Daily Carnage

oldsailor35

passengers sitting unrestrained in the back of pick up trucks

How does someone who doesn't have a car (or a bike etc) travel then?

It's acceptable in Thailand ... to the Thais.

Dangerous ... sure ... but acceptable.

Bus, Train. It should just not be acceptable, attitudes like yours is the reason for so many deaths like the two young kids i recently saw die on the Suratthani to Donsak road. The poor little buggers never had a chance, mum and dad were safely buckled up inside. Totally irresponsible.

And in so many places where there are no buses or trains? What do they do? Not everyone lives in large towns or cities where they can hop on a bus.

yes it is dangerous but many do have to get from a to B to get to and from work etc.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why concern your self with what other people consider acceptable risk?

If it seems unsafe to you than your don't have to do it. This is a different place where people are allowed to judge for themselves how much risk they will take, and if they screw up they can't hit the state up for damages or make a big law suit. It is simply sum num na.

This society has not yet learned to be outraged at how their neighbors go about their business, but sure enough they will one day be submerged under regulations and taxed to death like everyone in the west.

Ever been turning left on a blind turn when some grinning maniac is turning right on YOUR side of the road???

Of course I have, and here I am wiser and more prepared for the next encounter. Thailand is the masters course in defencive driving. The locals don't seem to learn from their mistakes, but I do.

I've often wondered where an otherwise law abiding ferang would stand if "the family" descended upon his household & he finds himself having to drive against his better judgement with more bodies than seatbelts.

I'm very uneasy with it.

It is the car makers fault, Our smart cab pickup easily holds 6 or 7 in the front, but there are only belts for 2 :(

Personally i think we have too many laws in the West..That's bad for the economy and the quality of life.

I prefer the Thai way..With a pinch of common sense added..

If you drive, don't drink too much..If you are carrying people on the back of the pick-up, don't go too fast..If you sit there, take every precution not to fly away in case of sudden braking etc.

• Like 1

I've often wondered where an otherwise law abiding ferang would stand if "the family" descended upon his household & he finds himself having to drive against his better judgement with more bodies than seatbelts.

I'm very uneasy with it.

It is the car makers fault, Our smart cab pickup easily holds 6 or 7 in the front, but there are only belts for 2

The car maker???!!! What about your responsibility to buy and drive the car

Sorry missed the irony, to serious...

Edited by mackes

If it seems unsafe to you than your don't have to do it. This is a different place where people are allowed to judge for themselves how much risk they will take, and if they screw up they can't hit the state up for damages or make a big law suit. It is simply sum num na.

This society has not yet learned to be outraged at how their neighbors go about their business, but sure enough they will one day be submerged under regulations and taxed to death like everyone in the west.

Well said 100% agree alot of farang(especially on this forum) come here complain ,moan and compare everything to the western world if the western world is so great go back there , this is Thailand and it's the way this country operates and not only this country many others to like Cambodia and Vietnam for example.

I fully agree that sitting on the back of a truck is not a good practice from a traffic security point of view

and would be totally unacceptable in the west (Europe, America) where people can afford decent cars.

But you are not in the rich west here.

Thai people in the country side can't afford million baht cars, that's why pickups are economicly supported

by the government and so commonly used. In families with maybe 20 persons on one car.

Yes, there are a lot to do in the Thai traffic. Thailand have a by the Thai people elected government that

handles questions about traffic security among many other things. It is big picture with hard prioritizing.

Who are you coming here from another culture telling Thais how to run their country? You can hardly see

the full picture and understand what implications your suggested rule will result in. As a immigrant in a

country I think you have to accept a lot of things that doesn't feel right for you. And trust that the native

handle the running of the country.

And there are a mentality in the west to create laws to protect people from themselves. What about responsibility?

Oh yeah ! what about the company pick ups loaded with those myanmar workers, you saying that the building company cannot afford a decent bus ! Its all about money mate, nothing to do with poverty there. The hi so boss just could'nt give a stuff about the mob in the back of his pick up, i see them with loose planks of wood running from one side to the other for seating.

sitting at the back of a pick-up, what is the problem? Did it myself a couple of times.

No brains , no fear, no worries !

• Like 1

Taninthai..............we are not complaining, just stating facts and pointing out the irresponsible stupidity of the average Thai not to be able to see the on road dangers that the farang has been educated to handle. As usual, Thai knows best farang can teach us nothing.

Taninthai..............we are not complaining, just stating facts and pointing out the irresponsible stupidity of the average Thai not to be able to see the on road dangers that the farang has been educated to handle. As usual, Thai knows best farang can teach us nothing.

"Has been educated to handle" blalabla... bullshit!

This attitude give us who have some respect for our hosts a lot of problems . If you are so convinced that you are the best and know everything best please keep it for yourself, It's like visiting a friends house and tell him how to furnish his home so it suits you!

I just came from the hospital and saw a peasents family coming in a pickup with a very sick old man laying on the flatbed. How knows they might have save his life with a quick transport...

Edited by mackes
  • Like 1

"Has been educated to handle" blalabla... bullshit!

This attitude give us who have some respect for our hosts a lot of problems . If you are so convinced that you are the best and know everything best please keep it for yourself, It's like visiting a friends house and tell him how to furnish his home so it suits you!

I just came from the hospital and saw a peasents family coming in a pickup with a very sick old man laying on the flatbed. How knows they might have save his life with a quick transport...

now now don't get yer knickers in a knot. Attitude, your words not mine, just facts. And you are not quite right there, as i am using the road as well, so i have to face these irresponsible dangers daily. Nothing like going into some else's house... The emergency transport of a very sick old man is a completely different situation and quite acceptable, but just generally running around with passengers in the back and company transporting workers 'on the cheap' grrrrrrrr

<snip> and company transporting workers 'on the cheap' grrrrrrrr

Umm ... could you please indicate where, in Australia, where you come from, it's the responsibility of the employer to transport his workers in an urban environment?

Are your language skills good enough to talk with those workers (in the back of the truck) and ask them what they prefer ... or are you just making an observation and an assumption based on that observation?

Have you ever actually asked ANY of those who ride in the back of a Ute/Pick-up why they do it?

What amazes me is that Thai's adore children, but many are completely irresponsible regarding child safety. e.g. motorbikes with sidecars with young children sitting cross-legged on the very front edge of the sidecar. I realise the economic need for cheap family transport, but not to provide one iota of care I do not understand.

• Like 1

What amazes me is that Thai's adore children, but many are completely irresponsible regarding child safety. e.g. motorbikes with sidecars with young children sitting cross-legged on the very front edge of the sidecar. I realise the economic need for cheap family transport, but not to provide one iota of care I do not understand.

I believe they care, but they don't understand the risk.

Education is the answer, people here, especially in the country are on another level than people in the west.

There are efforts made to solve the issue but it takes time...

It's funny how westerners all the time compare countries on the other side of the globe as if it was the same as their native country...

Open your mind and you will understand! No magic about that, things were the same in Europe before education and awareness came in place.

<snip> and company transporting workers 'on the cheap' grrrrrrrr

Umm ... could you please indicate where, in Australia, where you come from, it's the responsibility of the employer to transport his workers in an urban environment?

Are your language skills good enough to talk with those workers (in the back of the truck) and ask them what they prefer ... or are you just making an observation and an assumption based on that observation?

Have you ever actually asked ANY of those who ride in the back of a Ute/Pick-up why they do it?

No responsibility as far as i know. But when they do it, they do it properly and safely, not just pack them in the back of a ute like sardines.

I agree that us foreigners need to understand that some things are different in Thailand, even if we don't like it.

I also agree that there is nothing we can do (except moan or make jokes on TV) about many of the things we don't like.

However, there are times when we can change things for the better, even if it's only on a micro level.

When I notice my Thai family or friends doing something I know to be potentially unsafe or unhealthy, especially when children are involved, I always try to intervene and provide some education, which has always been well received.

For any Thai people reading this, I am not trying to be condescending. I also learn a lot from my Thai family and friends.

When people from different cultures come together there is a great opportunity to learn from each other.

• Like 1

Well said 100% agree alot of farang(especially on this forum) come here complain ,moan and compare everything to the western world if the western world is so great go back there , this is Thailand and it's the way this country operates and not only this country many others to like Cambodia and Vietnam for example.

I agree 100% and of course its a monetary thing too like someone else said. Who are we to judge them. With this they don't put anyone but themselves in danger. Rant all you want when your put into danger but if people do this willingly to themselves let them.

Well i can guarantee you won't see it any where in Australia. If there is no room in the ute then sorry you miss out. That is the law and my point is, If it is not the law in Thailand, why not.

Is that a money back guarantee?? wink.png

Try remote Western Australia, northern territory, outback Queensland, country NSW. I've seen it in WA and QLD & NSW and have friends and family in NT who can vouch it is a daily occurrence there.

It might be the law ,but needs/necessity sometime outweigh that in people's minds.

Edited by BookMan

I fully agree that sitting on the back of a truck is not a good practice from a traffic security point of view

and would be totally unacceptable in the west (Europe, America) where people can afford decent cars.

But you are not in the rich west here.

Thai people in the country side can't afford million baht cars, that's why pickups are economicly supported

by the government and so commonly used. In families with maybe 20 persons on one car.

Yes, there are a lot to do in the Thai traffic. Thailand have a by the Thai people elected government that

handles questions about traffic security among many other things. It is big picture with hard prioritizing.

Who are you coming here from another culture telling Thais how to run their country? You can hardly see

the full picture and understand what implications your suggested rule will result in. As a immigrant in a

country I think you have to accept a lot of things that doesn't feel right for you. And trust that the native

handle the running of the country.

And there are a mentality in the west to create laws to protect people from themselves. What about responsibility?

Not sure what you are talking about; in every state in the US I know of it is quite legal to ride in the back of a pick up; there are a few restrictions on the highway though; no one under 16 etc. But it is legal.

Not sure what you are talking about; in every state in the US I know of it is quite legal to ride in the back of a pick up; there are a few restrictions on the highway though; no one under 16 etc. But it is legal.

My error...

My error...

In Singapore they mark the number of passengers allowed in each pick-up or similar, if I recall correctly.

Not sure if its still the case - four or five years since I was on the roads in Singapore; it was a relatively recent development though, since after I lived there ten years ago

SC

Yeah great let me know when in their drunken state or whilst chatting on a phone/ looking at something else other than the road they mow down your wife/daughter/self etc

Yeah great let me know when in their drunken state or whilst chatting on a phone/ looking at something else other than the road they mow down your wife/daughter/self etc

I think we were talking here about people in the back of a pickup truck not about drunk driving.. im pretty sure most people here would find that an idiotic dangerous irresponsible thing to do.

• Like 1

In the UK, when I was baby I had a baby seat - I've no idea how it was fixed in as cars then did not have rear seat-belts.

Once I was too old for the baby seat I sat in the rear seat unrestrained until which time cars started to be built with rear seatbelts which my parents made us use. Some years later a rear seatbelt law came in.

As a society our parents were unaware of many the dangers, their attention had simply not been drawn to such.

Through a series of Television campaigns which we still see today, the general public have been and are educated on the merits of belting up.

Thailand is a little different when compared to the West, climatic, economic and social differences mean the main source of transport for many is the scooter or pickup - both of which have little option for a safety harness. It's difficult to avoid the need for a family to travel around. To ban these forms of transport would be to impose 'nanny state regulations' (which many of us hate) onto the majority of the population.

IMO: The flaw in the system is that no one is really aware of the risks and safety issues. It would be extremely easy for the government to place greater emphasis on road safety and safe driving with advertisements at key times (i.e between the soaps).

Educate people and let them make their own choice. Wearing seat belts in the front and in the rear should be enforced. I'm not sure of the need for whole families to be on motorcycles, especially with babies, the bus here could be a better option, perhaps limit the roads they can travel on with more than 2 people etc...

I believe that blanket bans will not work, but at least by educating the people they will be permitted the option of making their own informed choice.

I agree with Richard. I am in awe of what Thais consider acceptible. I love children, but what I see going on, on a daily basis just bothers me. But, I can't get too concerned because there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. After a while you kind of get used to bodies being splattered on a regular basis. About 4 years ago I witnessed a terrible event at the underpass near the Chiang Mai Airport plaza. I won't call it an accident because the idiotic father caused the death of himself, his wife and their 3 children. None were wearing helmets. The guy passed me at speed while talking on a cel-phone and he didn't even slow down for the red light that Should have been easy to slow down for. The light had already turned red for at least 5 seconds and at least one vehicle had already gone through from the other direction when the bike rider blew the light. They were hit by a big truck who had no chance to stop. I stopped traffic with my big bike and ran to each victim. They were all either dead or unconcious, and blood was spattered everywhere. When there was nothing more I could do but phone the hospital for an abulance I left.

And, just forget the accidents for a moment. How about the idiotic hill tribe parents who use their young children as pawns in a begging game. The kids are so tired after begging all night they can't go to school the next day. I shake my head when I see all the scooter riders with masks over their face, but no helmet on their head.

• Like 1

We from the west are used to different standards and rules, rules that are enforced. Things are different here. Family transport is just that, that the way its been for a time now and no sees the dangers that we do. On the phone and on the move is a nightmare but its part of everyday life in Thailand, no time to stop and deal with it, there is not a moment to lose. "I have to be there first" no mia pen rae here then. It starts with having driving schools and proper driving tests although I think we all guess what would happen, same as checking the safety of vehicles, just another revenue stream developing, safety ads seem to be the best opotion that might slowly change the way people behave.

It is frustrating but there is nothing much we can apart from being aware and being prepared, drive safely and arrive in one piece.

It is also against the law. To travel in the back of a pick up, you should be in a seat that is fixed, firmly to the floor.

So I was once told?

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

It is also against the law. To travel in the back of a pick up, you should be in a seat that is fixed, firmly to the floor.

So I was once told?

jb1

jb1 ... I have no idea about if it is a Thai Law or not.

Though, I must admit, I never have seen a fixed seat in the tray area.

Edited by David48

• 10 months later...