Riding During Songkran, Feasible?

barefoot1988

@ richard_smith237

Similarly I've had some awesome Songkran experiences, starting with the visit to the Temple, washing the Monks etc, then outside, into the Temple grounds for a full on aqua fest with anyone who was game. But respecting anyone who wasn't 'up for it', elderly, young kids etc.

Last year was in the back of a pick-up truck with a 44 gallon drum, a HUGE block of ice and someplace near the beach. Had a blast ... best time ever.

But one time was in Pattaya, and the drunken idiots have no idea. I've mentioned it before but there was one 'Farang' who hired a water truck and proceeded to use the filling hose as a water cannon in a similar fashion to the way they break up rioters in Europe.

The concept of Songkran (after the respect thing etc) is Sanok ... hard to explain to people until you celebrated with the Thais away from the drunken (mostly tourist) element.

@ longstebe didn't mean to offend with the 'Pattaya comment' ... just that they are where it's worse.

Actually, being a rider there are two things can get you with a full face.

One is the white clay they tend to smear on everything. If there is some on the visor then mixing with the water can temporarily blur your vision and ...

With a full-face you have little periphery vision and a full bucket of water side on can be very distracting because you are instantly thinking <deleted>

Edited by David48

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you should be wearing a full faced helmet at all times on a bike anyway (ideally passenger also but driver for sure )

its hard to feel sorry for someone who crashes his bike because water went in his eyes

It's hard not to agree with this statement.

It's hard to agree with it.

You're forgetting about the dirt, but esp. about the POWDER.

And as some have pointed out, the sheer force of the water and ice.

You see, the whole purpose IS malicious. It's to cause an accident if at all possible, for the fun of it. No effort is spared.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

@ David48

It was just some light hearted fun.

I don't think water being thrown over you would make you go blind for a few seconds but oil probably would.

Driving a bike 40-50 kmph and the unexpectedly being hit by a bucket of water will certainly make you go blind for several seconds, or being thrown off the bike.

In all honesty if its Sonkran, you're riding and you're approaching a bunch of people at the side the road standing next to a drum of water, if you get splashed "unexpectedly" you probably shouldn't be riding a motorcycle period.

I'm not advocating the splashing practice but if someone rides during this festival they should expect to arrive wet.

Obvously you have never been on the roads during songkran. People are actually hiding and then jump out on the road with their buckets.

• Like 1

Trouble is, as usual, we have people flapping their gums here on a topic that they really don't know anything about, have never experienced it. I HAVE as a bike is my only form of transportation, and that's why I'm outta here during Songkran. :) No need to suffer the danger and inconvenience.

^

well ,then youre irresponsible and shouldnt be on the road

nobody should be driving a vehicle without good eye protection

theres ,flying dust,insects ,small stones kicked up by the traffic in front of you and not to mention that heavy rain

is also known to fall from the sky ,even when it isnt Songkran

i seen a police man getting a huge bucket of water poured over his head and soaked his dry uniform when a pick up puled alongside his motorbike

so if they did it to him ,a farang isnt going to have much chance

I don't think insects and sudden rainstorms can be compared to having a bucket of water thrown in your face. I have been hit in the eye by many insects in the UK (due to my habit of riding with the visor up) and it never caused me to lose control. There is plenty of time to lower your visor no matter how sudden a rain shower may be.

I will continue to believe that people who throw buckets of water into motorcyclists faces are the idiots. There's no reason why one should be forced to ride everywhere with the visor down.

Seeing that this post was cross-posted into an addition topic in General, let me also add the same answer I already posted in the Chiang Mai forum:

---

I have a rule for my family to never splash motorbikes unless they are stationary and clearly participating in the festivities. It's also better to not even 'pretend-threaten' a motorbike, because you will still distract his attention from traffic, cause him to swerve, etc.

A lot of people think it's a great joke to take a big (but empty) bucket and make a huge show-hurl motion at a motorbike. That can be almost as bad as actually throwing water; it distracts the riders attention from where it should be and is very disorienting; some riders would involuntary 'lean' into the direction from where they expect the force to come from, causing them to move left, on to wet/muddy patches and before you know it they fall or hit a post.

The above, and more, is in my "Parent's Guide to Songkran" which will be coming to a forum near you very soon.

^

theres ,flying dust,insects ,small stones kicked up by the traffic in front of you and not to mention that heavy rain

i seen a police man getting a huge bucket of water poured over his head and soaked his dry uniform when a pick up puled alongside his motorbike

I will continue to believe that people who throw buckets of water into motorcyclists faces are the idiots. There's no reason why one should be forced to ride everywhere with the visor down.

i didnt say theyre not idiots ,but unfortunately its their country and they have the right to be idiots ,try telling 65,000,000 thais that throwing water on moving vehicles could be dangerous and see how they react

i didnt say theyre not idiots ,but unfortunately its their country and they have the right to be idiots ,try telling 65,000,000 thais that throwing water on moving vehicles could be dangerous and see how they react

I tell it to everyone near me when out playing water. Thais, foreigners included.

(Though it's also not very likely I'm out playing water along a road with fast moving traffic)

^

What I was trying to say, was that it is in no way irresponsible to ride a motorcycle with your visor up, in my opinion. I haven't had a motorbike in Thailand for the last six years so it's a moot point for me. It might be risky to do so during Songkran in Thailand, if that's what you are saying...

Using your car, if you have one, is certainly a better option. If you are in heavy traffic, be sure your windows are up, and your doors locked. They will pull on the handle in hopes of soaking the inside of your car.

^

I'm guessing " Er, oooooohh" or " Hahahahahahahahahahaha Falang says it's dangerous.Where's my keys, I need more whiskey." for about half that number.

Also why do many gay men suddenly think it's ok to come upto you and just grope your <deleted> ?

they do ? where do you celebrate songkran ? ohmy.png

Bang Saen and Bangkok. I'll never be able to get the image of Shane Mcgowans Thai cousin out my head who grabbed my sweatys after wanting to put water on the Farang while stuck in the traffic on Sukumvit going to Bang Saen and the wife just wetting herself laughing. rolleyes.gif

Followed by some obese old bird shouting "You no want him, you want me, we go bangalow bap, bap". I'll pass on both thaanks.

• Like 1

is this normal? I would hate to be blinded by water, ouch!

You notice the guy didn't even look to see if the girl on the back was ok?!

That was my first observation!!!! He should have checked her first...

But anyway, i remember a couple of years back i thought id take one last ride up Doi Suthep to Doi Pui before Songkran kicked in. This was a day or two days before Songkran officially was to begin. A short while past the temple was a bunch of guys at the side of the road, very drunk, pumping out music, with barrels of ice water. I was fast enough to get away, but considering the nice dramatic edge that i could have fallen down, it was not a fun premonition if something were to have gone wrong. Used to enjoy going up with no helmet too at that time, as i felt invincible (not any more), so really could have been potentially messy.

My bike now stays stationary for Songkran, as well as a couple of days before hand. (Do go out in the evening on it, but not much around the areas where idiots seem to ignore the evening rule).

you should be wearing a full faced helmet at all times on a bike anyway (ideally passenger also but driver for sure )

its hard to feel sorry for someone who crashes his bike because water went in his eyes

OK tough guy...try getting 5 gals of water with large chunks of ice in it directed into your face while riding. Ask my buddy Rodger. He the one with only one leg now. You can see him around Chiang mai still riding. His leg wasn't amputated. It was torn off in his crash. Songkran 2005. Love to see you tell him this idiot comment.

I have no problem telling him he's an idiot. If you are not smart enought to ride slowly at Songkran, slow enought that water in the face will cause problems then one shouldn't ride. If he had his leg amputated because it got torn up them he must have been travelling very fast or not thinking about the other vehicles around him. Many have used a motor bike during Songkran for over 20 years without an issue, yours truely being one. You ride to survive.

OK tough guy...try getting 5 gals of water with large chunks of ice in it directed into your face while riding. Ask my buddy Rodger. He the one with only one leg now. You can see him around Chiang mai still riding. His leg wasn't amputated. It was torn off in his crash. Songkran 2005. Love to see you tell him this idiot comment.

well sir ,either you are talking through your ass or it took a olympic grade athlete to throw 5 gallons of water any distance at all

have you any idea on the weight of five gallons of water or are you just spouting random shit in the hopes people will listen ?

what speed was he doing to have a body part as large as a leg ripped off by a bucket of water ?

do you ever think about reality before you make a post ?

The guard rail did the actual amputation. Reality. I seldom talk through my ass. 5 gallons US measurement equals 41.75 Lbs. Hell I'll bet even you could empty that bucket at someone from the back of the pickup about 5 feet away from someone on a bike. Now here is another fact...Songkran activities and the people involved can vary within Thailand. Things can be like the one poster earlier described as a pleasant BBQ and nice fun. It can also be exactly the opposite. In 1997 on a trip down to Koh Chang I was stuck in traffic going through Trat for two hours, and had many, many 5 gal. buckets thrown on me from 3-4 feet away as I sat in the back of a songteaw. Then had a thai guy thinking he was gonna smear his mixture of talc and Tiger balm in my eyes, jumped in with me. I changed his mind. Songkran can vary in length anywhere from 2 days (Krabi) up to 7 days in many places. send me a PM and I'll send my buddy's cell number. You can even visit him and tell him what a whimp he was to go down. Face to face.

I have no problem telling him he's an idiot. If you are not smart enought to ride slowly at Songkran, slow enought that water in the face will cause problems then one shouldn't ride. If he had his leg amputated because it got torn up them he must have been travelling very fast or not thinking about the other vehicles around him. Many have used a motor bike during Songkran for over 20 years without an issue, yours truely being one. You ride to survive.

Conjecture. Rodger was being passed by a pickup load of nice people who tossed the ice and water. Now he has one leg. I might add that he also has about 40 years of riding bikes. Nice guy too who didn't deserve it. But he is only one out of HOW MANY killed or maimed each year?? I have also survived 45 years of riding motorcycles, but only 15 years in Thailand and other SE Asian countries so I will perhaps come to the same conclusions as I pass the 20 year mark. Bottom line is: It is not a place for beginner bike riders in Thailand on an average day, let alone during Songkran. Be careful out there and DO ride to survive. Agree with you there. "Live to Ride" but "Ride to Live"

So it's the drivers fault that some idiot threw water at him and caused the accident?

A Ridiculous point of view.

• Like 1

Classic example of blaming the victim. And fatuous self-congratulation on what has been as much luck as driving skill.

I agree w/ the point that one shouldn't drive a bike during Songkran--or only late at night after the "fun."

• Like 2

Oil

Sometimes they put that perfumed non-aqueous based liquid, camphor oil????, in the Songkran "water" mix along with talcum powder, shampoo, petals, etc.

Don't forget in Pattaya, the bar girls wash themselves in that water too. bah.gif

Oh, I see the Victim of this idiotic festival,is the one to blame then!

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

So it's the drivers fault that some idiot threw water at him and caused the accident?

A Ridiculous point of view.

See post #42.

I still agree with the first part of his ridiculous point of view though.

@ David48

It was just some light hearted fun.

I don't think water being thrown over you would make you go blind for a few seconds but oil probably would.

Driving a bike 40-50 kmph and the unexpectedly being hit by a bucket of water will certainly make you go blind for several seconds, or being thrown off the bike.

Even with a full face helmet?

Don't get me wrong though I wouldn't like to try.

oil or water, the visor keeps it out of your eyes, but doesn't clear immediately. try with a full face at home standing in your yard.

then try it unexpected at 50 kph