yes to the first hand experience, 5 frickin years of it but no to good ole buy.. in fact we decided to leave TN when the children started sounding like Forest Gump... " mama yor pullin my haaaaair"

• Like 1