Fugitive Ex-PM Thaksin Promises To Return To Thailand In Full Glory

webfact

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all making less and less sense. Thaksin says he wants reconciliation, so does Yingluck, the red shirts have their party in power and unlikely to lose it any time soon and the army will stay in their barracks so long as Mr T stays out of politics and sticks to bunkers on the golf courses of Dubai. So why doesn't he?

That is the definition of Thailand.

"Abhisit called on the court to clarify its work process to the public to ensure transparency. He said Thaksin's action not only ruins the credibility of the justice system, but also adds more fuel to the unsettled political conflict".

Elections have essentially settled political conflict, with political disagreements continuing, as is the case in all Democracies.

you believe that you believe anything

Perhaps it is an issue of word-choice for you, ... ?

If political conflict is settled via elections, that doesn't mean that political disagreements disappear.

That does describe the political environment in the functional democracies I know.

I think the problem arises when political conflict is not handled in the arena of the society's democratic systems, eg : free speech, suffrage, and political participation.

Abhisit seems to say that there is still an unsettled political conflict. I agree with CalgaryII that there certainly is an unsettled political disagreement regarding Thaksin and the issues surrounding him, but the last political conflict was voted on in July.

How many Farangs decided to pack up and leave when Thaksin was in power? How many will decide to leave if he returns?

Interestingly, I was just thinking of how things have been going down hill for foreigners ever since Yingluck has been in office. With Thaskin back, it would be exceedingly worse I would think.

The sad thing is, that, had he not been so unrelentingly corrupt and greedy, Mr. Thaksin would have gone down as the best PM Thailand ever had. He brought the virtually disenfranchised Issarn area full into the political process, basically for the first time ever. He handled the '97-98 financial crises with such adroitness that even the IMF was impressed and he basically spearheaded Thailand's vault into being taken seriously as an economic force. It wasn't too many years previous (1988) to his taking office that the Asian Wall Street Journal had this to say about Thailand's economic prospects "As long as Thailand's national industry continues to be prostitution, who is going to take it seriously as a place to do business?"

It is too bad that he chose corruption over continuing good works to ultimately define his tenure as PM. My proposal for Thaksin is simply bring him back, make him "do some time" (6 months at least) and give back a share of his ill-gotten gains. Yeah & that'll happen "meuarai moo bin". But none of this BS about him "returning in full glory" unless there is a hankering for a bunch more bloodshed....

• Like 1

In the meantime, Thaksin called on the yellow shirt detainees to be patient, saying that he is negotiating with the judges to help them. In the event that the government has no money to bail out yellow shirts, he will use his own money to bail everyone out.

Thaksin go to hell!!!!!! jap.gif

How many yellow shirts are waiting to get out on bail?

I remember hearing the figure of 79 being bandied about but I'm 100% sure that it was shown that there was only one and that he was in a Cambodian jail.

Thanks. It doesn't surprise me.

Given the loyalties of The Nation & TANN, I would have expected them to report on PAD members being held and awaiting bail or being refused bail. But I had not seen anything like that reported.

Funny how you fall into such a minority of posters-thinking this way, I can see you do have some valid points at times but mostly your view is certainly not the norm, all MPs have some Qualities--some more than others, but to lean towards a most corrupt party-and a party that cannot manage a country properly-who have a coalition majority and elected to govern, but really have no Idea, the money for 70 bil rail--6 bil for TAT................then healthcare probs for the poor with little money.

Now the sad return of Thaksin, will create who knows what turmoil. = damage/unrest. Most Thais seem to have the knack of EASILY spending money that is NOT theirs, (tablets come to mind)

The bashers may wish to go and listen to the actual statements in Thai.

There seems to be a wee bit of latitude shown with the TAN translation.

There always is from the bias network.

What are the actual statements, geriatrickid?

Please.

Ralph is also welcomed to have a go, as well.

Edited by Buchholz

I am sure that is what Benigno Aquino thought before landing at Manila!

Holy crap... Spot on! Imagine .. Ninoy knew he was dying so he "faked" his assassination... What if Thaksin does the same?

Oh wait... Thaksin doesn't have the balls to do anything that elaborate. He doesn't compare at all to Ninoy. Ninoy made a real sacrifice, while Thaksin will just keep sacrificing the idiot red shirts.

How many Farangs decided to pack up and leave when Thaksin was in power? How many will decide to leave if he returns?

Here is my guess :

A number that approaches zero....

Pretty pompous a quote like that.

And how more wrong you could be. I personally am planning on leaving simply because of how much he has mangled and damaged the country just to this point.

If truth were that his return was imminent, then that would only hasten my scheduled departure.

The same reason I left the USA when Dubyah was elected.

And my guess is that I am not alone.

I would be more than happy to see him return; put Thailand back into full prosperity and kick-out CIA/western political influences. Welcome back Thaksin!

Yep. It's that da_n CIA again. Always ruining everything for somewhat-educated, paranoid, Westernized individuals all over the world. No one else bears any responsibility for the world's problems. It's definitely the West that is the cause of all the world's crises (not to mention, economies, whoops!). By the way, man, corporations own our souls and stuff. You gotta stop buying Apple, man, because they, like, hurt the environment. I can't wait for "full prosperity". Does that mean that everyone is rich or just your buddies?

Edited by Unkomoncents

"The ex-leader also urged the red shirts not to take aggressive action against the Opposition Party but to express their willingness for negotiation to foster national reconciliation"

Quite difficult to have a willingness for negotiation with ones' opposite, when that opposite is disdainful.

Thaksin don´t care about reconciliation, he don´t care about democracy.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/4293-thaksin-democracy-is-not-my-goal/

Here is my guess :

A number that approaches zero....

Pretty pompous a quote like that.

And how more wrong you could be. I personally am planning on leaving simply because of how much he has mangled and damaged the country just to this point.

If truth were that his return was imminent, then that would only hasten my scheduled departure.

The same reason I left the USA when Dubyah was elected.

And my guess is that I am not alone.

Certainly I don't mean to sound pompous - It's just my guess... B)

But I say that because IMO the lives of most Farang don't change too much based on who is the PM in Thailand. I don't know any Farang who came to Thailand or left Thailand due to the political situation.

There always is from the bias network.

What are the actual statements, geriatrickid?

Please.

Ralph is also welcomed to have a go, as well.

go and listen to the speech.

BTW, the use of the term "Full Glory", appears to be off as well. The Manager is translating the expression as "elegant", meaning with dignity and bearing. Don't believe me? Read the Korat Post for it's version of this term.

As those who are fluent in Thai will attest, expressions can have different meanings. To make representations to discuss can be interpreted to mean negotiate. It can also mean using third parties to make appearances before the judicial body deciding the bail. However, as I am sure that Bucholz and others wish to listen to the full call, I recommend that they contact Teeyai Poonsrithanakul.

Fools may wish to believe the actual statements in any language.

Fools may also wish to believe liberal translations of statements such that they cast someone in the most negative light. As I wrote previously, the word elegant does convey a different intent than the expression "full Glory".